Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 20:54   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
That has got to be the worst sounding new engine in a personal car - if I had heard just the sound with my eyes closed, I could have easily mistaken it for an East European engine produced behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War

Today after seeing the video I was stuck in traffic behind a Mahindra Maximo and I felt that it sounded better than this one. Now I guess reviewers must take into consideration the Ace, Maximo and the Celerio engine NVH while comparing in the reviews. :-D

Sadly as I told before, there will be a lot of customers moving away from this car just listening to the engine note, unless they are Reaaaally crazy about mileage. Day by day, the market is definitely maturing and it's not like people will buy what is offered, at least when there's competition from the grande i10, etc. A couple of thousands will fetch a buyer the base grande i10, Ritz etc.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th May 2015 at 20:58.
Old 29th May 2015, 22:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

I will wait for reviews before putting down to the car. But it sure as well wouldn't be out of place in a CV. The clatter at idle is what is annoying. That said, I have seen the Germans making a racket outside but simply be calmness personified inside.

If Maruti is able to control the NVH in the cabin, it should not be a problem.

No need to upgrade horn in the vehicle I suppose. One can imitate the Govt. bus drivers by simply using the engine note to let others know you are here

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

A couple of thousands will fetch a buyer the base grande i10, Ritz etc.
Unfortunate that we debate all day long about safety when Maruti Chairman defends his car, but we don't care about the safety features that the ZDi(O) may offer for less price than the value of a base Grand i10 or a Ritz.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 29th May 2015 at 22:03.
SchumiFan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 06:18   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Unfortunate that we debate all day long about safety when Maruti Chairman defends his car, but we don't care about the safety features that the ZDi(O) may offer for less price than the value of a base Grand i10 or a Ritz.
Very well said.

And yes, lets wait at least till our official review is out. It sounds coarse and its slow, but it might just do well in terms of sales. I won't buy super light awkward looking Marutis for mileage and resale value. It is for a different crowd, but I won't discard it for somebody else, possibly their requirements be met by this car.
Old 30th May 2015, 07:16   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, such horrendous, noise polluting 2 cylinder vehicles should not be allowed. Our cities are already noisy enough without them.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 07:53   #155
BANNED

Why are we becoming so opinionated in this forum. Let the official reviews arrive from Team BHP before pronouncing any judgement. I agree it's not an enthusisast's car but it might not be a terrible compromise either.
Carophilic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 09:20   #156
BHPian

Frankly the engine clatter is expected from a 2 cylinder engine, remember the erstwhile Accent CRDI with it's 3 cylinder engine? Even the Nano sounds like an auto-rickshaw and that is a petrol engine so the clatter is as expected on the celerio diesel.

Having said that, I would definitely not put my money down on this, I think the Grand i10 and the Chevy Beat with their 3 pot engine's are a lot better.
Old 30th May 2015, 11:36   #157
BHPian

India is changing. People care about engine noise even on the cheapest car on sale in Nano and that too a petrol engine so Maruti will have a lot more of convincing to do. Higher variants of Celerio diesel will be competing with the lower variants of the likes of Grand i10 and Ritz. I am not being judgemental but a two cylinder diesel engine was bound to be noisy with poor nvh. Maruti may well have done a good job of insulating the cabin but from outside it sounds like a commercial goods carrier which is simply not acceptable in a car which is going to cost over six lakh rupees on road.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:08   #158
Senior - BHPian

So will Nano sales pickup after the launch of Celerio diesel !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sounds a little better than the tata ace at idle.
With audioholic as your forum handle, how can you commit such blasphemy? The ACE sounds more refined and less clattering than this because it is an IDI unit.

It is the Maxximo's DI clatter sound that matches close to this.

Even Dost's sound is music to years.

Last edited by ramzsys : 30th May 2015 at 12:10.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:19   #159
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Gaadiwaadi's engine noise comparison video - from the outside, with the hood open, from the cabin etc.:

It looks like Maruti Suzuki have done a fairly good job of insulating the Celerio diesel. It's the two-cylinder clatter at idle that's very annoying. It sounds just like the Mahindra Maxximo's two-pot CRDe unit at idle. Thankfully it does smoothen out acceptably when revved, unlike the Maxximo.

Last edited by RSR : 30th May 2015 at 12:39.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 12:30   #160
Senior - BHPian

Nicely controlled at Idle but definitely higher noise as engine speed increases. Thankfully, diesel engine don't depend on rpm as they produce their torque pretty low.

If one likes the note, they can rev the engine all they want. But practically speaking, it won't see that end of the rpm mostly.

It's going to be a pain for people on the outside when this car is near
Old 30th May 2015, 12:37   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Gaadiwaadi's engine noise comparison video - from the outside, with the hood open, from the cabin etc.....
Thanks for sharing. I was holding my comments on NVH. I find this quite acceptable. Even when I saw the first video, I didn't get a feel it was that bad. More than anything, I would look how does it sound inside the cabin. Having said that, I would any day buy a swift for the extra 1.5L which has better torque / power figures & is a better overall product. I would not bother about the extra mileage that Celerio gives but I look for better quality & more of a fun machine.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th May 2015 at 12:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 12:43   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
So will Nano sales pickup after the launch of Celerio diesel !?

With audioholic as your forum handle, how can you commit such blasphemy? The ACE sounds more refined and less clattering than this because it is an IDI unit.

It is the Maxximo's DI clatter sound that matches close to this.

Even Dost's sound is music to years.

Not sure which generation ace you are referring to. We have a first Gen ace in my farm and I have experienced it enough. This is a dealer maintained and occasionally used Ace I am taking about. Of course as you say clatter is less in the Ace but the overall noise isn't so pleasant if you use it for some time.

Last edited by audioholic : 30th May 2015 at 12:45.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:57   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, Maruti is unnecessarily meddling into the price war in small diesel segment. I would never buy, nor recommend a 2 cylinder diesel to anyone for a car costing around 6 big ones on road. Why is it so difficult for Maruti to develop and plonk at least a 3 cylinder diesel so that it can stand a chance against Hyundai's small oil burners? Maruti is spoiling the image of its B segment hatchback by the virtue of this engine. A comparison with Nano is only called for by this ridiculous step.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 13:00   #164
Senior - BHPian

Those gaadiwaadi guys in the Swift Diesel vs Celerio sound comparo clearly show a brand new Swift Diesel which is going to be sold to a customer (Obviously) being used as a guinea pig. It's clearly visible all this was done in a stock yard. The Maruti dealer who allowed this should be reprimanded too.These guys should be ashamed of themselves, like REALLY.

I think the Celerio sounds all right, its not all that loud.
humyum is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 14:10   #165
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I find this quite acceptable. Even when I saw the first video, I didn't get a feel it was that bad. More than anything, I would look how does it sound inside the cabin.
I do think they've worked hard on the NVH attributes of the car itself, in order to lessen the effects of a two-pot common rail diesel's inherently coarse NVH characteristics. This becomes clear when the bonnet/hood is opened.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that they've used hydraulic engine mounts, heavy duty under-bonnet & firewall insulating materials and additional sound deadening bits in the cabin as well (when compared to the petrol Celerio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Maruti is spoiling the image of its B segment hatchback by the virtue of this engine. A comparison with Nano is only called for by this ridiculous step.
Yes, Celerio is not the right guinea pig for this two-pot engine. Eeco would have been a far better choice. Even the Wagon R would have been a better choice as it has been around for a long while now, compared to Celerio which happens to be the freshest "all new" hatchback in their range. This could have been used as a differentiator to improve sales of the Stingray variant family.

People who've been used to small 3-pot / 4-pot petrol motors (Alto, Eon, Santro, Spark, Wagon R etc.) are not going to be impressed by this 2-pot 800cc diesel. The clatter emitted by this engine at idle (and especially upon a cold start in the morning) may prove to be a bit too jarring for petrol heads looking for refinement. Diesel heads may find the overall NVH levels to be acceptable, but may not be impressed by its power & torque.

So who are the target buyers? Those who're really crazy about fuel efficiency?

Last edited by RSR : 30th May 2015 at 14:25.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks