Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2016, 10:45   #166
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

I voted for Ford Endeavour. Reason:

1. Personally I like the beasty look
2. The price point is more VFM
3. My next upgrade will most certainly will be this!
Srikanthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 10:48   #167
BHPian

Voted for Tiago

I guess most of the reasons are already explained by others.

One of the most important reason is it has satisfied the 'Indian' in all of us.Period.
Old 9th December 2016, 10:59   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

More than 1000 votes polled and Tiago is having a good lead against Endeavour.

Tiago : 42 %
Endeavour : 22%
Brezza : 11 %
Old 9th December 2016, 11:30   #169
BHPian

Voted for Ford Endeavour.

For me it was between Innova Crysta and Endeavour. In the end, the VFM appeal of Endeavour at that price point was a clincher for me.

Butch looks, plush interiors, good safety features and a very reasonable price makes it a compelling buy.
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 12:25   #170
CPJ
BHPian

Voted for Tata Tiago!
The sheer VFM that Tiago offers along with great build quality and equipment list, made me choose it as the Team-Bhp Car of the Year.
Tata Motors have really upped their game and it shows with the type of competent products they have launched. It's just the after sales service that has to consistently improve to give a smooth and hassle free experience to all its customers.
Old 9th December 2016, 12:59   #171
Senior - BHPian

After lot of deliberation chose Tiago. The other top contender in my mind was Endeavour. Main criterias that I had
  • Good sales numbers
  • Differentiation being offered against competition esp in terms of technology and features
  • Value for money (relative term)
  • How challenging is the competition

The last point is where scales tip over for Tiago. The entry level hatch is fairly crowded segment and being able to carve space our there in front of Maruti and Hyundai is no small feat. Kudo Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Looks like majority have been stuck between two extremities-the humble Tiago and the brawny Endeavour. Is this because of herd mentality or are these cars are really that good? Well the sales chart says a very different story.
IMHO the cars is question are actually the best in segment. What surprises me is scars like Innova,Fortuner which are setting the sales chart on fire are no way near the COTY toppers.
I dont think its herd mentality. Agree that Innova and Fortuner are best sellers, but then what are the newer versions doing to being revolutionary vs. evolutionary.

Side thought, underdogs are always backed more

Last edited by supertinu : 9th December 2016 at 13:05.
Old 9th December 2016, 13:06   #172
BHPian

Voted for the Tiago, after deliberating between it and the Endy for the past 3 days. What helped the Tiago clinch it was how it has managed to create a space for itself in the extremely crowded segment, where buyers can upgrade/downgrade a segment at not a very significant cost. And it has done that without comprimising on quality of the car build.

And Tiago has still managed to settle at doing nearly 6k units a month, which is fantastic for the brand and its revival.

The Superb as well was another launch which caught the eye, but considering all the points, the Tiago just clinched it.
Old 9th December 2016, 13:18   #173
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tiago.

1) Well Engineered, solid hatch. The car feels nice and fit, finish have taken a step ahead. Doors feel solid than what most contemporaries offer. Safety pack adds value to the package. However, Tata can add ABS to the safety pack list.

2) VFM. What most of other competitors miss out on. The middle variants are great entry point even for first time buyers. Diesel is good option in that range.

3) Accomplished ride adds to comfort. Though it may or may not be a segment leader, the ride is quite good I found.

A VFM price tag for reasonably well built car, available diesel and a ride which doesn't crash. A nice option to all in that price range, and I feel good for Tata.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 13:20   #174
BHPian

It was a tough battle, the mind says TATA Tiago but the heart wanted to vote for the Ford Endy. IMO both are value for money products, both the vehicles show significant improvements for the company.
Finally chose the TATA Tiago just because TATA has grown so much as a passenger vehicle manufacturer.
Old 9th December 2016, 14:21   #175
BHPian

Voted for Isuzu D Max, as they are trying to create a new segment of urban pick up or a getaway truck, which is as of now, very low in our country. Tata tried it and also Mahindra tried it. Hoping that Isuzu really succeeds!
Old 9th December 2016, 14:45   #176
srh
BHPian

I voted for the Maruti Vitara Brezza. It has shaken up a segment that didn't indicate competitive pricing earlier. It is a fairly well rounded package, has been a market success and has forced rivals into re-looking their pricing
Old 9th December 2016, 14:48   #177
Senior - BHPian

I have just one thing while voting for the Car of the Year each time - what does this car offer for the segment it is in? And this time IMHO, the Tiago took some effort to "redefine" its segment (like the Kwid did for the A segment) and hence voted for it.

It has no direct competition, as it is priced like the Celerio, built like a Grand i10, rides like a nice little German hatch, had music system worthy of an Octavia, and has fit and finish that has helped Tata turn its image around. Hence I really think the Tiago has created its own space inside the entry B segment... Yes, we all wish the petrol engine was more refined, (and also wish it had a better name )but overall the car sticks clicks somehow.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 9th December 2016 at 14:51.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 15:06   #178
BHPian

Here’s how my voting went:
  • Round 1: Removed cars which I believe are not very relevant in the market, i.e. the expensive cars. These were BMW X1, Honda Accord Hybrid, Audi A4, Jaguar XE, Mercedes GLC-Class, Jaguar XF, Volvo S90
  • Round 2: Removed cars which are in a standalone segment altogether. These were Mahindra e2o Plus, Isuzu D-Max V-Cross
  • Round 3: Removed cars which I believe are duds / will become duds along with cars which I believe aren’t worthy of the COTY tag. These were Mahindra KUV100, Volkswagen Ameo, Honda BR-V, Volkswagen Polo GTI, and, Datsun Redi-GO, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Tucson
The cars which remained were Tata Tiago, Maruti Vitara Brezza, Toyota Innova Crysta, Ford Endeavour, Skoda Superb, Toyota Fortuner. Of these, I wanted to look at cars which have either revolutionized their parent company, or disrupted their segment. This meant elimination of Toyota Innova Crysta, Skoda Superb, Toyota Fortuner, Maruti Vitara Brezza, and shortlisting of Tata Tiago, Ford Endeavour. Brezza would have made it but if it was launched prior to, or along with the EcoSport.

The final choice was a tough one:
  • Tiago looks to have changed Tata’s fortunes, and how! If they can quickly (and sensibly) launch Hexa, Kite and Nexon, this can be a company which could dominate no 3 position and perhaps even challenge Hyundai for the no 2 slot.
  • The Endeavour is the one I have shortlisted as my COTY because it’s fun, rides awesome and has quite a few bells and whistles. In fact, I am strongly considering this car as my next purchase because my factory is in an area where roads are pathetic. Also, this is the only competition to Fortuner and could play a part in keeping Toyota’s insane pricing strategy under check. If only someone could launch an Innova competitor soon, or Hexa proves its mettle!

Selecting a car, I put it down to what I see myself wanting to buy. Endeavour was the one and hence it got my vote.

DISCLAIMER: Above is my personal opinion and not open for scrutiny!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 9th December 2016 at 15:12. Reason: Disclaimer added
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 15:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tata Tiago - Finally a good looking & VFM Indian car!
Old 9th December 2016, 15:30   #180

For me the COTY should be one which is not only a good product in isolation but also something which was accepted by the public reflected by good sales numbers. But most of all COTY should be a product, relevant to the masses, which sets a definite course for future that the industry will follow inspired by COTY's success and acceptance.

Tiago is a worthy contender for being an absolutely stonking package at a crazy VFM price point while at the same time posting decent and consistent sales numbers.

But Tiago is not my COTY !!!

The fact that it changed Tata's fortunes ideally should not even qualify as a criteria to judge it as COTY because this depends on public's perception of the car. Zest failed to put Tata on track, yet it was COTY 2014. On the other hand while recent Tata products like Colt were a failure - fact is that share price of Tata increased and it registered a year on year profit last fiscal year thanks to big sale of Land Rovers in China. My point being Tata did not need rescuing as a manufacturing company nor has Tiago saved it from impending doom.

Fact of the matter is that impact of Tiago on industry is going to be very minor. At best, the success of Tiago is going to hammer in the point that Indian customers want VFM, mileage and image. And even this point will not be accepted by Maruti and Hyundai since their products are already doing well.

Brezza - on the other hand now! Is it a well rounded, excellent package in isolation - yes! Is it popular in the market - yes! But look at its impact on the industry - future sub-compact SUVs are lined up like people at ATMs these days! Tata Nexon, Mahindra Tivoli X100, Hyundai Carlino, Jeep C-SUV and even the Maruti Ignis (hey if KUV100 is SUV then so is Ignis - do not debate me on this as this is off topic). Yes Hyundai Creta was the pioneer and was indeed lapped up by public but it was and is overpriced. The success of Brezza has spurred the industry into a new segment just like the sub 4m rule did. Creta is arguably better than Brezza - but its the success of Brezza which has accelerated this segment rather than success of Creta.

Hence my vote goes to Brezza.

Would I buy the Brezza, unfortunately no - but that has (and should have) zero consequence on my vote decision.

For the above mentioned reason - my second vote would go to - Isuzu D-max V-cross. Excellent package - check. Sales dud - probably. Impact on future - potentially massive but practically will be tiny.

Last edited by noopster : 9th December 2016 at 16:32. Reason: Refer mod note below- please restrict your comments to your choice and reasons thereof
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks