Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2020, 10:36   #676
BHPian
 
tilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 463
Thanked: 1,061 Times
Default Re: Issue With Cruise Control Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone,

I have come across a problem lately which has something to do with the Cruise Control of my car.

The issue is that sometimes; not every time, I start my car for the day, an error with the Cruise Control appears on the MID. It is an 'exclamation mark with the cruise control sign' that shows on the MID. This error remains as long as I am driving the car and I am unable to use the cruise control function during this time. However, if I shut the car down and restart it, the error vanishes and everything goes back to normal.

I have unfortunately not saved the error of the scan but I'm sure I will be able to do this again. Will share it here.

Has anyone else faced this issue?
Yes, I have; and i am so happy that you too face this. Until now I was under the impression that mine was the one and only Jetta in the whole world that had this issue, because there was no mention on any forums worldwide that I could find that spoke about this; and VW themselves told me they have never seen this or heard about this.

That said, I insisted VW take a more detaled look at this. They brought in their tech people from Pune, did a few tests (they could not replicate the issue though) and decided to change the buttons panel on the steering wheel that had the cruise-control buttons. I have not faced this issue since. This was a couple of years ago if I remember correctly.

Cheers

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:25. Reason: Editing spacing and long quoted post
tilt is offline  
Old 18th January 2020, 14:25   #677
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 150
Thanked: 231 Times
Default Re: Issue With Cruise Control Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hello everyone

The issue is that sometimes; not every time, I start my car for the day, an error with the Cruise Control appears on the MID. It is an 'exclamation mark with the cruise control sign' that shows on the MID. This error remains as long as I am driving the car and I am unable to use the cruise control function during this time. However, if I shut the car down and restart it, the error vanishes and everything goes back to normal.
From technical point of view, the error could be popped up by one of routine switch diagnostic checks running during every BCM start up which verifies whether the switch is functioning properly through certain logic. The reason could be dust accumulated between switch contacts, worn out contacts, etc. Since you had taken the scanner log, I have a couple of questions:
1. Which ECU reported the error?
2. Whether the error popped up when you pressed one of the cruise control switches or as soon as you turned on ignition key?
gopi_rm is offline  
Old 20th January 2020, 19:44   #678
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: Issue With Cruise Control Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Yes, I have; and i am so happy that you too face this. Until now I was under the impression that mine was the one and only Jetta in the whole world that had this issue, because there was no mention on any forums worldwide that I could find that spoke about this; and VW themselves told me they have never seen this or heard about this.
On the contrary, there are many reports of the cruise control switch error online and this being specifically with the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
That said, I insisted VW take a more detaled look at this. They brought in their tech people from Pune, did a few tests (they could not replicate the issue though) and decided to change the buttons panel on the steering wheel that had the cruise-control buttons. I have not faced this issue since.
Well, I am happy that your issue was solved. It is nice of VW to take the trouble to solve the issue. In my case, they have ordered the switch and I hope the issue is resolved at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
From technical point of view, the error could be popped up by one of routine switch diagnostic checks running during every BCM start up which verifies whether the switch is functioning properly through certain logic. The reason could be dust accumulated between switch contacts, worn out contacts, etc. Since you had taken the scanner log, I have a couple of questions:
1. Which ECU reported the error?
2. Whether the error popped up when you pressed one of the cruise control switches or as soon as you turned on ignition key?
This issue crops up only when the car is started for the day. If the car is shut off and started again, everything is normal. I have not yet face an issue while driving and using the cruise control function.

I unfortunately deleted the scanner log, but will have it scanned if the issue crops up again.
Epic is offline  
Old 20th January 2020, 23:00   #679
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 212
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

I too face the same issue , VCDS logs it as "implausible Signal Cruise Control Switch " , no cruise control related buttons will work until the ignition switched off and made ON again . I raised the issue when the Car was under warranty and Service Center said it was loose clock spring and they have fixed it, it didn't reoccur for few days , however i still face the issue though not very frequent .. not sure what to do next as the car is out of warranty now. Please let know the exact parts you have ordered if it fix the issue for you .

Last edited by ranjithrnair : 20th January 2020 at 23:01.
ranjithrnair is offline  
Old 22nd January 2020, 13:56   #680
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
and decided to change the buttons panel on the steering wheel that had the cruise-control buttons.
I am assuming that the fault code that states 'Cruise Control Switch' is possibly the same cruise control button on the steering wheel that they have changed in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Since you had taken the scanner log, I have a couple of questions:
1. Which ECU reported the error?
Here is the screenshot of the scan taken this morning.

Name:  VCDS 0.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  VCDS 2.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  85.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
2. Whether the error popped up when you pressed one of the cruise control switches or as soon as you turned on ignition key?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
I too face the same issue , VCDS logs it as "implausible Signal Cruise Control Switch " , no cruise control related buttons will work until the ignition switched off and made ON again.
Exactly the symptons as mentioned by ranjithnair above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Please let know the exact parts you have ordered if it fix the issue for you.
Not sure yet. They have called for my car to the workshop again. I may send it this week. Will update on the outcome here.
Epic is offline  
Old 31st January 2020, 18:52   #681
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

So the car has been given to the VW Service Centre today and I have got feedback that it is indeed an issue with the 'Cruise Control Switch' which needs to be replaced. The same will be done under warranty and hopefully the issue will be permanently resolved.

The technician also mentioned that he checked another 2015/2016 Jetta in the workshop where he kept pressing the 'Cruise Control Switch' on the steering multiple times and the error appeared on the dash. The car was stationary at the time.

I think it is safe to say that there seems to be a manufacturing defect with the 'Cruise Control Switch' on the Jettas manufactured from 2015 onwards but I don't think many are aware as they probably do not use cruise control as much or maybe not at all. The internet though is flooded with complaints from around the world of Jettas having 'Cruise Control Switch' errors.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:54   #682
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 212
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

If you happen to get the part code , kindly share here, my car is out of warranty and I wish to get it procured from outside if it's a feasibility.
ranjithrnair is offline  
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:57   #683
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So the car has been given to the VW Service Centre today and I have got feedback that it is indeed an issue with the 'Cruise Control Switch' which needs to be replaced. The same will be done under warranty and hopefully the issue will be permanently resolved.
So go the car back from the workshop with button pads on the steering wheel changed. I believe both sides were changed as they come in a set. The issue has not cropped up so far since the past two days and so I believe it has been resolved. Will keep observing for a month to confirm if the issue has been resolved permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
If you happen to get the part code , kindly share here, my car is out of warranty and I wish to get it procured from outside if it's a feasibility.
The part code is 6C0959442AICX. As per the invoice, the part costs Rs. 17,700 including GST. My total invoiced amount was Rs. 18,570 inclusive of the part, labour and taxes. Fortunately, this was covered under extended warranty.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:04   #684
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So go the car back from the workshop with button pads on the steering wheel changed. I believe both sides were changed as they come in a set. The issue has not cropped up so far since the past two days and so I believe it has been resolved. Will keep observing for a month to confirm if the issue has been resolved permanently.
UPDATE
So after almost 20 days of using the car post replacement of the 'Cruise Control Switch', I am disappointed that the error has cropped up again. I haven't got a chance to scan the car to know what the error code is but I suspect it will be the same as it was before. I have already brought it to the notice of the VW Service Centre and even they are surprised with the same.

I am waiting for an opportunity to get the car scanned post which, will decide the further course of action.
Epic is offline  
Old 22nd February 2020, 23:46   #685
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 212
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
UPDATE

So after almost 20 days of using the car post replacement of the 'Cruise Control Switch', I am disappointed that the error has cropped up again. I haven't got a chance to scan the car to know what the error code is but I suspect it will be the same as it was before. I have already brought it to the notice of the VW Service Centre and even they are surprised with the same.

I am waiting for an opportunity to get the car scanned post which, will decide the further course of action.
Guess it is more complicated now , can you check the paddle shift behaviour as well . Would clock spring be a possibility here ? I face multiple erratic behaviour on mine which includes the cruise control error as well. Other is the change of MFD display screen automatically , then the up shifting using paddle erratically downshift after a second..

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:25. Reason: spacing for readability
ranjithrnair is offline  
Old 25th February 2020, 13:05   #686
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Guess it is more complicated now , can you check the paddle shift behaviour as well . Would clock spring be a possibility here ? I face multiple erratic behaviour on mine which includes the cruise control error as well. Other is the change of MFD display screen automatically , then the up shifting using paddle erratically downshift after a second..
I've never had issues with the paddle shifters till date and I use them pretty often. I scanned the car this morning and the error code was the same as last time 'Cruise Control Switch'.

Name:  VCDS 1A.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  84.5 KB
Epic is offline  
Old 25th February 2020, 14:56   #687
BHPian
 
vishy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 815
Thanked: 3,076 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Guess it is more complicated now , can you check the paddle shift behaviour as well . Would clock spring be a possibility here ? I face multiple erratic behaviour on mine which includes the cruise control error as well. Other is the change of MFD display screen automatically , then the up shifting using paddle erratically downshift after a second..
Get the clock spring of your car inspected. Wires might be shorting out causing the MFD to change and paddles to behave badly.
vishy76 is offline  
Old 25th February 2020, 22:36   #688
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 212
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Get the clock spring of your car inspected. Wires might be shorting out causing the MFD to change and paddles to behave badly.

Yes that's what I think too, unfortunately service centre ignored the concern when car was under warranty stating it's not reproducible when they checked . Now i will have to take the hit. Living with the issue as it's not troubling much . Shall wait for @Epic's car rca to decide on this.
ranjithrnair is offline  
Old 27th February 2020, 15:48   #689
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 657 Times
Default Re: 2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Get the clock spring of your car inspected. Wires might be shorting out causing the MFD to change and paddles to behave badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnair View Post
Yes that's what I think too, unfortunately service centre ignored the concern when car was under warranty stating it's not reproducible when they checked . Now i will have to take the hit. Living with the issue as it's not troubling much . Shall wait for @Epic's car rca to decide on this.
I have ensured that I have made this complaint of the Cruise Control Switch a priority for them as my car will be out of warranty post mid March. So, I have put on record that this complaint has been generated while the car is still under warranty and if this issue is not sorted when the car is out of warranty, they will have to continue to find a permanent solution which should not be at my cost post the warranty period.

I have also sent them relevant screen shots of this issue discussed on Team-BHP and also on worldwide forums which would point to a manufacturing defect in the Jettas. It is also a point to note that almost all cars in India or worldwide facing this issue were manufactured in 2015.
Epic is offline  
Old 10th March 2020, 22:54   #690
BHPian
 
ranjithrnair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TRIVANDRUM/BANGALORE
Posts: 212
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

@Epic , is there an update from your side ?
ranjithrnair is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks