Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2018, 19:37   #571
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

I am moving my car from Kolkata to Bangalore, and I intend to pay the LTT right away. But, I have no intention of registering it in KA. I plan to keep my WB registration.

I have the transporter receipt, and have a recent PUC from Kolkata ready. My permanent address on all documents is also in Kolkata.

From the first page of the thread
Quote:
If the vehicle remains here for more than a year, you pay lifetime tax as laid out in the Motor Vehicles Act, and have your vehicle registered in Karnataka
Is it mandatory to get a KA registration after a year, or just paying the road tax is fine ?

I do not wish to get a KA registration, because I might end up moving the car back to Kolkata later, or maybe even other states as my job mandates.

Right now, my company is reimbursing the cost of Life Time Tax, so it does not make sense for me to not pay it.

Last edited by ts1506 : 11th August 2018 at 20:07.
Old 11th August 2018, 20:52   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
........Is it mandatory to get a KA registration after a year, or just paying the road tax is fine ?

I do not wish to get a KA registration, because I might end up moving the car back to Kolkata later, or maybe even other states as my job mandates.

Right now, my company is reimbursing the cost of Life Time Tax, so it does not make sense for me to not pay it....
Just pay the tax in the RTO nearest to your house - it isn't any cost to you anyway. Keep the receipt handy for any RTO officer stopping you for document check on the road - which has reduced greatly over the past year. Although, by just paying tax and not re-registering in KA, you are strictly speaking breaking the law. Enforcement is another issue altogether - KA RTO is usually happy seeing tax paid receipt, they don't bother with re-registration.
From what I have read on this forum, just paying LTT in Bangalore isn't a hassle at all. You just need to have all originals in place (RC, Insurance, Emissions).

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th May 2019 at 15:18. Reason: trimmed quoted post
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2018, 20:55   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritz View Post
So should I go ahead with this plan of transporting my car to and fro from delhi after 11 months so as to avoid paying the LTT in KA. Is this plan feasible?
Honestly, sounds overkill to me. If you want to do the drive for the sake of it, by all means go ahead. But don't do it just to avoid the LTT. See below too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
but with the risk of being stopped greater for an out of state car, make sure the PUC is valid at all times[...] Just ensure you do a couple of drives out of state and keep the proof (tolls, service receipts if you choose to do so, etc.)
There are two agencies that stop vehicles on the roads:

1. Traffic cops. They will stop you only if you violate any rule. And they would mostly charge you the fine and let you go (first time they might create your DB entry using the RC details). Yes, not having a PUC is a violation.

2. MVIs from the transport department. These have all but vanished from the roads after the KA high court threw out the controversial amendment to the law (they are now probably chasing the commercial vehicles that pass through Bangalore, a more lucrative way of spending their time). But if they stop you, they usually would have done their homework and your driving out of town just for a PUC once every few months wouldn't work.

If you have an accident on the road both these agencies will get involved and all bets are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
Is it mandatory to get a KA registration after a year, or just paying the road tax is fine ?
No. They care only about the money. But there are two points:

1. To pay the LTT you might be asked to produce the NOC from the original state (WB).
2. In general - it is my perception that you have a better experience on Bangalore's roads if you are driving a car with KA plates.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 00:18   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drritz View Post
Hey everyone I know this topic has been over exhausted and a lot of forums on this but I need help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Honestly, sounds overkill to me. If you want to do the drive for the sake of it, by all means go ahead. But don't do it just to avoid the LTT. See below too.
binand had pretty much answered your query.
The documents that you can produce to prove that you are here for less than an year are a PUC, transporter bills, insurance renewal, service records at home state etc. There was an question answered at KA HC or an RTI to RTO on what are the list of documents that can prove this if I remember this right; but I do not remember if this was answered. So the above mentioned proofs are based on common logic.

Now, the PUC is valid to 3 months if I remember right. The moment you take the PUC or do a service at KA, there is proof that your car has been here. The multiple entry clause is a contentions isssue. It would have been great if an yearly tax option was available.

Quote:
1. To pay the LTT you might be asked to produce the NOC from the original state (WB).
As you mentioned, RTO at KA just used to care about money, so NOC was not asked for during the hunt.

Last edited by glenmz : 13th August 2018 at 00:21.
Old 13th August 2018, 09:46   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Enforcement is another issue altogether - KA RTO is usually happy seeing tax paid receipt, they don't bother with re-registration.
From what I have read on this forum, just paying LTT in Bangalore isn't a hassle at all. You just need to have all originals in place (RC, Insurance, Emissions).
I have a TN registered Santro Xing. While driving to Malleswaram couple of weeks back, the cops stopped my car near Corporation. I pulled the car to the side, got out of my car, gave the documents along with my drivers licence to the cop without even uttering a word. All that I have is the insurance copy, RC book copy, copy of LTT paid in KA and the PUC. The cop went through these, gave them back to me and I was asked to go.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:12   #576
BHPian

Is the 1 year running rule applicable only for KA? Or for all states - particularly Telangana (Hyderabad)?

Is the life time tax and road tax different?

Last edited by ank.nsit : 22nd February 2019 at 06:14.
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:57   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Is the 1 year running rule applicable only for KA? Or for all states - particularly Telangana (Hyderabad)?

Is the life time tax and road tax different?
Its All India and 11 months as per the motor vehicles act. This was the ground under which the Karnataka amendment of 1 month was found to be legally incorrect.
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:21   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
What's the onground status wrt to outstate bikes being run in Bangalore? Planning to get my (TN) registered bike to Bangalore by end of this month. No visibility on stay duration; might be a few months to almost a year.
Old 13th May 2019, 15:13   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
What's the onground status wrt to outstate bikes being run in Bangalore? Planning to get my (TN) registered bike to Bangalore by end of this month. No visibility on stay duration; might be a few months to almost a year.
The only thing I have known is that the days of merciless "crackdown" are passe'.

Things since the last few years have got better. Also, regular commuter bikes didn't really catch the eyes of the men at work since it was mostly cars that would bring them the moolah.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:52   #580
Senior - BHPian

Todays The Hindu.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le27199148.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!-dwb.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 11:12   #581
VVN
BHPian

Apologies if this is off topic but my query is the other way round.

I have a KA registered City and have just moved to Bombay (2 weeks now). I am not sure how long I will be staying here. KA allows out of state cars to run on their roads for 12 months without an NOC or Road Tax. How long can you drive a KA registered car in Mumbai without any legal implications?
Old 4th September 2019, 08:52   #582
BHPian

I read through the threads and following is my query.

I'm moving to Bengaluru in another few days.
My 10 year old Diesel car is registered in TN and I would be shuttling between Bengaluru and Chennai; Bengaluru and Coimbatore once in every 3 or 4 months. But ultimately I will spend more time in Bengaluru.

I don't want to get into any hassle with local police and I believe it's better I pay the road tax.
What I'm confused is, at RTO site it states that I have to to pay 45% of my car values as road tax. But it doesn't mean if it's deprecated IDV or actual purchase value 10 years back.

Does anyone have idea on this?
Old 4th September 2019, 09:00   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
What I'm confused is, at RTO site it states that I have to to pay 45% of my car values as road tax. But it doesn't mean if it's deprecated IDV or actual purchase value 10 years back.
First, it is not 45% of car value as tax. It is 45% of the tax you'd have paid, had the car been bought today. So, if your car had cost 25L in 2009, then its today's tax @20% is 5L, and you have to pay 45% of that or 2.25L as LTT in Karnataka.

Second, it is not the IDV. You have to calculate the tax based on the original invoice value excluding discounts. If you are unable to produce the original tax invoice then the RTO makes some assumptions and come up with a number based on which you have to pay tax.

Third, it might be a more worthy cause to send that money to the CMDRF of any of the states reeling from floods this year.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 10:35   #584
BHPian

Quote:
First, it is not 45% of car value as tax. It is 45% of the tax you'd have paid, had the car been bought today. So, if your car had cost 25L in 2009, then its today's tax @20% is 5L, and you have to pay 45% of that or 2.25L as LTT in Karnataka.

Second, it is not the IDV. You have to calculate the tax based on the original invoice value excluding discounts. If you are unable to produce the original tax invoice then the RTO makes some assumptions and come up with a number based on which you have to pay tax.

Third, it might be a more worthy cause to send that money to the CMDRF of any of the states reeling from floods this year.
Thank you @binand, I just found about the calculation.

Regarding CMDRF, yes I agree with it and we do it via the organisation I work for. Still I don't think the police will leave me alone if I didn't pay road tax.
Old 4th September 2019, 10:44   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannan View Post
I would be shuttling between Bengaluru and Chennai; Bengaluru and Coimbatore once in every 3 or 4 months. But ultimately I will spend more time in Bengaluru.
Just keep toll records with you. Also if you can get the car's PUC and service done in TN, keep those handy as well. We used to use a UP reg car in Mumbai before we got our Punto back in 2009. No harassment of any kind (but checking yes). Once the cops realised we spoke Marathi they got super friendly.

Legally you can keep car in another state upto a continuous 1 year period before you need to change registration. By doing out of state trips, you break this 1 year time.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks