Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:59   #211
BANNED

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Indica eV2, with its decently refined CR4 engine, good interior space and very good suspension is a far superior product. Yes, the interior design and ergonomics are flawed, but fundamentally, that is a much better engineered car. Do drive it to convince yourself

The thing is that a lot of people think that mileage is the most important consideration while buying the car, but they may realize that having the advantage of a more powerful engine is highly understated in India. At this price point I do not think this car would appeal to the majority of the Maruti customers- the Ritz makes more sense than this one any day.
I want peace of mind during the ownership of my car. I am not sure how much 'peace' this 2-cyl autorikshaw engine will give me inside the car (), but the rest is assured as it is a Maruti. And I think there is a kind of "sportiness" for the engine sound. Am I deaf?

Honestly, considering the 2-cyl construction and no more royalty charges to Fiat, this car should be priced at just a 40K premium over the Petrol variant - at 4.3L. Was wondering what a car Ritz Diesel would have been if its rear and top were 'natural', starting at 5.46L!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd June 2015 at 15:15.
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:01   #212
BHPian

The narrow powerband, low redline, turbo lag, low displacement and a two cylinder layout is a recipe for disaster. I think Maruti have taken their brand value a bit too far. Had this car been from any manufacturer people would not even taken a notice especially as they have gone back in times in terms of technology and have priced it exorbitantly. It may still sell but the Auto gear shift version of petrol Celerio is the only variant worth considering as far as Celerio is concerned.
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:09   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I don't want to be labelled as a taxi driver among my neighbors and colleagues.
Any car that is cheap to run, reliable and can take a bit of abuse will be used as a Taxi eventually. Look at Wagon R, and Santro and Eeco Taxis in Mumbai.
This might not be the right thread to post this, but I really think that as members of team bhp, we need to respect every profession, and, in this case, every car that does something well.
In case this post is inappropriate, I would request it to be deleted. Thanks.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 3rd June 2015 at 15:12.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:23   #214
Senior - BHPian

OT: As someone pointed out, we need to respect taxi driving as a profession. For the records, depending upon how they drive everymonth, a normal cabbie can make close to 30-45,000 INR and an OLA/Uber guy makes 70,000 plus a month.

All this is offcourse without tax.

Topic based: I too feel that at this pricepoint, the car should have been atleast 1.0 litre with a BHP rating of 60+; Having said this, let us see how the public react to this and we'll know this in exactly a month's time!

The car is feature rich for sure.
amtak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:36   #215
@KP
BHPian

Celerio Diesel launched at 4.65L - claimed to be India's most fuel-efficient car

Quote:

The Celerio diesel claims 27.62 km/l in the ARAI tests, thus clinching the title of India's most fuel efficient diesel passenger vehicle.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/47525430.cms

But no news if this has the AMT, though

Last edited by @KP : 3rd June 2015 at 15:42.
Old 3rd June 2015, 15:41   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Edit: A request to the mods; if this car is reviewed, can you put up a video comparison of the sound of the engine inside/outside the car as against Grand i10 and the Beat.
I think the media preview is already done. Because,

1. Autocar review is now live, so it is clear that the car has already been showcased to the media personnel.

2. As GTO says on 7th May,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone had a spin in the Celerio diesel . Here's what he has to say. Thanks for sharing, man!
3. None of the moderator has commented on this topic since morning. (Exception - Updated news feed). Maybe they are awaiting for the official review to go live before making any comments.

I am also very much interested to know the NVH levels of Celerio diesel.

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 3rd June 2015 at 15:53.
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:45   #217
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for Team-bhp review, I want to read expert comparisons of this one with the Beat before posting any comments on the car. As a proud owner of Diesel Beat and a Honda Brio in our family, I can say that numbers can be misleading. A torque of 125 Nm with light weight and good mileage CAN make it a perfect city car !

I can forgive NVH (Obviously, it shouldn't be as bad as six seater autorickshaws) in city traffic if a car delivers above 20 kmpl of diesel instead of 12.5/13 kmpl of petrol. For normal working class office commuters like me, sometimes it boils down to how many rides you have to office and back before the tank runs dry, all other factors excluded.
NiInJa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 17:12   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I can forgive NVH (Obviously, it shouldn't be as bad as six seater autorickshaws) in city traffic if a car delivers above 20 kmpl of diesel instead of 12.5/13 kmpl of petrol.
I think the noise a Polo Diesel makes outside is no better, whatever calm it is inside. I didn't expect it from a German car.
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 18:10   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think the noise a Polo Diesel makes outside is no better, whatever calm it is inside. I didn't expect it from a German car.
Well said romeomidhun. But I guess VW is too hallowed a brand for a spade to be called a spade. Maruti is an easier target.
However, having said that, the celerio diesel cannot and should not be compared to the Swift.
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:15   #220
Senior - BHPian

Considering my current trouble with Grand i10, was very eager to have a look at Celerio diesel. Earlier also, I had a look at it, but it was in basement.
Today I visited a dealer and took a few shots which are attached herewith.

The car was parked in dealership drive-way and the dealership is located on busy Gorwa Road. No basement noise feel this time.
A salesperson was showing Celerio diesel to a customer and I poked in the conversation, straight away asking the salesperson to start the motor.
At idle and with AC at blower speed 2, the noise was 59 dB, measured by my phone app.
At around sustained full throttle, it was 73 dB. Screen shots attached.
Windows were rolled up and no music system.

I tried to feel the noise, but atleast at idle it was reasonably refined. Not bad at all. It wont feel that bad IMO. On the road it might be a different feeling. Ac + music + noise of outside horns + road noise and diesel motor noise could be less of a bother, just my estimate.

Note that during my earlier basement visit of celerio diesel, engine was cold. This car that I could sample out today was with a warm engine and had 40 kms. on odo already. Yes, its noisy, but not unbearable. Was way too hungry after office for a nice test drive.

Could be a volume grabber I can say from my today's feel. Ofcourse, we need to wait for a TBHP review, and have test drive ourselves too for final evaluation.

My phone is Nov 2014 Xiomi Redmi 1s, the application is sound meter lite. If I get opportunity, shall update with my Grand i10 reading also with same phone and app. Outside temperature could in range of 38 when I took the two screen shots attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-1.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-2.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-3.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-4.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-5.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-7.jpg  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-screenshot_20150603181550.png  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-screenshot_20150603181605.png  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-6.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 3rd June 2015 at 19:18.
aaggoswami is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:53   #221
Senior - BHPian

Attached herewith are the reading of my Grand i10 diesel.
Road : Less traffic
Ambient temperature : 32 Deg. C
Phone and app are the same.

My Grand i10 has done 685X kms. Celerio is not a bad performer when it comes to noise given the price which is lower than Grand i10.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-gi10-diesel-idle.png  

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-gi10-diesel-4000-rpm.png  

aaggoswami is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:57   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
All set for the iconic launch :

MSIL updates the Celerio webpage with Celerio DDiS 125

Boom! As expected, Touted as India's most fuel-efficient car !!!

Unfortunately, Technical specifications / Prices are not available at this point in time. (03/06, 11:00 AM)

Source : http://www.marutisuzuki.com/celerio.aspx
Official Celerio Diesel Website :

http://www.marutisuzuki.com/celeriodiesel.aspx#

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 3rd June 2015 at 22:24.
Old 3rd June 2015, 23:33   #223
Senior - BHPian

When the 800 came people laughed at it's dimensions, small size, build quality, 3 cylinder engine, small tires, bad handling etc. History bears witness in spite of the short comings it became the best selling country for a long long time.

I feel the same vibes towards the new diesel powered Celerio. Puny engine, 2 cylinders etc. I am sure this would set the sales chart on fire more so when the engine makes way into the other models like the Alto etc.

I don't understand if people can wow a Ford 1 litre Eco boost then why complain of a 2 cylinder engine for a car meant for the mass market. I am sure Maruti has got it's math right with this one.
Old 4th June 2015, 00:18   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
When the 800 came people laughed at it's dimensions, small size, build quality, 3 cylinder engine, small tires, bad handling etc. History bears witness in spite of the short comings it became the best selling country for a long long time.

I feel the same vibes towards the new diesel powered Celerio. Puny engine, 2 cylinders etc. I am sure this would set the sales chart on fire more so when the engine makes way into the other models like the Alto etc.

I don't understand if people can wow a Ford 1 litre Eco boost then why complain of a 2 cylinder engine for a car meant for the mass market. I am sure Maruti has got it's math right with this one.
Maruti 800 was a revolutionary car in the market at that time. The reliability, the fuel efficiency, the NVH, the agility were unparalleled.

Ford Ecoboost 1.0 produces 123bhp of power, which is wow from a 1.0 engine. It has been the engine of the year for two consecutive years. Drive it and it is difficult to believe that there is a 1.0 under the hood. Again, it was revolutionary.

On the other hand, we are talking of a twin pot diesel engine with agricultural levels of NVH producing 47bhp and 125 Nm of torque. And Maruti has the audacity to price it at 80k more than the petrol engine. I just hope that this one fails!
blue_pulsar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 00:56   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Maruti 800 was a revolutionary car in the market at that time. The reliability, the fuel efficiency, the NVH, the agility were unparalleled.

Ford Ecoboost 1.0 produces 123bhp of power, which is wow from a 1.0 engine. It has been the engine of the year for two consecutive years. Drive it and it is difficult to believe that there is a 1.0 under the hood. Again, it was revolutionary.

On the other hand, we are talking of a twin pot diesel engine with agricultural levels of NVH producing 47bhp and 125 Nm of torque. And Maruti has the audacity to price it at 80k more than the petrol engine. I just hope that this one fails!
Why you hope that a product to fail because it's overpriced? Wouldn't you hope the price is corrected ? My comparison to the ECO sport is on the basis of the size of the engine and not HP in layman terms. A small engine powering a big car is cool. A first time attempt of petrol based car company to manufacture a diesel engine is not cool because it has just 2 cylinders. People here are complaining about the 2 cylinders and comparing it to a what a auto rickshaw.

This is the engine which has been targeted towards the mass market. Suddenly the common man could have a diesel engine which is the flavour of the market. If the price is sensitive then Maruti could take corrections. But writing it off just because it's a 2 cylinder and ridiculing it by comparing it to a autorickshaw is not fare to MS.

Mods pardon if going off topic. My only concern is that the car be given a chance and that people not ridicule the engine just because of the size etc.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th June 2015 at 01:02.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks