Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2019, 09:21   #526
BHPian

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

I like the idea of this baby XUV. It's compact, has powerful engines, lots of bells and whistle, safety features and hopefully a safe car too.

I am usually not worried about the space beyond the front seats in my daily drivers. But, if this car offers good dynamics and then compromises on luggage space it is a shame. Perhaps an ideal car for those road trips but no space for luggage!

On a related note, since Mahindra have thrown the gauntlet, it would be interesting to see what Hyundai does with QXi . Hyundai surely wouldn't want to play a second fiddle when it comes to features on their cars. We customers are in for a good time
Old 3rd February 2019, 11:18   #527
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertprince View Post
The DRLs are an attempt to bring the Cheetah element , while the kink in Sangyong designs have influenced multiple Mahindra models in this decade.
The DRLs seems to be an attempt to copy the new Peugeot 508 DRL design.
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-0ce936b2e9e64934b23ad6e70b4d745b.jpeg
Image taken from google.

Note: Peugeot design is a perfect fang, but Mahindra’s fangs I think have undergone a root canal treatment.

Last edited by pavi : 3rd February 2019 at 11:24.
pavi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 15:50   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Note: Peugeot design is a perfect fang, but Mahindra’s fangs I think have undergone a root canal treatment.
Peugeot looks really smashing.
The DRLs are an afterthought in the base design of Baby XUV or should I say that it is a purposeful attempt to sticker the XUV name to its face.

But I must admit that Marazzo and XUV 300 has brought back car lover's confidence in Mahindra designs.
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:14   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli

From the instrument cluster picture above, if this is indeed a true live picture, this car and engine would probably be one of the most effortless highway cruisers around.

100 kmph at 1600 rpm🤑. That is about as relaxed as my BMW 530i in 8th gear. Should be simply amazing to drive. I guess the high torque engine built for a mini-van powering a short sub 4 meter SUV probably can propel it effortlessly as if it were a toy!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...1&d=1549113297

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 3rd February 2019 at 17:15.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:20   #530
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
However Korean horses are known to be weaker than German one's so let's hope this initial excitement doesn't turn out to be a false alarm.
The engine was developed by Mahindra in-house last year for the Marazzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
100 kmph at 1600 rpm.
And 300 Nm @ 1,750 - 2,500 rpm (going by Marazzo figures).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:54   #531
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
However Korean horses are known to be weaker than German one's so let's hope this initial excitement doesn't turn out to be a false alarm.
OT: Weak Korean horses 'were' common speak with reference to Bhp figures of Hyundai petrol engines of the past (Accent Tornado, Accent Viva, etc.).
With regards to diesel Hyundai pretty much been the benchmark and leaders in CRDI engines for much of the past 15 years or so.
manson is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:15   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the instrument cluster picture above...
100 kmph at 1600 rpm🤑.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That's what I thought too. The speedo in the pic is a different speedo though - 120 kmph is shown at the top centre (above kmph) - the one in the XUV has 110 kmph at that point. I don't think there would be too much of a difference however, given those torque figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The engine was jointly developed by Mahindra and Ssangyong for the Marazzo. It was originally planned as a 1.6 litre diesel but subsequently reduced to 1.5l to leverage tax advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
OT: Weak Korean horses 'were' common speak with reference to Bhp figures of Hyundai petrol engines of the past (Accent Tornado, Accent Viva, etc.).
With regards to diesel Hyundai pretty much been the benchmark and leaders in CRDI engines for much of the past 15 years or so.
Looks like you haven't been reading up on reviews about engines for the last 15 years. Even the current diesel engine in the Verna was itself referred to as having weak German horses in quite a few reviews when compared with the Vento which had only 105 Bhp on tap but was almost as fast and much faster on the roll-on. Hyundai is probably a benchmark when it comes to NVH levels. It will be the day when the Germans start using Hyundai diesel engines as a benchmark.

Anyway, as you've rightly stated, this is OT, so let's not derail this discussion.

Last edited by AMG Power : 3rd February 2019 at 19:29.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:43   #533
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw it at Viviana Mall Thane.

1) Very proportionate design.
2) Best interiors in a Mahindra except the Alturas G4
3) Very Small Boot space.
4) Solid door shut sound.
5) Understated design.
6) Good Alloy design.
7) Right size tyres.
8) Light cream leather seats look good.
9) Misses AT?
10) Good looking instrumentation and dash.
11) Very European design relative to Creta, Breeza, EcoSport, Nexon, SCross etc.
12) Ticks Sunroof parameter. But it is too small for any real usage.
13) Front Sensors, Rear sensors and rear camera.

Felt that it was a nice sturdy, plush vehicle. Didn't excite but felt like a reasonable buy.

Last edited by ACM : 3rd February 2019 at 19:54.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 20:41   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
100 kmph at 1600 rpm🤑. That is about as relaxed as my BMW 530i in 8th gear. Should be simply amazing to drive. I guess the high torque engine built for a mini-van powering a short sub 4 meter SUV probably can propel it effortlessly as if it were a toy!
A few months back my parents had spotted a fleet of the XUV300 on the Pune Bangalore highway. My father was cruising at the 110-120kmph range while these cars just flew past within no time. If the 6th gear is indeed this tall, ie to allow 100kmph at 1600RPM, this will be a superb mile muncher on the highway. The downside is that the 6th gear wont be useful for the non developed NH which is mostly 2 or 4 lane. Any drop in speed will require a downshift to 4th or 5th. Also I wonder what the effect on the clutch is going to be with such a configuration. Too tall 5th and 6th will result in stress on the clutch especially if the car is loaded and lugged.

Looking forward to this car. Hope the pricing wont disappoint.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 20:44   #535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From the instrument cluster picture above, if this is indeed a true live picture, this car and engine would probably be one of the most effortless highway cruisers around.
That's not the XUV300 cluster at all. Might be the Tivoli internationally.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 20:49   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

100 kmph at 1600 rpm��. That is about as relaxed as my BMW 530i in 8th gear. Should be simply amazing to drive. I guess the high torque engine built for a mini-van powering a short sub 4 meter SUV probably can propel it effortlessly as if it were a toy!
The Marazzo with the same engine does 100 at 2000 RPM (as per TBHP review). I sincerely hope the pic to be be true.

On the other hand, a lot has been said about the boot & I think 95% of the times boot is empty, & for special occasions one can have a roof carrier (which is not illegal as per Gujarat HC).
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:11   #537
Senior - BHPian

Any news of an automatic/AMT on XUV 300 ?
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:56   #538
Senior - BHPian

Guys, 100kmph at 1600RPM is not the kind of gearing any sane car company would keep for regular passenger cars. They all like to keep it conservative not just for safety & component longevity, but also for efficiency. We car enthusiasts, of all the people, would know this. C'mon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
... If the 6th gear is indeed this tall, ie to allow 100kmph at 1600RPM, ...

The downside is that the 6th gear wont be useful for the non developed NH which is mostly 2 or 4 lane. Any drop in speed will require a downshift to 4th or 5th. Also I wonder what the effect on the clutch is going to be with such a configuration. Too tall 5th and 6th will result in stress on the clutch especially if the car is loaded and lugged...
Not just the clutch, the serious battering the rest of the suspension components would need to withstand due to the acceleration, they'd have had components with extreme durability. Not possible.

Long story short, 100kmph at 1600RPM is impractical & not feasible. That image has probably been rendered by a non-auto-enthusiast.
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:59   #539
BHPian

Checked out the XUV 300 at Forum Mall in Bangalore. Did not take any pics as it was pretty crowded. Some initial impressions
- The front looks better on darker colors, this one was dark grey
- Boot is pretty small. The load lip is not much but the vertical space available is very less. Won't be able to take suitcases standing up
- Rear leg space was good for a car of this size
- 3 point seat belt and adjustable headrest in middle row
- Fold down middle row hand-rest
- No AC vents at the rear
- Door pockets were of decent size
- Front seats were high but did not get a lot of chance to adjust anything
- Dashboard looks decent, not most attractive to my eyes but not overdone
- Initial impression of touchscreen is that the ones on Ford's are better in terms of resolution and touch sensitiveness
- No automatic in highest version (sales representative was not sure if its gonna come)
- Passenger airbag deactivator switch placed in dashboard left hand side and can only be accessed after opening passenger door
- Heater ORVMs
- Wheels were 215 R17....look nice
- Choice to 2 engines (as mentioned by sales rep) - 1.5 diesel and 1.2 petrol. The latter will have 115 BHP and 210 Nm of torque
- Expected price of W8 (top end) variant is around 14.5 lacs

At this price, not sure its a great buy. Although the engine sounds impressive and Gaurav Gill ad does position it as sporty, will wait for final reviews on it

Last edited by manson : 7th February 2019 at 14:49. Reason: Typo.
vivekz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 00:05   #540
Senior - BHPian

Hoping Mahindra see the sense and value in bringing an unchopped version with 423 ltrs boot and rear a/c, charge it whatever it should without that 4 mtrs size rebate/ duty.. That would be something!!

Last edited by manson : 7th February 2019 at 14:48. Reason: Typo.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks