Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:11   #196
AYP
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

I can't believe that they are retaining the 4 speed AT. It simply fades in the era of 6/7 gear automatics with lightning quick shifting DSGs. Also, this car has no 'wow factor' at all. This is unlike the case in 2011 wherein I was in awe of the newly launched Verna. This 'wow factor' is the thing which can make or break the Verna's innings in India and so far it looks like it might only be able to outsell its German rivals. The main positive of this car should be the better build quality over the Ciaz and the City. As far as driving dynamics is concerned, not too many people are concerned about it.

As far as those projectors are concerned, I highly doubt if they are HIDs. The Creta and even the base variants of Elantra and Tucson don't get those. While there is no taking away from all the positives of Hyundai as a brand, especially when it comes to keeping Maruti in check, their recent feature allotment and distribution is horrible to say the least. Few illustrations being-

1. Lack of complete safety features in low and mid variants of the I10 and the Xcent.

2. No ABS in lower variants and taking away of some basic features in the I20 Sportz variant. No ACC, no reverse parking sensors. Heck, not even Tilt adjustable steering wheel. What next? Sliding front seats standard only on Asta variants.

3. Lack of several big and small features in the Creta.

4. Lack of few basic features in the lower variants of Elantra and the Tucson. Not providing ventilated seats in the Elantra SX(O) manual and not providing them at all in the Tucson.

It is only because Hyundai cars were features packed(and had a solid built) that Maruti started equipping their cars with truckload of features. One of the main reasons why Brezza lacks features like leather wrapped steering wheel and LED projectors is because we have a product in India called Ford Ecosport and not Hyundai Ecosport. Mostly all the newly launched Marutis have segment best features. I hope that Hyundai smells the coffee and takes corrective measures before it is too late.

P.S.- This post may not be completely relevant to this thread, especially the later part, but the news about Hyundai retaining the 4 speed AT, just got me going. I hope that this news is somehow not true, though it is highly unlikely coming from RavenAvi.

Last edited by AYP : 2nd August 2017 at 00:13.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 01:41   #197
BHPian

What surprises me is that the Hyundai Solaris launched in Russia earlier this year and the Hyundai Accent 2018 of North America both come with 6-speed AT option. The Indian version of Verna is supposed to be the same as these two, then how come we get only 4-speed AT?
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:27   #198
BHPian

What a shame. I was banking on verna with 6 speed AT and even withheld booking vento dsg for reliability issues. Now i have to look elsewhere. It is a real pathetic strategy from hyundai.

@Ravenavi can you reconfirm just to be doubly sure?. If no 6 speed AT, I will go and book Vento DSG 1.2TSI right away.

Last edited by drashkum : 2nd August 2017 at 08:47.
Old 2nd August 2017, 09:08   #199
BHPian

I was really looking forward to buy the new gen Verna if it gets launched with 6 speed AT in SX(O) trim and I am disappointed to hear that it still continues with that stone age 4 speed AT box

Looks like Hyundai isn't that interested to revive Verna's sales
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:00   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
@Ravenavi can you reconfirm just to be doubly sure?. If no 6 speed AT, I will go and book Vento DSG 1.2TSI right away.
Service training for the 2017 Verna started from around the 20th of July, while sales training is now going on.

Those 2 slides describing the dimensions and specs are from the service training batch, so there's a slim chance that they might be incorrect. Still, I am digging further into this and will have a confirmation on the AT transmission in the next couple of days.

But yes, it will be a real shame if the Verna is not loaded enough to take on the competition, which has moved on and has grabbed it's market share. Not to mention the compact SUVs in the Verna's price range which are ruling the roost. Hyundai needs to load the Verna with everything in it's arsenal to ensure it's a reasonable seller. With the City and the Ciaz breathing down it's neck, there won't be any relenting from it's competition anytime soon.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:31   #201
BHPian

Verna needs to move on from 4 speed AT to 6 speed AT. It was a good package already for city drive loaded with most bells and whistles.

I think Hyundai didn't want to upgrade Verna as Ciaz the segment leader also has only 4 speed AT. They don't consider Honda and VW as competition as they already own the second place. It is just a matter of playing safe and reaping the moolah.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:14   #202
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Bringing you yet another Team-BHP Exclusive - the all-new 2017 Verna's spyshots!
Thanks RavenAvi! Quite a scoop.

Just wanted to add that the specs shared aren't final (as told by an insider). They *might* change. I hope it's to do with the 4-speed AT.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:02   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Wow!!!This thread has indeed gone quiet. The launch is scheduled for 22nd of August and I see nobody talking about the feature set or the expected launch price. Clearly shows how much the launch is being looked forward to. Perhaps Hyundai marketing team should do something to ensure that there is some sort of build up to the launch. Perhaps some sort of Media launch?
What is there to discuss?

After RavenAvi shared the scoop, all that I found interesting (in a negative way) was the 4 speed AT transmission.

The segment has really caught up in terms of features, that Hyundai has a lot to catchup rather than innovate. Engine specs and transmissions are also expected to remain the same, except for (hopefully) the 4 speed AT as GTO mentioned above.

All that is left to discuss is the price, but I doubt that would help revive the interest. Hope there are big surprises in the ride quality department.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:44   #204
BHPian

Very rarely you come across a new model from Hyundai and which is not a head turner.
Sadly, the new Verna is more of a face lift than a new model. Looks pretty much the same from side, front grill is changed-which was also the case with mid life face lift in 2015 and minor changes in rear.
Unless they don't get their interiors right i.e. better thigh support for rear passengers, driver seat height adjustment, tilt and telescopic steering, better ingress, the car would not trouble the chartists as engine specs were always better in Verna.
Like someone said, success seem to have gone on top of Hyundai after their tryst with Creta, Verna,Grand i10 etc. (basically after their Fluidic 1.0 philosophy became a hit). They seem to be taking their customers for granted by charging a premium on their cars and reducing the feature list.

Hope they learn from Honda
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:22   #205
Senior - BHPian

It's a 6-speed AT. Confirmed. You will hear about it in the press very soon.
Revvmaster is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:23   #206
Senior - BHPian

Elantra has the Eco and sport trims with dual clutch automatic transmission in the US, Canada and Europe. Hyundai should definitely offer those in India . I don't see why not.
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:48   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
Is it a reliable source? May i know what time frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks RavenAvi! Quite a scoop.

Just wanted to add that the specs shared aren't final (as told by an insider). They *might* change. I hope it's to do with the 4-speed AT.
Haha. Engine and Transmission are core of the strategic decisions that the high level management make before they decide to even test the vehicle. Is it possible to change the core decision at the last minute?
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:56   #208
SRM
BHPian

Absolutely spot on! This is what I have been feeling about Hyundai for quite sometime now. They were known for their features-laden car and good engines with decent driveability. Maruti had to change their game because of Hyundai and now while MARUTI is the new HYUNDAI, HYUNDAI chooses to become a MARUTI.

Disappointing from a promising competitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I can't believe that they are retaining the 4 speed AT. It simply fades in the era of 6/7 gear automatics with lightning quick shifting DSGs. Also, this car has no 'wow factor' at all. This is unlike the case in 2011 wherein I was in awe of the newly launched Verna. This 'wow factor' is the thing which can make or break the Verna's innings in India and so far it looks like it might only be able to outsell its German rivals. The main positive of this car should be the better build quality over the Ciaz and the City. As far as driving dynamics is concerned, not too many people are concerned about it.

As far as those projectors are concerned, I highly doubt if they are HIDs. The Creta and even the base variants of Elantra and Tucson don't get those. While there is no taking away from all the positives of Hyundai as a brand, especially when it comes to keeping Maruti in check, their recent feature allotment and distribution is horrible to say the least. Few illustrations being-

1. Lack of complete safety features in low and mid variants of the I10 and the Xcent.

2. No ABS in lower variants and taking away of some basic features in the I20 Sportz variant. No ACC, no reverse parking sensors. Heck, not even Tilt adjustable steering wheel. What next? Sliding front seats standard only on Asta variants.

3. Lack of several big and small features in the Creta.

4. Lack of few basic features in the lower variants of Elantra and the Tucson. Not providing ventilated seats in the Elantra SX(O) manual and not providing them at all in the Tucson.

It is only because Hyundai cars were features packed(and had a solid built) that Maruti started equipping their cars with truckload of features. One of the main reasons why Brezza lacks features like leather wrapped steering wheel and LED projectors is because we have a product in India called Ford Ecosport and not Hyundai Ecosport. Mostly all the newly launched Marutis have segment best features. I hope that Hyundai smells the coffee and takes corrective measures before it is too late.

P.S.- This post may not be completely relevant to this thread, especially the later part, but the news about Hyundai retaining the 4 speed AT, just got me going. I hope that this news is somehow not true, though it is highly unlikely coming from RavenAvi.
SRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:12   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
Is it a reliable source? May i know what time frame?

Haha. Engine and Transmission are core of the strategic decisions that the high level management make before they decide to even test the vehicle. Is it possible to change the core decision at the last minute?
An extremely reliable source, let me put it at that since this is a public forum. Select press will be driving the car later this week at a preview at the plant.
Revvmaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:20   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster View Post
Quite a few of us, including I, will be eating some of our words (if not all) if this is true. I hope it is.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks