Team-BHP - The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/170197-tata-nexon-now-launched-rs-5-85-lakhs-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3979246)
One risk though - it's placed towards the co-driver side. Hope no-one accidentally pulls that, unknown to the driver - that can result in a disaster....

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 3979262)
His sanity. Even if he does, hopefully he knows what he is doing.

Well, this way, a co-passenger can grab the steering and twist & turn it as well, if we extrapolate your views. And we all know the chances are zero for this unless we have some nasty kid sitting in the front with a careless parent around, in which case, I don't mind them having a hard learning.

For the right hand oriented individuals, pulling this lever is close to impossible otherwise, with the design. A centrally placed handbrake will be easier to operate for a co-passenger in such a case. And I noticed this placement has been getting adopted more recently, and believe this is ergonomically better as this may fall in hand better for drivers (especially taller ones).

In fact, easy access to parking brake for co-passenger is a good thing. When I was teaching driving to my wife, I always had my hand on hand-brake, just in case she didn't apply brake in time. Actually it is a good safety feature where a co-passenger can apply brake if the driver is suddenly incapacitated for some reason. However, this cannot be done in cars with foot-operated parking brakes which reside in the footwell, where clutch pedal is, like in Camry AT and some Merc models. But then again, I'm sure such cars are in minority.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 3979400)
... it is a good safety feature where a co-passenger can apply brake if the driver is suddenly incapacitated for some reason.

No No No, that is not a very good idea. A driver may make very last minute adjustments and maneuvers to save the day, but engaging hand break suddenly without the driver knowing it may shock him and through him off balance, if you know what I mean. I understand it can be other way round and it all depends on the moment right? There are always two sides to a coin. But from my personal experience, one fine day on a sharp turn my friend decided to pull the hand break (maybe out of panic), the wheels locked up and the car skidded down the road. Thankfully no harm was done, but we are not friends any more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrongturn (Post 3979411)
No No No, that is not a very good idea. A driver may make very last minute adjustments and maneuvers to save the day, but engaging hand break suddenly without the driver knowing it may shock him and through him off balance, if you know what I mean. I understand it can be other way round and it all depends on the moment right? There are always two sides to a coin. But from my personal experience, one fine day on a sharp turn my friend decided to pull the hand break (maybe out of panic), the wheels locked up and the car skidded down the road. Thankfully no harm was done, but we are not friends any more.

I agree but in situations when driver is incapacitated and, say, collapsed on steering wheel; in such situations, isn't it easier to reach for the hand-brake than the pedal in the footwell? Now, I didn't suggest the co-passenger must pull it suddenly and all the way up , all at once. But then again, in some rare cases, that may be the only safe option available to them. Better end up shaken up nastily inside the car than end up dead.

I know of one incident when a child in the front seat actually pulled the steering wheel when driving on the highway. Suffice to say - things happen.

Handlever correctly placed or not, the Nexon looks like a big improvement in style, quality interiors and features from Tata motors.
Eagerly awaiting its launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 3979420)
I agree but in situations when driver is incapacitated and, say, collapsed on steering wheel; in such situations, isn't it easier to reach for the hand-brake than the pedal in the footwell?

In the given situation it would definitely be the last resort for anyone, I agree. Like I said it depends upon the moment or situation. If the other passangers are well informed, smart and keep their calm in the moment they can certainly do things to save their and other lives. It's better to do something than sit and look at things unfold. Like if I was in the place of co-passenger, I would know how & when to pull the handbrake and I have done it at times. Like at times while teaching driving to my mother, cousins & friends. Also at the moments when car would start rolling and driver isn't aware of it. But I knew what I was doing and was in control of the situation. In majority of incidents, pulling handbrake by other passangers won't lead to good outcome if the driver was in the middle of doing something else.

Tata has come a long way particularly the interiors. All their recent launches - Zest/Bolt/Tiago has excellent interiors.
What they have to improve upon most importantly is their image..Sadly, that won't change overnight. It is a long process spanning years. But, they need to make a start by providing absolutely trouble free cars and great A.S.S experience. Word of mouth will take care of the rest!
I think the Nexon is looking to be an excellent product in the segment but I am not happy with the styling. The basic shape/side profile still has too much resemblance to the family ..Yesterday, there was a Bolt parked outside my house and from the side, it looked very similar to the Nexon. Our country loves SUVs and willing to pay a premium for it but you got to get the look right. Look at the Brezza, it has the classic boxy SUV look which people are loving. Nexon has missed this important trick! Plus, the ceramic and all looks too funky to me. Not sure whether the common people will love it or not.

It might be another case of a Tata car being praised very highly in Team BHP but the sales tell a different story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adimicra (Post 3979516)
TOur country loves SUVs and willing to pay a premium for it but you got to get the look right. Look at the Brezza, it has the classic boxy SUV look which people are loving. Nexon has missed this important trick! Plus, the ceramic and all looks too funky to me. Not sure whether the common people will love it or not.

I quite like the rounded shape of the Nexon. Doesn't try too hard to look like an SUV yet it conveys its purpose elegantly. I am a huge fan of the looks of this vehicle and I have never been one to quickly jump on the Zest/Bolt praising bandwagon. This is a truly well designed car inside-out. Definitely looks like a lot of thought and many hours have gone into the design of this vehicle and I wouldn't be too hasty in putting it down.

Looking forward to this launch. First the Tiago and now this, Tata is definitely wooing me and I may want to eventually find out what it is like to own a Tata. Will have to wait till the launch of the Nexon to find out. Automatic SUV that looks smashing, has pleasing interiors, and that will come with traditional Tata undulation-flattening ride quality (I hope), seems like the perfect car for my Mom or Dad to handle as they slowly begin to find driving low slung petrol manuals a pain especially in traffic.

PS: I assume you being a Jazz owner, would be all too familiar with funky designs no :D

Best of luck to Tata. It looks like the Nexon is shaping up to be a good car. They seem to be spot on with the interiors and hopefully ergonomics too. Lets just hope the mechanicals also deliver

This is one product that seems worth waiting for - and with the Tiago TATA has shown they *can* price it right :p I only hope they launch it this year and make good use of the excitement in the market around it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenx (Post 3980636)
This is one product that seems worth waiting for - and with the Tiago TATA has shown they *can* price it right :p I only hope they launch it this year and make good use of the excitement in the market around it.

I'd rather they tested the product more extensively. Quality issues were still persistent amongst cars like the Aria and Zest/Bolt in their initial batches and that is the biggest factor that Tata needs to work against. They have got the styling, features and pricing right but that is not enough to change market perception of the brand. So I hope they take their time with this one to sort out everything that could possibly go wrong :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj (Post 3979204)
I hope the Jaisalmer testing yields positive results.
Somewhere I feel that while TATA ACs have started improving since the Nano Twist - progressively - right upto Tiago - they still have a little catching up to do with Maruti and Hyundai (where the blower noise is lesser and it chills about 15% quicker)

Blower noise is on higher side in Zest but it cools a lot quicker than that of Dzire. Also, the higher blower noise is noticed only at high blower speed.

AC in first gen i20 wasn't that great and was apparently rectified.

Even if hand brake lever is placed in the middle, co driver can easily engage it. So there is no point in having a discussion whether it is a safety feature or safety hazard.

What should be of concern is whether it is ergonomically good thing as access to it should be the only concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj (Post 3979274)
I think we should be happy that they are being tested thoroughly before launch and no half-baked products coming through.

+1

We all can see the issues TUV 100 AMT owners are going through now!

So, it's better it gets tested thoroughly and arrives fit and fine.