Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:25   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If one car can destroy the sales of City/Ciaz, it will be the Verna
Not with this generation for sure!

Even BHP'ians are getting confused (see above!) whether it is a facelift or an all new generation. Do we really expect the mass market to sit up and take notice?

No drastic change in looks - Check.
No major change in engines - Check.
No major change in interiors and features - Check.

Agreed Verna was good in all these departments, but the masses are going to perceive this change as a major facelift at best and hence it will not impact the segment in any big way IMHO.

Verna has been secluded to a distant third position these days as compared to the City and Verna and Hyundai needed a lot more effort put in, to revive it back as the winner it once was!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:08   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not with this generation for sure!

Even BHP'ians are getting confused (see above!) whether it is a facelift or an all new generation. Do we really expect the mass market to sit up and take notice?

Agreed Verna was good in all these departments, but the masses are going to perceive this change as a major facelift at best and hence it will not impact the segment in any big way IMHO.

Verna has been secluded to a distant third position these days as compared to the City and Verna and Hyundai needed a lot more effort put in, to revive it back as the winner it once was!
I think Hyundai should be able to sell new gen Verna in decent numbers if it brings in fully loaded 6 speed automatic variants (including all the safety features) at a VFM price. I think we still don't have a SAFE/RELIABLE fully loaded automatic diesel sedan at this price point and Verna could plug this gap. I sincerely hope they don't skip the SX(O) AT variants while launching the new gen Verna.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 3rd July 2017 at 13:19.
ece2k2 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:34   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I think we still don't have a SAFE/RELIABLE fully loaded automatic diesel sedan at this price point and Verna could plug this gap.
I do agree with you that such a car would plug a gap.

But, automatic diesel top end customers are rare for this particular segment due to the price overlap a diesel + loaded + automatic combination brings with other segments. Also, among those also, some costumers will tend to buy the Vento / Rapid for the superior DSG box.

So, while Verna might offer a more reliable proposition for those costumers in a six speed diesel variant, altogether I expect it to be a niche market that won't drive volumes. Perhaps adding a 200 - 300 cars per month to the overall kitty.

Which will not affect the overall sales success of the car in the long run.
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:18   #154
BHPian

Quote:
But, automatic diesel top end customers are rare for this particular segment due to the price overlap a diesel + loaded + automatic combination brings with other segments. Also, among those also, some costumers will tend to buy the Vento / Rapid for the superior DSG box.
I believe there is no other reliable diesel automatic sedan option around 12-13 lakhs ex-showroom and one needs to spend around 50% more to buy one from the next higher segment. The only alternative is Vento/Rapid DSG whose reliability is still a question. I think the AT market will easily expand if we get quality options in this segment.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:11   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps, true but I'm personally waiting for this one.. I have a feeling that most of the changes will be at the user experience, tactility and haptics level.. I'm sure you've observed that the Grand i10/Xcent has fantastic tactility and overall passenger comfort.. i.e the way the buttons/stalks are solid yet easy to push, the way the door shuts and the way everything feels is simply 2 segments higher and I've tried it out after reading GTO's posts and even your posts regarding the same.. it is all true and having briefly experienced much higher end cars I'd say Hyundai has stepped up the game like crazy since the generation beginning from Grand i10. Unfortunately the company is never appreciated for what it dared to do for us buyers at a time when the other offerings simply paled in comparison (pre-VW/Skoda era). Even the Germans were stingy when they arrived at first and acted like they were doing us all a favor but boy did Hyundai put them in their place quick.

Yes, in certain areas Hyundai has "lessened" its quality from the days they used to make European models right here in India.. the Getz for example was made here and exported to Europe and it simply feels as solid as a Punto and much more than a Polo.. they know how to do it, they simply choose not to do it.

I believe that this is a good looking car, perhaps the best looking for me personally since it has a mix of curves and lines and is more European than ever. If they do come up with an autobox with 6 speeds and petrol engine (diesel is dying out, they better give a good petrol offering this time) then many of us will appreciate it thoroughly. I'm quite sure 2 airbags and ABS will be standard this time and 6 airbags in top variant this time around given that the safety norms are about to kick in and since they need to give a tough fight to City this time.. they will also have a trick or 2 under their sleeve to differentiate it from the Creta as well.

With a sunroof, this seems to be much better value than the Elantra too given that the difference in interior space wont be more than a couple of inches between them. I'm also very sure given the amount of abuse the Verna has received for its wallowy suspension and light steering, that the company would've easily worked on it to make it acceptably compliant in every situation if not the best. This might just be a winner if priced within Rs.15L-16L or so. I am keeping a close watch.

Last edited by dark.knight : 3rd July 2017 at 18:15.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 23:32   #156
BHPian

Hyundai India has released a sketch of the interior of upcoming Verna on their FB page.
Link here : http://bit.ly/NextGenSedan
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-verna1.jpg  

Last edited by Caffeinated : 3rd July 2017 at 23:34.
Caffeinated is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 11:20   #157
BHPian

The biggest weakness of the current Verna is the rear seat. It is claustrophobic to say the least. The hip point is too low. You get a feeling of being hemmed in.

The next biggest weakness was the high speed handling. Is floaty and non confidence inspiring.

Verna was always a well kitted good looking car with great diesel and average petrol engines. You can put as many features as you want but you wont have a mass market hit till the basic shortcomings are fixed.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 12:13   #158
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
If you look at the current market, none of the cars in this category have an amazing engine! The best ones are 1.2TSI and 1.5 iVTEC. So Hyundai need not do anything different! Their Diesel is the best in town in terms of refinement and the Petrol is not very bad either.

The best way for them to distinguish this car would be to improve the feel inside the cabin even further and ensure they are spot on in terms of ride and handling. Since Hyundai have always been ahead in the 'Feature' game, they can be expected to exceed the expectation this time as well.

I think they will price the top end variant of the car well below City Zx (1 Lakh cheaper) and the lower most variant in the Ciaz category. This way they would hit all the segments and cover the market. Vento and Rapid anyways are not mass market cars and appeal to a different set of car buyers anyways! This way they would still have a market of around 4000 units a month, which is not bad considering that the overall average volume in this category is close to 10K units monthly.

Last edited by MCR : 5th July 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Typo
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 12:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

I test drove the present gen Verna as part of an exercise for selecting my next car. The test drive followed the Toyota Etios petrol. I was expecting to be blown away by the Verna with it's premium feel and features: that was not to be! Verna experience was so 'underwhelming' both in the comfort and dynamics category, meaning neither me the driver nor the occupants were comfortable after the TD! It was a foregone decision that Verna was ticked off the list and came across as the worst car I had TDed before zeroing in on the Honda City! In the midst of the TD, I tried to adjust the driver's seat to make it more comfortable for me at least twice or thrice, but it didn't change things one bit!

I think the Verna needs to redeem itself in two categories seat comfort and tighter dynamics! The seat is too low and dynamics too loose for my liking. What ever be the cost and features on offer!

The so called latest Verna is rather generic in appearance and interiors are all black: nothing spectacular.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 15:46   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

The upcoming Verna's test mule equipped with a touchscreen HU was spotted in Chennai by an IAB reader.

Quote:
Projector headlights, electrically adjustable and retractable ORVMs, keyless entry, push-button start, automatic climate control, rear AC vents, touchscreen infotainment system with satellite navigation, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and voice control, leather steering, gearshift knob and seats, parking sensors, reverse camera, ABS with EBD and six airbags are among the expected highlights of the 2017 Hyundai Verna.
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernarearthreequartersindiaspyshot.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernaleftsideinmotionspyshot.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernaleftsidespyshot.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernaindiaspyshot.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-indianspec2017hyundaivernaspyshot.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 22:07   #161
Senior - BHPian

More spy-shots emerge, this time of one of the lower variants. I quite like what I see with the rear reminding me of the sexy Elantra. And this is one of those rare lower variants that doesn't look under-tired.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-201707_new-hyundai-verna-1.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-201707_new-hyundai-verna-2.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-201707_new-hyundai-verna-4.jpg
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-201707_new-hyundai-verna-5.jpg

Source: Anything-On-Wheels
arvi86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:38   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

First official teaser.

RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:13   #163
BHPian

Extremely excited and looking forward to this launch. I have kept my new car buying plans on hold waiting for the new Verna. I am hoping they price it well and not increase the prices from the current-gen Verna so they can give a good competition to the Honda City.
pathik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 17:48   #164
Senior - BHPian

The next-gen Hyundai Verna is expected to be launched in August 2017 and pre-bookings are set to open soon.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th July 2017 at 17:53.
Old 14th July 2017, 22:52   #165
BHPian

These are the same marketing materials that were used for the launch of the 2018 Hyundai Accent in North America. Design looks pretty underwhelming, especially from the back.

Unveil video can be seen here:

Pictures from the launch below:
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-c22142cbad0a4ab88f5e31342d031c121609000001864d00fbcb.jpeg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-61082dc055a948d6aca91368673300be1609000001867445e52e.jpeg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-9e5a17c2e6904879a30042a432fdbc801609000001865da9154d.jpeg  

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-cbbabc7a07084b0e89b1191a6bb482901609000001866b4728b4.jpeg  

Last edited by Silverfire : 14th July 2017 at 22:54.
Silverfire is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks