Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2018, 21:45   #556
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

I am moving from Delhi to Bangalore but don't know for how long. It could be for a long term as well. Can I pay road tax in Bangalore before completing one year without having an NOC from Delhi RTO? I know in that case I won't be able to register in KA without the NOC. WIll they allow paying lifetime road tax in KA on Delhi plates?
Old 25th March 2018, 09:54   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I am moving from Delhi to Bangalore but don't know for how long. It could be for a long term as well. Can I pay road tax in Bangalore before completing one year without having an NOC from Delhi RTO? I know in that case I won't be able to register in KA without the NOC. WIll they allow paying lifetime road tax in KA on Delhi plates?
Yes, you can. Paying road tax does not require a NoC. However why do you want to do that before the year is up ? I have been driving for nearly 2 years on WB plates and have not been stopped even once. Those days are gone. I paid the tax last year and am struggling to get KA number even though I have an NoC. Have already spent over 25k just to get the registration thanks to agents taking me for a ride, tax was 75k more. My suggestion is unless you want to sell the car, just use it for a year then decide. Get a PUC from Delhi just before you are transporting the car.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 11:30   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
However why do you want to do that before the year is up ? My suggestion is unless you want to sell the car, just use it for a year then decide. Get a PUC from Delhi just before you are transporting the car.
Thanks! I wanted to confirm that NOC is not required to pay Road Tax because otherwise I would have to get it before I move. I don't want to sell the car since I might need another one and mine is slightly old but in excellent condition with only 30K mileage. I have heard that the road tax rule might be waived entirely! How would getting a PUC help? Isn't the PUC taken in Bangalore valid?
Old 26th March 2018, 12:11   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I wanted to confirm that NOC is not required to pay Road Tax because otherwise I would have to get it before I move. I don't want to sell the car since I might need another one and mine is slightly old but in excellent condition with only 30K mileage. I have heard that the road tax rule might be waived entirely! How would getting a PUC help? Isn't the PUC taken in Bangalore valid?
PUC is valid all over India. The PUC would prove the car was in Delhi that time. So would help calculate the one year from then. Also make sure you have the invoice of the car. That would be used to calculate the tax.
Take NoC just before you decide to re-register else there is a Rs 500 fine for every month of delay to reregister the car from the date NoC was issued. I paid 5.5k just for penalty.
The benefit of waiting a year before paying tax is that the tax amount reduces by 4-5% each year the car get older by. Also if by chance we are lucky and common tax is implemented by then, you dont have to pay tax anymore.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 26th March 2018 at 12:15.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 12:25   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WIll they allow paying lifetime road tax in KA on Delhi plates?
Yes. You can pay the tax without Noc. But your registration no will not change.

Quote:
Have already spent over 25k just to get the registration thanks to agents taking me for a ride, tax was 75k more. My suggestion is unless you want to sell the car, just use it for a year then decide.
Quote:
Isn't the PUC taken in Bangalore valid?
Quote:
PUC is valid all over India. The PUC would prove the car was in Delhi that time. So would help calculate the one year from then.
Better yet, just drive the car out of state (Hosur maybe?) get a fuel receipt or a PUC or a toll receipt and keep it handy incase the cops ask you about out of state registration. Might seem a bit like skirting the law, but there is nothing legally wrong in this. The MV Act states as below, emphasis on the word 'Period':

Quote:
1)When a motor vehicle registered in one States has been kept in another State, for a period exceeding twelve months, the owner of the vehicle shall, within such period and in such form containing such particulars as may be prescribed by the Central Government, apply to the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle then is, for the assignment of a new registration mark and shall present the certificate of registration to that registering authority
Further, another provision also mentions the following -
Quote:
Subject to the provisions of section 47, a motor vehicle registered in accordance with this Chapter in any State shall not required to be registered elsewhere in India and a certificate of registration issued or in force under this Act in respect of such vehicle shall be effective throughout India.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 18:11   #561
BHPian

Quote:
The PUC would prove the car was in Delhi that time. So would help calculate the one year from then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Better yet, just drive the car out of state (Hosur maybe?) get a fuel receipt or a PUC or a toll receipt and keep it handy incase the cops ask you about out of state registration.
Wouldn't my mover's documents prove that the car was moved on a certain date? I am using Agarwal movers. Thanks for the tip about NOC penalty, I had anyway decided to not get it while moving!
Old 26th March 2018, 18:21   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can also look to buy a KA registered car in Del, if you can get a good one and take it with you. I use one and do regularly see quite a few of those in the NCR. That can save you a bit of headache
Old 26th March 2018, 20:51   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't my mover's documents prove that the car was moved on a certain date? I am using Agarwal movers. Thanks for the tip about NOC penalty, I had anyway decided to not get it while moving!
Yes, that would work as well.

Btw off topic: How much is it costing you for the car ? I am planning the opposite. Bangalore to Delhi
Old 26th March 2018, 20:57   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
You can also look to buy a KA registered car in Del, if you can get a good one and take it with you. I use one and do regularly see quite a few of those in the NCR. That can save you a bit of headache
Yeah, but hard to let go off a car I have cared for so dearly!

Quote:
Yes, that would work as well.

Btw off topic: How much is it costing you for the car ? I am planning the opposite. Bangalore to Delhi
It will cost me Rs 15.5 K via Agarwal who is supposd to be a premium mover.
Old 5th June 2018, 00:25   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Better yet, just drive the car out of state (Hosur maybe?) get a fuel receipt or a PUC or a toll receipt and keep it handy incase the cops ask you about out of state registration. Might seem a bit like skirting the law, but there is nothing legally wrong in this. The MV Act states as below, emphasis on the word 'Period':
I was wondering about this. I'm planning to move from Hyderabad to Bangalore. I may stay for more than a year, but certainly not staying in KA a year without travelling anywhere. I would be traveling to Hyderabad like say every 3 - 4 months in my car. In this case, can I just get the PUC done every time I visit HYD and show the latest fuel receipts extending the period by one more year from that date?

Last edited by Ryuu : 5th June 2018 at 00:26.
Old 5th June 2018, 10:50   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
I was wondering about this. I'm planning to move from Hyderabad to Bangalore. I may stay for more than a year, but certainly not staying in KA a year without travelling anywhere. I would be traveling to Hyderabad like say every 3 - 4 months in my car. In this case, can I just get the PUC done every time I visit HYD and show the latest fuel receipts extending the period by one more year from that date?
Absolutely. Its important to know your rights. Whenever stopped, don't start giving elaborate answers, keep it short, show the docs and ask if you can leave. And yes, being polite helps. If at all you are spotted frequently at the same place by the same bunch of cops, ask to speak to their senior and politely discuss the same. Just tell that you work all over India and are here for an assignment. Every 3-4 months you have to travel to new places and its not feasible to get a new registration every time. 99% of the times he will understand and let you go.

One tip, if you don't yet have a Fastag, get it. Over time the toll receipts could fade, but you can always carry a print out of your latest out of state trip incase someone stops you.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 11:51   #567

Hey everyone I know this topic has been over exhausted and a lot of forums on this but I need help.
1. I have a Q3 with a DL number as I am presently in delhi which I purchased in sep17
2. Also a 7 year old i20 with a MH 03 number which I have been driving in delhi without any hassels for the past 5 years.

Now I am moving to Bangalore for a 2 year project next month and would be moving back to delhi after.
I really dont want to cough up 5 odd lakhs for the audi for the KA LTT @93% Nor do I want to sell my i20 as of now .probably after my Bangalore stint.i need 2 cars as my wife needs 1 too.my queries are as follows:

1. The audi with DL number plates I know will be stopped repeatedly in Bangalore but would it be possible to use it for 11 months send it back to delhi keep it there for 3 months get a fresh PUC and a transporter note . So to show I havnt been in bangalore for 11 months continuously.amd do the same with my i20 I'll send it back to Bombay to my parents house and get it 're transported back after 3 months.
2. I don't paying the repeated transport costs as it would be far far lesser than paying the LTT.
3. I don't want the NOC from delhi for the audi as I don't intend change g my plates as I have to come back after 2 years and selling the audi would be a issue.and I don't want to pay double LTT is delhi and KA.

How strict are the Bangalore cops as on today?

And with the rumours of uniform road tax it doesn't make sense paying LTT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 11th August 2018, 13:23   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritz View Post
1. The audi with DL number plates I know will be stopped repeatedly in Bangalore
This is not the case in Bangalore. There is no "stopping repeatedly".
Old 11th August 2018, 18:49   #569

So should I go ahead with this plan of transporting my car to and fro from delhi after 11 months so as to avoid paying the LTT in KA. Is this plan feasible?
Old 11th August 2018, 19:33   #570
Senior - BHPian

@drritz - Make sure you have a PUC that is valid at all times. If necessary drive to another state and get it there if you don't want to show the car as being in Karnataka, but with the risk of being stopped greater for an out of state car, make sure the PUC is valid at all times. I am currently in Bombay with a Karnataka registered car and because I am not driving too much not facing hassles of document check, but overall you will not be stopped too frequently, just for the sheer volume of cars on the road. Don't change your plates if you don't want to. Just ensure you do a couple of drives out of state and keep the proof (tolls, service receipts if you choose to do so, etc.)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks