Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2020, 20:03   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Volkswagen chalks out is plan for India aggressively with cost as the key driver:

- Current Vento and Polo will get the 1.0L TSI engine in MT and 6 AT(TC) combination. DSG discontinued.. The 1.0-litre, three-cylinder, direct-injection turbo-petrol motor develops 115hp.

- 1.0L TSI will be the main stay engine for the group, going forward

- No Diesel engine in the Compact SUV nor Sedans ( mass market)

- Top variant will get the 1.5L TSI engine

- 6 speed MT and 6 AT will be for most of the lower variants

- DSG will be reserved for the high end variants ( with 1.5L TSI)

- 6 Speed gear boxes are considered for localization for cost reasons

- Polo GT TSI mated to the 110hp 1.0 TSI in MT form will debut in India

- The Sedan ( Virtus) will also get these engine combinations but will arrive only in late 2021/ early 2022

- This philosophy will be applicable to Skoda as well

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th February 2020 at 20:10.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 11:18   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen India updates its portfolio:

Attachment 1965498
Looks like they are continuing with the 5 seat Tiguan? Has someone heard my prayers? Is 2.0TSI 5 seat Tiguan my long awaited Yeti replacement?
lambodara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 19:56   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambodara View Post
Looks like they are continuing with the 5 seat Tiguan? Has someone heard my prayers? Is 2.0TSI 5 seat Tiguan my long awaited Yeti replacement?
No, that is the left overs. That model will vanish on midnight March 31.

Join the long long queue of 5 seat Tiguan wishers
Old 12th February 2020, 15:10   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

The engines that will power most of the VAG products in India from April 2020.

1. The 1.5L TSI evo engine (image 1) produces a maximum output of 110kW (150 HP) & a maximum torque of 250Nm

2.The 1.0L TSI Petrol engine (image 2) produces a maximum output of 85kW (115 HP) & a maximum torque of 200 Nm.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 4447
Size:  294.3 KB

Source:Volkswagen

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th February 2020 at 15:11.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 22:21   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen's (& Skoda's )road map:

- Launches 1.0TSI BS6 engines on existing mass market products, introduces 6AT( TC) and discontinues TDI and DSG variants

- Gives TSI in MT variant and AT (TC) guise for lowering the pricing and thus increasing more mass market appeal.

- The diesels could return but it is at least two years away

- The 1.5 petrol TSi could come in the Vento ( In new Vento ?)

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2020 at 22:30.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2020, 08:54   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to look beyond SUV's for growth in India. But will refrain from going mass market and will position itself as a PREMIUM brand.

Past 2021, the group will be looking at adding a sub-4 metre hatchback and a small SUV.

Quote:
the company will have to develop an India-specific version of the Polo, which Knapp called the “backbone” of the brand in the country.
Quote:
Volkswagen is also considering a sub-4 metre SUV among other options on its India-specific MQB-A0-IN platform
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th March 2020 at 08:57.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:43   #577
BHPian

As per a report I read on IndianAutosBlog, India is likely to get the MK7 Polo straight in 2023 - 24. Are the geniuses in Volkswagen actually going to keep selling the 5th Generation Polo in India till then?

Makes me wonder, what do they think of the Indian Auto Industry? This is so not right and drastically affects my faith on a manufacturer. I hope they discontinue the Polo within the next 18 months and make the Vento their base offering similar to what Skoda had done with Fabia. Atleast, that showed some dedication & it was absolutely justified, exit the segment if you do not have a potential product rather than dragging an old horse when the World has moved on to much superior products.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:52   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Volkswagen to look beyond SUV's for growth in India. But will refrain from going mass market and will position itself as a PREMIUM brand.
Past 2021, the group will be looking at adding a sub-4 metre hatchback and a small SUV.
What will Skoda do then? Why on earth should VW compete with Skoda? Are they actually looking for an excuse to leave? And the second line about the small products directly contradicts their premium positioning. I don't understand what's going on at VW, sorry, SAVWIPL.
Old 20th March 2020, 14:47   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

VW diesels likely to make a comeback under India 2.0 project.

Quote:
Despite diesels being an intrinsic part of its product portfolio once, especially for the larger models, the company has opted for a petrol-only strategy for the time being to ensure a smooth transition into the stricter emission norms. However, as things unfold moving forward, diesels could make a comeback.
Quote:
sometime in 2021, VW will also focus on network expansion in the country. This could very well bring back the business case for a diesel offering. “The moment we are getting more into Tier 3 and Tier 4 cities, which we have to when ‘India 2.0’ comes into place, I’m pretty sure a diesel would make sense
The most likely candidate fitting the bill would be the 2.0-litre TDI diesel mill

Quote:
We’re actually testing it already and we are testing Euro 6 diesels in India, just to let them run and to see what is the reaction in terms of fuel quality and in terms of environment here
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th March 2020 at 14:51.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 19:08   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
As per a report I read on IndianAutosBlog, India is likely to get the MK7 Polo straight in 2023 - 24. Are the geniuses in Volkswagen actually going to keep selling the 5th Generation Polo in India till then?

Makes me wonder, what do they think of the Indian Auto Industry?
While all of us here pretty much share this sense of indignation at the ageing Polo continuing to be sold in India, in all recent interviews given by Stefan Knapp of VW, he has made it abundantly clear that their focus is almost solely on SUVs during the next couple of years. Given this approach, they will likely keep flogging this geriatric horse (current Polo) till they keep selling. The updated Polo has been ruled out due to price constraints and therefore, not likely to make it to our shores any time soon. Tragic, but likely true.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 21:33   #581
Distinguished - BHPian

VW 's Plans ahead:

- SUV TAIGUN will come only in 2021.
- 1.0L TSI in entry level
- 1.5L TSI in full feature
- 6 AT
- Target of 93% Localization at a later
- No AWD

- Tiguan All Space and T ROC- in stockyard, will be dispatched to dealers post lock-down scenario and to cutomers

- T ROC nearly sold out ( 2500 units?) and Tiguan Allspace has 50% sold out

- Sedan is next priority after Taigun in MQB A0 platform

- Global Polo being a > 4 m car is not a priority for India due to its re-engineering involved

-Jetta Ruled out for India, only available in LHD markets

- Golf could be brought for testing the markets ( 2500 units) but not a priority and is considered a niche market.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th April 2020 at 22:54. Reason: Jetta available only in LHD not RHD markets
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 22:22   #582
Senior - BHPian

Its a shame that VW despite being here for over 10 yrs dont have even 1% market share. All they needed to do was to replicate the Brazil SUV lineup here (build here & export as well). Just look at Kia could achieve!!!

What a lost opportunity!
Equus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 11:39   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Its a shame that VW despite being here for over 10 yrs dont have even 1% market share. All they needed to do was to replicate the Brazil SUV lineup here (build here & export as well). Just look at Kia could achieve!!!

What a lost opportunity!

Yes it is a shame, but the issues were VW are not only related to SUV portfolio. When a new brand or company launches they have to go the extra mile in terms of quality, service, courtesy and customer support. VW lacked almost at all levels. When I went to buy a Vento in 2009 the dealer had a buy if you wish attitude, they never offered a proper TD and were not transparent on the service costs or service packages and since then I tried again with a Jetta ( great car let down by terrible service ), infact all VW cars are good, the issue has been overpricing, underdelivering, in my opinion they could've priced all products lower, provided exemplary servicing, and made sure all features available abroad were available in India but we always paid more and got less options as well. My friend has a VW Passat, great car but when the AC compressor gave way suddenly within 2 years of ownership of a low mileage car, VW took 3 months to replace his AC compressor - sub standard service as he had to drive his only car without ac in peak summer for 3 months without AC or replacement car from VW.

They can recover themselves by still improving service standards, reasonable pricing and loaded to the gills equipment. Just have to do a mix of Kia pricing and features with Maruti servicing with Toyota / Honda reliability. Difficult ? I think not.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 21:38   #584
BHPian

It seems VW has revealed the prices of the BS-VI Polo along with engine options - details available here.
Do not see an updated webpage for the GT version as of now - as per the VW India website, it comes with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
Old 21st April 2020, 22:19   #585
BHPian

Quote:
VW diesels likely to make a comeback under India 2.0 project.

The most likely candidate fitting the bill would be the 2.0-litre TDI diesel mill
That's good news. It doesn't make sense to ignore diesel when you have an SUV based line up.

Quote:
-Jetta Ruled out for India, only available in LHD markets.
That's a shame. Previous gen Jetta was an amazing product.

Quote:
- Global Polo being a > 4 m car is not a priority for India due to its re-engineering involved
That means we will see the current generation Polo possibly for another 10 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks