Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 09:59   #361
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

In the Indian market, people still think that Tata Motors make cars like trucks and all look the same. Well, this is just the start of revolution from Tata Motors to change that perception and offer better products for a better value. Most of the customers I know are reluctant to visit Tata showroom to buy a car in this segment and prefer Celerio or i10 over Tiago. There is a gap between bringing customer to the showroom and then making a buying decision. When it comes to Celerio or i10, the visit to the showroom is simply for paper-work, the car is already mentally finalised by them. This is the big gap that Tata Motors is trying to close in terms of customer experience in showrooms and services. I am sure, once the customer comes in to look for Tiago, he/she will surely prefer Tiago over its competition.

Thumbs up to the Tiago !

PS : The only thing I didnt like about the car driving it for a couple of days was the smaller size of the steering wheel. Everything else is superb (for this price point I mean).
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 11:04   #362
BHPian

Congratulations to Tata and the Tiago for the coveted T-BHP Car Of The Year.

Tata has suffered more at the hands of their sales/marketing team than their quality control department. They either get their branding wrong (Indica Vista/Indigo Manza- the Indica/Indigo tag killed the product even before it could set off), or their pricing wrong (Aria).

They're finally back on track, despite failed attempts with Zest & Bolt (both very competitive products). They didn't give up. Way to go.

Wish I had these many choices when I bought the Waggy a few years ago.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:32   #363
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised at this result. TATA as car of the year and that too on Team BHP is very lets say different. Well good for them. My friend's elders sisters brand new Tata Bolt faced breakdowns twice. On both occasions it left her stranded on the road and had to be towed to the workshop. First occasion was due to some mechanical failure and the second was due to fuel leakage which TASS claimed was due to improper fitting of some fuel related component. The car is always serviced with TASS.

You just don't buy a car you also buy the service as well. If Tata deserves to be the car of the year on T-BHP then kudos to them, but they should live up to the expectations of the people and not let them down.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 12:14   #364
BHPian

I think it's great. It's not the first time a TATA car is COTY on team-bhp. Zest was car of the year because it changed our perception about TATA cars, and how they can actually be of great quality.

Now that the Tiago has been voted COTY, I think it is not only because TATA have sustained that quality, and are very honestly trying to improve their brand value in the market, but it has started to translate in sales. They have undercut the competition in terms of pricing, and value wise they are in some cases on par with a segment above. Well done TATA.
Old 28th December 2016, 13:58   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Hmm so a car which has :
- Mediocre engines
- Bad NVH

I guess sentiment has made this car such a success among us. But Tata owns Jaguar and Land Rover! Surely they could've made better engines and NVH levels?
Quote:
And my point was since Tata owns such great companies and has great financial muscle, they could've taken their time and improved the engine,NVH and their after sales. But guess what? They know the Indian mentality.

Some of us Indians apparently care about better features in the car than a better car.

There's a reason why Maruti cars are such a hit. They have less features but their engines are always peppy and after sales are the best in business.
Expecting technology or help from Jaguar/ Land Rover is probably the worst thing to do. It will cost them too dear and would have killed the product due to high costs.
Case in point is the VW Ameo- It costed VW 720 crores on adding/cutting a boot from the Polo/Vento repectively because it was completely done in Germany. That too on a 6 year old platform! I wonder what miracles they were expecting when they went about this exercise!

Tata is just around 19 years old! It's one of the younger companies and they're doing a very commendable job despite popular notions! Expecting anything more in this price range is like expecting a brand new MB C class at 15 lakhs!
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 15:18   #366
BHPian

Good to see that the car I researched for 4-5 months and finally bought has been acclaimed as TBHP COTY. Mind you I am not a first time buyer having owned many cars over the past 45 years. However, when I was looking for a small car to drive in Delhi which is a hell hole as far as roads manner and driving courtesy are concerned the best VFM was the Tiago. Frankly, if you had asked me last year would I buy a Tata car and despite some good feedback from a friend who as owned a Zest for over a year I would have said you are crazy - not me. Now I understand that for the Tiago they have a very high rating in JD Power survey - almost the best.

My detailed ownership review is in TBHP and hope many others buy and enjoy this car.

Hope Tata Motors keeps the momentum going and becomes the best car company in India. I want a homegrown company to be no:1 and not some Japanese or Korean company.
ashokabs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 16:26   #367
BHPian

Most of the customers I know are reluctant to visit Tata showroom to buy a car in this segment and prefer Celerio or i10 over Tiago. There is a gap between bringing customer to the showroom and then making a buying decision. When it comes to Celerio or i10, the visit to the showroom is simply for paper-work, the car is already mentally finalised by them. I am sure, once the customer comes in to look for Tiago, he/she will surely prefer Tiago over its competition.
The only bits to improve in Tiago is bigger steering wheel and better seats for the driver and co-driver with good thigh and shoulder support for long drives.
Old 28th December 2016, 16:29   #368
Senior - BHPian

Well deserved, I did not vote for it, but it was a close second. I hope Tata make a grand comeback with the Tiago and Hexa and forces global giants like Honda, VW and Toyota to price and equip and build their cars sensibly.
Old 28th December 2016, 18:27   #369
BHPian

Well deserved. Its the most value-for-money car in my opinion in India right now in this category. Whats stopping it from doing great sales figures? - Poor perception about Tata products.

This is the fruit of efforts put by Karl Slym of putting TAMO (Tata Motors) back on the positive track. Seems to be paying off.

Having test driven the Tiago petrol, I just think it needed a more refined petrol motor. But, all in all a great package.
Old 29th December 2016, 01:13   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm so a car which has :
- Mediocre engines
- Bad NVH
- Low Reliability
- Poor A.S.S.
is the most popular car on Team BHP!

I guess sentiment has made this car such a success among us. But Tata owns Jaguar and Land Rover! Surely they could've made better engines and NVH levels?

But then, it did take up it's segment one notch above thanks to it's surprising features (for the segment) and awesome looks hence is the car to beat! Congratulations Tata!
- Mediocre engines ? (Based on poor power delivery? Or as compared to others in the segment?)

- Bad NVH (Re-read all the reviews - 'V' factor mentioned definitely and also mentioned it was controlled with a software upate - Unanimously everyone has PRAISED the 'N' & 'H' factor as well controlled and nice)

- Low Reliability (Did I miss any posts about some niggles that cropped up? Please do highlight them, as I am planning to buy this car)

Quote:
Buddy, A.S.S. is one of the very important factors while buying a car. Ask Fiat. It's surviving in India by selling engines, not cars. Despite making the best driver cars and safe build quality.

Oh and IIRC, Fiat India is a jv with Tata, right?
What world are you living in dear sir?
That was over years ago!

In-fact after FIAT split and 'tried' to set up it's own dealer network and service network is when the sales slumped further.

Maruti & TATA both continue to use the 1.3 MJD Fiat Engine. That's about it.
Maybe a few more parts here and there. But JV !?

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
On one occasion I booked OLA, a new Tiago had come to pick me. Was excited to see how it is, however brand new car was having so many creaking noises from everywhere and ride quality was not great either. Its not even a good looking car!

I wonder what makes it COTY?!
WOAH !
That is serious news. Which CITY?
I thought Tiago was white board only. Never heard of a Tiago taxi. Extremely interesting.
Could you please shed some more light. This should be questioned with authorities in TML. How did Tiago make it to Yellow plates!

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 29th December 2016 at 01:22. Reason: Multi-quoting
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 14:25   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
What world are you living in dear sir?
That was over years ago!
Not to contest you, but the plant at Ranjangaon is still a JV between Fiat and Tata for producing both Tata and Fiat cars. Sales and Service are seperate. I believe, though I am not sure, FIAPL board still has board members from Tata Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
WOAH !
That is serious news. Which CITY?
I thought Tiago was white board only. Never heard of a Tiago taxi. Extremely interesting.
Could you please shed some more light. This should be questioned with authorities in TML. How did Tiago make it to Yellow plates!
There are Tiago cabs in Delhi - NCR, I have seen them. One should never believe "authorities" when they say "this car is not for taxi market". As per TML, Vista, Bolt, Zest, Tiago, Manza were all supposed to be "white plate" and I have seen yellow-plate cabs for these cars in Delhi NCR within months of launch. Same with Sail, Sail U-Va, Mobilio etc etc.
Old 29th December 2016, 14:41   #372
MCR
BHPian

Congrats to Tata Tiago!

I did not vote this time because I really did not see any real path breaking technology being introduced in the Indian Car market.
Even though Ford Endeavor was launched with auto parking mode, I am not sure if its the first one in Indian market.
Similarly Honda Accord Hybrid and Jaguar XC90 Plug-in Hybrid (not in the list above) were not cars with path breaking technology feature.

Waiting for 2017 to see what advanced technology features would be introduced in the Indian car market!
Old 29th December 2016, 15:15   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
There are Tiago cabs in Delhi - NCR, I have seen them. One should never believe "authorities" when they say "this car is not for taxi market". As per TML, Vista, Bolt, Zest, Tiago, Manza were all supposed to be "white plate" and I have seen yellow-plate cabs for these cars in Delhi NCR within months of launch. Same with Sail, Sail U-Va, Mobilio etc etc.
I am not really sure what is the big deal if a car is also a popular taxi. More than anything else, it is an endorsement of the longevity and low maintenance costs of the car. Also, it would be wrong to judge a car which is being used commercially because mostly they are abused and ill maintained.
Old 29th December 2016, 19:58   #374
BHPian

Surprise, surprise I drive about 1200 km per month but in the past 6 months have seen only 2 Tiagos on the road other than mine in Delhi. Have yet to come across an Ola Tiago. Will keep my eyes peeled!
Old 29th December 2016, 20:10   #375
Senior - BHPian

A worthy winner even though I didn't vote for it. I took a TD (niece wanted to buy) and I was impressed with the finish. Looks and feels like an European car. My brother has also decided to book one for his sales manager. As I was driving home I crossed a newly delivered Tiago. I wonder if the owner knew he was driving the Car of the Year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks