Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 13:46   #46
BHPian

re: Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!

I am loving this. We will have more choice. Celerio diesel with AMT will be a hit. and Wagon R users need not worry. These are two different products.

Wagon R has maintained monthly average of 13k since last decade. During this so many cars from Maruti and other have come and gone.

Notable are Santro, Estillo, Spark, (you may add so many to this list). And all these have never impacted Wagon R.

And of course, Suzuki will approve the car only if NVH and reliability issues are sorted. At least we can trust Maruti for that.

I think they have learnt well from their experience. I remember Zen D and Esteem D. After those disasters, they have come up with deisel winners.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 25th August 2014 at 13:58.
Old 25th August 2014, 14:43   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
[*]Maruti Celerio Diesel test vehicle given max. mileage upto 33KMPL with AC
Now this will be a game-changer, atleast in the rural towns where only Maruti has a stronghold of the market. If Honda can tune a big 1.5L sedan to extract 26kmpl, i guess 35kmpl should be the target Maruti will be aiming for!

At team -bhp, we may not like the refinement. But there is a whole big market out there for reliable fuel efficient diesels, even though the refinement levels are not upto the mark.
Old 25th August 2014, 15:20   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
At team -bhp, we may not like the refinement. But there is a whole big market out there for reliable fuel efficient diesels, even though the refinement levels are not upto the mark.
Not "not", isn't it?

Coming to the topic; it will really spoil the Maruti brand name if they come with an un-refined engine for the sake of FE.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:45   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio diesel spied again.

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-bwb4nz1ccaeyugx.jpg

Source:GW
Old 1st September 2014, 16:54   #50
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but how did the GW guys make out this was/is a diesel variant? The permanent registration too is adding to my confusion
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 17:44   #51
Team-BHP Support

The production version of the Celerio diesel has been spotted. The car is wearing a DDiS badge on its front fender like other diesel Maruti products.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 20:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean we are getting a Fiat 1.0 L engine under the hood? It does make more sense than a 800 cc two cylinder diesel engine which would be too crude for this segment.
Old 4th November 2014, 20:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Does that mean we are getting a Fiat 1.0 L engine under the hood? It does make more sense than a 800 cc two cylinder diesel engine which would be too crude for this segment.
Unlikely. To me, it looks like DDiS is Suzuki's nomenclature for any common rail direct injection engine, irrespective of whose technology it is.
Old 4th November 2014, 20:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Unlikely. To me, it looks like DDiS is Suzuki's nomenclature for any common rail direct injection engine, irrespective of whose technology it is.
Somehow I find it difficult to believe to Maruti is actually trying to shoehorn an engine designed for commercial vehicle applications into the Celerio. CV's need load carrying ability hence they require high torque at lower rpms and a high top speed is not really of paramount importance in a CV. This equation changes drastically in the passenger vehicle segment. A Fiat derived 3 cylinder engine would make more sense here. I'm not too sure they can pull it off with an 800 cc diesel.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 22:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

The link says it will be competing against the Beat Diesel. I don't think this will be a 2 cylindered 800 cc DDIS. I am 99% certain, this will be a 3 cylindered 1 liter DDIS.
Old 5th November 2014, 02:16   #56
BHPian

My vote goes for the Beat's 1 L 3 cyl Multijet/TCDi one. 2 cyl diesel, that too developed by Maruti/Suzuki seems far fetched. I can't even imagine a 2 cyl diesel in any car.
On a related note, it will fall in the Beat territory, and I think I would rathet buy a Beat than a Celerio, even if the later is about 50k cheaper. Beat is just a much better car.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The link says it will be competing against the Beat Diesel. I don't think this will be a 2 cylindered 800 cc DDIS. I am 99% certain, this will be a 3 cylindered 1 liter DDIS.
The link also mentions that it is expected to have a power of 35PS. Beat diesel on the other hand is 57PS and still under-powered for highways as per reviews. I can't imagine how the Celerio diesel would behave on highways!

At this point, it doesn't matter if it is 2 or 3 cylinders. If power output is 35PS, they should rather plonk it into Alto and pit it against Nano, not in the Celerio against Beat!

Given the 94PS Ciaz is fighting head on with the 118PS Honda City, 35PS Celerio diesel might very well become a reality. Though the absolute difference in both cases are similar, it is huge in terms of percentage in case of 35-57 when compared to 94-118!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
2 cyl diesel, that too developed by Maruti/Suzuki seems far fetched. I can't even imagine a 2 cyl diesel in any car.
For LCV or Nano/Alto segment, it is probably enough. However, Celerio is supposed to be at a higher segment, higher than Wagon R based on the pricing. Maruti should not dilute the brand value of Celerio by giving it a grossly under-powered diesel that cannot even overtake a petrol Nano!
Old 29th January 2015, 17:54   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti-Suzuki has lined up it's Celerio diesel launch for April 2015. The 2-cylinder, 800cc diesel powerplant is expected to don the tag of "India's most-fuel efficient engine", with rumors of an ARAI certified mileage figure of over 30 kmpl.

Maruti Celerio to get 800 cc diesel engine. EDIT: Now launched!-14224725505787.jpg

Quote:
The Celerio petrol, launched in January 2014, will see an 800-cc diesel variant being added around April. This will be the smallest diesel engine powering a passenger car in the market, and possibly the cheapest diesel car as well.
SOURCE - Business Standard (via Cartoq)
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2015, 17:38   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio diesel is rumored to get a fantastic mileage figure of 30.1 km/l

Quote:
Maruti Celerio Diesel coming in April 2015 , powered by 793cc , mileage 30.1 KMPL & expected price Rs.5.08 lakh ( Ex-Show)
https://twitter.com/gaadiwaadi/statu...15545041637378
Old 10th February 2015, 20:14   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Celerio diesel is rumored to get a fantastic mileage figure of 30.1 km/l
5.08L? Then it would be another nonsense from Maruti.

For another 40K, you get Ritz LDi. A superb 4-cyl DDiS engine, more planted ride, more space, better build quality and a car from a higher segment!
romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks