Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2016, 10:08   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

The only benefit that I witnessed over past few days is reduced congestion during peak hours. The commute time from Gurgaon to Delhi has reduced by 20%. I take MG Road.

My colleagues using NH8 confirmed that there is no improvement in situation and they are spending same amount of time from Gurgaon to their residences in west Delhi.

I took Metro during morning peak hours from Chattarpur and it was mad. Just to enter the platform, it took me about 25 minutes.

- The CISF staff was releasing people in batches to manage the crowd at the platform as excess people on platform could have resulted in casualty
- The security scan was a complete joke, there was nothing which can even remotely be called as security check at the entry to platforms
- Metro was badly crowded, I witnessed few people missing their alighting stations as they could not reach the doors of Metro

There are few concerns:
- Safety and security of passengers was already poor even in Metro, it has become marginal / peripatetic with this odd even experiment

- Most of the luxury cars that have been banned are diesel driven and I am sure if this 3 month ban on large diesel machines continues, the companies in courts will make sure that there is a blanket ban on all diesel cars, as I doubt on the availability of competent fuels from Indian refineries for the next level of Euro norms. Also, will it make any difference in car sales? well the person will not buy a car beyond 2000 cc but can buy a lower one - Chevy Cruze was saved 1998 cc
- The daily commuters who were already using public transports are worst hit as the government stressed the public transport system beyond its capacity; to me one problem (pollution and if the cars are really the only responsible component for the present pollution in Delhi) has been replaced by another problem (overstressed public transportation), and
finally a doubt - if taxi service providers (biggies like Uber, Ola, Reliance-Meru etc.) are hands in glove with government? The ridership has gone up by 30% and if people have switched to cabs - how will it reduce the pollution?

We look for instant solutions and our policies clearly lack vision.

Good luck to bans and odd even experiments !

Last edited by i74js : 7th January 2016 at 10:12.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 12:23   #197
Senior - BHPian

re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1% cess

A brand new diesel car with 2L or higher engine sits in the stockyard as it's banned from being sold while a 10 year old 1.5L diesel car is being driven freely on the roads. Is that 2L turbo diesel car more polluting then the 1.5L diesel? Automotive technology has moved way ahead in past few years so the blanket ban on a particular segment of car makes no sense. Also, what about the auto-rickshaws/ old taxi's that mix kerosene in petrol and drive around spewing pollution? What about the tempo's and trucks?

I think it would be better if government comes out with some scheme to replace 10years and more old cars with newer diesel cars. As for new ones, instead of banning them, why not follow the UK system of taxing them based on emissions?

Pollution can also be reduced by smoother roads, dynamic traffic signal's, better urban planning so that road space is not taken by hawker's, parking etc. A simple system could be to exempt cars with 3 or more people from paying toll. That will speed up toll bottlenecks, promote car pooling and also help to reduce pollution.

Normally, the banning part comes after all options are exhausted. In India, government sits on their backsides doing nothing and suddenly one day they want to appear tough so they start banning products randomly.

What if tomorrow Mercedes comes with a 2.5L diesel hybrid? Will that be banned too?
amit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 09:37   #198
BHPian

Had planned for a 7 seater suv during January 2016 but am now stuck up. Only choices with the current 2000cc diesel ban is the ertiga, renault lodgy or the eeco. Cant think of the Mercs, Porsche or the land rovers... Is M&M seriously looking at a petrol suv or a sub 2000cc diesel motor for the XUV or the scorpio? Even the Innova is now off my radar.

Any suggestions or news on this front?
Old 8th January 2016, 10:52   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Had planned for a 7 seater suv during January 2016 but am now stuck up. Only choices with the current 2000cc diesel ban is the ertiga, renault lodgy or the eeco. Cant think of the Mercs, Porsche or the land rovers... Is M&M seriously looking at a petrol suv or a sub 2000cc diesel motor for the XUV or the scorpio? Even the Innova is now off my radar.

Any suggestions or news on this front?
Why don't you look for a good pre-owned sample. I think they have not banned ownership transfers.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why don't you look for a good pre-owned sample. I think they have not banned ownership transfers.
Thanks @DryIce. But personally would prefer a new vehicle
Old 8th January 2016, 11:46   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
Thanks @DryIce. But personally would prefer a new vehicle
Is it not possible to buy/register the car in other states and drive in Delhi? Do you also have the kind of harassment from RTO that we have in Bangalore for other state-registered vehicles?
Old 8th January 2016, 12:17   #202
BHPian

Personally would love to see a 1.8 or 1.9 ltr high revving petrol motor in the scorpio and XUV as an option. Churning out something like 150-160bhp with oodles of torque low down in the rpm range. 6cyl would be ideal

NB: all this dreaming at 12-14kmpl would be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Is it not possible to buy/register the car in other states and drive in Delhi? Do you also have the kind of harassment from RTO that we have in Bangalore for other state-registered vehicles?
Atleast i have never faced harassment in the last 10 years or so that i have been driving UP65 and HR70 number plates in Delhi. But the issue is address proof for getting vehicle registered in different states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
This regional bias by govt authorities is not understood by me. Infact it takes the cake completely. As long as we want things cheap i believe this is the level of cheap service that we will get out of the system.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th January 2016 at 07:42. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 15th January 2016, 07:50   #203
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra is almost ready with under 2000cc engines. If the reports are to be believed, Mahindra Scorpio and XUV with sub 2000cc engines will be hitting market in this quarter itself.

Source
Old 15th January 2016, 07:53   #204
BHPian

M&M is ready with 1.9ltr version of mHawk engine to comply with SC ban of diesel engines greater than 2000 CC.
They have got ARAI approval and will be introduced in Scropio first followed by XUV.

Quote:
M&M has made a smaller version of the mHawk engine that powers the Scorpio and XUV 500, several industry sources with knowledge of the matter told ET. The new engine is of 1.9 litres, smaller than the 2.2-litre plant that traditionally powers the SUV, bringing it within the limits set by the court for registration of diesel vehicles.
After SC ban within a month, pretty fast I must say. They must have started work on this long back IMO.

Source
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/.../50583739.cms#

Last edited by S.MJet : 15th January 2016 at 07:55.
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 10:12   #205
BHPian

How can they make changes in / downsize the engine so fast ? I would take this news with a pinch of salt, unless M&M had already developed the engine prior to this ban. First downsizing the engine then testing and validation in the real world scenario, putting up for ARAI certification, all this in a span of less than one month or so looks very difficult for any manufacturer in my opinion. Also, the article mentions that M&M's sale in NCR is just 4%, which I doubt would be the case, as NCR is their biggest market for atleast Scorpio and XUV.
Old 15th January 2016, 11:10   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
How can they make changes in / downsize the engine so fast ? I would take this news with a pinch of salt, unless M&M had already developed the engine prior to this ban. First downsizing the engine then testing and validation in the real world scenario, putting up for ARAI certification, all this in a span of less than one month or so looks very difficult for any manufacturer in my opinion. Also, the article mentions that M&M's sale in NCR is just 4%, which I doubt would be the case, as NCR is their biggest market for atleast Scorpio and XUV.
Did the supreme court ban on 2L diesel vehicles happen just by chance on a whim? No.
http://supremecourtofindia.nic.in/Fi...1450256085.pdf
Going through the judgement, we can see that this was in the cards for a very long time.

All manufacturers keep a very close tab (and possibly lobby well) on all such matters where court order, govt regulation or parliament law can change their fortunes. I am 100% certain that all manufacturer knew well in advance, that this order would be passed.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 17:42   #207
BHPian

Fair point?

Allowing certain cars on grounds that they are like vacuum cleaners.

http://m.indiatimes.com/news/india/j...rs-250381.html
Old 7th February 2016, 21:33   #208
Team-BHP Support

Some strong comments by Jaguar Land Rover

In a strong criticism of the ban on high-end diesel car sales, Tatas-owned luxury carmaker Jaguar Land Rover has said the air sucked in by its latest technology vehicles on Delhi roads is "far dirtier" than what they emit.

The latest EU VI regulation schemes have got technical features, which (can) clean the air in Delhi. These kind of vehicles drive like a hoover... The air they suck in is far dirtier than the air which comes out of it," CEO of the UK-based JLR Ralph Speth told PTI.

http://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/jagua...om=home-cities
Old 7th February 2016, 21:48   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Allowing certain cars on grounds that they are like vacuum cleaners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The latest EU VI regulation schemes have got technical features, which (can) clean the air in Delhi.
These kind of vehicles drive like a hoover... The air they suck in is far dirtier than the air which comes out of it," CEO of the UK-based JLR Ralph Speth told PTI.
Some very irresponsible comments from upper management at JLR, almost as bad as the "at least safer than a 2-wheeler" comment from the big-wig at Maruti !
While the ban on 2+ liter diesel-engined automobiles might have been an ad-hoc, knee-jerk judgement, comments like these from people whom you'd expect would be more measured, is rather disappointing.
Well, at least JLR owners can rejoice, they do not need air-purifiers or "ionizers" any more - their cars will do it for them
Old 7th February 2016, 22:37   #210
BHPian

What about the ban on 10 year old diesel vehicles..does it still hold ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks