Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 17:52   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Thank you for that link. The pics are fairly detailed and up close.

So these set of pics confirm the below features of the KUV -
  • Electrically adjustable ORVMs (electric fold does not seem to be an option though)
  • Audio controls on steering wheel
  • USB and Aux input in the stereo. Also Bluetooth functionality for calls and maybe music.
  • 6 speaker setup (judging by the provision for tweeters on the A pillar)
  • Really nice instrument cluster with MID
  • Dead pedal
  • Eco Mode
  • Front seat extension folds to double up as an armrest (thankfully!)

The inner door handles looks much better than the ones on the new Scorpio!
raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:56   #167
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

What went wrong with the rear of the car?! Man the rear is horrendous! I kind of see a Maximo design cue in the rear of the KUV! Seems all the money was spent on the front end. The interiors though seem quite decent in quality in design. No doubt Mahindra will load it with features but the 3 cylinder engines are a first for M&M. Let's see how they perform.

Last edited by amit : 13th January 2016 at 17:57.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 18:20   #168
BHPian

Wow its a bit quirky for sure & boot seems a bit too small as well. I am interested in knowing is how tough this little thing actually is, whats the ground clearance (looks like > 180mm for sure) & if it does have underbody/engine protection. If the answer is positive then it can definitely work like a 'soft' SUV & will surely open up a new segment.

Currently opinions are polarized & I remember same thing happened at the time of swift launch as well ( we all know what it did for Maruti back then).

Its small but hope it carries the rugged M&M DNA & if it does then I wont mind buying one ( & I guess many others will follow as well).
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 18:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
...but the 3 cylinder engines are a first for M&M. Let's see how they perform.
Wasn't the original ugly duckling Quanto housing a 3 pot 1.5L motor?
Roomy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 21:46   #170
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Along with the video, those detailed pictures give us a good idea of what to expect. Thanks for sharing, guys!

I always assumed the KUV1OO was going to be a direct rival to Ford's EcoSport and the upcoming Vitara Brezza and Osprey from Maruti Suzuki and Tata respectively. The pictures and video show how incorrect my assumption was!

From the pictures, the KUV1OO is clearly going to be a direct rival to the Maruti Suzuki Ignis that would be showcased at the Auto Expo. It's no wonder then, that Tata have postponed the launch of their Zica till after the KUV1OO's launch, as they don't want to mess up on the pricing.

Maruti Suzuki need to fast track the launch of their Ignis and give it four-pot engines in both petrol and diesel variants, along with an AMT option. The Ignis can replace the Ritz (whose production is rumoured to have ended) in their line-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Wasn't the original ugly duckling Quanto housing a 3 pot 1.5L motor?
True! Not just the Quanto, the TUV3OO also has the same 3-pot motor in a slightly different state of tune.

Last edited by RSR : 13th January 2016 at 22:03.
Old 13th January 2016, 22:26   #171
BHPian

I am okay with the front end of the car but what on earth the mahindra designers had in their mind while designing the rear. I dont think it will have the kind of impact the KWID had on the market.
hareesh3395 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 22:57   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Detailed pics of the KUV100, more in the link!

Attachment 1460065
[/url]
Am I seeing the old pull type hand brake lever As in Datsun or is it something else ?
Old 14th January 2016, 00:04   #173
Senior - BHPian

OMG this is the worst piece of designing in the history of automobiles !!
Old 14th January 2016, 07:08   #174
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Does it come with a 4x4 option?
And is this like some kind of answer to the Nissan Juke, generally speaking?

Im sure it will do well, given the India penchant for SUV ish looking toys.
But I would wish for it to have lots of functional bells and whistles and stuff.

They ought to have introduced this some 10-15 years ago as competition to the venerable Gypsy!
Old 14th January 2016, 08:40   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Does it come with a 4x4 option?
And is this like some kind of answer to the Nissan Juke, generally speaking?

Im sure it will do well, given the India penchant for SUV ish looking toys.
But I would wish for it to have lots of functional bells and whistles and stuff.
No 4x4. As you have aptly put, it falls into the SUVish looking toy category .

Not too many bells and whistles. But does come with ABS as standard and optional airbags on all variants.

Also, in case you missed it, it is a 6 seater in some variants. Comes with a bench seat in front to fit a kid in the middle. For that point alone I expect the bang for your buck public to lap it up.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 09:21   #176
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
No 4x4. As you have aptly put, it falls into the SUVish looking toy category .

Not too many bells and whistles. But does come with ABS as standard and optional airbags on all variants.

Also, in case you missed it, it is a 6 seater in some variants. Comes with a bench seat in front to fit a kid in the middle. For that point alone I expect the bang for your buck public to lap it up.
I guess at the end of the day they are serving the larger segment of the market that is likely to lap it up for the reasons you've stated above.

Good that ABS is standard across variants and that it comes with the options of Airbags too, across all variants.

Signs that the manufacturers in India are beginning to wake up finally, to the importance of safety.

However, I wish they had given the option of 4x4 too, so that over time, a vehicle like this could actually contend with the Jeeps and Gypsys etc for people in rural areas and in the Tea/ Coffee plantation areas of India, where 4x4 is required.
Old 14th January 2016, 11:25   #177

Just when you start thinking that Mahindra has developed a mature design philosophy or at least seems to be on the way towards it, it comes out with products like this one and do a quick reality check for you. Don't get me wrong all you M&M lovers, I own a Mahindra car and love it to the core. Keeping aside the fact that the XUV 5OO has it's own extreme design as some may put it, I still love my car when it is on an open highway.

Coming back to the KUV1OO. Now what do I not like about this vehicle so far (rather what do I dislike the most)?
1. What were the designers smoking when they extended the highlights all the way from the headlights to almost the A-pillar??
2. No synchronization between the character lines flowing from the front and the rear when seen from the side.
3. Tires lifted from the Nano stable I suppose.
4. Enormous gap in both the front and rear wheel wells (are they planning some extra storage space there and sell that as another USP for this car)

Maybe we have to wait for more details to come out but for now I feel that Mahindra had tasked three separate teams to design this car - One for the front, the other one for the side and the last for rear of the car. It is also possible that Mahindra did not want any of these designers to meet or communicate during the design phase so as to ensure as much asymmetry in design as possible. It is highly likely that Mahindra gave the designer who was responsible for the side profile, an additional task of ensuring complete lack of synchronization in the front and rear designs.

All said, the vehicle is not so bad from the inside. The dashboard looks neat to me. Actually the arrangement in the central console housing the aircon controls and gear lever looks like it has been lifted from a Perodua Myvi. I have rented out a Myvi quite a few times here in Kuala Lumpur and find the arrangement functional to say the least.

I hope Mahindra starts listening to noises in forums like these and do something about their design blunders like these.

I personally do not completely agree with the thought that the KUV will do good despite its shoddy design. If this was the case, the Quanto would have done well too. But at the end, India is a very price sensitive market and if priced well, you never know you may have a winner at hand and Mahindra may have the last laugh. *grin*

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Only TWO (2) emoticons allowed per post. Please read the Announcements carefully before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th January 2016 at 15:59. Reason: see note in post
harjeet.khokher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:12   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

When I saw the official images of the KUV, felt it looked decent, but the spy shots reveal the quirky design in full glory. To my untrained eye, it looks like the result of a fling between a Kwid and a Nano.

Beyond the quirky design, looks to be a good product at a good price. Should sell pretty well. Very interested to know how that petrol engine drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
However, I wish they had given the option of 4x4 too, so that over time, a vehicle like this could actually contend with the Jeeps and Gypsys etc for people in rural areas and in the Tea/ Coffee plantation areas of India, where 4x4 is required.
Little OT, but the compact cross over from Maruti, Suzuki Ignis that is expected in India late this year has an optional AWD variant. (Thread Link). There are rumors that the AWD variant will also make it to India. Little doubtful, need to wait and see. But if it does, could create a trend.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 14th January 2016 at 12:13.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:30   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When I saw the official images of the KUV, felt it looked decent, but the spy shots reveal the quirky design in full glory. To my untrained eye, it looks like the result of a fling between a Kwid and a Nano.

Beyond the quirky design, looks to be a good product at a good price. Should sell pretty well. Very interested to know how that petrol engine drives.

Little OT, but the compact cross over from Maruti, Suzuki Ignis that is expected in India late this year has an optional AWD variant. (Thread Link). There are rumors that the AWD variant will also make it to India. Little doubtful, need to wait and see. But if it does, could create a trend.
Official Images looked like the images for social media while the spy pics looks like they are for Aadhar card. . I am not sure how will it look like in person. I did not like the TUV's design and this is not looking promising either.

On Ignis part, I think Maruti will not bring in AWD version as the overall percentage of AWD sales is not very encouraging. Maruti believe in numbers and AWD will not add significantly to it. I was hoping S Cross would come with AWD but they disappointed us on that front.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 12:38   #180

Seems like a beefed up e2o to me, the wheels are puny. Atleast 15-16 inchers with 195mm section width would have given character to this vehicle. I reckon even wheel size should be considered while defining an SUV. I didn't quite like the TUV 3OO and won't like the KUV 1OO either. Basically Mahindra should focus on their Three major offerings and avoid investing in mere spin offs. Would love to see Ssanyong Tivoli on Indian roads. Frankly speaking, computer generated images of how the KUV would look were far better than the actual product, Gosh! Mahindra really have 16 year olds heading their design department.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks