Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 20:10   #706
BHPian

Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
If you find a good Jetta DSG, don't let it go. You won't regret buying one.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Just have to convince parents somehow. They don't want me to buy a VAG car again because of the Superb. Fingers crossed.
Old 4th November 2020, 20:13   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Just have to convince parents somehow. They don't want me to buy a VAG car again because of the Superb. Fingers crossed.
Good luck! VW is far better than Skoda's service in my experience. The only pain point with VW is the lead time to procure parts, which can get irritating. I'm sure several other Jetta, or Polo, or Vento owners will say the same thing.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:08   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Good luck! VW is far better than Skoda's service in my experience. The only pain point with VW is the lead time to procure parts, which can get irritating. I'm sure several other Jetta, or Polo, or Vento owners will say the same thing.
I feel with VW, Skoda, its all a matter of your luck and I'm sure you will only agree after you hear about my experiences.
  • I'm a Jetta owner from 2009, and even today the vehicle is relatively trouble free and maintained at the Authorised Service Centre in Pune. Exactly last year, I was called for a free ABS campaign (A campaign to diagnose the future failure of a present module)post which the ABS module actually failed while driving to Ahmednagar. Post a little haggling with Volkswagen, they replaced the ABS ESP Module which had a sticker price of Rs. 1.5L or so. I'm sure quite a number of users have had to pay for this failure, but thanks to the goodwill and support, it was resolved for me without a dent on my pocket.
  • From the last few months, I diagnosed a small coolant leak from the AC Heater Coil firewall and identified the hoses using parts catalogue. I had a lot of trouble sourcing it locally and finally I was about to order it from Europe (fairly cheap part price, but the shipping and duty was making it too expensive an affair. I took a chance with Volkswagen, and they said they could procure the part within 2 days and the hoses were replaced at Volkswagen and the whole process with labour was less than the Europe Shipping + Part Cost + Customs. So this was another good experience and I really wasn't expecting this since it is quite typical to hear about parts unavailability for old or rare cars.
  • Fast forward to the 20th of October, when my brand new Polo (brought home on the 17th of October) cracked its windscreen under weird circumstances. Even today, as I write this thread, Volkswagen have no answer as to when they will allot me the correct windscreen since 2020 models underwent glass material and tint revision. I have effectively owned my brand new car for just 5 days, and its now spent a fortnight at the Pune Dealership. I'm amused this happened to a mass market Polo, and this incident really makes me scratch my head.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd November 2020 at 12:28. Reason: spacing for improved readability
fluidicjoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 22:44   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
I feel with VW, Skoda, its all a matter of your luck and I'm sure you will only agree after you hear about my experiences. snip
Too true. This is so symptomatic of the Volkswagen ownership experience, it's such a mixed bag. I owned a Jetta from 2014-2018, and it was a bit of a mixed bag for me too, but I'd say the good outweighed the bad, and I'm inclined to say you feel likewise, else the Polo would never have found a home in your garage.

I hope the windshield issue gets resolved at the earliest, that's a terrible way for the new car feel to be soured. They really have to do better, a fortnight without an answer is a joke, this is the textbook definition of an open and shut case, it's a manufacturing defect and has to be fixed by VW.
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:38   #710
BHPian

After a long search, have finalized a 2015 Highline AT and it has clocked around 120k kms. The Car comes with the stock HU i.e., RCD510. Currently I drive a Altis AT with Android HU and am spoilt for Android.

The reason for my upgrade to Android base HU is to have a reverse camera, navigation and few music apps.

From the Gurus, want to understand if I want to upgrade the RCD510 to a Android HU, what are the stock features / functionalities (like Optical Parking System / Park Pilot) that wont be supported in the Android HU??

Alternatively is there any HUs from VW which will have these features (navigation and music apps)?

Last edited by vasanthjn : 16th November 2020 at 15:39. Reason: features
Old 16th November 2020, 16:45   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
After a long search, have finalized a 2015 Highline AT and it has clocked around 120k kms. The Car comes with the stock HU i.e., RCD510. Currently I drive a Altis AT with Android HU and am spoilt for Android.

The reason for my upgrade to Android base HU is to have a reverse camera, navigation and few music apps.

From the Gurus, want to understand if I want to upgrade the RCD510 to a Android HU, what are the stock features / functionalities (like Optical Parking System / Park Pilot) that wont be supported in the Android HU??

Alternatively is there any HUs from VW which will have these features (navigation and music apps)?
Hey! Yes, there are two radios which could meet your requirement :- RCD340, which is plug and play (the radio sold on Polos and Vento) and a Discover Media Radio which shall need to be retrofitted with a few connectors. Both have their pros and cons. Let me list them for you :-

RCD340
PROs
  • Reasonably priced. - Rs. 23000 or so (most recent price on Aliexpress)
  • Supports 8K OPS Display.
  • Supports Reverse Camera.
  • Android Auto, CarPlay Compatible hence Google Maps, Spotify, Apple Music etc.
  • Quadlock Connector which is identical to an RCD510.
CONs
  1. Average Sound Quality.
  2. No In-Built Navigation.
  3. No Display of Bluetooth Media, Phone Info in the Instrument Cluster.

Discover Media (also commonly called MIB-2 in the Retrofit Community)
PROs
  1. Android Auto, CarPlay.
  2. Reverse Camera Compatible.
  3. Way Superior Audio Quality compared to RCD340 and a notch above RCD510.
  4. Displays Phone Media Info in the Instrument Cluster.
  5. Can Support Navigation through VW SD Card.

CONs
  1. Expensive - Prices start from the Rs. 60k mark
  2. Availability : Needs to be imported from Europe.
  3. Not a Plug and Play Radio and needs a few adapters for the retrofit.
Attaching a few photos of the Discover Media radio with Navigation my friend retrofitted in a Jetta.
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_20200830_122704.jpg
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img_20200830_122600.jpg
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img20191008wa0024.jpg
The Reverse Camera in Action on the Headunit.
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img20191008wa0023.jpg
The 8K OPS in action on this headunit.
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img20191008wa0021.jpg
The Indian Navigation on an SD Card.
2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look-img20191008wa0038.jpg

Last edited by fluidicjoy : 16th November 2020 at 16:51.
fluidicjoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 16:58   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
RCD340
PROs
  • Reasonably priced. - Rs. 23000 or so (most recent price on Aliexpress)
  • Supports 8K OPS Display.
  • Supports Reverse Camera.
  • Android Auto, CarPlay Compatible hence Google Maps, Spotify, Apple Music etc.
  • Quadlock Connector which is identical to an RCD510.
Thanks a lot fluidicjoy for your quick response. Out of the two I think RCD340 is within my budget.

Also want to know your guidance on if I want to upgrade the RCD510 to a Android HU, what are the stock features / functionalities (like Optical Parking System / Park Pilot) that wont be supported in the Android HU??
Old 17th November 2020, 13:22   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot fluidicjoy for your quick response. Out of the two I think RCD340 is within my budget.

Also want to know your guidance on if I want to upgrade the RCD510 to a Android HU, what are the stock features / functionalities (like Optical Parking System / Park Pilot) that wont be supported in the Android HU??
I would suggest you to stick to RCD510 and use your phone for navigation. the audio quality and Bluetooth connectivity of RCD340/330G+ are not up to the mark, much inferior to RCD510 (specifically if it factory fitted). I am making this comment based on my experience with Vento(sold) and Jetta.

If you really want to upgrade then look for MIB-2.
manjubp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:24   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
I would suggest you to stick to RCD510 and use your phone for navigation.
If you really want to upgrade then look for MIB-2.
Thanks a lot for the input.
Old 21st November 2020, 18:35   #715
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Here are two snaps after fixing these new LED bulbs by VW Service center. Sort of blends with the body color and bright enough from distance. At least these look like DRLs.
Hello,

I am thinking of ordering these from Amazon India. However, they are priced at INR 3600 and thus I am in 2 minds. How are they holding up? Do you know of any other alternatives to these?

Thanks.
Old 21st November 2020, 19:43   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Hello,

I am thinking of ordering these from Amazon India. However, they are priced at INR 3600 and thus I am in 2 minds. How are they holding up? Do you know of any other alternatives to these?

Thanks.
Those are holding up fine. No issues. I tried a lot to get these locally, but was not satisfied with any of these local bulbs. Amazon India has many options but the risk is about the same. You may have to go by reviews and take a call.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:07   #717
BHPian

Need a help with fog lamp.

Last week I purchased a 2015 Jetta HL AT with 121K KMS on the Odo. I gave the vehicle on Saturday for 120K kms service with VW Mount Road, Chennai.

At the time of delivery of the car I checked for the error codes and it showed a faulty fog lamp error code. Today the ASC technician informed me that the error code is due to the upgradation of the stock fog lamp to a LED lamp (along with new set of wires, etc,.) by the previous owner and both the lamps are working fine. He informed me that due to this the error message will continue to come up in the MID.

Just want to know from the gurus, is there any way to reset the error code for fog lamp??

Note: Cross posting this from another thread.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:27   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Need a help with fog lamp.

Last week I purchased a 2015 Jetta HL AT with 121K KMS on the Odo. I gave the vehicle on Saturday for 120K kms service with VW Mount Road, Chennai.

At the time of delivery of the car I checked for the error codes and it showed a faulty fog lamp error code. Today the ASC technician informed me that the error code is due to the upgradation of the stock fog lamp to a LED lamp (along with new set of wires, etc,.) by the previous owner and both the lamps are working fine. He informed me that due to this the error message will continue to come up in the MID.

Just want to know from the gurus, is there any way to reset the error code for fog lamp??

Note: Cross posting this from another thread.
That is BS because the 2014 HL and later models came OE with LED DRL and I see no reason someone would have upgraded.

Note, the older HL versions came with halogen which users were upgrading to a CANBUS error free LED white bulbs.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:58   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
That is BS because the 2014 HL and later models came OE with LED DRL and I see no reason someone would have upgraded.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:18   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post

Note, the older HL versions came with halogen which users were upgrading to a CANBUS error free LED white bulbs.
Guess he is talking about Foglamp and not LED DRLs. Also IIRC the facelift came in 2015 and not 2014.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks