Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2016, 18:59   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

I am undecided hence not voting yet.

However two products standout for me.

1. Tata Tiago- Every time one passes by, I cannot help but admire the chic looks. Interiors seem well appointed and finally I think we have a car that has it in itself to turn around the fortunes of Tata Motors. I am not too worried about the lackluster engines (they are OK for the course) nor the car being a rare Tata that can't seat 3 in the back. The segment it is in and with the value it brings to the table, this is one car that will go the right direction for Tata. If this is the sign of things to come and the new Hexa to be launched next year, I think Tata is on its way up.

2. Ford Endeavor- If there was one SUV on Indian roads that intimidated me by its butch looks, it was the Fortuner. Well that was until we got the New Endeavor. What more, it manages to look chic too along with being Butch. I am not in the market for a big SUV, I don't think I will be in the near future either to buy a car in this segment. But hearing all the praises for this car, it is one hell of a desirable product. Takes a lot for an SUV in Indian context to match the fortuner when it comes to desirability.

Don't know which car to vote among these. Will sit on the fence for the time being I guess.
Old 8th December 2016, 19:32   #152
Senior - BHPian

Looks like majority have been stuck between two extremities-the humble Tiago and the brawny Endeavour. Is this because of herd mentality or are these cars are really that good? Well the sales chart says a very different story.
IMHO the cars is question are actually the best in segment. What surprises me is scars like Innova,Fortuner which are setting the sales chart on fire are no way near the COTY toppers.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 20:12   #153
BHPian

Have always been an Endeavour fan. Not only road presence and sturdy looks, but I got impressed by the Auto Parking feature installed in the new one. Experiencing it is in my wish list. Voted for Endeavour, hands down.
livetodrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:21   #154
BHPian

Unpopular option, but I voted for the VW Polo GTI.

Every other car is a better version of an existing car, or new car in same segment. This almost carved a class for itself. Only comparsble to the Mini, performance wise.

Finally, a true hot hatch. Unapologetically, unabashedly hot.

Last edited by rageshgr : 8th December 2016 at 22:23.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:53   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a tough time picking which car to vote for. Of all the cars featured here, I have driven only the GLC and sat in only the GLC and the Crysta. Finally picked the Crysta because it is an unqualified success despite its high price.

Was glad to see the Tiago winning so far - Tata Motors has created a beautiful car, and one does not hear the horror stories one heard with previous Tata cars. Hope a victory here and some more awards will induce buyers to give it a chance.

The other cars I considered were the new Superb and the GLC. The new Superb looks amazing, and is feature packed. I am pretty sure that if I had visited Autobahn to test it, I would have closed my new car hunt then and there. But after 6.5 years driving the Superb, it was time to upgrade - and how can I vote for a car that is in the segment I may consider but will not buy.

The GLC in many ways is a winner - the diesel is better than even the X3 20d in short sprints, the petrol is refined and presumably will be a hoot to drive given a suitable road, interiors are fantastic, and the Launch Edition CBU was feature packed. But the CKD has been grossly derated (no off-road modes unlike what our review says, no memory seats, only a 2 zone AC, no electric tail gate), and there are some other basic omissions. Unlike the X3 and the Discovery Sport. Hill Descent Control is omitted. Unlike in other markets, Mercedes has provided ordinary tubeless tires instead of Extended Mobility. Navigation is a paid add on even in the Sport. And the boot struggles to squeeze in even 2 mid size (24") bags, as the tire occupies most of the space.

The Jags are just too niche to win such a poll - so Crysta it was.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:54   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Tiago. What a transformation Tata has brought in its portfolio in the last few years starting from the wonderfully put together Zest to the Tiago now. I was blown away by the interior design, built and finish of the vehicle. And the price tag compared to the features being provided will put even my 30L+ BMW to shame without a second thought.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:55   #157
BHPian

Endeavour for me takes the cake. Have owned the 3.2 Titanium since August and I am so happy with my decision. True no car is perfect and every car has its flaws but Ford has done an exceptional job with the New Endeavour.

Brezza for me comes a close 2nd. Barring the underpowered engine its very well equipped with Maruti's unbeatable service network to back it up.

Tucson could have made things interesting but the pricing pushes it into a bracket that it shouldn't be in
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 00:38   #158
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tiago.
My fondness for Tata cars aside there are various factors behind this decision.
Previously, Tata gave us Manza which was good, then Zest which was great but both failed to revive the company cos they still weren't better than the competition in most things.

Tiago has given them the push they desperately needed. Precisely cos it's an amazing product at an amazing price in its segment. Be it build quality or features it's right with the best. Reliability is the only question which time will answer. Heartening thing is buyers realizing their tremendous effort and turning it into good sales numbers. People are so involved in Hexa buzz cos Tiago created a good rapport.

Endeavour is a great product as well. But, it can be expected from Ford. So does a Brezza from Maruti, a Superb from Skoda, an Ameo from VW but no one expected or believed in something like Tiago from Tata. That's why it's my COTY.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 02:59   #159
BHPian

Its the Mahindra E2O Plus for me.

Reason: It is a bold attempt in a freakingly cut throat market. I feel we need to give it to M&M for their sheer insistence on continuing to make (and develop) electric cars in India, even if they are almost paying customers to buy them. The car might look silly or even perform silly when compared to the likes of a Tesla, but this is the beginning of the patient game. It is not practical to the likes of (judging by the popular vote) Tiago nor overwhelming to own like the Endy, but it surely provides a chance for the common man who wants to 'walk their talk' when it comes to Electric cars.

One more final thought, all other cars are made by the OEM for the customers to experience but this is the car that is made by the OEM for their self-learning.
vivee90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 04:59   #160
BHPian

My vote is outrageous, because it's the least practical of the lot, but IMHO, a complete car. Thats the 2016 Accord folks. Its the #1 selling midsize sedan in the US for a reason. I know people in India will be forced to pay a mini fortune for this one, but I'm not voting for it on practicality just in the Indian market. Price aside, this is one terrific car.
studentonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 08:10   #161
BHPian

For me surely it has to be the Tata Tiago, a complete package of beautiful looks, nice interioirs, bells and whistles, properly put up with an amazing price tag which makes it accessible to all looking for a competent and reasonable hatch. The car drives well as well and Tata has really woked hard on the quality of this product.

Way to go Tata, hope more good things are coming from your stable keeping in mind the common Indian.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:19   #162
BHPian

I voted for Tiago. Because:

1. Indian
2. Tata understood customer demands and created a product from scratch + being updated is another positive
3. Commuter friendly engines and features
4. Great looks and best suited for young families and singles
5. value for money

Hope this car does well.

Z
Old 9th December 2016, 09:34   #163
BHPian

Hello friends,
I have voted for Tiago, several reasons for it:

Very good practical car

Value for money

Tata Motors have done a fantastic work to revamp themselves with this Indian product

For my first car, i had skipped Vista, went with general opinion that Tata's dont know to make cars. Then starting with Bolt, Zest and now Tiago, this impression is changing in people and definitely with me. Therefore to come up as an underdog, redefine the perception of the brand and come up with a product like Tiago. Moving forward Hexa, Kite and Nexon are surely going to raise the bar further.

My good wishes to Tata Motors and Tiago for the COTY 2016.
Old 9th December 2016, 09:58   #164
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Ford Endeavour.

Even though Tiago is equally a COTY candidate for me, I chose the Endeavour only because it is trying to break the monopoly of the Fortuner in the segment it belongs to. Endeavour looks damn good and has amazing road presence. In fact, I will be little adventurous and say that Endeavour looks better than the Fortuner. Along with the great looks, the price is also very good considering the competition.

Only small problem is the Ford dealership experience. At least in Pune, not all Ford dealers are good, based on my own experience. There is a lack of finesse in the sales team IMO.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 10:32   #165
BHPian

Tiago it is. No two cents about it. A very competent product. Tata is going all out to prove they can make great cars, and they have managed it. Sales also reflect that. Now only ASS has to improve and some public have to shed the "but its a Tata/Tata is taxi" attitude.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks