Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 20:11   #136
BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Where are the Nano bashers. All of the sudden people mentality to accept 2 pot engine that too from CV. Weird and strange. Now people can service the car to the nearby Ape and Chotta Haathi mechanic. What is now? Nano is not a car Wait till Maruti launch similar car. Atleast Tata engineer know the limits of the engine and chassis hence restricted the top speed which is much more manageable.

Last edited by vijaycool : 27th May 2015 at 20:30.
vijaycool is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 22:44   #137
BHPian

1. A car that is better with more stable chassis and a bigger, tried and tested engine if offered for the same price as an inferior car that should be offered at 60-70k lesser price, if is to be sold at 60-70k lesser after 6-7 years, it makes sense to buy Beat economically.

2.1 good F.E numbers: lets say Beat diesel gives a mileage of 20 kmpl, and Celerio diesel 22 kmpl, just for the sake of it. I don't want a 2 cyl diesel for those 2kmpl more for sure. If still Celerio is not slower than Beat then this raises a question on it's structural rigidity, the lack of it.

2.2 Run a good 1 lakh km under warranty period. (For us personally keeping car for 3 years makes much economic sense) : you can run a Beat diesel for 1 Lakh km and 3 years, on the contrary, Celerio is the one coming up with a new engine thats yet to be tested in real usage scenarios.

2.3 Factor in the low cost of maintenance even after that: even Beat doesn't involve higher costs of maintenance.

2.4 Easy availibility of service: mist of us live in tier 1 or tier 2 cities, so sourcing parts shouldn't be an issue.

2.5 Satisfaction of paying Rs 10 less per litre of fuel: I don't get this. Both are diesel vehicles, they drink the same fuel.

2.6 Also with the safety regulations kicking in around October 2017 expect the small vehicle prices to go up 10-15 % there by suppressing the depreciation to a large effect (since Maruti depreciates much much slower). Resale value : if rising of new car prices would suppress depreciation, it would happen for the beat too. Regardless, somebody buying a car of this segment wants to keep it for 6-7 years and won't sell it in 2017. Even if you factor in some 10k benefit to resale value after 2-3 years, it doesn't matter at all.

2.7 Celerio Petrol is not a bad car after all: compared to a Beat petrol, Celerio doesn't stand a chance.

Now lets say Maruti indeed goes wrong for argument sake!

My saving grace is still the fuel economy number and it being maruti, there will always be takers for it: even if Maruti is right and it sets sales charts on fire, you end up buying a car for same money as the Beat diesel, which is not good and you are counting on unaware Maruti following crowd that would buy a Maruti even if its no good, aren't you doing the same thing?

I don't know whether this car with this new engine would be a success or not, my gut feeling says, yes, it would sale like hot cakes and command a huge waiting period, but it doesn't mean that we should buy it even if we get a better car for the same price.

Last edited by Eddy : 30th May 2015 at 12:58. Reason: Spacing for better readability
itsashishsharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 09:25   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I just hope that the Celerio diesel will not bomb MSILs image. If that's going to happen, either the car won't sell, or the brand itself will face tough times.
I dont see that happening to MSIL.
They have a few flops/market duds in their portfolio such as estilo, Versa, baleno & sx4 and to a lesser extent grand vitara & kizashi.
I am sure MSIL can absorb the R&D and other plant and machinery expenses even if the engine bombs.
The way I see it all the customers of the Celerio Diesel would do the final R&D of the engine for MSIL before they plonk it in their yet to be launched competitor to the Tata Ace.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 09:51   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
The way I see it all the customers of the Celerio Diesel would do the final R&D of the engine for MSIL before they plonk it in their yet to be launched competitor to the Tata Ace.
This is exactly my worry When customers are made to perform R&D, Maruti will end up doing a Tata. But I trust they have put in enough efforts on this one.

If this engine creeps into more cars, I don't see all customers being happy except those who are ONLY FE focused. Though MSILs focus was mainly towards FE all the while, it didn't mean that the engines were bad at other aspects. In fact they have brewed excellent petrol engines. Since this is a new territory they are venturing into, looks very crucial. Most of the people care more about the sound of the engine (case of the Nano), how smooth it is and such aspects as good as FE.
Old 28th May 2015, 10:02   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is exactly my worry When customers are made to perform R&D, Maruti will end up doing a Tata. But I trust they have put in enough efforts on this one.
I hope MSIL does considerably more R&D than TATA before selling them to paying customers.
I guess it is inevitable because mass production might bring on certain previously unanticipated or enexpected issues.
Many manufacturers issue recalls to certain parts generally in the early part of the product lifecycle sometimes due to complaint or issues that cropped up on customer cars.
No matter how many lakhs of kms you test the engine for it is sometimes inevitable to get minor issues.

Like I said earlier MSIL would be jumping in joy if the engine is accepted in the privately owned passenger car market.
If it doesnt do too well they would still have not wasted efforts and capital developing the engine as I am as sure as MSIL that their Nano competitor would be weel accepted in the market. I also imagine this engine would make its way into the Omni as well.
Old 28th May 2015, 18:21   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Celerio diesel official details leaked from Executive training.

Quote:
Celerio diesel will come in four variants, namely Ldi, Vdi, Zdi and Zdi(o). The top-end model will come offered with features like dual airbags, ABS with EBD like safety features along with alloy wheels, remote central locking system, Bluetooth equipped stereo system and steering mounted audio controls.
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails1.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails3.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails2.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails5.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails6.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails7.jpg
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieseldetails8.jpg

http://gaadiwaadi.com/maruti-celerio...leaked-521712/

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th May 2015 at 18:38.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 18:36   #142
BANNED

Source: http://gaadiwaadi.com/wp-content/upl...-details-1.jpg

If they are offering a "Smooth drive" from a 2-cyl Diesel engine, why did they postpone their 4-cyl engine because of "lack of refinement"? Probably, they will be benchmarking it against the smoother 1.3L DDiS.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 28th May 2015 at 18:43.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2015, 18:37   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for ^^

Now I understand why many companies (BPO at least) dont allow even cellphones inside work bay; let alone have full proxy/firewall access. LOL!

Some leak I say! Thankfully its very near to D-Day.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:08   #144
BANNED

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-395315.aspx

Autocar initial review is out.

"this two-cylinder diesel vibrates and makes a bit of noise when you start it up.

Sure, you can tell it’s a diesel right away, but the slightly off-beat tone and the mild vibration give it away as something a bit different too.

It’s not as silent as Hyundai’s Grand i10 and it isn’t as smooth either when revved, but all things considered, refinement levels are quite acceptable.

And while engine noise increases as you spin it faster, it doesn’t get excessively gruff either.

Performance is less impressive; clearly, this car is tuned more for gentle cruising and success at the pumps. If you adopt a relaxed driving style, the Celerio diesel will pull you along cheerfully and it is pretty good at that. It takes off quite smartly from rest and there’s very little delay before the small turbo gives it a bit of a boost, so driving at city speeds isn’t too much of a bother. Try to press on, however, and the Celerio diesel runs out of breath. Yes, there is some amount of grunt in the mid-range and you can make use of this in the higher gears, but effective powerband is so narrow that power soon tails off. We did manage to get some indicative acceleration numbers on our brief drive around Goa, but those didn’t prove to be too impressive; expect a 0-100kph time somewhere in the region of 19 or 20 seconds, which isn’t too far from the Chevrolet Beat diesel. And while the clutch is light, the gearbox did need a bit of effort to slot in occasionally. So, expect enough performance to drive around in a relaxed manner, but not much beyond that."

Last edited by romeomidhun : 29th May 2015 at 10:12.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 10:12   #145
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what a 800cc diesel engine will achieve for a buyer. Turbocharged is a joke. Difficult to also make a proper small diesel engine car. Anyway, best of luck to any potential buyers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2015 at 11:07. Reason: Edited out profanity. Please refrain from posting these on the forum - directly or otherwise.
Old 29th May 2015, 14:53   #146
BHPian

Variant build up information.
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-maruticeleriodieselbrochure9.jpg
purohitanuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 17:05   #147
BHPian

Autocar India Review of Celerio Diesel.

http://bit.ly/1AxDu7i
Old 29th May 2015, 17:43   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a video which gives us an idea about the noise the engine makes outside. Sounds a little better than the tata ace at idle. When revved the coarseness slightly improves. Wonder how it is inside

Last edited by audioholic : 29th May 2015 at 17:47.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 18:33   #149
BANNED

OMG! That ace/maximo sound!

This sound itself will spoil the party of maruti, I guess.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 19:21   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

That has got to be the worst sounding new engine in a personal car - if I had heard just the sound with my eyes closed, I could have easily mistaken it for an East European engine produced behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War. Sure, it will provide excellent mileage - and therefore will sell, but a line has to be drawn somewhere of how unrefined an engine can be before its offered for transporting humans!

Last edited by theMAG : 29th May 2015 at 20:03.
theMAG is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks