Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 13:57   #106
BHPian

re: The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Thanks, but why do you think there is a need of additional accessories? I have not seen this across EU, cannot comment about US though. Multiple car companies / multiple offerings but hardly any change in the external look of the car (barring SUVs and highly modded off-roading machines).

Hyundai offers reasonable good design and Fluidic 2.0 has further reduced the lines and creases and looks to be quite good.
Cheers
There are two important points to mull over:

1) company is marketing the fluidic design aggressively - perhaps the only car maker in India which pushes its cars on the back of design philosophy (I am not talking about EU or US where customer/product mix is very different)

2) company seems to lack faith in the design to hold true following even minor modifications, or even age gracefully (like a VW Jetta for instance or the 3rd gen Honda City, all Mercs on the road). Is it fair to say the fluidic design (which is edgy and often goes with 'to each his own' - i like it for instance) is always in unstable equilibrium - one little change and it likely falls apart and not appeal any more. Is it the reason why Hyundai is the only company which does not promote accessories for exterior?

Also, perhaps the reason Hyundai had to reboot its fluidic design from scratch (Tuscon, new Elantra, and upcoming Verna etc.) and could not have afforded subtler changes to the existing design.
Old 12th April 2017, 15:16   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
There are two important points to mull over:

1) company is marketing the fluidic design aggressively - perhaps the only car maker in India which pushes its cars on the back of design philosophy (I am not talking about EU or US where customer/product mix is very different)

2) company seems to lack faith in the design to hold true following even minor modifications, or even age gracefully (like a VW Jetta for instance or the 3rd gen Honda City, all Mercs on the road). Is it fair to say the fluidic design (which is edgy and often goes with 'to each his own' - i like it for instance) is always in unstable equilibrium - one little change and it likely falls apart and not appeal any more. Is it the reason why Hyundai is the only company which does not promote accessories for exterior?

Also, perhaps the reason Hyundai had to reboot its fluidic design from scratch (Tuscon, new Elantra, and upcoming Verna etc.) and could not have afforded subtler changes to the existing design.
Or, maybe the reasons are:

1) The company is proud of its fluidic design and hence uses it as a marketing point.

2) The company is confident that the design is so flawless out of the factory that it does not require additional modifications to enhance the beauty.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 12th April 2017 at 15:20.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 18:06   #108
BHPian

re: The 2018 Hyundai i20 facelift caught in India

Well soon everyone can play spot the difference among Hyundai Cars. There is no prize for guessing how Verna or Creta facelift are going to look.

While it is good to have a family look Hyundai is taking things a little too far.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th April 2017 at 07:08. Reason: Typo
pacman2881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:19   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
While it is good to have a family look Hyundai is taking things a little too far.
As compared to say, Volkswagen (who started the tradition), Skoda (that looks like VW), BMW, Mercedes etc?

I'm not saying its a good thing but it boils down to those who like the looks of each brand. Its a decision at the end of the day per brand and I suspect others like Toyota and Honda will follow suit (more than half of their models have the family look as well). Suzuki have not gone down that path, good for them but why single out Hyundai only when there are other brands with total family looks?

Personally I do not like the design path Hyundai are aiming at, not because they all look the same.. there are enough differentiating design elements to distinguish each of their cars, but because they keep fiddling with and re-working even the best of their cars simply because they can and they ruin that great design.

In a way yes, see a well maintained Santro Xing even today and one can immediately identify it as a Santro and it still looks relevant, same for the Getz and Accent Viva. They all didn't look like each other but yet were distinctly Hyundai and they helped the brand become what they are today. VW's Jetta when it came to India first was the best looking sedan of all, same for the Skoda Laura, now both look like flatter, wider and longer Polos.

Platform sharing is here to stay, and that is going to result in similar looks all over the industry.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 13:21   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think the partial front pic posted by ACI is of the i20 facelift.

Rather, it matches the upcoming 2017 Verna to a T.

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-untitled.jpg

Check the headlamp section, the front grille design, the cuts and creases on the front bumper, especially the one above the foglamp, and the cut across the bonnet. Even the kink just below the headlamp section, and the placement of the "H" logo and the front number plate is the same.

That is the 2017 Verna, without any doubt.

Except for the number of chrome bars on the front grille, but that could be an India-specific change.

Also, knowing Hyundai, they won't duplicate the Verna's entire front into a morphed i20.

And, any spy photographer who captured the entire rear of the facelifted i20, won't click such a partial, close shot of the front.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 23rd April 2017 at 13:24.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 15:36   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

You're right, but if you look at the grille, they are two completely different grilles.

The Verna has a sharper top edge while the one in the test car slightly angles lower before going into the verticals.

Also the Verna has more horizontal chrome slats than the test car spotted here, but of course it could be different trims.
Porcupine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 18:14   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As compared to say, Volkswagen (who started the tradition), Skoda (that looks like VW), BMW, Mercedes etc?
BMW or Mercedes started at the top and have more aspirational value. When they wanted to widen their market by making smaller cars that looked like their higher end models, it clicked. In case of Hyundai, they are trying to move up the value chain and making all of them look the same may not have the same effect.
All said, I am not in favor of other manufacturers making similar looking cars either. Each car should have it's own character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Platform sharing is here to stay, and that is going to result in similar looks all over the industry.
The Kwid and Redigo are in effect the same car. First gen Swift and Ritz were same cars under the skin. Same will go for 2017 Swift and the new Baleno. Do they look the same? It is not about platform sharing but a conscious decision by the manufacturers. I like Suzuki in this regard.

Quote:

I am doubtful if Hyundai will consider a hatch version of the Verna. One advantage of having similar looking cars is probably to keep us guessing till the full car is revealed

Last edited by pacman2881 : 23rd April 2017 at 18:20.
pacman2881 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 09:56   #113
BHPian

Quote:

I completely agree with you here. Also the Honda City next to it could be plain coincidence or might be being bench-marked.
sathya.bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2017, 13:43   #114
BHPian

Re: The 2018 Hyundai i20 facelift

I think this could be the new i20. Sharper headlights towards the grill, bumper crease under headlight and the bonnet line look different also the distance between the headlight and bumper. That said, the design philosophy is very identical indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-untitled.jpg  

Torino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 23:27   #115
BHPian

Hyundai verna all set to launch in Aug 2017

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/04/2...n-video-265456

From the article:
- 2580 mm wheelbase and fluidic design
- same engines and no changes to the engines
- higher fuel efficiency
- similar pricing as current verna
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:36   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Next GEN Verna spied again on test,

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaiverna2017spied1.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaiverna2017spied4.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaiverna2017spied2.jpg

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-hyundaiverna2017spied3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd May 2017 at 20:38.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:30   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Next GEN Verna spied again on test,
The last image shows something in black on the roof of the car. Is it a body wrap or a sun roof?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd June 2017 at 06:58. Reason: Formatted quoted post
bhaskaracs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:33   #118
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post

The last image shows something in black on the roof of the car. Is it a body wrap or a sun roof?
Well-spotted!

It indeed looks like a sun-roof.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:54   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

The grille of the Chinese variant makes the Verna look better (A7ish if i may say so);

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-sunroof.jpg

The Indian variant on the other hand;

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernaofficialimagefrontangle.jpg

Also the different rear thanks to the number plate going down to the bumper gives it a fresh new identity for the Chinese market;

The 2017 Hyundai Verna. Launched at 8 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi-2017hyundaivernarearthreequartermakesworldpremiere.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 4th May 2017 at 12:02.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:14   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The grille of the Chinese variant makes the Verna look better (A7ish if i may say so);

Attachment 1635793
Brazil bound Creta 2017 has a similar grille design that merges with headlamps. Looks like it's on Hyundai's fluidic theme for 2017 that applies across its range of vehicles. Of course India gets the same update after it has traveled the world

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 4th May 2017 at 12:16.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks