Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 07:02   #211
BHPian

re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

It is a 5 seater. Next gen Duster may get a 7 seater variant.
Old 29th August 2017, 08:27   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
7 seater variant for the 2018 Duster was ruled out,

link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:08   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
I'm personally hoping for a top spec petrol automatic at under ₹15 lac.
The petrol has an old school 1.5 MPFI engine good for 100 bhp and an antiquated 4-Speed automatic gearbox. Unless they have made specific changes for the Indian Spec version. Major power train combination changes are expensive and may not justify the low volumes they will do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
Renault calls it a premium SUV.
LOL, if the interiors, 1.5 Liter engine, and 4-Speed automatic are premium, I don't know what we should call the German or Japanese SUVs.

Renault doesn't understand that the Indian Consumer/Market is very different from when the Duster was launched. Duster virtually had no competition except from crude offerings from Mahindra and Tata. Todays game is completely different and especially in the CUV segment, the competition is really heating up. Jeep has raised the bar to a large extend.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:28   #214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Renault doesn't understand that the Indian Consumer/Market is very different from when the Duster was launched. Duster virtually had no competition except from crude offerings from Mahindra and Tata. Todays game is completely different and especially in the CUV segment, the competition is really heating up. Jeep has raised the bar to a large extend.
I differ, having visited the Renaut Tech Centre and understood how the Duster was re-tweaked for India, I disagree. In terms of keeping up with competition, I agree though.

Main thing will be to keep costs down through localisation. Expect the venerable 1.5 Dci engine to continue
Old 29th August 2017, 15:58   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I differ, having visited the Renaut Tech Centre and understood how the Duster was re-tweaked for India, I disagree. In terms of keeping up with competition, I agree though.
I have Duster 4WD myself and do understand that it is a fairly competent product. Renault has done an excellent job on the Power Train and suspension resulting in excellent driving and handling characteristics.

But, what I am referring to here is the Interiors that people expect from a vehicle that will cost 14+ lakhs on the road. Companies like Hyundai and even Maruthi have raised the bar and Renault Tech Center continues to play with exterior and seat colors for the Renault Duster.

Basically the Renault Tech Center made the following changes to the Indian Version: 1) made air bags smaller, 2) put the rear power window switch where your elbows will keep opening the window (Duster owner's who inhabit the rear will know what I am talking about), 3) added a massive condensor/blower unit in between the front seats sticking out into the rear seat. (This was mercifully removed). Besides this the core of the car is the same for the International version except for additional power train options.

Can you highlight one major improvement to the Duster after the launch besides the interior and exteriors colors? The Captur has the same outdated dashboard with zero cubby holes. The same power train, slightly more rear seat space and reduced boot space compared to the duster and they are expected to launch at a higher price point than the duster. I don't see how they will succeed, but let us wait and see.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:25   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
7 seater variant for the 2018 Duster was ruled out,

link
I can't see how a Duster can become a 7 seater. The rear doesn't have the space required to fit 2 more seats. The floor is simply too high for that in the back. 7 seats is not feasible with the current Duster monocoque. I don't think they'll make any changes with the primary structure of the car in the next version. Mostly will be more cosmetic/aesthetic improvements while milking the same platform.
Old 29th August 2017, 18:15   #217
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Renault needs a dud after the success of Kwid ! I am appalled on how far removed these manufacturers are from customer expectations. Its neither cheap nor premium.
Old 29th August 2017, 18:26   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen plenty Capturs in person over last couple of years daily. This is a good car, looks very different than what we are used to. Will be a welcome addition to the pretty much standard looking stuff we have here. I used to feel that Tata has picked up a trick or two from the Captur's design while drawing the Nexon.

However - if they price it anything above 15L OTR - it will not be worth it. At least the versions that I have seen do NOT have the length enough to fit 7. It will be strictly a very practical & useful 5 seater with plenty storage instead. Something that our market needs to accept as the optimum design. Thankfully our market accepted the Duster. We don't like large cars with plenty vacant space for storage. We want people everywhere possible in a car .

But again...not something to pay a heavy premium for. Especially not considering the price above 16L takes it well into Safari -> Hexa -> Compass territory.
Old 29th August 2017, 18:55   #219
BHPian

Teaser image ( Long length ) tells me that it is going to be offered in 7 seater layout? However, I personally feel Captur design best suits for 5 seater & not 7 seater.
If it is launched with same power train as Duster and with 7 seats, i am afraid it will be more of a MPV than a SUV Let's wait and watch!
Old 29th August 2017, 19:06   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The petrol has an old school 1.5 MPFI engine good for 100 bhp and an antiquated 4-Speed automatic gearbox. Unless they have made specific changes for the Indian Spec version. Major power train combination changes are expensive and may not justify the low volumes they will do here.

LOL, if the interiors, 1.5 Liter engine, and 4-Speed automatic are premium, I don't know what we should call the German or Japanese SUVs.

I completely agree with your points. The Indian market is indeed slowly but surely maturing. And yes - the CUV segment is going to witness fierce competition in the coming months- price points between 10 and 20 lacs will have many more options in the form of the facelifted S-cross and Ecosport aside from a newly launched Nexon, the king of the segment's lower reaches - the Brezza and going upwards to the hot selling Creta, the Hexa, the XUV and the Jeep Compass.
I think this "premium offering" from Renault will have it's work cut out as pointed above - especially if it features cost cutting measures like dated interiors, ancient 4 speed AT, India specific smaller airbags etc.

Last edited by wilful : 29th August 2017 at 19:13.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 21:04   #221
BHPian

Despite all this competition, if you’re in the market for a powerful, well specced petrol automatic with high quality interiors under ₹15 lac OTR for city driving, you have no options at all. It’s a pathetic state of affairs.
Old 29th August 2017, 21:46   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can you highlight one major improvement to the Duster after the launch besides the interior and exteriors colors? The Captur has the same outdated dashboard with zero cubby holes. The same power train, slightly more rear seat space and reduced boot space compared to the duster and they are expected to launch at a higher price point than the duster. I don't see how they will succeed, but let us wait and see.
Thats what I made clear in the last part of my sentence. Nothing was done in terms of product maintenance to keep up with the competition.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 22:10   #223
BHPian

If the Indian Captur is based on Russian/Brazil Kaptur platform, which is a cheaper platform, and not the European Captur platform then why is this being launched as Captur in India. Shouldn't this be launched as Kaptur. Renault should maintain ethics and not play around with people. If these are the games before launch then wonder what will happen post launch.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 09:53   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Despite all this competition, if you’re in the market for a powerful, well specced petrol automatic with high quality interiors under ₹15 lac OTR for city driving, you have no options at all. It’s a pathetic state of affairs.
Sorry for going
Well - actually there is the Hyundai Creta Petrol AT which should be in that region. Whether it is a powerful enough engine - I wouldn't know - but it appears to be decently kitted and the AT is a 6 speed torque converter.
And - further down there is the Ecosport Petrol AT which, of course, has its own set of weaknesses - that of a 'not fun to drive' engine, hard ride and smallish rear bench. But on the other hand it is solidly built, decent on safety and has a 6 speed dual clutch AT box.
But yes - it would be great to have something like the K/Captur giving a good petrol engine and AT gearbox for the Indian market.
Old 30th August 2017, 10:50   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
If the Indian Captur is based on Russian/Brazil Kaptur platform, which is a cheaper platform, and not the European Captur platform then why is this being launched as Captur in India. Shouldn't this be launched as Kaptur. Renault should maintain ethics and not play around with people...
Could be astrology/numerology; the name "Captur" carries more positive factors than "Kaptur".

The only other reason other than this I can think about is that there could be some legal hurdle behind it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks