Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2016, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Great Scoop @volkman10.

If we go by recent history, I think the Hyundai Verna will be a fabulous car. Starting from the Grand i10 and upto the Creta, Hyundai can't put a foot wrong. (Except messing up the Creta's feature list)

Why does the rear look like it's from the i20? And the boot lid looks bland.

Hopefully Hyundai has a turbo petrol ready for launch.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Is it just me or does it really look like the Ciaz from a few angles like the side profile and headlights? Or is it because of the similar color?
It is more of an evolution than a radical change to the design, which is not a bad thing at all.
The rear definitely looks better/ mature but the existing front looks better to me than the new front. Interiors are from a basic variant but seems to have taken the latest design philosophy from the new Hyundais like Creta.
Overall a good effort. I just hope that Hyundai launches it this year by August/ September. Any idea around the launch dates?
Old 18th April 2016, 16:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai desparetely needs this one in India. Of course, given Hyundai's pro activeness, we will see it in India as soon as its ready for the global launch.
I was expecting something more flashy but i guess given the recent design direction taken by Hyundai (less fluidic), this one fits the bill.
The interior should feature some features not present in the segment currently and i am guessing we could see a colour MID and a Mirror link Sound system.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai would like to cash in in the festive season itself.

They have a best seller across most segments barring the A(where the Eon did not live upto expectations) and the lucrative C where the Ciaz and the City rule.

Verna started off strongly but the boat inspired ride and a higher price tag saw its decline.
Old 20th April 2016, 19:49   #20
BHPian

Great scoop!

Is it only me, for the rear seems to resemble that of the Chevrolet Sail Sedan.

It'll be interesting to see if this 2017 gen launch could make the same vibes as the 2011 launch did, thanks to the younger generation drifting to the compact SUVs, which offer both ground clearance and convenience to park in our ever growing cities.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Putting an end to all those camouflaged spy-shots and renderings, Hyundai has finally given us an official 'sneak peek' into its next-generation Verna sedan. Debuting as a concept at the Auto China 2016 in Beijing, the show car hints at what's in store in the new Verna when it makes its debut next year.

* The fascia, especially the headlights and the way they merge with the large hexagonal grille, are straight out of the i20 hatchback with a hint of the Ioniq.
* The split taillights are a common Hyundai trait and the Verna now follows in the footsteps of its bigger sibling, the Elantra, in terms of its rear design.
* The profile is similar to the current Verna but, crucially, the rear doors and windows appear to be a wee bit larger than the current model.
* The way in which the roof gradually drops down into the boot gives it a 'liftback' resemblance. This, again, is how most Hyundai and Honda sedans are designed these days (The Elantra and Civic have recently followed this path!).

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaivernaconceptfrontquarterattheautochina2016live.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaivernaconceptrearattheautochina2016live.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaivernaconceptsideattheautochina2016live.jpg

No other details of the car have been released apparently.

The big question now is, should Honda be worried? After all, Verna was the car that first showed Honda their City isn't invincible. Overall, interesting times ahead for the mid-size sedan segment buyers!

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2016/04/2...na-2016-229307

Last edited by arvi86 : 26th April 2016 at 11:53.
arvi86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 12:52   #22
BHPian

Wow! Looks hot! Lots of inspiration from Lexus and Infinity.
This segment is getting interesting again.
Old 26th April 2016, 13:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I didn't like the front. A sedan should look sleek & this design makes the front look bulky. Probably, the chrome is amplifying it. This front looks good on i20 being a hatch but not on the sedan. The rear is hawt though.

PS: I don't expect any changes in the powertrain as Hyundai still leads the pack on those specs. Really looking forward to the interior & features. They cant afford to be lousy if they want to gain the crown back.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th April 2016 at 13:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 14:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I didn't like the front. A sedan should look sleek & this design makes the front look bulky. Probably, the chrome is amplifying it. This front looks good on i20 being a hatch but not on the sedan. The rear is hawt though.
Exactly.

The Verna has always had it's own unique, distinctive personality. This one looks awfully similar to an i20 sedan, with a copied front and tail lamp section.

I don't like the huge, overdone front grille. Dollops of chrome don't help it's looks either. Also, the rear looks disproportionate and the rear bumper seems really bulky when compared to the front.

The coupe-like stance has always been Verna's trump card - I wish Hyundai had gone the new-gen Elantra way for designing the next-gen Verna, instead of borrowing so many styling cues graciously from the Elite i20.

Considering how important the next-gen Verna is for Hyundai's C-segment chances, I expected better from their creative team.

Will reserve my final judgement for when the actual car is revealed but for now, not impressed.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th April 2016 at 14:02.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 13:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hyundai has woken up finally.

The rear AC vents have become a standard feature in this category of cars. Hyundai has learnt its lesson (though by the hard way) that a buyer of today is more informed and demanding. He would not budge to the hollow explanations given by Hyundai for not having provided one on the Verna. In fact Hyundai should have provided it for the Verna 4S itself.
Old 15th June 2016, 19:04   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-gen 2017 Hyundai Verna will be longer, more spacious, offer more legroom for rear passengers, and most importantly, offer a mileage figure around the 25 kmpl mark - all of them marked improvements over it's current-gen model.

The engines for the new Verna will be retuned for better performance and mileage figures, as the 2,600mm wheelbase car will be benchmarked exclusively against the Honda City during it's pre-launch phase.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-main_cropped.jpg

Quote:
Powering the new Verna could be the same 1.6L & 1.4L petrol and diesel engines. However, all engines will be retuned not just for better performance, but for more mileage. Looking at the figures of City & Ciaz, the new Verna is expected to have a mileage of 25 kmpl from the 1.6L motor. So expect the 1.4L motor to deliver more than this.

Benchmarking the Honda City, the new Verna will also be longer and spacious than before. It will have a wheelbase of 2,600mm which will offer more legroom for rear occupants, which is currently falling short in the model which is on sale.
Shifting Gears
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 19:19   #27
BHPian

Do we have any information about auto transmission , i don't think the current 4 speed auto gear box would be used . At the same time the 6-Speed auto gear box used in Creta is not so frugal compared to other automatics .
I am in market for a diesel automatic and Vento being my first choice , can anyone throw any light on how it would compare with upcoming new Vento .
Old 16th June 2016, 04:15   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Do we have any information about auto transmission , i don't think the current 4 speed auto gear box would be used . At the same time the 6-Speed auto gear box used in Creta is not so frugal compared to other automatics .
I am in market for a diesel automatic and Vento being my first choice , can anyone throw any light on how it would compare with upcoming new Vento .
Now, there are a lot of rumors doing rounds regarding which AT transmission will be used in both the Elite i20 and next generation Verna. Initially, as per various reports the 6 Speed AT transmission from the Creta and Elantra was said to be used, then again came in the rumor that Hyundai will stick to the 4 Speed AT gearbox.

Now, Hyundai is working on a new AMT gearbox, initially reports suggested ZF will be the supplier though as per recent reports Hyundai is developing it themselves for all the developing markets including India. So, to keep the price competitive Hyundai might even plonk in the AMT Unit.

In Europe, Hyundai has recently equipped it's i30 hatch (Similar price range as Verna as per their market) with a 7 Speed DCT Automatic gearbox which is also expected to debut in India.

As per market trends and what my understanding, Hyundai will equip the Verna with it's old 4 Speed AT gearbox nor use the AMT Unit. The company will use it's existing 6 Speed Automatic gearbox from the Creta in Verna and the next generation Elantra might end up using the 7 Speed DCT Automatic. Though as both Rapid and Vento gets 7 Speed DSG, Hyundai might end up equipping the Verna too with DCT Transmission. All we can do is wait and see what Hyundai Motors India has in store for us.
YashD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 04:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info RavenAvi.

All I don't want in the verna is a soft suspension tune. If Hyundai follow the standard set by the Grand i10, Elite i20 and Creta, the car should handle decently.

I'm surprised we're not getting the 1.0 GDi engine. Turbopetrols in India haven't taken off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post

So, to keep the price competitive Hyundai might even plonk in the AMT Unit.
Seriously doubt it. The Verna is a C-segment challenger, Hyundai will equip it with the 6 speed TQ AT if there's no new transmission in the pipeline.
AMTs aren't smooth enough for a car of this class. Maybe acceptable on something like a Grand i10
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 08:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
All I don't want in the verna is a soft suspension tune. If Hyundai follow the standard set by the Grand i10, Elite i20 and Creta, the car should handle decently.
Soft suspension tune is actually an advantage for a country like India & can easily tackle the variety of potholes, tar-less roads, undulations etc in silent comfort. My Getz has a soft suspension, but it remains as stable as a rock when turning and in higher speeds it flattens every bad patch (70-80 kph), in comparison a couple of cars with hard or should I say "rigid" suspension had just too much of character on the roads with every undulation being felt with an audible thud and shaking of the cabin as a result. I liked it for that rough edge but I knew that I wouldn't want that in my daily drive. Just a personal opinion though.

Where Hyundai went wrong is in the execution of the soft suspension for the old i10, Fluidic-Verna and i20. There are multiple factors which determines the sweet-spot for a suspension and it varies with every car - the height of the car itself, the un-sprung weight, aerodynamics, frame rigidity and steering setup. Very noticeably, the i20 and Verna suffer from bad steering setup - Hyundai thought they can get away with just making the steering as light as possible for driving ease but what that does is make the electric motor put its full force into the steering and when the movement is that light and free the feedback is cut & the driver really would not know how much stress the suspension is under so that he/she can modulate the inputs for better stability. Also the spring adjustment of both these cars was possibly a weak point, they had too much play in them causing the unsprung weight to jiggle about. A recall/update for the Verna related to changing it coil-springs was done at some point and I guess the owners gave indication of the car becoming more stable (though other factors like steering and rigidity were counterproductive).

There has been much said and discussed about Hyundai's poor suspension tweaking.. that is true but in my opinion it is restricted to a few models like i10, i20 & Fluidic Verna. The Getz is a great car to drive and everyone who owns it says the same thing, the first-gen Verna with the 1.5 CRDi engine was another fun to drive car and the Santro felt pretty nice too. Of the current lot the Grand i10 and Xcent drive pretty good and give a good feeling of stability though both should be upgraded in terms of tyre specs (+10/20 mm section), their steering is a lot stiffer than the i20's and some road feedback can easily be felt at all times.

Hyundai now needs to go back to the basics, they know how to make a great drivable car but they stopped focussing on that and did what was simple and what most people would prefer (light controls, creature comforts, design). They have received enough flak for it and now hopefully they should work on the emotional aspect of driving - the feel and control which was lost along the way.

Having test-driven cars like the Punto (brilliant handler but poor ergonomics), BMW 320i E90 (fantastic steering and stability but a bit of a hard suspension), and a Mini (typical go-kart, too much surge for the city) I can say most Hyundai models aren't quite up to the mark but at the same time not at all bad either for day-to-day India specific roads.

Last edited by dark.knight : 16th June 2016 at 08:10.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks