Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 17:00   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Wish all the manufacturers sticked on to either WHP (preferably) or BHP for their brochures.

I heard somewhere that VW sticks to power at wheels mate!!! They quote a figure of 105 hp and 250 nm torque but the dyno graph figures show 108 hp and 283 nm torque stock.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:18   #497
Senior - BHPian

*Nitpicking alert*

Fiat India already has a double-din player, as seen in the Linea Elegance. They could've plonked it in the Abarth too.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150805_171652.png
Views: 3317
Size:  457.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150805_171710.png
Views: 5116
Size:  397.1 KB
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 18:13   #498
BHPian

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
*Nitpicking alert*
I am going to respond to this by using one of Jeremy Clarkson's classic analogies - That's like saying no to Cindy Crawford because she has a mole on her lip!!
iceman7 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 20:39   #499
AWD
BHPian

Its such a beauty! Would we see this in Diesel variant also ? If yes, Im getting my cheque book ready !

They make such beautiful cars dunno why they haven't been able to crack the Indian mkt. Are these new models catering to some niche segment only ?
Old 5th August 2015, 23:25   #500
BHPian

What's wrong with the chrome ? I see so many people wanting to black out those chrome highlights around fog lamps. I feel it will make the styling too plain without them and IMO it doesn't take away the sporty feel either.
Old 6th August 2015, 00:13   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Its such a beauty! Would we see this in Diesel variant also ? If yes, Im getting my cheque book ready !

They make such beautiful cars dunno why they haven't been able to crack the Indian mkt. Are these new models catering to some niche segment only ?
Unless Fiat launches the 1.5L/1.6L MJD - don't expect a diesel Abarth anytime soon.
As for niche market - well, yes. Fiat caters to those automobile enthusiasts who value good dynamics, excellent comfort, good build quality, sturdy vehicles. Sadly with limited rear seat space, small sales and service network, poor ergonomics, and average power with low fuel economy - they don't cater to the mass market.
Abarth fixes one of the issues with its more powerful engine.

They haven't been able to crack the Indian market primarily because they don't have tinny bodies that maximize fuel economy while being able to carry the full extended family with them. Also fears about niggles, and poor service only add to the woes.
Note: We have a tinny jap that maximizes fuel economy and leg room.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 09:23   #502
BHPian

10 important facts to know about Fiat Abarth Punto Evo

source

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncars.in

The good section of the Indian automotive community is now getting bolder and is seeking performance of over practicality. In a bid to target this growing section few leading carmakers are gearing up to bring in budget friendly performance oriented models to the market, like the Volkswagen Polo GT. Now following its path, Fiat is readying a more powerful and performance oriented car version of the Punto hatchback under the Abarth brand, christened as Abarth Punto Evo.

Now seeing the pictures you might not find a lot of difference except for the cosmetic changes. But don’t jump to conclusions so soon. Here are 10 important facts that you should know about Fiat’s all new Abarth Punto Evo.

It is built by Abarth:

Abarth is not just another fancy name added in front of the Punto to make it sound sporty. In fact it is the fully owned subsidiary of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles that is majorly known for manufacturing racing cars and powerful road cars. Since its inception the company has been focused in producing performance oriented cars.

First Abarth Punto Evo was built in 2007:

Initially known as the Grande Punto, the car was taken in by Abarth to build a more powerful rendition. Powered by 1.4-litre turbo engine, the car was initially capable of producing 150 PS of power and with the addition of the company’s Essesse kit the car received an uprated power output of 182.5 PS. The facelifted Abarth Punto Evo was shown at 2010 Geneva Motor Show. It has a 165 PS 1.4 L MultiAir Turbo engine. The top speed is 213 km/h and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h takes 7.9 seconds.

Abarth-Style Design:

Though the new improved Punto largely remains the same in terms of looks, the car does get the Abarth treatment. The smoked headlamps and the chrome bordered grille and foglamps have been retained but along with it you also get the Abarth style Scorpion shaped spoke alloy wheels, new racy paintjob, a bigger spoiler at the back and Abarth badging on boot lid and other parts of the car.

Abarth-Style Interiors:

Just like the exterior body even the inside of the car will display the Abarth styling. You will see Abarth treatment all over the cabin right from the Abarth logo on the steering wheel to the Abarth badging on the new seat covers, and matching stitching on the seat covers and leather wrappings on the gearbox.

Abarth-Style Equipments:

The new Abarth Punto is not just about style but efficiency too, and that is well seen from interior equipments like the sporty 3-spoke multi-functional steering wheel, racing-style bucket seats, usage of premium materials, well-equipped dashboard and sporty metal pedals.

Fiat’s Powerful T-JET Engine:

The Abarth Punto Evo will be mated to 1.4-litre T-JET petrol engine that churns out a maximum power output of 137 PS and a peak torque of 206Nm. The vehicle accelerates to 100kmph from zero in less than 8 seconds before hitting a top speed of 195kmph.

Transmission:

While other carmakers trying to make driving all the more easy with automatic transmission, Fiat Abarth is persistent on retaining to true essence of driving and hand over the control to the driver. Thus while, the Volkswagen Polo GT comes with a 7-speed DSG automatic gearbox, Abarth has mater the new Punto Evo to a 5-speed manual gearbox. If you ask us that surely retains the fun of driving.

Fiat’s T-Jet is more powerful than VW’s GT TSI:

It is beyond question that in India the only competition to the Abarth Punto Evo will be the Volkswagen Punto GT powered by 1.2-litre TSI petrol motor. While the Polo GT’s TSI engine churns out 104.4 PS of max power, the Punto’s T-Jet engine makes 137 PS, which is a good 33 PS more powerful than the Polo GT.

Fiat’s Abarth Avventura:

Just like the standard versions, Fiat will also launch an Abarth powered Avventura that will get the same treatment as the Punto Evo and the same T-Jet engine. Both the cars are likely to be launched together in 2015.

Price and Launch Date:

Fiat is keen on bringing in the Abarth brand in India by year-end so the Abarth Punto Evo is likely to be launched during the festive season around September-October. As for the price, the Polo GT TSI is priced at INR 8.48 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), which means to even with its much powerful engine the Abarth Punto Evo is likely to be priced around INR 8.5-10 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Last edited by super.cars : 6th August 2015 at 09:27.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 09:31   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post

source
Some points.

At one place they mention that 165 ps version does 0-100 in 7.9 seconds and then they say India will get 137 PS version which will do that in under 8 secs. Contradictory statements.

I believe VW is the only company in India that specifies power at wheels. So declared power output of Abarth Punto and GT Tsi may not be apples to apples comparison exactly.

The difference may be lesser than what it looks like.

However I agree that I am just nitpicking, Punto should be faster than the GT Tsi.
Old 6th August 2015, 09:39   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
However I agree that I am just nitpicking, Punto should be faster than the GT Tsi.
Although the punto will have more power, due to lightning quick shifts on the DSG, i doubt the punto will be able to beat the GT TSI on the 0-100 mark. This Punto is sure to outrun the GT TDI though.
super.cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 10:25   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

More interior pics, courtesy updated gallery at IAB.

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthacventforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthmediasystemforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthinfotainmentsystemforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthautoclimatecontrolforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthinstrumentbinnacleforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthsteeringmountedaudiocontrolsforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthsteeringmountedaudiocontrolsrightforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatpuntoabarthpedalsforindia.jpg900x600.jpg

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 10:26   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Some points.

I believe VW is the only company in India that specifies power at wheels. So declared power output of Abarth Punto and GT Tsi may not be apples to apples comparison exactly.

The difference may be lesser than what it looks like.

VW does not quote at the wheels, quotes at the crank only. The numbers quoted are supposed to be conservative, especially for performance models.

It’s 92 bhp at the wheels for the Stock TSI . Ties up with the ~105 bhp number quoted by VW taking into account 14% loss for the DSG+FWD drivetrain (this number floats around in VW international forums).

Remaps can take it up to 110 bhp at wheels. All this data has been verified with Karan’s dynometer in Mumbai with multiple cars.

The 0 to 100, even in a remapped TSI, doesn’t dip below 9 sec. Even a stock Punto Abarth should be able to do it in 8 sec. The Punto, if it comes with the right turbo, would be fantastic for +30/40 bhp remaps. Just hope the gearbox is a class act.

I think in-city, part throttle responses, the DSG would ensure that the fight is even.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 10:52   #507
BHPian

they could have added the abarth footrest too
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-abarth-footrest.jpg  

nskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 11:04   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
VW does not quote at the wheels, quotes at the crank only. The numbers quoted are supposed to be conservative, especially for performance models.

It’s 92 bhp at the wheels for the Stock TSI . Ties up with the ~105 bhp number quoted by VW taking into account 14% loss for the DSG+FWD drivetrain (this number floats around in VW international forums).

Remaps can take it up to 110 bhp at wheels. All this data has been verified with Karan’s dynometer in Mumbai with multiple cars.

The 0 to 100, even in a remapped TSI, doesn’t dip below 9 sec. Even a stock Punto Abarth should be able to do it in 8 sec. The Punto, if it comes with the right turbo, would be fantastic for +30/40 bhp remaps. Just hope the gearbox is a class act.

I think in-city, part throttle responses, the DSG would ensure that the fight is even.
Hi,
If you see the post I quoted, it mentions 7.9 seconds for 0 to 100 for a 165 PS Abarth. I dont see how a 137 PS betters or equals that to post a sub 8 sec timing.

Regarding VW quoting power at wheel, there have been enough discussions on the topic, in this very thread. For eg see below quotes from a few pages back.

Quote:
Sankar is right. VAG group cars always publish wheel horse power and not at the crank. There's no rule in India that BHP should be at the crank.

VW's numbers are more honest.

Regarding the Polo 1.2 TDI. It had 75BHP and it was definitely no slow coach. Out on the highway the 1.2TDI was a lot of fun to drive and could easily keep up with the 1.3 Multijet engines. Only thing it did suffer from was a load of turbo lag. In city, till the turbo kicked in, it was more like 20BHP.

If you want actual proof, just check the Dyno thread. All VW 1.6 TDI are very close to 105BHP whereas the Swift is around 65-70BHP. Same for Honda and Toyota. My Altis showed 95BHP on the dyno.
Quote:
Dyno graphs say otherwise and it's there in this forum for you or anyone else to see. Other cars have been on this very same dyno also and those figures are also available. We are talking about the Dynapack dyno at RRP.

Exactly the 1.2TDI was an underdog and it surprised me on the highway while I was in my Swift. The 1.2TDI was not slow on the highway, it was very audible and rough but top end performance was more than decent for a 3cyl 1197cc diesel.

There is no remap available for that motor except the box so didn't get traction in performance diesel crowd.

If what you say is correct, then I stand corrected and am surprised. I have on more than one occasion seen that dyno figures at wheel matches those declared by VW though admittedly not for Tsi.

Last edited by vibbs : 6th August 2015 at 11:11.
Old 6th August 2015, 11:41   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Not everything is true if you were to apply this to Abarth in India.

The Punto Abarth is not built by Abarth. Abarth, as a company, do not operate in India. The FCA group are only making the brand available to us. I don't believe the engine in the Abarth Punto has anything to do with Abarth. I am curious to know if there any mechanical changes made to this engine (Turbo, bigger inter cooler, etc) or if it is just a tune up job. There was a time when Fiat India announced local assembly/manufacturing of the T Jet engine. I do not know if this is the case today.

On styling, we don't get the full blown Abarth treatment. In some ways, I think this is a good move by FCA cause the real Abarth deal would take the pricing way too high. There are some Abarth elements on the Abarth Punto offered in India.

Changes to the interior are kept to a minimum as well. There are new graphics on the clocks, an Abarth logo on the steering wheel (It is still the same wheel), Abarth pedals, some material change on the dashboard and that seems to be it. Only wish they offered a turbo boost gauge, like they do in the international market.

On equipment, the seats in pictures don't look like racing style bucket seats. If they are, that will be awesome.

The top speed is kinda lame considering the 112bhp T Jet does 191kmph.

Transmission. I am in favour of a manual gearbox if it is a good one. The current gearbox on offer on Fiat cars are the worst in terms of shift action and ratios. I pray and hope this has changed with the Abarth Punto.

The Abarth Punto surely gets a more powerful motor than VW's GT Tsi. Trouble is, can you explore that power, as much as the company claims. Once again, I highlight the weak gearbox.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 12:58   #510
Senior - BHPian

Ohhh mannn this car just reminded me the day when I applied to be a member of Team Bhp and of my comments in the registration section of owning a Palio or the Linea as a dream car.

I see people saying they should have added this they should added that and what not.. We people wanted a T - Jet plonked into the Punto and Fiat has responded to that request and how, 150PS.. Phew!!! At the end its the engine that is going to put a wide smile on your face when the RPM needle hits the red line every time you up shift and the speedometer climbs up to some insane speeds for our Indian roads and not the other cosmetic bits. Everything comes at aprice and if we need these cosmetic improvments then the price is going to shoot up, but we Indians want it to be priced under 10 lacs.. Common guys, here is a company which is not seeing good sales for I don't know how long and still is giving us a product we always wanted from Fiat's stable.

Now, I am really in a dilemma to continue saving for the ZX 14 R or to just go ahead and fulfill by dream of owning a Fiat, which actually behaves and reads Abarth all over.
SnS_12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks