Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 22:49   #976
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

I wish Tata all the best with the sales of Nexon, the main thing needed is a killer price, all other ingredients are there. They did have a lot covered for the Hexa, but its still not running off the shelf. I hope the Nexon will be another Tiago for them.
Old 18th July 2017, 23:31   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Keyless entry and adjustable rear headrests confirmed, as spotted by an IAB reader.

Quote:
The presence of these features and alloy wheels indicate this could be the top of the line XZ trim.
This particular example wears camouflage but does little to hide certain features and the overall profile of the car. It is finished in Pearlescent White as evident from the door handles. The alloy wheels seem identical to the display car at the 2016 Auto Expo.
In a first for any car in the world, the Nexon will feature ceramic finish around the fog lamps, rear windshield, and the waist trail.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonwhitespyshotskeylessentryadjustableheadrests.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 23:48   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Safe to assume a 6 - 7.5L ex showroom price for the petrol and 7 - 8.5L pricing for the diesel?

Assuming only manual variants and the top version will have dual airbags only and no sunroof.
I would say that is overly optimistic. Cmon the Brezza top end manual ZDi, is 9.68 ex showroom and there abouts, and you expect nexon to be more than a lakh cheaper? I don’t think that kind of pricing would be possible. 30-40k less is what we should be expecting I think, realistically.
akhil994 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 23:57   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Safe to assume a 6 - 7.5L ex showroom price for the petrol and 7 - 8.5L pricing for the diesel?

Assuming only manual variants and the top version will have dual airbags only and no sunroof.

6.5 to 8.5L for the petrol. 7.5 to 9.5L for the diesel. I saw one last week in nice road toll Bangalore in the night and it looked so classy with a red colored clock on the infotainment system. The stance, the look and feel combined with 17 inch alloys and better engines the top end should be 9.5 to 10L.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 00:59   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Sorry to be a bit pragmatic, but the last turbo petrol from TATA, the 1.2 T Revotron has all the right specs on paper, but is just about an above average engine at the best. Just like all turbo petrols, it is very sensitive to driving styles and will return bad FE if not driven with care. It sure has amazing driveability though. And we all know how much the Bolt/Zest sold. Just wanted to say that yes the specs look good, but they hardly tell even half the story.
Hyundai's mass market offerings aren't known for their FE either, inspite of their extremely light build. I have owned the previous generation i10 MT that royally failed the Global NCAP, and its FE figures were pretty sad for such a lightly built small car (10-14 kmpl in city 16-17.x kmpl highway). However the i10 and bigger cousin i20 have consistently been in the top-20 month on month for a while now. This is for a engine that is commuter in nature.

So I don't understand why Tata's FE should be such a big concern. Honestly, Tata shouldn't be changing their core values at this point, where they are slowly trying to find their foot in the PV sales.
narayans80 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 07:46   #981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
And you expect nexon to be more than a lakh cheaper?

30-40k less is what we should be expecting I think, realistically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
6.5 to 8.5L for the petrol. 7.5 to 9.5L for the diesel.
Yes. A lakh cheaper is my expectation (At least with on-road prices) for it to be a volume seller.

Brezza is so strong, even the well established Ecosport is no match for it in sales. Even WRV hasn't made a mark. In comparison, the masses will see Nexon as -

1. A TATA.
2. Crossover'ish polarizing looks.
3. New engines on a TATA always raises reliability eyebrows, no matter how good the specs are on paper.

Moreover, there is no royalty on engines to be paid to FIAT this time around and they should try to be as aggressive in pricing as they can. Even the much bigger Mahindra TUV 3OO is priced between 7.5L and 9.3L ex showroom. So it should be possible to undercut Brezza by a lakh compromising on margins.

At 30k - 40k less, they can as well forget it within a year or two! Only enthusiast votes can be gathered, not long term sales.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th July 2017 at 07:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 07:50   #982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, there is no royalty on engines to be paid to FIAT this time around and they should try to be as aggressive in pricing as they can.
It is a new engine, and Development costs still need to be recovered.
condor is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 09:23   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. A lakh cheaper is my expectation (At least with on-road prices) for it to be a volume seller.
In comparison, the masses will see Nexon as -

1. A TATA.
3. New engines on a TATA always raises reliability eyebrows, no matter how good the specs are on paper.

Moreover, there is no royalty on engines to be paid to FIAT this time around and they should try to be as aggressive in pricing as they can. Even the much bigger Mahindra TUV 3OO is priced between 7.5L and 9.3L ex showroom. So it should be possible to undercut Brezza by a lakh compromising on margins.
Yes agreed it is a Tata, but please look at the way the company is able to stop loosing its position in the market. The work done by Karl Slym cannot be overlooked.

The quality of their products and after sales has improved in last couple of years. The company has started taking big bets on new launches, it is also not afraid of pulling out plug from old products. Decision on Nano is next in the queue, we can expect something before the next AGM.

The engines on offer are fairly well tested, even quality issues are getting addressed to ensure that the product is able to retain confidence in the minds of end user. You may be aware that even gearbox is different in these cars to handle additional torque produced by the engines and not to forget multiple driving modes and most certainly the after market remaps !

Pricing would be aggressive (and that is known), it would be reasonable to justify the development cost of the car, it cannot be mouthwatering. It will be a value for money, fun to drive, specious product (which can hold 5 passengers in comfort). Tata's have also started working on this new philosophy on development of critical components through JV with vendors in which every partner is jointly and severally responsible for the market response and warranties.

I have just plain respect for their efforts in a time when one is witnessing companies with muscle power and multi country businesses leaving India.

All the best Tata !

Last edited by i74js : 19th July 2017 at 09:45.
i74js is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 09:23   #984
BHPian

It's futile for TATA to target Brezza kind of volumes for Nexon as the distribution network of Maruti is unsurpassable. With around 2000 dealership its more than three times TATA's network. To simplify selling 5 units for a particular model per dealership will yield 10000 per month for Maruti, whereas for TATA it would be around the 3500 mark.

Last edited by damodar : 19th July 2017 at 09:35.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:16   #985
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
It's futile for TATA to target Brezza kind of volumes for Nexon as the distribution network of Maruti is unsurpassable. With around 2000 dealership its more than three times TATA's network. To simplify selling 5 units for a particular model per dealership will yield 10000 per month for Maruti, whereas for TATA it would be around the 3500 mark.
Doesn't operate that way - dealers in metros and big cities sell more cars as compared to small towns/ rural - especially the more expensive vehicles. Thus while on paper, it seems 1:3 ratio for dealerships, market coverage wouldn't be that skewed. Of course it is another matter that Tata dealers are lethargic and show little initiative to convert a prospect who has walked through their door into a customer.
srh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 10:48   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Even the much bigger Mahindra TUV 3OO is priced between 7.5L and 9.3L ex showroom. So it should be possible to undercut Brezza by a lakh compromising on margins.

At 30k - 40k less, they can as well forget it within a year or two! Only enthusiast votes can be gathered, not long term sales.
Believe me I will be very happy if what you say were true,since I am eyeing for my next car as well, but I am being realistic. For what the car has to offer, I think that would be a fair price.

Also I think you are mistaken here. The Mahindra TUV 3OO is sub 4 metre, so technically it is not much bigger as you say. The boxy shape gives that impression, but it is essentially a compact SUV and its prices are also in line with what I said, undercutting the Brezza by 30-40k.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:25   #987
BHPian

Guys,

With the reluctance of Ford to give any indications about Ecosport launch, I'm seriously gravitating towards Nexon.

Cabin tech is really important for me, and I was wondering if anybody here has more info on the Harman ICE system?

Does it support both CarPlay and Android Auto? any other specs/features that you guys would know? Thank you.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:52   #988
BHPian

Quote:
1. A TATA.
1) A friend sitting next to me said the same thing when we saw it in person in nice road toll gate. Everything is looking great except for the fact that it is from TATA
2) Yes it is polarizing indeed but not as bad as S-Cross but like Ecosport (When it first launched it had polarizing looks for our market)
3) I haven't read any complaints regarding the reliability about TATA new engines in Tiago or in Tigor so far. So with 6-speed gear box and a bigger turbo it has to cost them higher that Fiat 1.3, dont you feel so?

Though TUV (I still love the way it looks) looks bigger it is still in the same segment as Breeza/Ecosport/Nexon. With it lacking features like Infotainment system, ACC and OKish interiors compared to Nexon and still costing 9.3L, I personally feel TATA might price Nexon at 9.5L.
If that is not the case why would they want to add better Infotainment system than Tigor or have 17inch alloy wheels? They could have skipped on these things and priced it lower. Only cost cutting I felt is not having leather upholstery.

I dont know but does Nexon come with Cruise Control?

Regarding Volumes, if TATA is happy with Tiago selling 5K then they would be happy with 3-4K for Nexon.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 12:31   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is it fair to expect Tata to sell a just-developed, feature-loaded, smashing looking mini-SUV at a price less than Hyundai sells its long-developed hatchback at? Doesn't it appear like a veiled dislike for Tata? Would just like to know your opinion on Creta prices, since the pricing issue came up and it's not much bigger than Nexon.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 12:49   #990
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I understand that we all love the brand. The question is not about "Is the Nexon worth it for the price? But what price would ensure the market buys it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is a new engine, and Development costs still need to be recovered.
Which needs to be recovered over time. The last thing they want is to start off with a big price and lose sales initially itself. Indian market is hard to recover from, and a good starting price is absolutely essential to get the numbers. Tiago shows that this approach works, and it has been their only real success in the recent past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Yes agreed it is a Tata, but please look at the way the company is able to stop loosing its position in the market.

I have just plain respect for their efforts in a time when one is witnessing companies with muscle power and multi country businesses leaving India.
None of these would result in sales. Work done by Karl Slim cannot be overlooked and I absolutely agree. All the products that came out of HorizonNext program were excellent in terms of quality and reliability, unlike the TATA cars of earlier days.

But the pricing decided their fates.
1. Zest had a good price, got an average start.
2. Bolt did not and flopped right off launch.
3. Hexa didn't and already loosing steam. Price corrected with GST.
4. Tiago had brilliant pricing. Prices increased steadily over time, but is still going good.
5. Tigor not so. Haven't gained traction, though too early to say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
For what the car has to offer, I think that would be a fair price.
And the price the market expects is a lot less than what we BHP'ians expect - when it comes to failing brands in the market (Excluding Maruti, Honda, Hyundai and Toyota).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Regarding Volumes, if TATA is happy with Tiago selling 5K then they would be happy with 3-4K for Nexon.
These are the volumes Ecosport sells inspite of being a much better and more established product than Brezza. To achieve these volumes, they really have to undercut the pricing of both Brezza and Ecosport. No other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Is it fair to expect Tata to sell a just-developed, feature-loaded, smashing looking mini-SUV at a price less than Hyundai sells its long-developed hatchback at? Doesn't it appear like a veiled dislike for Tata?
A digital forum identity in itself is a veil. Why do we require another one?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th July 2017 at 13:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks