Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2017, 15:47   #2296
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
1) The overall feel of the interiors was wonderful! Maybe since I am directly comparing to my Storme!
Yes, it is.

Quote:
3) The NVH (at stationary) felt definitely better than my Storme.
Yes, NVH is good even in running.
Quote:
4) Did not like the placement of the push button starter, completely blocked by the steering wheel.
Not a deal breaker. Once you start using it, you wont even think where it is. Just like we dont search for the placement of the ignition key.
Quote:
5) Gear shifts (even at standstill) felt much more positive and smooth.
continues during running too.
Quote:
6) Finally, they gave a safety collar for engaging the reverse gear on the gear lever! .
Required for this layout of 6 + 1
Quote:
8) I tripped a bit, on the running board, while entering the rear seat; the height may cause some discomfort for few.
Still better than the i20 Elite
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 16:26   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Not a deal breaker. Once you start using it, you wont even think where it is.
True, not a deal breaker at all. I just thought for folks graduating from a key-based system to this (and on the left side), may be a significant change to get used to. BTW, what's with most (new) cars having the button on the left, instead of right?!

Quote:
Required for this layout of 6 + 1
True, my point was wrt the V400 Storme; why did they give this essential device a miss!? I guess the HEXA too doesn't have it.
Old 17th September 2017, 16:56   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Just had a glimpse of the Nexon while I was passing by Prerana.

Rear seat folding : The seat base flips forward (with just a tiny bit of struggle) & the backrest folds down sufficiently well.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170917_144404.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170917_144411.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170917_144407.jpg

Rest of the points as discussed earlier may be true, but frankly, from outside the Nexon is too small to be called any cannotation close to 'SUV'. It's simply not. To say so builds unreal expectations IMHO.

Ingress & egress, especially for the rear has a narrow & steep running board (?). Ideally won't be suitable for aged parents.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th September 2017 at 17:22.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 17:04   #2299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Rear seat folding : The seat base flips forward (with a bit of struggle) & the backrest folds down sufficiently well.
Thanks ! That puts the discussion to rest. My earlier premise that the SA was not familiar was correct. And about that step, I will still live with it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 18:49   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Credits: Soumitro on YouTube
A little OT, that's BHPian BlackPearl's Channel.
nerd1200 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2017, 18:51   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Did anybody noticed the front right headlamp going off at 01:41 and then coming back to life after few seconds.
The top variant has static cornering lamp function built into the front fogs. From the video it looks like, maybe the holder or some connection was awry because as soon as the Nexon climbed that LH tilt obstacle that the headlight briefly flickered before coming back to life.

Last edited by arjab : 17th September 2017 at 18:59.
Old 18th September 2017, 00:19   #2302
Distinguished - BHPian

Worth watching.

RavenAvi is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 01:08   #2303
Team-BHP Support

The Tata Nexon SKill Arena was held in Aquatica, Kolkata on 16th and 17th September. The place was just outside our apartment complex. The result was that I spent most of this weekend there
Regarding the event, I would like to divide it into two parts -
1> The track experience
2> Outside the track experience

First the experience outside the track - It was a well organized and well managed event. There were signs put up on the road for easy identification of the place. There were refreshments, enough people to attend you, easy registration process on the spot, well versed people from Tata Motors and the 4 dealerships namely TC Motors, RD Motors, Dulichand and Lexus Motors. The number of vehicles were more than adequate, 4 diesels and 2 petrol variants.

Regarding the experience within the track, the track was short and sweet. There were rumble strips, axle twisters, sharp u-turns, side inclines, slaloms, parallel parking etc. I would say it was a good experience, but there is scope for improvement. The instructors will need a bit more training on how to instruct the driver. There needs to be better co-ordination between the on-board instructor and the flag marshals on the track.

Now, the main point of attraction, the vehicle. I drove only the diesel variant. The drive on the track was too short to truly judge the vehicle. There are a few things I really liked because they suit my kind of requirements -

1. Superb ground clearance, approach angle, departure angle and ramp-over angle. One has to experience the actual ground clearance on this vehicle. It is not like the on-paper numbers that we see nowadays on a few compact SUVs. Wish Tata could provide an AWD in this one.

2. Good low end torque. I found it far better than the Ecosport. I have not driven the Brezza too much, so will not be able compare.

3. Fantastic ride quality as expected from a Tata vehicle

4. I am not too keen on the interiors and I find the interiors of most modern cars good enough after driving the Thar and the Bolero. But I don't think many people will disagree that the interiors are nice and spacious.

Looks are very subjective and I am not a big fan of roundish vehicles or those with a lot of curves. I love straight lines on SUVs and compact SUVs. But bhpian PapaBravo said that he loved the looks and told that it will grow on me as well! Only time can tell that.

A few pictures from the event -

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

The line up of Nexons ready for the skill arena
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2a.jpg

A few of the bhpians who attended the event -

Teesta and PapaBravo's better half -

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg

Teesta's car throwing up some dust! pic credit PapaBravo -

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpg

arindam_xeta along with Mr. Sudip from TC Motors

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpg

BlackPearl

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-6.jpg

Samfromindia

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-7.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-8.jpg

Random clicks from the arena -

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-9.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-10.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-11.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-12.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-13.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-14.jpg

The Red Nexon parked in the field outside for media shoot

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-15.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-16.jpg

At the end of the drive each participant was gifted a dual port car charger with the Tata Nexon branding. A nice gesture

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-17.jpg

A video of the drive in the arena by a participant -

BlackPearl is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 10:11   #2304
BHPian

I really really wish this product succeeds in our market. Tata has come up with a really great product which ticks of many boxes for many segment buyers. This has the potential to take the fight to the Brezza and the Ecosport and also a lot of Tata sedan (:looks around for a Tata sedan buyers could end up buying this.

I also really really really (three times a charm?) wish Tata ups their sales and marketing training. Their sales folks are a huge hit and miss and the misses are definitely more so than others, IMO.

Their service center is run-of-the-mill and that is again an area that they can improve but that maybe asking for too much in one go.

Fingers crossed! Good luck, TML.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:11   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Worth watching.
Superb ground clearance but the sound of that engine Looks like a tractor.

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2017 at 06:43. Reason: Quoted text trimmed - video removed
Old 18th September 2017, 13:26   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I haven't heard the Nexon's engine yet, but I heard the engine of a few Evoques near my work place. At least three of them sounded like tractors, while the rest sounded normal. I wonder if there is a connection.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:30   #2307
BHPian

I test drove the Nexon (Diesel) briefly yesterday at Aadya motors. It was raining heavily and couldn't push the car much. Here are my observations.

Engine: Felt a bit lethargic initially but then the SA pointed out I was in economy mode. I switched to Sports mode and felt quite a bit of a difference. There is a bit of turbo lag and its not linear in comparison with Mahindra's engines but its not bothersome. Good low end torque until the turbo kicks in and after that the surge is noticeable. I was able to come to a complete standstill and still lug the car in 2nd gear.

Gearbox: The gearbox is slick and slots well. Its no notchy like the one on Fiat/Maruti. Slotting the reverse gear needs some getting used to.

Steering: Steering is surprisingly light for a car that size, the SA told me its an EPS unit and weighs in better at higher speed, although i couldn't test it. In city traffic, its a boon. The steering wheel is the same as the ones on other new Tata cars and its smaller than a Celerio's.

Ride: This is where the Nexon scores. Given the incessant rains in Bangalore, most of the roads are broken and i could put the vehicle to test. It gobbled up most of the big potholes pretty well without any thuds or under body scraping.

NVH and Build: This is another forte of the Nexon. Tyre and Engine noise are very well controlled and i didn't see much of a difference compared to my XUV in terms of NVH. Top notch. Build quality is acceptable. Doors close with a reassuring thud and interior build quality is decent as well. A segment above Maruti Brezza i would say.

Space: As with other Tata cars, space is generous. Its best suited for 4 adults and the 5th one might find under thigh support to be inadequate in the rear seat. Having said that, the under thigh support is pretty good for the rest of the occupants. The front buckets seats offer very good back support and the rear seat is reclined at a comfortable angle.

Overall, Tata has done a phenomenal job with the Nexon as with some of their recent products. I just hope it sells well. If i were looking out in that segment, Nexon would be on the top of my list.
gurudutt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:37   #2308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sound could be because of the recording where the exact sound is not captured. From what has been shared, the NVH is very low inside the cabin while the diesel clatter is not high even outside the car. I would suggest to check it in person to get the best opinion.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:49   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Videos taken by mobile camera's are typically sensitive to specific frequencies which tend to get "Amplified" in the recorded videos e.g. When we take videos at home, the traffic noise in the videos is quite alarming, but in real life its not intrusive at all.

We may want to check out the NVH levels in person, to get an accurate picture.

My 2c.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 16:40   #2310
Senior - BHPian

Took a TD of Nexon D at Concorde mathura road. They aren't allowing TD before 21st but we knew someone there so got a brief one. Let me give my impressions-
Exterior-
It was a XZ+ model in blue color. Loved it. Front is appealing but the back is the show stealer. Alloys are the best OEM I have seen till now. Brezza doesn't hold a candle in front of nexon in looks and even ecosport may look dated. Anyone who says it's small should actually take a look in person. It's much much better than the pics.

Interior - if you really wanna know how much Tata has evolved since Manza days please go and sit in a Nexon. Truly premium feel. Good to touch plastics. Wonderful ICE ( touchscreen is quite clear in daylight and very intuitive to use). Only complain I have is lack of space for a 5th person in rear and front seats are more comfortable in Tiago.

Drive-
First of all NVH is amazing. For a second I was thinking is it diesel or petrol. No turbo lag but the pull wasn't too great till SA pointed out I am in economy mode. In city mode it's as good as my City D and in sports mode it's actually better. Personally I would drive in sports mode to enjoy the engine fully. All in all an excellent engine by Tata.

Verdict- I have a requirement for small second car that's why I went for a TD for tiago but my wife loved the nexon so now there is going to be a sweet dilemma. Let's see.

For anyone looking to buy, I will seriously urge only to get the top model. The interior feel good factor alone makes for the extra bucks.

Last edited by harry10 : 18th September 2017 at 16:42.
harry10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks