Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2017, 10:48   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

I absolutely love the way the car stance looks from front 3/4 Quarter. And yes, I think wrt the competition, Brezza is one of the ugliest car from the Maruti Stable with looks probably better than only the Estilo. I think if the dealers and after-sales behave, TML have a potential segment topper. I think this car can easily do >3000 per month.

One word for the launch for Tata (if they are listening), please launch the car with a very attractive exchange scheme, because the target segment will comprise of middle class people with limited parking space with a B-Segment car in garage currently.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 11:02   #1067
BHPian

I like both red and blue. Having said that, I am yet to see a Nexon in some of the most popular colors in India, aka white, silver etc. Do they also some in dual tone?
Old 21st July 2017, 11:06   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I like both red and blue. Having said that, I am yet to see a Nexon in some of the most popular colors in India, aka white, silver etc. Do they also some in dual tone?
It has been spied in white colour as well. Here you go.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 11:11   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Not an exact answer to your query, but had earlier shared a photoshop render earlier.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 11:58   #1070
BHPian

TATA has remained the underdog of the Automobile Industry but we should not write it off still.
It has given us some of 'One of the First" in the Industry.

First SUV
First Diesel Hatchback with jaw dropping prices.
First Micro Car under one lac

The Car still not launched or showcased and we have started!!

IMHO, TATA has been doing great after shedding the TAXI image, the TIAGO is giving KWID and others a run for their money again by offering great prices.
Also, its not easy for a manufacturer to stay so popular with the TAXI market which has not of the most cruel , rugged and extensive use. TATA cars stand that abuse which says a lot about their built quality. They may be not that great with their plastic quality or the cosmetic part but the cars are strongly built.
I have used an Indica for 10 Years, it was a V2 DLS , great car with superb strength, not a single break down.The only thing bad was TAXI image and poor maintenance.
3000 Service stations versus 300 should not matter.
Many of the Maruti service centres are namesake, road side mechanics do better than them.
TATA has done a genuine effort with the new cars and my heart goes all out for them.
Let's wish Nexon a success and thank TML to showing us the Sierra, Estate, Safari ,Sumo and Indica when other manufacturers where selling us the same soap case since 20 years or so.
kcj3b is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 12:09   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Amidst all the talk, here are other reasons why Tata can never match Maruti in sales.

1. 350 showrooms Vs 2000 showrooms. Honestly, no competition here at all. 10 cars per showroom per month and the difference is as big as the tallest peak of the Nilgiris Vs the Himalayas. Simply, no contest.

2. Maruti always had the upper hand with it being babied by the Central Government and getting an almost 15 year lead over other manufacturers. Tech help and collaboration with one of the biggest companies in the world, Suzuki, helped matters to tip in their favour. Tata, growing in-house, was always at a disadvantage.
Very well said, point 1 and 2 are the ones which most of the bloggers tend to ignore.

Further, lower number of showrooms is actually a vicious circle.

Lower number of dealers >> Existing dealer infrastructure comes under strain >> Lower sales/after sales experience >> Lower sales >> Lower number of dealers

Only way out is to bring new products, improve existing facilities/services, and increase the throughput/dealer, so that there is space for new dealers to profitably survive. Obviously, this cannot be done overnight will take time.
enzo10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 12:15   #1072
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

The fact of the matter is that the Indian car buying public ( no matter how much we keep saying that customer is intelligent and makes the best choice in the market ) is largely a herd that follows what the neighbor does.

No point in just "defending" the "desi manufacturer" "who always tries so hard" and "comes up class leading products" in internet forums and then when its decision time, "I bought a Maruti because my Dad doesn't like Tata cars" or "my wife felt Hyundai is a safer bet" or "my friend advised that Tata resale value is poor".
Fantastic. Right said. Herd mentality and herd mentality alone guides Indian market. I have seen this at work here. When Skoda Octavia was launched in India, one successful senior builder in my town bought one and all his peers just had to own one, too. The wannabe or upcoming builders just had to have one, too, to show that they arrived. Ditto with Scorpio around 2002/03 when it was launched. A senior politician bought one and the whole lot followed suit. A senior doctor bought a Honda City and all other doctors just had to have one, too. Coming down to hatchbacks, the whole lot heads to Maruti showroom and only the adventurous veer off to other brands.

And you are very right about people backing their words up with their deeds. No point just paying lip service. Yes, there are some who advice others to buy one car but when it comes to self, they go buy the other car. And, you forgot to say this "Tata being truck maker" or "Tata being a taxi" thing. Never mind the fact that Volvo, Mercedes are also truck makers or Innova also is mostly taxi. No issue there.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:23   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Are there any pictures of single-tone non-white Nexon? IMHO, there is just too much of silver accent. A slight mod of blackening out/body colour-ing all the silver/chrome accents should make the car more aesthetic, although it might make the car look like a beefed up Bolt/Vista.

My guess is that Tata would price the Nexon on-par/or a tad more with the competition. Why? Their sales target of 3500/month, which would ebb to 2XXX(purely, no facts and only a guesstimate) after the first 6 months, points that they are more interested in profit/car than volume games. Fair enough as profits are a must in order to sustain in a business. IMHO this is a realistic approach, they are not too greedy/ambitious about dethroning the segment topper. However, I would love to be proved wrong about the sales figures.

Quote:
then when its decision time, "I bought a Maruti because my Dad doesn't like Tata cars" or "my wife felt Hyundai is a safer bet"
Sir, this made my day.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:23   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And if you get all that for a comparatively cheaper sticker price than the others in it's segment, would you go for it?
The diesel engine and the forecasted pricing looks mouth watering. If this were true, you get a fully loaded Nexon at the price of a Ecosport Trend/S-Cross Delta.

Am interested to know about the safety equipment on the top trim. Dual airbags, ABS and ISOFIX came standard in the above.

Am a prospective buyer in this budget, without any baggage from me or my family about Tata

I was skeptical only on 2 things: The launch date (which was totally unclear till about a month back) and delivery timelines. I have no patience to wait anything over 30-45 days from booking.

Quote:
I found VST Motors also to be very prompt when I was looking for the Storme.
The VST Motors on Mount Road? Did you also service your Storme/Bolt with them? Curious to know your experience.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:37   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The VST Motors on Mount Road? Did you also service your Storme/Bolt with them? Curious to know your experience.
No.Like I said, they were prompt during the sales process and even offered a slightly better discount but eventually I went with Tafe because they were the first I started conversations with and the sales guy there was also very proactive.
I don't know where VST is now located because last year, the location where VST Tata dealership was located, got converted into a Merc showroom of the same group.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 13:55   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know where VST is now located because last year, the location where VST Tata dealership was located, got converted into a Merc showroom of the same group.
Thank you. I just checked Tata's dealer locator. VST i no longer there in Tata's showroom list in Madras.

Its either Concorde or Tafe. I suppose you dealt with the Tafe in Pallikaranai?
Old 21st July 2017, 16:06   #1077
BHPian

Kudos to Tata for going all the way and plonking 110ps turbo petrol and Revotorq diesel engines which have class leading power and torque figures [ barring the ecoboost petrol] in the sub 4m compact SUV segment and not just that a first in class 6 speed gearbox on both variants. so in terms of engine and transmission Tata have gone the whole hog and going by the extensive testing they have undertaken on different terrains they have made sure that they have tested the engines and transmissions thoroughly before launch.

An Indian manufacturer coming up with a game changing product in the compact SUV segment needs to be applauded by one and all because the amount of time, resources and investment in to this project is enormous. We need more competition cos that is when manufacturers will listen to the customer's feedback.

Yes hard to comment about the vehicle's credentials without a Team-BHP review but the spec sheet looks delicious in terms of dimensions and features revealed by various online scoops. I think the fact that it looks totally different from the existing products in the segment and has an imposing stance will work in it's favor.

A lot is riding on the success of Nexon for Tata. I just hope Tata have sorted out the sales, distribution and after sales and service sorted out because that has been an issues with Tata. I know they have improved recently but they need to raise their game as far as customer satisfaction is concerned.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 17:10   #1078
BHPian

While TATA is bashed upon left right and centre by most of the arm chair activists. I happen to see a well maintained TATA Sierra today while driving to office and could not help but appreciate TATA for bringing in a class of vehicle way ahead of time and probably even before some of the designers of modern day cars were conceived . This includes pick up trucks, estate wagon etc.
While the cars were miles away from refinement, what would have really done wonders for TATA would have been to keep those brands alive and keep bringing in new generation models but they sadly focused only on Indica for decades and that gap in between which didn't yield any new revolutionary product is costing them even now.
I personally feel TATA should create a new Luxury Brand and sell some products through that channel for that "Snob Value".
It is indeed a "snob value" thing - I have met umpteen number of folks who appreciate Hexa, its styling, interiors, quality and then silently buy Creta, XUV or Innova just because of the word "T" and a passing comment that it gives poor resale value.
I had been one of those guys who did not even bother going to TATA showroom up until Tiago & now Hexa. Nexon is another world class product from TATA and it makes sense to visit the show room and think about it keeping snob value aside.
As far as financials are considered - If you invest the money saved in buying TATA Nexon as compared to Ford or Hyundai equivalent cars. ROI at end of 5 years would be higher with TATA when you sell Nexon
Cooltronics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 17:25   #1079
BHPian

The Tyre size of Nexon in 2016 auto expo is 215 60 R 16 Appolo ALNAC 4G but the official website does not have this size listed for India. Not sure of other countries though. It has only 205 60 R 16 with the speed rating of H and V. Just curious to know the tyre size so that I can finish my Tyre upsize planning before hand itself.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1500638154947.jpg  

Old 21st July 2017, 17:33   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I have met umpteen number of folks who appreciate Hexa, its styling, interiors, quality and then silently buy Creta, XUV or Innova just because of the word "T" and a passing comment that it gives poor resale value.
I totally agree with you, I know people who just said "No" to check out the car cause it was from Tata. Before even trying or testing the product they know it will be bad or will give them a bad image for owning one.

When most of the manufacturers are jacking up prices, using thin sheet metals, puny tires and aiming for highest fuel efficiency we have Tata which is not following these methods and trying to give consumers a product which is something different. Happy to see Tata being one who has cars which ride and handle better and are relatively cheaper to buy and maintain.

All eyes on Nexon now
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks