Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2015, 16:46   #496
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
WOO HOO - what a shocker! Nobody can believe they did this!
Carlos Ghosn has always been talking 5% market share. It seems real now and how!

Coming to the product itself, easy buy! Nothing can displace Alto - but no prizes for guessing the #2 spot! Though Renault needs to increase their dealerships to get there.

Nevertheless, what a coup this is!!
Totally agree on the second position. However, its going to take something more to dethrone Alto. Its selling close to 25K units month on month. The next competitor(EON) is less than 5K. Even if it takes 20% of Alto's share, they will be ahead by a huge margin.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:10   #497
BHPian

Re: Renault's Kwid entry level hatchback unveiled EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.57 lakhs!

Man, this pricing is a real shock.

We are having good times, with yesterday figo launched at a good price and now this shocker

Just hope in future Renault can launch a bigger engine with ABS as an option atleast. Even though it is a city car but I think no one will mind spending a few extra grand to get ABS. ABS can be useful in city also.

If this doesn't challenge Alto, then nothing can.

Cheers
Peterf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:31   #498
BHPian

This should be a success. Hope they back it up with good A.S.S. Renault was able to pull it off in style with Duster. With this kind of pricing, no reason why they can't do it again with Kwid
mudhasir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:37   #499
BHPian

Attractive pricing for the KWID - hope the Introductory price is not shortlived.

Looking at these prices, where would the Datsun REDI-GO slot in? - given that Datsun is positioned as the lower cost brand vis-a-vis Renault.

From the perspective of numbers and dethroning the Alto from the top slot in this category, the output capacity of the plant would come into play. Wonder why they laid off staff recently due to under utilization of the plant as reported in the media.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 18:42   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
There are more variables involved in a car's body shell other than its sheer weight. Its design, material used, stress and load distribution play far more important role during impact.
Moreover, Kwid has an option of driver airbag which will improve chances of the driver surviving during crashes, which makes it a safer bet than nano and alto already!
I agree that design , material used and how the effect of the crash propagates through the structure and protects its participants matter - but at 660 kgs and 2.57 lakhs INR ex show room i don't think they used some hi tech magic material that is so light and yet so strong, also the structural design is pretty straightforward "like" a SUV, do not see how "innovative" it is to withstand a crash especially after their Datsun GO with a driver airbag scored a 2 star in the recent ASEAN NCAP ( yes the 2 cars are different but they are not miles apart in segment and are made by the same company)

Now Renault has definitely done a great job with its pricing and hats off - but its a no brainer that they have compromised on safety - now Renault is not alone here - our very own Market leader does the same thing.

Overall with what the India Market "want" - Renault seems to be bang on !, but with respect to what the Indian customers "need" - forget Renault, many companies are below par.
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 18:47   #501
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore pricelist.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150924_184652.png
Views: 23020
Size:  441.4 KB

( pic shared on a WhatsApp group )
schakravarthy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 18:52   #502
BHPian

Awesome pricing. If this does not sell and topple Alto from the thrown then I don't know what will. Aggressive marketing and social media interactions would be key to selling this.

I am just not sure about safety part - hopefully this has decent crash ratings.

Last edited by heydj : 24th September 2015 at 18:57.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 19:09   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pricing by Renault. Even if this introductory pricing is carried forward by them for the next 6-odd months, it should result in a considerable number of sales, specially from those who are looking at the Alto, Eon and even the Nano.

Now all they need to do is keep enough production lines free to roll out as many Kwids as are demanded, so that the waiting periods are kept to a minimum, specially through the festive season ahead, the New Year crowd-pulls, and March sales. Easier said than done, though.

Like someone pointed out, a RxZ is missing from the lineup, and is most probably reserved for the bigger 1.0L engine and/or the AMT option. Considering the response the Kwid might command in the days to come, I suspect Renault might be readying it for a year-end launch or at least by January 2016. Best to strike the iron while it's red hot - the Kwid is a serious game-changer, and it's prices have hit the bullseye.

Now, give me a bigger engine with a couple of airbags with the same kit at roughly 50,000 more, and you have a seriously hot (mini) hatch at 4 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi! This can take over the position which the erstwhile Hyundai Santro commanded - I dare say this might become the next Santro, even!

Good luck, Renault. Don't bungle up the prospects of your wonderful offering now.

Have a look at the placing of the Kwid in the entry-level segment, and tell me why a Nano customer shouldn't look at it seriously as well:

Name:  Untitled.GIF
Views: 25950
Size:  20.4 KB

For my money, I am getting a mini-SUVesque car, beefy and rugged styling all around, plenty of cabin space which would put cars from a segment above to shame, a fully functional touchscreen MID with navigation, build quality as good as it can be, plastics and fit & finish right up with a Hyundai, all-black interiors, humongous boot, super-fast off the blocks compared to the segment competition AND fuel-efficient at the same time, too.

The proof is in the pudding, and what a tasty concoction the Kwid has turned out to be!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th September 2015 at 19:20.
RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 19:52   #504
BHPian

Truth be told, I didn't think Renault would be able to hit their original price target. But they have and how! I really can't see any reasons to complain.

Also, wether or not the Kwid affects the Alto's sales, I believe Maruti will be watching the market very closely. Maruti is bigger than its parent Suzuki, and they simply won't let someone else gatecrash their party.

Finally, the success of the Kwid should help brand recall for Renault in India. Most people unfortunately still think of the Logan when they hear the name. Hopefully this will have a positive effect on the sales of the Fluence, Pulse etc.

Last edited by ampere : 24th September 2015 at 21:51. Reason: fixed typo
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 20:07   #505
BHPian

Well done Renault!! Mr.Carlos Ghosn you have kept your word and how!! Now I need to test drive one ASAP. Plus as an entry level car it is kitted well, looks good, cheaper than the segment leader and is fuel efficient. As a BHP-ian already mentioned if the KWID doesn't cannibalize Alto 800's sales I don't know what will.

Renault needs to ensure that their customer service and After sales Support is excellent, since many of this segments customers are gonna be first timers, otherwise it's gonna go downhill soon. Satisfy the customers and you can be sure that when they upgrade they have nothing but Renault on their mind.

Last edited by Shanksta : 24th September 2015 at 20:09.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 20:10   #506
BHPian

Very good pricing.

If Renault also start offering the AMT as a 30K option from the middle variant onwards, it will garner a lot of sales away from Alto 10K and Celerio even though they have 1000cc engines. The power to weight ratio of Kwid is high and should be able to offer a good driving experience with AMT.

The top end Kwid AMT will be just 3.85L!

Leaving enough room for a future 1L 'premium' model with added features to have a top-end around 4.5L.

The Alto has very little space. If Renault keep the sales and service experience good and get people to trust them, they can take the fight to the Alto, Celerio, and WagonR. That's a pretty large market.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 20:31   #507
BHPian

True VFM at these prices. Alto 800 should affect in the medium term if Renault does not do something silly to deter prospective customers. Eon is likely to feel immediate heat.

Hope we look forward to some upgrades launched sooner than later.

By the way, visited nearby Renault showroom today and was told that demo shall be available in about ten day's time. Test drive car may taken even longer to arrive. I am quite surprised. Not sure how it is at the other showrooms.
rsm97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 20:43   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
RXE: 2.89
RXE (O): 2.95
Difference: 0.06

RXT: 3.44
RXT (O): 3.53
Difference: 0.09

What additional features the (o) variants give over the correponding regular variant?
In addition to the features of the RxE, you get these in the RxE(O) for the 6,000 rupees extra:

a single-DIN stereo with radio AM/FM (with antenna) & MP3,
Bluetooth audio streaming & handsfree telephony,
an USB & an Aux-in Port,
two Front speakers, &
a 12V power socket.

Also, in addition to all the features of the RxT, you get a Driver airbag and a steering wheel leather wrap insert in the RxT(O) for the 9,000 rupees extra.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 21:00   #509

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
By the way, visited nearby Renault showroom today and was told that demo shall be available in about ten day's time. Test drive car may taken even longer to arrive. I am quite surprised. Not sure how it is at the other showrooms.
Got the same answer at the dealership in my city (Noida) as well. Was first told that the demo will be available by Sept 15, then Sept 25 and now it's the first week of October.

Not sure what's the delay. Maybe Renault wants to avoid the 'Shradh' season in India, or maybe it's just measuring the initial response and ramping up production accordingly so that the waiting period doesn't get too long when the car is eventually out.

Has anyone else seen the demo car in a showroom in the past 48 hours? Yes some pictures still leaked of cars entering demo showrooms but my dealer insists those were for media activities and have now actually gone back.

Also on a related note Ford ended production of the old Figo, Classic and Fiesta reportedly to free assembly lines to produce the new Figo and Aspire. Should Renault do the same with its non performing assets like Koleos, Fluence and even Scala/Pulse to free up space for the Kwid?
RitanRex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 21:03   #510
BHPian

Oh my, oh my..!

Excellent packaging at this price point. Features galore, even from a few segments above...

It comes with mood lighting that can be controlled by your smartphone; and the plethora of accessories (illuminated scuff plates, air pump, invertor and what not..) takes care of people like me who do not like to try out mods outside what the factory offers.

And in that dark bronze green, it looks so yummy.

Hats off to Renault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post

P.S.: Thanks SandyX for that link.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks