Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 12:19   #481
BHPian

Re: Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!

It is indeed on the left hand side, but protrudes out a bit...

Image source - MotorBeam.com
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop - Fiat Punto Evo T-Jet coming up!-fiatabarthpuntoshowcaseindia.jpg  

vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:40   #482
Senior - BHPian

Wow, the first ever 'hot' hatch again comes from Fiat

The Punto Abarth Desi version looks stunning in that matte silver shade. I definitely want one!

BTW, wake up Ford! Where is the Fiesta ST!?
anachronix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:40   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Hydraulic steering, all wheel discs, turbocharged petrol engine, manual transmission, hot looks, superb suspension is one hell of a recipe even when the name has "Fiat" in it.
.... And then there are some like me who would say that the above mentioned combination would be even more potent since the name has a 'Fiat' in it.
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 12:45   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The exhaust does look like an eye sore but changing or integrating it within the rear bumper would mean costly re-work which will bring the price up. If it keeps the price down, it wouldn't worry me too much.

A friend of mine was invited for a co-drive of the Fiat 595 at BIC with lead car being this Punto T-Jet. As per him, Punto was doing 190kph on the straights without much effort! Hydraulic steering, all wheel discs, turbocharged petrol engine, manual transmission, hot looks, superb suspension is one hell of a recipe even when the name has "Fiat" in it. For "true" hot hatch enthusiasts, this will be an easy sell, unless Fiat boffins smoke weed before deciding on the price of the car and out price it.

P.S. I am also left scratching my head, why wait until October? The car is ready, uses components which are already being used in sister cars, why not launch it right away and benefit from, the much deserved in this case, hype.
+1. The car was seriously quick and good around the corners. If only it had sticky rubber it would have been even better. The black one is super hot.
Old 5th August 2015, 13:07   #485
BHPian

From this video on Youtube, the Punto Grande (previous gen) Abarth, seems to produce 155 BHP from the 1.4 Liter Engine.

Looks like we are getting a de-tuned one again

Also, surprised when he says the steering is vague! in a Fiat!!!
Old 5th August 2015, 13:21   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Looks like we are getting a de-tuned one again
That's inevitable right?? We have inferior quality fuel with mostly high temperature round the year and dusty air in our country.

I don't know why we then ask for the same performance as in a cooler, not-so-dusty country with good fuel???

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th August 2015 at 14:01. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:29   #487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
That's inevitable right?? We have inferior quality fuel with mostly high temperature round the year and dusty air in our country.

I don't know why we then ask for the same performance as in a cooler, not-so-dusty country with good fuel???
When we run more expensive, exotic cars in this country with the same fuel that's locally available, why would someone de-tune a 1.4 liter with up to 10 bhp over its distant siblings??

If the manufacturer prescribes to a higher octane fuel, anyone who is going to plonk money on such a hot hatch (mind you, it will be more of a enthusiast than a usual joe who is looking for sheer utility), wouldn't really mind taking some extra effort to scout for the right fuel to get this baby grooving!

Look at Honda, their engines are E10 ready (that can run on 10% enthanol), and this was the norm for its petrol engines from a long time (from the third Gen City)...
Old 5th August 2015, 14:29   #488
Senior - BHPian

Powerwise this car should have around 20-25 wheel horse power more than the GT. Basing my findings on a Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TJET 155BHP motor dynoed on a Dynapack dyno in europe (same dyno that RRP has) which yielded 138WHP. Drop to 138WHP from 155BHP is a loss of around 11%. Applying that same losses here in the Punto Abarth will yield 125BHP if its coming in 140BHP tune of 129 BHP if its coming in 145BHP tune.

Wish all the manufacturers sticked on to either WHP (preferably) or BHP for their brochures.
Old 5th August 2015, 14:46   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
... why would someone de-tune a 1.4 liter with up to 10 bhp over its distant siblings??
Well, there's also the "kitna deti hai" angle the manufacturer has to cater to.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 14:56   #490
BHPian

@ vinair - I just quoted the same reason manufacturers put in for your statement. Almost all the brands in India has lesser power spec than the corresponding models in Europe or west or even China for that matter. ( Volvo maybe an exception)
The enthusiast won't mind putting the fuel. But the question is how much fuel stations are capable in India to give 95/97 Ron fuel? Maybe few stations in tier 1 cities. In case of punto with speculated sub 10 lakh price,it's a mass market hot hatch with buyers all over India unlike the exotic cars whose buyers maybe concentrated in tier 1 cities.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:11   #491
BHPian

100 from the Goldsmith, 1 from the Blacksmith!!

This launch will be a classical example of the old Hindi saying - Sau sonar ki, ek lohar ki!!

Now, think about this for a quick moment... In the following few months, Fiat can lay claim to having powered 2 rockets on Indian roads; The 1.6 S-Cross, and the sweet, sweet Punto Abarth

My only question is, how will people who purchase the Punto Abarth control their urges during the engine run in duration? <<Out of smileys>>
Old 5th August 2015, 15:17   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Powerwise this car should have around 20-25 wheel horse power more than the GT. Basing my findings on a Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4 TJET 155BHP motor dynoed on a Dynapack dyno in europe (same dyno that RRP has) which yielded 138WHP. Drop to 138WHP from 155BHP is a loss of around 11%. Applying that same losses here in the Punto Abarth will yield 125BHP if its coming in 140BHP tune of 129 BHP if its coming in 145BHP tune.

Wish all the manufacturers sticked on to either WHP (preferably) or BHP for their brochures.
Were you able to find 0-100 numbers for this Alfa Romeo, if it's weight is similar to the Punto it will indicate how much quicker / more powerful the Punto Abarth will be than the GT TSI.
Old 5th August 2015, 15:50   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Were you able to find 0-100 numbers for this Alfa Romeo, if it's weight is similar to the Punto it will indicate how much quicker / more powerful the Punto Abarth will be than the GT TSI.
Quote:
Firstly, it is powered by the popular 1.4 litre T-Jet motor that Fiat has been offering in its C-segment sedan Linea. Only this one is tuned to breath out 145 horses and a torque that could easily rate over 195 Nm. This, my friends, can take you to 0-100 in under 10 seconds, but only if you skillfully shift the 5-Speed manual gearbox. This also makes the Abarth Punto the only true hot hatch in this particular segment and finally we can stop calling the VW Polo GT TSI a hot hatch. Because even with a Kerb weight of around 1100kg it will fall well short in the power-to-weight ratio when compared to a heavier Punto Abarth (could lie around 1200kg as the normal Punto diesel).
source

In my opinion, punto abarth is a competitor to the GT TDI because of its manual tranny. Buyers who are keen on the convenience of AT would continue to buy the GT TSI. Another advantage TSI has is its mild and understated looks compared to flashy punto abarth which may not suit all occasions. No doubt punto abarth looks good but I feel it has come with a bling.

Last edited by super.cars : 5th August 2015 at 15:55.
super.cars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:03   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
But what I am really thinking about is what if VW pulls out a knockout punch by giving the GTI with 1.4 TSI in India and somehow manages to price it under 12lks ??
They are already testing the 1.8 TSi for the GTi. That will be one true international standard hot hatch like the Abarth 595, but comes with a price.

Make no mistakes - the Punto Abarth is 'Indianised'. They have made evident attempts to keep costs down. That said- isn't that exactly what we were crying for? This is a performance hatch for the Indian market and pockets.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 16:36   #495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
Another advantage TSI has is its mild and understated looks compared to flashy punto abarth which may not suit all occasions. No doubt punto abarth looks good but I feel it has come with a bling.
That's one way of looking at it.
However one would be hard pressed to find someone who'd chose the TSI because it looks understated. If looks are a criteria, then Abarth should be the one for most. The DSG and brand certainly might tilt some towards Polo. But looks, I seriously doubt.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks