Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 16:14   #361
BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

I took my friend's Crysta for a drive for about 30 mins yesterday. You know what's following, right? The "comparison".

Obviously the car isn't too old, and has run about 18000 kms. It is the 2.8 AT, the top variant. The first thing that struck me was how much noisier the car was. The cabin isn't well insulated. The Crysta also feels "tinny", and really the build can be described as a segment lower compared the the Tucson. It isn't that solid, and there were enough vibrations on the footwell that I asked my friend if he'd abused the car at all. I was not impressed. I could feel bumps on the road where I wouldn't even notice on the Tucson, and this with the Tucson having 18 inch wheels.

The driving position is nice, and it has probably all features that Tucson has, and maybe more. I like the arm rest wrap in felt.

There's enough power in "PWR" mode and the Crysta pulls nicely but isn't really fun. There's something lacking, that's besides raw grunt. I can't really throw it around, and the ride isn't great. The mileage per L is lesser too. It's weird. I expected more from the Crysta seeing as how it's been selling close to 8k units per month, and this was the highest variant available.

The multi media interface also looked really last gen, with shadows and "3D bubble" effect onscreen controls. I thought we did away with this type of skeuomorphism about 5 years ago.

Granted, I do not have much experience in driving different cars and I ofcourse would've missed a lot of subtleties, but this is what I felt in a nutshell: The Crysta absolutely feels like a car from one segment below.
ach1lles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 00:16   #362

I agree. Stunning looks, just right for a compact crossover SUV.
When it 1st entered the market a few years back, the market wasn't matured enough for it.

It should eat up share of Bigger and smaller SUVs.
Didn't like Creta's looks and proportions.

Tucson has the right balance and shape.
Paragkash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 08:51   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
The first thing that struck me was how much noisier the car was. The cabin isn't well insulated. The Crysta also feels "tinny", and really the build can be described as a segment lower compared the the Tucson. It isn't that solid, and there were enough vibrations on the footwell that I asked my friend if he'd abused the car at all.
Yep, you're right. I took a ride in a Crysta and remembered your post. My opinion on it was 50% satisfaction, 50% not, the ride was very bumpy even on smooth roads, perhaps something to do with air-pressure but still for such a car the smooth roads must feel like cotton. The build quality is indeed tinny, well Hyundai itself (post 2010) is far from the best when it comes to panels but the Crysta was clearly a notch lower, the door shut felt a bit hollow and vague. The drive was NOT comfortable, period.

The cabin is not well insulated I agree there as well but the engine noise was well controlled and space/seating flexibility is a big advantage as has been with all the Innovas until now, ideal for those big families of 7-8 wanting to drive together all the time. Tucson like the Yeti, remains a premium, urban-cross car, definitely not for 100% utility value get-the-job-done users.
Old 25th December 2016, 10:58   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The build quality is indeed tinny, well Hyundai itself (post 2010) is far from the best when it comes to panels but the Crysta was clearly a notch lower, the door shut felt a bit hollow and vague. The drive was NOT comfortable, period.
Wonder what is it with Toyota & Honda. Both are leading auto manufacturers worldwide with a lot of fan base, including fans in India, for the badge.

This feedback on new Innova Crysta and similar quality issues feedback on this forum from 2016 Honda City owners. Almost appears that previous models of Innova & City were built better. Wonder if it is only cost cutting on quality for Indian customers.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 22:02   #365
BHPian

Mini update: Highway mileage is around 14/L.

An incident today: Was doing around 100 kmph on NH1 and suddenly this stationary Wagon R decides to cut across the highway from the left of the highway to the right, to probably take a right turn. Had to swerve a lane and a half while slowing down. While I did wish I could assault that driver without repercussions, the Tucson managed very nicely. No drama, no loss of control even for a sec. Extreme poise.

Also, I'll be going for my first service in a day or two, anything I should look for at the ASS in particular?
ach1lles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 06:11   #366
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I simply cannot understand how one can pay 30-32 lacs Rupees for a Hyundai Tucson!
The earlier generation Tucson was launched in 2005 at Rs 17-18 lacs on Road Bangalore.
And the Terracan was offered at the time, for Rs 25 odd lacs.

Whats with all these car manufacturers? Is there really so much money in India that people don't care about "fair pricing" which is comparable to the International market for the same vehicle spec?

Or is it a case of being starved for options? Or is it sheer snob value?

Just take the case of the Innova - it was launched at Rs 9-10 lacs ten years ago! Now the same thing is going for around 27-30 lacs!

Either I am completely out of sync and a lost case because the rest of India has passed me by, OR, there is something overall wrong with the price vs value equation here.

Frankly, going by all this, I think I will just hang on to my 5 year old Yeti and my new (old) 14 year old Gypsy and be content with them both.

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2016 at 17:28. Reason: Lets leave the broken Jeep dream behind, shall we? No point bringing it up in every thread
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 09:07   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Whats with all these car manufacturers? Is there really so much money in India that people don't care about "fair pricing" which is comparable to the International market for the same vehicle spec?
Nope, International market pricing and India have never been at par and perhaps never will be. The price rise has more to do with rise in input costs (I remember reading that steel prices went up a couple of times), insurance costs going up and overall inflation which is a natural disease in this monetary climate. You might've bought the Yeti at 18-19L odd if I'm not wrong? Today its touching 30 for very little changes overall to the vehicle.

About 3-4 years back I saw an ad by BMW, even though I knew I can't purchase it I realized that such a December offer will never, ever be seen in the future, it was so ridiculous that I should've cut the ad out and preserved it - a (then current) previous generation X1 fully loaded at Rs.19L ex-showroom no questions asked. If a deal in the automobile world is rare then this was the winged flying unicorn in that scenario. The same car now is double the money. A 3-Series was available for Rs.28.xx lakh on-road at that time, today it crosses Rs.40.xx lakh

Still, I'm ok with the scene of things today, the rates of most vehicles across all brands have gone up in the same manner. There IS infact, lots of money in the economy today.. I see many freshers right out of college earning a fraction of what I do, still going out and booking a "sporty-hatch" for Rs.10-11 lakh or a status-symbolesque Honda City @ Rs.13-14L. Either they have no concept of saving or laying a foundation or they're confident that they'll earn enough to repay the loan and then some going down in future. Just a few years back a car was seen as utilitarian, simple point to point transport.. today its seen as a symbol of the owner's capacity whatever that means.

I'm happy either way, I'm gonna buy the smaller cars that I can afford in the end and for those with excess disposable wealth even Rs.5-10 lakh overpricing wouldn't matter even a little bit. May we all pay more for the sins of polluting the atmosphere.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th December 2016 at 09:09.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 09:44   #368
Senior - BHPian

In countries with loose laws of governance and poor flexible law & order, auto companies price their products higher. I think overheads of operating in India are substantial part of expenses of many corporates. 'Contributions to election funds' is also significant source of corruption. Because there is far more money to be made overall by selling 30k cars at 15 lakh rather than selling 5k cars at 30 lakh.
Old 27th December 2016, 19:13   #369
BNM
BHPian

Haven't seen them on the Roads yet !
Is it just me or the sales is so pathetic in Bangalore? Haven't seen a single Tucson on the roads yet!
Can anybody indicate the sales figures ?

Last edited by BNM : 27th December 2016 at 19:16.
BNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 20:04   #370
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Is it just me or the sales is so pathetic in Bangalore? Haven't seen a single Tucson on the roads yet!
At 32 lakhs for the top end, it had to be a sales flop. I probably saw one in Bangalore not sure if it was a demo car .
Old 27th December 2016, 20:18   #371
Senior - BHPian

I have seen atleast 4 over here in the past few days. Looks like people have started to lap it up. Let's see how it goes.

I really like the rear and side profile, still to make peace with the front end.
Old 27th December 2016, 23:34   #372
Senior - BHPian

Well, when considering the top variant of the Tuscon@32 lakhs or thereabouts, why will somebody not consider the base variant of X1@29.9 lakhs ex showroom Del. I guess if you factor in the discounts, the X1 may work out to be cheaper than the Tuacon🤗

Now, I can understand when one compares the next segment car from non luxury brand to a lower segment car from a luxury brand, it seems like likely real world comparison. But, in this case it is a like for like comparison with the X1. Why would anyone buy Tucson? Just because it is cheaper to maintain?
Old 28th December 2016, 10:16   #373
BHPian

The only advantage of Tuscon is cheaper to maintain and good mileage, it ends there.

I was in the market of SUV, evaluated Tuscon, XUV, Innova and Endeavor.

Booked Innova Crysta top end based on my needs with the help of forum, and paid advance, but was waiting to get 2017 model.
But when I was offered Endeavor Trend just 1 L above Innova, I immediately jumped and accepted the offer. It has all the goodies of Innova minus 5 airbags.
Try Endeavor, enjoy the silence of Cabin with good music, and drive, you will not go back to Tuscon unless your priorities are mileage of 30L vehicle.(or pure city driving).
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 10:40   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Thats probably because deliveries have not started in full swing yet. 8-10 weeks is the waiting time, at least in Pune.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:19   #375
BHPian

The pricing is a joke. They said they wanted to stash this car between the Creta and Santafe. More closer to the Santafe.
No 7 seats, no AWD, no sun roof. Why on earth will one buy this car when they can shell out a bit more and go for acclaimed king of roads in the Endy and Fortuner? Another good example of a fantastic car being ruined by mindless pricing.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks