Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2015, 20:35   #631
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Many people asking about safety of this car. I guess at this price it will not be a safe car or is as safe as Alto or Nano, or less. So if someone wants safe car has to spend more money, as simple as that. No option or alternative here. Just adding one or two airbags also don't make any car more safer. This is a car for city use where speeds are low and chances of major accident is low compared to highways.

If someone wants a safe car in 4 lacs, better buy some safe car in used car market. That's the only option we have. I may sound little rude here but its a fact.
Modern cars are more reliable and comes with comfort features but a strong body goes a long way in protecting occupants. Kwid with it's ultra low weight is not confidence inspiring. Even with airbags with such a low kerb weight kwid may not be safe.
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:09   #632
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
I had checked alto 800 ex-showroom prices for delhi. It is in the range of 2.89 - 3.47 lacs as against the kwid prices of 2.57 - 3.53 lacs. I understand that kwid has better exterior design, some additional features like digital dash, AVN system etc but for the target audience consisting of major number of first time car buyers, would it be wrong to say that the brand value and trust in 'MS' coupled with the wide spread belief of 'best in the class' ownership cost and experience (for the segment) would more or less negate the positives of kwid over alto? I am not saying that nobody would pick kwid over alto, am saying would it be the preferred choice of major number of buyers to make a dent in the numbers of alto.

Extending the same thought, alto k10 is in the price range of 3.20 - 3.76 lacs, so if one is looking at the top end models of kwid, an increase in the budget of 25 to 30k would give him an alto k10 with a bigger 1 litre engine. I understand that this segment is highly price sensitive where even a difference of 20k matters, but in today's EMI world, it hardly makes a difference in monthly outgo and all this comparo would become much more interesting when we consider the discounts and other offers being played on alto currently.

Am i right or did i miss some real big differentiator in favour of kwid over alto while thinking so?
Very valid point, but I look at it this way. A few years ago the same 'people' swore by Nokia, they were a study in brand loyalty towards Nokia. When other options popped up that were better value for money or perceived to be better, they switched without a second thought. It would be very interesting to watch this space. Renault has bench-marked the Kwid against the Alto. If the Renault Engineers have delivered on their brief, then the Alto has a tough fight

There are many sob stories on Maruti service too. If you please someone, they tell 10 others, but if you dis-please them, they tell a 100. The same thing is happening with Maruti, their customers are slowly but surely speaking out. Suzuki cannot take India for granted
TheARUN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:59   #633
BHPian

Totally agreed with Arun.

May I add here that it was 1996 when mandatory airbags were introduced on all vehicles in N America . Driving in America or any developed world is different to as in India. Vehicle average speed, driver learning play an important role. Why do we have threads citing accidents in which airbags didn't function or how many of us have experience of ABS kicking in, or basics like seat belt. Does India has mandatory basic education for it's commercial vehicle drivers or atleast a driver graduation program.

Coming to Kwid an Amazing package from Renault, shows how hungry it is for an Indian success. Everthing so far, the App etc has been amazing, and with the pricing it will be a success.
Old 30th September 2015, 22:21   #634
BHPian

Took a test ride last week of the top end model. This car is way ahead of it's contemporaries. Maruti Suzuki really needs to pull up its socks. The car is an entry level hatch back but the looks and the drive are way better than the price it commands. Compared to the Maruti 800 and the Alto the driving experience was peppy and like its older sibling, The Duster, the superb mechanicals were very evident. This is really going to be a game changer for the entry level hatchback segment of the Indian Auto Industry.
ShellZee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 23:25   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Very valid point, but I look at it this way. A few years ago the same 'people' swore by Nokia, they were a study in brand loyalty towards Nokia. When other options popped up that were better value for money or perceived to be better, they switched without a second thought. It would be very interesting to watch this space. Renault has bench-marked the Kwid against the Alto. If the Renault Engineers have delivered on their brief, then the Alto has a tough fight

There are many sob stories on Maruti service too. If you please someone, they tell 10 others, but if you dis-please them, they tell a 100. The same thing is happening with Maruti, their customers are slowly but surely speaking out. Suzuki cannot take India for granted
In the nokia case you had pointed, there was a change in technology and platform - touch interface and android OS. These, coupled with increased data usage on hand- held devices (where touch screens are far more comfortable) made nokia seem redundant, almost overnight. Also, there were numerous options in touch mobiles with real wide- spread availability at inbelievably affordable prices. Coming to kwid, is there such a ground-breaking development in technology vs alto is the question. Agreed that it has better looks and some niceties over alto, but renault is no match for suzuki in market reach or brand recall in this segment. All these thoughts are because of my own scenario, wherein i may be looking for an entry level hatch in coming months as our second car, to be used by my wife for her office commute. Iam a person who would prefer top end models and with such a narrow gap between the two (which would further lessen if discounts on alto are to be considered) it is not going to be a straight forward pick. I may still opt for kwid for its looks (if it gets an overall thumbs up in our official review) and as i am based in a metro where renault has a good presence. But am not sure how many of the first time car buyers in tier II and III cities would think alike.

Regarding sob stories, they will be present with every brand and model. But when we speak of brand reputation, what matters is the percentage of such stories to the total size of customer. As things stand today and seem in the near future, maruti suzuki is the leader (more in these entry level segments) and i feel, is going to stay that way. Its no mean feat to ensure such consistent service and ownership experience considering the size of their customer base and number of dealerships. Seems that renault has bought an alternative to alto product wise, but they need to put in some serious and consistent efforts to pose threat to suzuki in this segment. As you said, would be interesting to see how it goes.
sasi@8689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 00:30   #636
BHPian

Has there been any word by Renault on the estimate service cost and spares? They had highlighted that aspect as one of their strong points for Kwid.
Old 1st October 2015, 09:12   #637

A big hello to all members. My very first post in Team-BHP. Coming straight to the topic now, Renault Kwid is an amazing product to be pitched against a tough competition comprising of Maruti and Hyundai. For the past few years, Maruti has taken its customers for granted. They know their products sell in lower segments no matter what, so they fired their designing team (assuming), saved hundreds of dollars, and came up with ugly designed cars in the form of Alto 800, Alto K10 and Celerio. Renault on the other hand has given its customers a head turning car at the lowest possible price.

I am looking for a new small car and had been waiting for the Kwid since its first unveiling in May of this year. In between i went to Maruti showroom to get quotes on K10 but never booked one. As Kwid is about to launch, Maruti guys call me up once in a while and give me strange arguments against Kwid. In their own words, "Renault is a flop company, their products never sell, Maruti to Maruti hai, paise de ke jayegi." One said "Aap Renault le lo, jab resale karne jaoge tab pta chalega." I felt bad and also sensed in them a fear from Kwid.
sprue12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 10:35   #638
Senior - BHPian

To support the above posts. My father was a die hard Maruti fan. He wanted to replace his 2012 AltoLXi with the K10. Now booked Kwid RxT.
But Im sure the resale would be more on Maruti. My dad picked up the Alto in 2012 for 3.30. Yesterday he got an offer for 2.95. Banging my head on the wall.

Last edited by beejay : 1st October 2015 at 10:37.
beejay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 11:44   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprue12 View Post
I am looking for a new small car and had been waiting for the Kwid since its first unveiling in May of this year. In between i went to Maruti showroom to get quotes on K10 but never booked one. As Kwid is about to launch, Maruti guys call me up once in a while and give me strange arguments against Kwid. In their own words, "Renault is a flop company, their products never sell, Maruti to Maruti hai, paise de ke jayegi." One said "Aap Renault le lo, jab resale karne jaoge tab pta chalega." I felt bad and also sensed in them a fear from Kwid.
Those are really some absurd reasons coming from Maruti to buy their vehicle over Renault's. It almost makes them seem insecure to fall back on the company's reputation to push the product. That's probably their only defense as of now, they don't have a product to match up to the Kwid and are losing sales fast to them.

Renault's pitch has been about at par with Maruti/Hyundai service cost and cost of spares. Plus, when you're purchasing a car for that price, what price are you actually looking to sell it at in resale say after about 8-10 years?

Does any one know what is the service schedule for the Kwid? 5,000 km or 10,000?
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 12:04   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
Took a test ride last week of the top end model. This car is way ahead of it's contemporaries. Maruti Suzuki really needs to pull up its socks. The car is an entry level hatch back but the looks and the drive are way better than the price it commands. Compared to the Maruti 800 and the Alto the driving experience was peppy and like its older sibling, The Duster, the superb mechanicals were very evident. This is really going to be a game changer for the entry level hatchback segment of the Indian Auto Industry.
Did you take a test ride in Chandigarh? When i called up the Renault showroom, salesman said demo car will be available only around October 13th. One with them has been sent to Leh for testing and that was too not for test drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2015 at 13:30. Reason: u > you. Please avoid typing in SMS lingo!
Old 1st October 2015, 13:21   #641
BHPian

Resale is dependent on

1. Service network

2. Parts cost / availability

3. Ownership experience

If Nissan wins at least 2 out of the 3 above, their cars should also hold a good resale value. The sheer volume of Maruti customers skews the game in their favor. But, let's hope that Nissan gives them a tough fight. My intention is not to get Maruti down, but to make sure that both companies do well and provide better experiences / value to the customer.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 13:22   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Did u take a test ride in Chandigarh? When i called up the Renault showroom, salesman said demo car will be available only around October 13th. One with them has been sent to Leh for testing and that was too not for test drive.
I wonder if it was driven to Leh ( :
Old 1st October 2015, 16:39   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Did you take a test ride in Chandigarh? When i called up the Renault showroom, salesman said demo car will be available only around October 13th. One with them has been sent to Leh for testing and that was too not for test drive.

In Mohali. The test drive vehicle was not officially sanctioned for that purpose I believe. But they let me drive it around as I was with a friend seriously considering their Duster AWD at that time. They had a single piece with no DEMO stickers on it.
Old 1st October 2015, 19:05   #644
BHPian

I had an Alto K10 in its earlier jellybean avatar, before this pokemon design was launched.
IMO, the Kwid wins hands down on the looks department over both the Eon and the Alto. It looks sturdier and butch, has more space than the Alto, has better ground clearance, and will be immensely customizable once the warranty period is over. You can put bigger tyres and alloys to give it a mini SUV look, and at what price!

I drive a Duster now, and I can tell you Renault isn't taking customer service lightly at all. There's no complacency in customer service, the cost of ownership isn't too high, and from what I heard about the Kwid's suspension and have experienced in my Duster's suspension, MS can't come anywhere near it. In Indian driving conditions, a good suspension and better ground clearance are two very important things, and whereas the Eon looks really funny with very smallish wheels and the Alto design is downright questionable, Renault definitely has a segment killer in their hands. Come on, which carmaker will give you something that looks better than the i10 and the new Baleno at the price of an Alto? It is time the market domination of MS and Hyundai take a beating, and am really hoping this car finds a huge market.

The driving also should be a breeze in the city because the torque comes in at 1200 rpm, so there should not be a requirement for frequent downshifts. Plus the amazing fuel economy (segment leading) and the promise from Renault to have a very low cost of ownership, why will anybody buy an Alto or an Eon? Yes, if you say you want a little more power from their 1 liter mills, also remember the risks of higher speeds in such a small car.

Hands-down winner. Only die-hard fans of Maruti will go to Maruti. And the resale market will be rewritten very soon, don't worry. Plonk your money here, I say.

A host of reviews available on youtube. Check out beautiful Renuka doing what she does best here:
Old 1st October 2015, 22:00   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
In Mohali. The test drive vehicle was not officially sanctioned for that purpose I believe. But they let me drive it around as I was with a friend seriously considering their Duster AWD at that time. They had a single piece with no DEMO stickers on it.
I have got to ask you sir, how do you find the power as compared to alto 800 and K10? I make frequent trips to shimla with 4 on board and i pretty much liked K10 when i drove it once. How was the low end torque of kwid and AC?
sprue12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks