Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:09   #1786
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
After going through all the info available about Nexon, it really seems to be the product to buy in that segment if priced sensibly which in my opinion should be 20% below Ecosport pricing at the introduction which can later climb upto 10 % below Ecosport after it gets stabilized in the market. Otherwise, i dont see why people would trust (no matter how good it seems from the reviews) the Tata product over the Ford, Maruti as Ecosport is a good proven product in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Now that's too much. 20% below Ecosport? Now some would say that TATA should give Nexon away for free but even then there won't be many takers as people think that TATA does black magic on their cars.

When it comes to the product we expect TATA should provide a car that excels in all the attributes from all the cars in it's segment and a segment above as well that too at a price which is 20% less than the competition.

If such are the are unjust expectations of the unhinged market then TATA may as well stop selling cars in India and focus on other markets.
Please read my post carefully. I am suggesting 20% below Ecosport facelift only as an introductory offer, maybe for first six months. Firstly Tata should get 20,000 Nexons on the road quickly in six months and then increase the price within 10% of the Ecosport. If the initial momentum is not generated, the product will not pick up sales later on because of herd mentality of our buyers.

Why so?
Because, I believe new age tata products and especially Nexon are a good product (the Ecosport facelift is also equally good on overall score) but the mass market believes in:

1. Brand perception: Tata is nowhere near Ford when it comes to brand perception for quality and reliability. If Tata is priced within 10% of the competitors, people will pay 10% premium and buy more reliable brand as it will also hold the resale value good in the long run.

2. New product: Nexon is new in the market and that too from an unreliable (in the past) brand hence has not proven the test of time yet which Ecosport facelift doesnt have to. It's already an established product.

To give you an analogy, i am a person who has burned 13L on Tata Safari in 2010, so i know what they were in the past. But, even with that bad decision i am ready to buy hexa now at Rs 19-20 L over Crysta at 25-26 L only because i know hexa is a good product and it is 20 % below the competition. The same argument is valid for Nexon also.

So, if they want Ecosport like sales numbers for Nexon, they have to be down by 15-20% at the Introduction and 10% later on at least for few years from now till the time brand Tata Motors is associated with the words Quality and Reliability in the future.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 2nd August 2017 at 16:12.
46TheDoctor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:12   #1787
BHPian

So Nexon should offer features from Brezza (missing in ecosport, like cruise control) as well as Ecosport (missing in brezza, like 6 air-bags) and then sell it at price lesser (as someone said: at least 1 lakh cheaper) than both!

Tata should do better to rename their brand to something like a Tundai or Tuzuki to sell anything at a profit in their home country.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:41   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Last month sales figure
Ford = 8418
Tata = 14933
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:47   #1789
BHPian

With no offence to anybody, people need to realize that those who are suggesting a discounted price at the start are doing so because even they want to see Tata succeed in the market. Fact that not many people think highly about Tata's products is its own doing! Customers cannot be blamed if their trust has been broken several times over a long period.

It is easy to create positive opinion if the existing perception is at the least neutral. But in Tata's case it is carrying a massive baggage of poor product and service quality. Hence it has no option but to do that extra bit of work to woo customers back in to their fold.

Before anybody starts demanding my head, please be informed that I am a Tata convert after driving the Bolt and Hexa
octane_100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:52   #1790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Last month sales figure
Ford = 8418
Tata = 14933
TATA has 11 cars including Venture which is not being sold now. FORD has 5 cars including Mustang. So ideally 4.

If at all a comparison is done, we should ideally do it for all 4 FORD vehicles against their direct segment rivals in TATA list. So that would bring down the list to just 3!
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:01   #1791
BHPian

Tata should actually undercut the competition by a considerable margin. 20% may be a little on the higher side. But even a difference of 60K to 80K can be considered substantial for that category of buyers. For a person buying a 20L INR car, 60K may not be a huge chunk, but 60K makes a difference for someone buying a 10L INR car.

Now, why do they have to price Nexon below the competition even though the product "may" be superior in all aspects ?
Answer: Their own past is haunting them. Even in their recent past, they were producing cars that were comparatively less reliable. It will take a long time for them to shake that opinion off people's mind. Most people don't trust Tata. Until that changes, they cannot price their cars at par to the competition. Sad, but true. Hence if someone says that Tata needs to price this car 20% below competition, it means that they actually want Tata to succeed. I think it is a "brand building" phase for Tata and not profit making phase. First they need to build the brand and then start thinking of ways to make profits. e.g. Amazon.com
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:28   #1792
BHPian

In one of the posts someone mentioned that the new TATA cars(from Tiago onwards) are bought by millennials mostly and I guess those will be the audience TATA might be targeting and would price it that way (not cheap but VFM). So it would price it around 9.5L for the top end.

I guess with the impact design philosophy TATA strategy was to attract the millennials rather than sell their cars for a loss to attract people who say no on hearing the name TATA (or those people who care so much about them and expect them to give everything (and much more than) the competition provides and still sell it for 20% loss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Before anybody starts demanding my head, please be informed that I am a Tata convert after driving the Bolt and Hexa
, I noticed that you don't have those cars mentioned in your signature. You don't own them?
Old 2nd August 2017, 20:12   #1793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
, I noticed that you don't have those cars mentioned in your signature. You don't own them?
Tata's to be blamed here as well. The Hexa was not launched back then
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 21:40   #1794
Distinguished - BHPian

The upcoming present-gen Nexon will be the last Tata model to use the X1 platform, as per Tim Leverton, President & Chief Technical Officer, Tata Motors.

Introduced back in 2008 for the Indica Vista, the X1 platform has been used in both - it's original and modified, strengthened versions - for the Manza sedan, the Zest sedan and the Bolt hatchback.

Tata Motors will move on to it's all-new Advanced Modular Platform (AMP) for it's next-gen mass-market models, starting with the X451 hatch & sedan which are set to be introduced sometime by late-2018. Even the next-generation/facelifted Nexon will move on to the AMP platform.

Quote:
When asked about future models based on the platform on which Nexon is built, he said: "This will be the last car on this platform and I think we made clear that our future strategy we'd move to the modular platform. This car will run in production for so long and when it gets replaced we go onto the new platform base."
ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:07   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tata Motors will move on to it's all-new Advanced Modular Platform (AMP) for it's next-gen mass-market models, starting with the X451 hatch & sedan which are set to be introduced sometime by late-2018. Even the next-generation/facelifted Nexon will move on to the AMP platform.
This probably means Tata will have something to showcase at the AutoExpo next January. This is seemingly good news. Hope the AMP is adaptable for including an AWD option which wasn't possible with the current X1 platform.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:21   #1796
BHPian

Guys, any update on the colour options on Nexon?
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:45   #1797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The upcoming present-gen Nexon will be the last Tata model to use the X1 platform, as per Tim Leverton, President & Chief Technical Officer, Tata Motors.

Introduced back in 2008 for the Indica Vista, the X1 platform has been used in both - it's original and modified, strengthened versions - for the Manza sedan, the Zest sedan and the Bolt hatchback.

ET Auto
Thanks a lot for sharing the article but no where does it mention about X451.
Old 3rd August 2017, 01:59   #1798
BHPian

I was really disappointed when Tata shelved the Racemo. But after reading all the comments regarding a sub 10 lakh Tata car, I doubt how many 25lakh rupees "Tata" Racemo they would have been actually able to sell.

The same Maruti that was lethargic about safety now makes ABS, airbags standard while the Hyundai that had rear disk brakes, 6 airbags now makes rear wiper, ABS, airbags available in the top end option pack. Remember the same Honda that made the premium Civic makes Brio then why can't Tata that made Indica make a Nexon? We must not forget companies change over time, Tata was pathetic back then, but if they have changed now then why still bash them because they were pathetic in the past? We will happily buy a 10lakh rupees Honda without wheel clading but we will nitpick about lack of heart rate monitor in the activity key of a 10 lakh rupees Tata. Our market has changed obsession from "Kitna deti hai" to "Kaun sa brand hai"

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd August 2017 at 10:41. Reason: Added Space. Thanks
Debajyoti is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:22   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Our market has changed obsession from "Kitna deti hai" to "Kaun sa brand hai"
Not without reason I would say. A Negative Image takes years to go away.

For Example, no matter how much good Stuff comes out of China, the "Made in China" tag is hard to dissociate with "China Ka Maal" image in our minds.

Off late, the signs are positive, hope things change around for the better for Tata Motors. The "TATA" brand still has a lot of Equity among Indians, its just that TATA Motors have to change.

Old 3rd August 2017, 10:44   #1800
BHPian

I have been following details on Nexon and really liked the design, slightly radical I would say but refreshing to see Tata improving substantially. Personally I like the red one.

Their recent offerings - Tiago, Tigor, Zest etc. have all been a welcome improvement in design and are definitely eye-catchers. I am no Tata fan, but I do support them seeing their sincere efforts in improving service experiences for the customer.

Wish Nexon all the success.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks