Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 18:00   #1081
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Waiting eagerly for the launch, just like everyone else in TBHP. Tata seems to have a winner in the making. Obviously, there are much more significant areas worth complimenting Tata Motors, but the first thing that I would like to check in Nexon is the engine refinement and NVH levels of the 3cyl Revetron engine. Aam Indian junta wants a petrol engine that is low on vibrations and NVH. A noisy petrol engine will be difficult to sell, especially when compared to the present competition. Price is obviously a critical factor, which is always the case with any product. I am confident that Tata must have taken care of Ride, Handling, Mileage, Power, Torque, Features...We have seen that in their recent launches. What I am eagerly waiting for is the TBHP review or a test drive to clearly judge the refinement levels.

Last edited by keeprevving : 21st July 2017 at 18:09.
Old 21st July 2017, 18:23   #1082
BHPian

One interesting thing is, the geneva edition also has 215 60 R 16 tyres. So possibly that could be the tyre size of the top trim and the geneva edition wears a pirelli tyres of the mentioned size and zooming in to the red color Nexon on the official add of geneva edition shows that it has a rear disk brake. The blue one show in 2016 expo as well as the blue one released by autocar initially have a rear drum brake. From the pictures of interior, I safely assume that Nexon will not have cruise control.
Old 21st July 2017, 19:36   #1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
It is indeed a "snob value" thing - I have met umpteen number of folks who appreciate Hexa, its styling, interiors, quality and then silently buy Creta, XUV or Innova just because of the word "T" and a passing comment that it gives poor resale value.
I couldn't agree more. I really like the tiago and the tigor is an excellent VFM compact sedan. The only thing I didn't like about them is that the engines could have been more refined. I'm honestly excited to find out more about the engine options on the Nexon!

But I think the perception about Tata is changing. People are realizing that their build quality has improved substantially and they're more bang for the buck than any other offering in their respective segments.

This is all because Tata is making a very obvious effort to change their perception in the market and I believe it's working... I think in a year or two we're gonna see a lot more Tatas running around the streets. And if they look like the Nexon and the tiago n the tigor, I think it's not a bad thing to look forward to.
Nahushrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 19:59   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I have met umpteen number of folks who appreciate Hexa, its styling, interiors, quality and then silently buy Creta, XUV or Innova just because of the word "T" and a passing comment that it gives poor resale value.
I'm one of those you mention. I didn't even consider Tata in my search for a car when Tiago and Tigor had received mostly positive reviews. But I didn't consider a Maruti as well, as I'm not really a fan of their waiting period for their popular cars(except for S-Cross on which I had an eye on).

The reason I didn't consider Tata was that my friends and family would never agree going with Tata. There are few pre-conceived notions which are hard to change in people's minds in a short time. Tata has to just keep pushing and there definitely would be a turning point if they keep doing good work.
Old 21st July 2017, 23:06   #1085
Senior - BHPian

TATA Nexon - First user impressions

Motoroids reader Aditya Joshi recently had the opportunity to drive a test-mule of the diesel powered Nexon for a while and he has shared a few crucial updates with us which are mentioned below:

The Nexon driven was a 1.5-litre diesel powered model which had three drive modes Sport, City and Eco.

The driver of the test-mule said that the compact SUV returned a fuel economy of 17-19 kmpl in sport mode, 21-22 kmpl in city mode and 24-25 kmpl in eco mode.

The Nexon could attain speeds of upto 160 kmph without a fuss when it was being tested on the Pune-Solapur Highway. The engine bay was well insulated and the engine noise barely entered the cabin. The instrument cluster had a gear indicator and the MID displayed an odometer reading of 45,000 kms.

The engine of the Nexon is very responsive post the 2000 rpm mark and does not lag below 2000 rpm either. The gearshift was very smooth and the brakes had a good response.

The Nexon had an all black dashboard with an independent touchscreen display. The instrument cluster is the same 3 dial unit like the Tigor.

Compared to the Tiago, the seats of the Nexon were more comfortable. The driver seat had lumbar support and was separated from the front passenger seat by an arm rest. The arm rest had small storage space inside.

The steering wheel of the compact SUV was same as that of the Tigor and even had cruise control buttons on the right side while the left side controls were for the media system.

The Nexon also had a remote key, alloy wheels, automatic wipers and automatic headlights.

The driver of the test-mule said that the top-end variant of the Nexon compact SUV will be lower than that of the Brezza, about 10.5-11 lakh (on-road).

Source: Motoroids

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st July 2017 at 23:08.
Latheesh is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 23:27   #1086
BHPian

I think the first impressions of an excited enthusiast who's getting to drive an unreleased vehicle before anyone else should be taken with huge helpings of salt on the side. It all sounds great, but I noticed there were no impressions of the quality of interiors. I don't think leather seats will even be an option at this price.

Last edited by aryayush : 21st July 2017 at 23:29.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 23:43   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
The steering wheel of the compact SUV was same as that of the Tigor and even had cruise control buttons on the right side while the left side controls were for the media system.
This is something surprising since this has not been visible in any test mules, at the Auto Expo or even the Geneva Edition, hence this leads me question the source and the information conveyed.

Apart from that quite satisfied with the other points and pleasantly surprised by the mileage part
Old 21st July 2017, 23:46   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
TATA Nexon - First user impressions

Motoroids reader Aditya Joshi recently had the opportunity to drive a test-mule of the diesel powered Nexon for a while and he has shared a few crucial updates with us

This post answers a few things which were doubtful:

1) Comes with cruise control
2) Has Automatic Wipers and Headlamps

Looks like Tata has not left anything out here, coming with blazing guns.
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:50   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Nexon looks good in pics, specifications great on paper, price competitive on speculation.

However, I have reservations on rear ceramic strip, which I personally feel is too gaudy. But as I do not have any idea how it looks in flesh, judgement is reserved.As a matter of fact, judgement is reserved till I test drive it.

Even as I am not in market for a new car right now, if Nexon satisfies my requirements, I might think about going for it in about 6 months.

Last edited by simplyself : 22nd July 2017 at 07:53.
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:50   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Looks like Tata has not left anything out here, coming with blazing guns.
Not to worry. We will have people still complain about the absence of a sunroof or leather seats or wheels being too big, no AWD, no dish TV, no kitchen, I love it but my wife doesn't like Tata, Papa kehte hain and much more.

Just kidding. (Narayan's post is still keeping me laughing).
discoverwild is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:56   #1091
BHPian

What's with all this insecurity, really? Throughout the last few pages of this thread, I've been reading all these unnecessarily accusatory and defensive posts about how the world is unfair to Tata and what not. Relax, it's not your company. If I'm in the market for a car and I'm hoping for an automatic transmission in it or leather seats or seven airbags and it does not come with them, this is the place to discuss that. Why be so angsty about it?
aryayush is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:50   #1092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
The Tyre size of Nexon in 2016 auto expo is 215 60 R 16 Appolo ALNAC 4G but the official website does not have this size listed for India. Not sure of other countries though. It has only 205 60 R 16 with the speed rating of H and V. Just curious to know the tyre size so that I can finish my Tyre upsize planning before hand itself.
205 60 R16 is a good enough for a car of this size and power rating IMO. May be you can plan for better rubber instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
1) Comes with cruise control

That's brilliant because the mid variant Hexa doesn't come with it. A solid advantage for the Nexon.
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:11   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
What's with all this insecurity, really? Throughout the last few pages of this thread, I've been reading all these unnecessarily accusatory and defensive posts about how the world is unfair to Tata and what not. Relax, it's not your company. If I'm in the market for a car and I'm hoping for an automatic transmission in it or leather seats or seven airbags and it does not come with them, this is the place to discuss that. Why be so angsty about it?
This goes back a few years. I guess you new to the forum. We call it Tata-bashing. Well known concept among the regulars. Enjoy the moments. At least now we have more people join and comment in favour of the company or the product.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 09:50   #1094
BHPian

Nexon has a lot of positives going for it already:
1. Great looking compact SUV - Surely a head turner as it is much different to anything on road today
2. Both petrol and diesel engines have great specs
3. First compact SUV with multi mode drive
4. 6 speed manual gearbox is a great addition
5. Touchscreen setup similar to what is seen in expensive cars
6. Seems to be loaded with features - Cruise control, projector headlamps, DRLs, auto wiper, auto headlamps, Keyless entry, Shark fin antenna, Rear Ac vents, Push start/stop, etc.
7. Tyres looks proportionate and is not skinny
8. Goes without saying that ICE and music system will be best in class

What's heartening to see is that with every new launch they are exceeding the expectations. Since launch of Zest in almost every review we get to hear that this is the best car Tata has launched. We saw this for Zest, then Tiago, then Tigor, then Hexa and now it will be for Nexon

So kudos to Tata

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-1.jpg

In the meanwhile Tata is gearing up for a contest #ExploreWithNexon which will allow consumers to try and win a chance to drive Nexon in their City. Similar to what Ford did with Ecosport

Name:  Nexon.png
Views: 4140
Size:  284.5 KB

Last edited by damager21 : 22nd July 2017 at 09:53.
damager21 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:01   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
However, I have reservations on rear ceramic strip, which I personally feel is too gaudy. But as I do not have any idea how it looks in flesh, judgement is reserved.As a matter of fact, judgement is reserved till I test drive it.
Happened to be right next to one in traffic and I think the ceramic actually looks good and is a nice stand-out. Didn't look gaudy, prefer this to chrome.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks