Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:14   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

I am not sure why Indica eV2 has been left out as it still is the cheapest diesel machine in India with better quality and refined CR4 engine under the hood.

BSIV Delhi
LS: INR 460,544
LX: INR 503,577

The BSIII engines are even cheaper.

Am I missing something or it has been decided that Tata product cannot be considered for comparison?
i74js is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:16   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The public will not care. You and I will fret over technology & many other things. But the regular customer will see Maruti + FE.
+100.

Today, I heard one of my colleague excitedly telling her colleagues about Celerio diesel launch. I told her that it is a puny two cylinder 800 cc engine, but her response was "to kya? Maruthi hein na? Diesel bhi. Mileage bhi milega."

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:21   #198
BHPian

Celerio diesel has been launched in the price range of 4.65 to 5.71 Lacs today.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:21   #199
Senior - BHPian

To put pricing in prespective, Maruti launched the Swift diesel at 4.68 and 4.96 Lacs respectively in 2007. May be an unfair comparison, but still Celerio is overpriced for a 2 cylinder engine.
blue_pulsar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:28   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Attaching today's official press release here..

DDiS 125 makes Celerio India’s most fuel efficient car @ 27.62 kmpl
The Celerio diesel is India's most fuel efficient car now. It actually shows how efficient the multijet is, as the second most fuel efficient car, the Dzire diesel with an ARAI rating of 26.59 kmpl, gives hardly 1 kmpl less than the celerio, whilst offering way more power and refinement.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:28   #201
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to see how all those had a such major inhibitions against the Nano's 2-cyl engine now take to a Maruti 2-cyl diesel.

On the other hand, if people take to this unrefined and slow diesel from Maruti it opens the possibility for TML to consider introducing the diesel Nano. Its better from a marketing perspective as well since TML have shown with the Nano that they really suck at selling a new concept. Let someone else create the market first...
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:33   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ravradha : Celerio diesel has been launched in the price range of 4.65 to 5.71 Lacs today.
Pls check previous page. The details & variant wise prices are already posted.

Quote:
Steeroid : It will be interesting to see how all those had a such major inhibitions against the Nano's 2-cyl engine now take to a Maruti 2-cyl diesel.

But Steer, that's blasphemy ! We are talking of a Maruti here !!

Last edited by condor : 3rd June 2015 at 14:34.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:34   #203
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Am I missing something or it has been decided that Tata product cannot be considered for comparison?
Yes, it can be compared. I'll take a Tata into consideration if I plan to buy a taxi.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:41   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda i-DTEC proper 4-cylinder 1.5L heart puts out 26 kmpl, as per ARAI. We have had several ownership reports here in Team-BHP where owners have reported even better mileage from that fantastic powerplant.

Even the DZire & the Ciaz have proper 4-cylinder 1.3L DDiS hearts in them, and put out marginally better figures than the City.

I don't think a 2-cylinder, wheezy 800cc engine giving 27.6+ kmpl (as per ARAI) is any big achievement. But the mass market loves their diesels and the highlighted ARAI Fuel Economy numbers. Sales will come in, more so because of the Maruti-Suzuki badge.

Disappointing, but true.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd June 2015 at 14:42.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:45   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Yes, it can be compared. I'll take a Tata into consideration if I plan to buy a taxi.
Indica eV2, with its decently refined CR4 engine, good interior space and very good suspension is a far superior product. Yes, the interior design and ergonomics are flawed, but fundamentally, that is a much better engineered car. Do drive it to convince yourself

The thing is that a lot of people think that mileage is the most important consideration while buying the car, but they may realize that having the advantage of a more powerful engine is highly understated in India. At this price point I do not think this car would appeal to the majority of the Maruti customers- the Ritz makes more sense than this one any day.
Nissan1180 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:50   #206
BHPian

When the diesel Beat was launched, I sincerely believed that the price differential would be less compared to its petrol sibling - 4 cylinder v/s 3 cylinder. That would have been a real game changer for Beat. But alas.

Now, the one company which I hoped would have all the necessary ingredients to get the pricing right has floundered! In the current context, with pricing of petrol-diesel not being as irrational as earlier, I don't see the need for this engine at all.

But this is India and Maruti does not seem to be putting a foot wrong w.r.t products. So, consider a slight bump in billing number for Celerio in next month's article on sales. Sigh.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:51   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Indica eV2, with its decently refined CR4 engine, good interior space and very good suspension is a far superior product. Yes, the interior design and ergonomics are flawed, but fundamentally, that is a much better engineered car. Do drive it to convince yourself

The thing is that a lot of people think that mileage is the most important consideration while buying the car, but they may realize that having the advantage of a more powerful engine is highly understated in India. At this price point I do not think this car would appeal to the majority of the Maruti customers- the Ritz makes more sense than this one any day.
Indica CR4 engine returns 24 - 25 Kmpl as well and i know of people who have got as high as 27 kmpl without AC
Ritz also has some good discounts on offer, that makes it better VFM car.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:54   #208
BHPian

What also needs to been seen is the real-world drivability of this car. This is essentially a small engine with a turbo-charger. DDiS avatar of the Multijet is notorious for its turbo-lag and famous for the turbo-kick. Now, the kick will make sure there is a very strong mid-range which can be useful in highway overtaking. But the turbo-log affects the city drivability. If that is the case with an engine 1.5 times that of the Celerio's, have to see how Celerio diesel's low and mid range behave. I am sure at least one of them is compromised and most probably the mid-range i.e. Turbo kicks in pretty early and loses all the juice in the slightly higher rpms. I dont even want to think of the top end. Eagerly waiting for the test drive reports.

Last edited by Vigkey : 3rd June 2015 at 14:55.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:54   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

The LX of eV2 costs 6.01L on road Chennai. It doesn't have ABS/Airbags, Alloy wheels, steering adjustment etc, carries only 2 speakers as well.

Still want to compare it with the Celerio?

Edit: A request to the mods; if this car is reviewed, can you put up a video comparison of the sound of the engine inside/outside the car as against Grand i10 and the Beat.

That will be very useful for prospective buyers instead of only describing it in words.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 3rd June 2015 at 15:05.
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:55   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
6.7L (approx) on road Chennai for a diesel car with two airbags and ABS. I think it would be perfect for many families who cannot afford a Swift and don't like the shape of Ritz but want to stick with Maruti.

Ritz being in the ballpark shows how VFM that car is.
I don't think majority will overlook a grand i10 just because it is a Hyundai. Then there is Chevy Beat which is far superior than Celerio in every department and with discounts would cost only around 30k over Celerio. These days customer is spoilt for choice. Maruti cars are known for the value for money quotient and the diesel Celerio has a premium of 75k over an already expensive manual petrol variant.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks