Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 15:17   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Closer view of the interiors. That gear lever will need some getting used to I suppose. The hand brake lever seems to be quite close to the seat. Won't it be a nice toy for a kid in that middle seat to fiddle around with? A little risky in my opinion.

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-kuv100interiorspyimages.jpg

Source: Motoroids

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 5th January 2016 at 15:23.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 15:19   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

That looks like a small hatchback with bulky SUV front. At least Kwid has big boot and overall shape to match the front. But KUV will find many takers if they price it in Swift/Grand i10 level.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th January 2016 at 15:34.
Old 5th January 2016, 15:30   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Spied at Dealers yard.

Source: Rushlane
From the earlier photographs, looks good from the front. But in these photographs it looks quite disproportionate from the side. I hope I am wrong and it is only the camera angle that makes it appear so!
Strangerintown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:17   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargavd View Post
I was followed by a KUV 1OO in camo on Dehu road by-pass for a couple of minutes, post which the driver overtook me. In the rear view mirror it looks like a large "car" due to the high bonnet height. Does command some respect. From the rear the size looks OK. I had a Swift ahead of me, and the KUV is a little higher at the roof line. A low resolution pic that we could click of the back.

Not from Support: Post edited for grammar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That looks like a small hatchback with bulky SUV front. At least Kwid has big boot and overall shape to match the front. But KUV will find many takers if they price it in Swift/Grand i10 level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
From the earlier photographs, looks good from the front. But in these photographs it looks quite disproportionate from the side. I hope I am wrong and it is only the camera angle that makes it appear so!
Quoting my post from earlier and from Laatheesh, the KUV looks like different car sizes from front and back. Has a very high bonnet height for its overall size. While the roof at the back is just a little higher than swift.

Pricing and creature comforts will make or break the product. Amongst the people I spoke with regarding the design, they were either neutral or very happy. So the reviews are better than TUV in that sense.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th January 2016 at 16:18. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing between quoted posts.
Old 5th January 2016, 16:45   #140
Senior - BHPian

WoW. Thats one ugly looking car!!

I just dont get the target audience which is Mahindra is looking at?

Family Users? Enthusiasts? Taxi Segment?

I just cant figure out which segment will like such a design?

Also I expect significant body roll seeing the dynamics, however lets wait for reviews to actually provide insights.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 16:46   #141
BHPian

I haven't seen the car in person, but this clearly looks like a big hatch to me! But Mahindra stressed that its SUV in their launch event. Will need to see the car in person to be able to confirm.

Mahindra had earlier adamantly insisted that the Verito vibe is a Sedan. So I wouldn't be surprised if they called a hatch an SUV!!
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 00:23   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Also I expect significant body roll seeing the dynamics, however lets wait for reviews to actually provide insights.
Please care to share any "dynamic" reports you have come across. None of us have read any drive reports, so let us refrain from speculating.

As you have rightly said, only a full TD can reveal the driving characteristics.
Aragorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 02:54   #143
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV; bookings open on December 19, 2015

I think KUV will do to B segment hatches what Scorpio did to Sedans and as the D segment sedans are disappearing and XUV segment (14-20 Lacs) is growing, in the same way KUV may eat a reasonable share of hatches and carve a niche of its own. Considering the price of Jazz, Elite i20, etc touching 8 Lac its very much possible too. At the same time it would attack compact sedan segment too.

Last edited by carwatcher : 6th January 2016 at 02:56.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 15:07   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajess_in View Post
Datsun Go is basically a 5 seater, with the co-driver seat extended for utility purpose only. You cannot seat even a kid there in the middle. And yes, no seat belt is given as well for the middle in the front row. Second middle seat gets a lap belt.
ACI is confirming a seat belt for the middle seat. I hope they are not referring to a lap belt as a seat belt.

Quote:
The Mahindra KUV100 looks all set to take this concept a step higher, with a proper middle seating arrangement complete with a seat belt, earning the legal classification of a six-seater – something the Datsun GO does not have. Company sources also indicated a versatile arrangement of a connected seat base but a split backrest, probably foldable into an armrest.
Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...at-399462.aspx
shifu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 18:33   #145
BHPian

Today I saw kuv being unloaded from the trailer, spent some time at it and I think the car is more a big hatch then a small SUV. As for reference Wagon R is bigger in size then kuv. Pricing will be the key for this car, if its priced closer to zica, wagon R, Celerio and little less then swift, grandi10 then only it will sell some numbers.

Another problem this car will face is 1.2 litre diesel engine, remember VW and Skoda with their polo and fabia suffered miserably due to similar displacement diesels in their heavy cars, considering the fact that mahindra and Tata face serious difficulties in shedding weight, kuv is more likely to be on heavier side and will not be nimble footed.
amit_snk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 22:33   #146
BANNED

The dashboard center part looks as if somebody punched on the jaw and it was dislocated towards one side. Reminds me of shin-chan too.
Old 13th January 2016, 07:59   #147
BHPian

I saw this video on youtube and I thought I'd share it with everyone here:

Overall it looks decent enough if you ask me but I think that the tyres look too small for the wheel arches, especially at the back.
nivatakavacha is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 08:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Good god! The wheels look absolutely comical on that car and this is the top end version. And what with those headlights? What is the purpose of extending them so far back? It doesn't do anything to the design at all. This is juvenile. As ugly as ugly can be.

Looks a bit like this.... or a centipede perhaps
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...ience/Dog3.jpg

P.S. Man those headlights and wheels! Dauuum!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 13th January 2016 at 09:05.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 09:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

Did E2O inspire this? From the side it looks like that to me. Cant they do few and do them right? Its better to be conservative in design rather than alienate most.
Old 13th January 2016, 10:06   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
......The hand brake lever seems to be quite close to the seat. Won't it be a nice toy for a kid in that middle seat to fiddle around with? A little risky in my opinion.
It would certainly be a temptation for all junior passengers! I expect that in the hand-brake released mode, the lever will probably recede further forward towards the dash, a bit more out of harm's way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I haven't seen the car in person, but this clearly looks like a big hatch to me! But Mahindra stressed that its SUV in their launch event. Will need to see the car in person to be able to confirm.
Mahindra had earlier adamantly insisted that the Verito vibe is a Sedan. So I wouldn't be surprised if they called a hatch an SUV!!
I agree entirely - the fact that Mahindra too has climbed the 'steroidal-hatch-wannabe-suv' bandwagon is disappionting. With their long-standing reputation for bull-dog UVs & SUVs, they have their work cut-out if they want to make a mark in this segment - with its more fragile, more ornamental yet intensely competitive combatants - price-wise, features-wise & looks-wise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
WoW. Thats one ugly looking car!!
I just dont get the target audience which is Mahindra is looking at?
Family Users? Enthusiasts? Taxi Segment?
I just cant figure out which segment will like such a design?
Well, now, that's interesting! - I had no idea that just looking at photos gives one an idea about the performance dynamics of the vehicle! And regarding the target segment - have you seen the Quid lately? Or any of the other hatches-on-steroids? Do you really find a galactic difference between them & the KUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
......Another problem this car will face is 1.2 litre diesel engine, remember VW and Skoda with their polo and fabia suffered miserably due to similar displacement diesels in their heavy cars, considering the fact that mahindra and Tata face serious difficulties in shedding weight, kuv is more likely to be on heavier side and will not be nimble footed.
I share your misgivings about the KUV's kerb wt., keeping in mind their past efforts. I hope Mahindra have acquired the current fabrication tech. for monocoques & have reduced the weight to the competition's ball-park. The FE figures too would be decisive if its to succeed in this segment, which is a first for M&M.

I dont think the engine is cause for worry - 77bhp/190Nm from 1.2L is about the current state-of-the-art. The 1.3L multijet in the Swift, Bolt & Punto produces comparable (or slightly less) output. Now, if only the kerb wt was to become comparable to the competition.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
I saw this video on Youtube ....Overall it looks decent enough if you ask me but I think that the tyres look too small for the wheel arches, especially at the back.
Thanks nivatakavacha, that was the first clear & comprehensive video view of the KUV that I've seen! As you say the tyres look small and one still misses the vital stats - LxWxH, boot space, kerb weight etc. However, its now just another few days before the curtain goes up!

Last edited by shashanka : 13th January 2016 at 10:07. Reason: content trimming
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks