Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 13:48   #226
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Voted for the Tiago.

Whenever I spot a tiago on the road, which is more frequent day by day, I see that 9 out of 10 times, its a youngster. If 30's also count as young. :P

Out of the few people I know who bought Tiago, most are first time buyers.

This is true in Bangalore and in Kochi.

In this age of free information, people who utilize the internet most have taken an informed decision to buy it despite the stories associated with the brand.

Just my observation and inference.

Personally, a happy owner of the Tiago so far.
Old 14th December 2016, 14:34   #227
Senior - BHPian

Zest was the car of the year in 2014 but isn't much of a success. Tiago is headed that way. One hopes it doesn't follow Zest in that. Going is good for it as if now.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 15:35   #228
BHPian

The trend is quite clear and if something drastic doesn't happen, below are the top finishers:

Car Votes %age
Tata Tiago 585 43.0%
Ford Endeavour 288 21.2%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 162 11.9%
Toyota Innova Crysta 97 7.1%
Skoda Superb 48 3.5%
Others 180 13.2%
Total 1,360 100.0%

Just the way I had predicted my top-3 (self-praise )
Old 14th December 2016, 20:39   #229
BHPian

Guys, sorry for this noob query. How do I vote for COTY 2016? I didn't find any options in my mobile, it's a Samsung Note 5.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th December 2016 at 00:21. Reason: Please use proper punctuation, and avoid typing with excessive...dots...like...this.
Old 14th December 2016, 20:51   #230
BHPian

I was confused between the Endeavour and the Tiago. Finally, picked the Tiago because it is a well rounded package in terms of Price-Performance-looks.
Old 14th December 2016, 21:09   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
Guys....sorry for this noob query....how do I vote for coty2016....I don't find any options in my mobile,it's a Samsung note 5.
Thx
You can't vote in the mobile App. Either go to the website on computer or mobile website form your mobile.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 15:14   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if I am the only one but none of the launches push the right buttons for me -- in terms of creating a new market niche, re-defining the segment, or just a great "all-round" product in context of the market / compared to rest in the segment. Each of the usual culprits being shortlisted have some or the other critical "weak link" for me.

My shortlist would have been:

# Brezza: A compact SUV but lacks in build quality & features in lower trims. No petrol option. Would have been my choice for COTY if launched 3 years ago.

# Tiago: OK product but is it really re-defining the segment? (like kwid did in entry level segment?). OK, it's bringing in numbers for Tata but that's not enough reason for me.

# Endeavour: My closest choice to COTY. With great features (especially the Terrain Response) & engine combinations. However, with the new Fortuner, the difference between them is minimal. The new Fortuner is a vastly improved product and and we know that Furtuner will be a big number churner for Toyota. Ford isn't helping the cause either with delivery backlog Also, will I buy this new? No way. This is a car I would prefer buying used and not new.

# Isuzu D-Max V-Cross: Yes, is a segment defining product but that segment is itself very very niche. That plus a thin dealer network + it's suitability for Indian market doesn't let me chose this for COTY

So, will abstain from voting this time :- )
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 16:17   #233
BHPian

For me it is Ford Endeavour - A full size SUV having great road presence and butch looks. I liked the last row electric fold feature the most. Apart from that the new 3.2 engine seems to be quite responsive. Would prefer the back look to be better like Fortuner.

I am happy that Tata Tiago is winning here. Good going Tata. All eyes on Hexa now hope COTY 17 will be Hexa.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 21:44   #234
BHPian

Voted for e2o plus.

Because electric cars are the future of mobility and such a fine effort by an indigenous company, is really commendable. Addition of rear doors and spacious rear seats make e2o plus a more complete package. Whats more the additional travel range and fast charging is the icing on the cake and now one can really use intracity electric car on daily basis. Hats off to you Mahindra Electric.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2016 at 09:50. Reason: Language
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 15th December 2016, 23:03   #235
BHPian

Ford Endeavour for me. Excellent SUV, great road presence, nice features on offer.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th December 2016 at 23:32. Reason: Typo corrected
iFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 23:29   #236
BHPian

I have voted for Tiago, reason? i will like to share it with this long story.

A look at the results and votes all these Cars received reinforces my belief in the very basic tenets of success in profession "LOVE YOUR JOB".

Care for the smallest things, and detailing to the point of perfection in Tiago, Endeavour and in some of the niche products like V cross (got more votes then Fortuner) even Superb or a Volvo, goes to show that people who worked on these products loved their jobs, loved the projects they were working on and products they were making.

LOVE: it gives you the energy to focus, work hard, persevere, go the extra mile when everybody else gives up, it generates passion, so much, to drag you to the point of being called a Psychopath, in Punjabi we call these people as "SUNKY". So being a Sunky is not always a bad thing, learn to channelize this energy and you are on track for better times.

Now look at the products at the bottom of the table: VW Ameo, Hyundai Elantra, Tucsan etc. These are good products, may be even better then the winners, but they just lack that feeling. They feel like assembly line products. An Engineer woke up, brushed his/her teeth, had breakfast, went to office and made an Ameo/Elantra or a BRV. They just feel like an Iphone 7; its good, maybe best, but lack the Aura of erstwhile iphones 4/5 or even 6.

Results also depict another important aspect of human behaviour: we love UNDERDOGS. Think about it, if Hyundai would have made Tiago, Toyota made Endeavour/V Cross, or Superb gets it name changed to Audi A6, would they have got those Votes? Nope, for sure. We like people/products who punch above their heights. we love people who challenge their limits and break them. We didnt loved Ishaan Awasthi of 'Taare Zameen Par' because he came first in class but because despite being Dyslexic he could just read and write. So majority votes for Tiago are not because its exceptional product, but because its a good product made with great effort by our very own Tata.

Summary of the story: as a Businessmen in general and in the business of manufacturing in particular, i hear this thing in our Factory meetings, fraternity get togethers or pep talk by seniors, 'that the mantra of success is to "love your job" and the results of our poll proves the point.

Side note; good thing about getting old is, you get wiser, and develop an appetite for distributing Free Gyan

Thankyou, for tolerating

Last edited by amit_snk : 15th December 2016 at 23:31. Reason: comma missed
amit_snk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 17:03   #237
BHPian

My vote is for ford endeavour. The features offered are excellent! On a peer comparison, I feel that this is a VFM.
yogeshbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 17:41   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Not sure if I am the only one but none of the launches push the right buttons for me -- in terms of creating a new market niche, re-defining the segment, or just a great "all-round" product in context of the market / compared to rest in the segment. Each of the usual culprits being shortlisted have some or the other critical "weak link" for me.
Well sir, this have been the case with pervious Tbhp COTY winners as well. We may have to think about all the cars debuting this year and choose the one which had the biggest impact, not only in the respective segmants but overall too. There is a reason that a car upwards of 15 lakhs fails to win COTY award. Simply, you can put whatever gadgetry and luxuries with increasing price, but those cars will remain relatively insignificant to the Indian Auto market - where >50% of all cars sold are hatchbacks.

Tiago is leading, partly because it is launched in an already heavily competitive segment, where MS is practically owning the segment, where the customers are very very price sensitive and demand more of everything with lesser money. Now consider what Tiago offers against its rivals (which are many) and one could sense good performance that Tiago is having, both in what it offers and how it is selling (or rather, managing to sell amidst Maruti bestsellers and chart toppers).
Old 17th December 2016, 17:42   #239
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I voted for Toyota Fortuner.

Reason - I have booked one and waiting for its despatch from factory.
Old 17th December 2016, 18:29   #240
BHPian

Of the list, 2 contenders have actually left a deep impression on on me.

The Vitara Brezza : A dual tone car from Maruti! I had never expected them to land so far out of their comfort zone. But they did it. A phenomenal success too. Yes it has shortfalls, but you have to laud Maruti for making such a product.

The Tiago : What a beauty Tata produced in this. The lovechild project of Nano did not see as much attention to detail as this product. Was miles ahead of competition in most aspects. Yes i wont ever buy a Tata in my life. But when they produce a product which is envy to the competitors, that is an appreciable thing.

Even Maruti now pays attention interior plastics, fabric and infotainment systems in small cars. Wants a tie up with Harman. Hats off to Tata for getting that done with their Zest, Bolt and Tiago.

My vote for that reason goes to the Tiago. Looks like similar sentiments have showered on this car this time around. Wish people who vote also get a heart enough to buy the product and support this genuinely good effort.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th December 2016 at 14:45. Reason: Corrected typos.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks