Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2018, 19:15   #256

re: The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs

- mine is mixed reaction - why on earth XUV300? is there dearth of names? why does it need to be an XUV and above all an animal?

It looks good, seems well built, but bit overdone (it's m&m). I liked the interiors but would have preferred if M&M had retained the black interior theme.

Can it compete Brezza? Nothing can compete Maruti - only bipeds walking on the roads compete with Maruti . Bring on the best safety, best equipment, and even try to match the price but only bipeds can compete with Maruti.
Shrek123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 19:29   #257
Senior - BHPian

Looks like an evolution of the Creta from the front and the Brezza from the rear. Its a neutral design and should not be a sore point for anyone. Its got that typical squat SUV profile going for it.
Price it well and instead of having too many features that are a hit or a miss, have a few features that work well and Mahindra should see decent numbers.
Rest, Mahindra should focus on its marketing and generate as much buzz as they can around this.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 20:06   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Looks like the Tiguan and the XUV had a baby .

However, I feel some shots and angles in the TVC look much better than the pictures. IMO this design is more suitable to a car of bigger dimensions. Hope it looks better in flesh.
I had the exact same thought. I wish they had kept the original dimensions of Tivoli and launched it against Creta rather than targeting Brezza, Nexon & EcoSports. Atleast they should have sticked a spare like EcoSports on the boot as it may have made it look more proportionate IMHO.

I hope they price it a bit below the competition as both Nexon and Ecosports are great products and if they want to sell it in any significant no. they should not overprice it atleast.
Old 19th December 2018, 20:09   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra's Press Release:

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-1.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-2.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-3.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-4.jpg

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-5.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 21:36   #260
Senior - BHPian

The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli

I think its quite cleverly done by Mahindra. No one in India knows ssangyong and the Tivoli. It would have been pointless trying to create credibility for a car from ground up. By naming this XUV300, Mahindra establishes instant credibility and gets customers to relate to this immediately. And for sure the dealers would be delighted. The XUV500 is a good seller, has good market feedback and also has aspirational value associated with it to a certain extent. So im waiting for the Sales executives to pitch this as a mini XUV500, although there may not be any actual mechanical similarities between the two.

And lastly, Mahindra has shown restraint in design! This is not an overdone design like the KUV, even though the rear of the car does not gel with the front. However the design language is in the mould of the Brezza, SUV stance, blacked out A pillars, flat bonnet and all that is required for a car to pose as an SUV. And Im sure Mahindra will price it in the Brezza, Nexon territory. And I feel that it is the Nexon and the Ecosport who will cede some numbers, not so much the Brezza.

Last edited by motorworks : 19th December 2018 at 21:37.
motorworks is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 22:06   #261
BHPian

I like what I see! Nothing looks overdone, especially the interiors. The Marazzo's engine should give more than adequate performance for a vehicle of this class. I am very much looking forward to the launch and subsequent TD.

Mahindra had earlier gone one up on Tata with Xuv500. I think they may repeat the history with its younger sibling and it may get tough especially for Nexon.
Old 19th December 2018, 22:22   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

The extended DRL is overdone but otherwise it seems a mature design, almost bordering on boring. Even the interiors seem boring but pretty spacious. Another observation - the car seems low from a SUV point of view. Anyone knows what the GC figure is?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 00:17   #263
BHPian

This same 1.5L motor just won the engine of the year award at the Autocar India awards. Not a bad achievement from Mahindra.

Sadly, the lack of a modern automatic transmission or cooled seats means that this will fail to meet expectations north of 10-12L cars. When compared to the Brezza and other cheap SUVs, this should do well.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 07:48   #264
BHPian

If there is no AMT on offer, then it would be a deal breaker for me as even cheaper cars like Celerio offer one variant with Autos. I would then go back to my idea of buying the Brezza AMT.
Old 20th December 2018, 09:12   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The extended DRL is overdone .....

Amen! But the whole assembly - headlight, fog and the bridging DRL, does make it look almost the same as XUV500.
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-xuv300.jpg
The Mahindra XUV300, aka Ssangyong Tivoli. Edit: Launched @ 7.9 lakhs-xuv500.jpeg
See what I mean. Hopefully, the overdone DRL is confined only to the top end (I am going by my theory that the value proposition is normally more in the mid variants).
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:23   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Look almost the same as XUV500.
Agree. And that might be a big crowd puller with the masses.

Market loves boxy looking compact 'SUV' designs like Brezza, Creta, Compass etc over curvier designs like Nexon. This should give Mahindra a big edge over the TATA.

That Marazzo engine is competent enough, should be loaded with features in typical Mahindra style, looks spacious enough and the cabin should feel airy with the lighter colours and sunroof, looks like a good competition to Brezza if the price is not wrong.

Now if only Mahindra could get some crash test ratings in place before the launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 10:17   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Market loves boxy looking compact 'SUV' designs like Brezza, Creta, Compass etc over curvier designs like Nexon. This should give Mahindra a big edge over the TATA.
+1

Let's hope that XUV300 is offered with 1.5 engine, that so-called engine of the year from Autocar. XUV300's success will depend on two factors, proper pricing and NCAP safety rating. Ecosports, Nexon and Bezza are flying high with respectable safety ratings. All these three vehicles are constantly registering good sales number. XUV300 will require something special to beat these racehorses.

By the way, leave Ecosports, Nexon and Brezza aside, XUV300 will give the deathblow to Nissan kicks.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 11:03   #268
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I for one really like the design. Yes, it may be a bit overdone but nothing compared to the first iteration of the XUV500. And it is much much better than the quirky looking KUV100. However, it is the interiors which grabbed my attention. They have a certain class to them. Nothing looks overdone and it looks quite European in design. The steering for one, looks inspired from a Mercedes. My only complaint is a bit odd looking AC controls and the orange display for the ACC display which looks a bit odd. If it's priced well and comes loaded with features, it should give a tough competition to the Nexon and the Ecosport. Being a Mahindra, it is almost a given that it will be loaded with features at a VFM price.

I just hope that they plonk the 1.5 diesel from the Marazzo in this car.

Last edited by AYP : 20th December 2018 at 11:06.
Old 20th December 2018, 11:14   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Can XUV3OO displace Tata's Nexon and occupy the second slot in sales of the most growing compact SUV segment?
I believe this will do well, with the XUV branding, over the bulbous Nexon. I initially thought using the XUV name was a bad move, and would backfire like the Bajaj Discover fiasco, but the more I thought of it, it made sense.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 11:57   #270
BHPian

This is the first Mahindra I have liked minus the connecting DRLs. The interiors are clean and classy too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks