Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2016, 19:07   #46
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Voted for Tata Tiago for the following reasons:
1. Great looking hatchback with good fit and finish.
2. VFM compared to competition
3. Belongs to Tata's comeback vehicle line up.
4. Indian car maker
Old 7th December 2016, 19:20   #47
Team-BHP Support

I decided to vote for Tiago.

Why?

When I say that this car is my choice for the COTY award it has to have something that either redefines the segment or does something that changes the narrative for its manufacturer and the users. In other words it has to have something that makes it clearly stand out and make its presence felt.

When I look into the current set of the cars we have to pick from it is a rich mix. The new Endy for the way it takes the fight into the competitor's camp or the Innova that ups the ante in the UV segment or for that matter the Brezza that seems to have created a long wait list. They all are substantial. Yet they also are just incremental in nature either for the segment or for their manufacturer. Yes, Brezza in my opinion comes close because it opens up a segment for its manufacturer where it was not present earlier. And it does so in style! Not only is this Maruti's first real go at the SUV segment, without counting the GV earlier which was more ceremonial in nature or the Gypsy that came much before the SUV rage engulfed India. But also because this is a product in whose creation the India team at Maruti had a substantial role to play.

The other big choice is of course the Tiago. Now this is a diminutive looking car that single handedly stopped the free fall of its manufacturer through what seemed like a bottomless abyss. When Tata was finding it tough even to get footfalls into its showrooms let alone getting people to have a look and a drive of its comparatively decent products like Zest and even Bolt to an extent suddenly Tiago started pulling people in by its sheer capabilities. A small, beautiful looking hatch that was not only zippy but also made people wonder about its origins Tiago has started changing the story. For the first time in years Tata finds itself in the happy situation of having some sort of a waitlist for its product. In fact the last month Tata finally beat Mahindra to occupy the 4th slot in the sales ranking mainly due to the consistent 6k numbers that Tiago is doing. Tiago by the sheer leap of its construction quality, offerings package and value for money has redefined the segment. It has also energized Tata to finally look forward and plan products that can help them aim higher still.

My choice for the COTY is definitely Tiago!
Zappo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 19:25   #48
BHPian

Team-BHP COTY should be the only place ever where someone thinks of Tata Tiago and Ford Endeavor in the same breath and one gets to see the two cars competing neck to neck.

Coming to the point, I am really confused between these 2 cars - on to whom my vote should go.

The Tiago makes me smile every time I see it - it has some inherent charm and cuteness. Redefined Tata's fortunes (at least, by a bit) and is a genuine hit - something even the competent Zest failed to do. Not really sure of the overall build quality though.

On the other hand, Endeavor is one car I would let it pass me if ever I see it in my rear view mirror - I just love to see this car going on the road - it simply pumps my adrenaline. An SUV that still looks like one. Imposing on the road and something every enthusiast would love to drive.

Nothing much to complain overall in either of them. I am really confused - will think for some more time / days and then vote

Vitara Brezza is also there somewhere in the corner - for me - a distant third. But it does not offer anything superlative or path breaking. It is a generic and mass market car which has managed to do what it was supposed to.

Last edited by Vigkey : 7th December 2016 at 19:27.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 19:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Tiago all the way. This car may go down in the annals of automotive history as the car that single handedly turned around the image and fortunes of Tata Motors.
Old 7th December 2016, 19:36   #50
Team-BHP Support

Can't seem to decide between the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavor.

Have read that the new Fortuner is built like a tank and despite abuse in the off-road camp, there was no squeak/rattle from anywhere. Yet to hear something like that for Ford.

Ford has nice looks, good interiors and other features, the only thing it misses is manual transmission.

Not voting till I am convinced.
Old 7th December 2016, 19:53   #51
Team-BHP Support

Have to decide between the Tiago, Brezza and the Endeavour.

The Tiago for being such a good product and showing what Tata can do. It would have been my pick easily had the petrol engine been a little better. I think that pulls it down. They should have opted for the bolt 4 pot engine vs the 3 pot. The diesel on the other hand is perfect.

The second option is the Brezza. Fantastic compact crossover but not the first. They basically took the Ecosport recipe and improved it in some areas. But overall I still feel it falls short. The Ecosport is dynamically better, better refined, has the 6 airbags and has a lot of small features over the Brezza. The Brezza has the Maruti advantage.

That leaves the Endeavour. Yes the Fortuner is the practical better rounded package but the Ford tugs at the heart vs the Toyota. The Toyota will any day sell better but the appeal of the Endeavour is just unmatchable. It's not something you buy cause it's a safe bet, it's cause you want one. The Fortuner is good but in the end you are buying it cause you can't go wrong with one and you know it has become a status symbol more than anything. A very small handful of people will go for the Fortuner cause the Ford doesn't offer a 4x4 MT with the 3.2 engine.

Basically I can't pin point why the Endeavour is my pick over the Toyota but it's what I would get if I was buying any of these cars.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 19:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Tiago! After quite some time have seen a tata product which the masses have loved. Initially had been skeptical seeing that tata is known for their QC issues but seems that with Tiago atleast they have sorted it out. Kudos to TATA! Hope they sort out the leadership issues soon and focus on more such products.

A close second for me would have been Brezza. Of all the mini SUV's that we have in market now this is one which is pleasing to the eye as well as in its ability. And the results are showing with the stupendous success of the product.
Old 7th December 2016, 20:00   #53
BHPian

Voted for tiago, for all the features it provides compared to the cars in its segment and for being as cheap as a segment below it! A big step in the right direction by TATA.
Old 7th December 2016, 20:10   #54
BHPian

Tiago for me!

It's one car which makes you want to move down a segment or two and pick it, since it feels a segment higher, inside out.
Old 7th December 2016, 20:11   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Been tossing up between the Ford Endeavour and the Tata Tiago ever since this thread went live around 2 and half hours back.

Finally, I have made my choice.

The Tata Tiago.

The Ford Endeavour is a superb all-rounder. I regard it as the only good-looking butch behemoth among the current crop of proper, full-sized SUVs. The performance and on-road manners are great, safety and comfort is right up there, and the 3.2L option is easily the pick of the lot. Add to it, the recent price cut which has made the Endeavour an extremely VFM offering. Ford is doing it's best to take the fight to brand Toyota and it's faithful followers - with Innova Crysta breathing down it's neck on one side and the Fortuner standing tall on the other.

However, at Rs 23.78 lakhs onwards, the Endeavour is still affordable by a select few. Also, it did not have to carry company aspirations and chances the way the Tiago has, ever since it was launched.

Jinxed at first by it's chosen name which sounded synonymous with a virus outbreak near it's launch, the little Tata brought 2 things to the buyer's table together at the same time - excellent quality at an extremely affordable price. If you look at a Tiago from a distance and dismiss it just because of the "T" badge up front, you are committing a serious mistake. My suggestion - walk up to the car, feel the exteriors, then sit inside and take in the interiors. The quality of the plastics, the awesome Harman-Kardon ICE inside, comfort and spaciousness for 4 people (I regard it as such), and revolutionary styling, all will leave you seriously impressed. This is one aspect you usually don't associate with a Tata - it's ability to impress on the quality front.

Yes, they could have given a better petrol option, but the 1.2L is no slouch either. For casual, sedate drivers, the petrol mill is good enough. For someone who is looking for that something extra, there's the extremely affordable Tiago diesel on the banquet plate as well.

One for the sedate, family-oriented guys, one for the motorheads who need that little extra out of their cars.

The Tiago also has the distinction of being one of the 2 cars which has taken the fight directly into the market leader's camp and come out successful - other being the Renault Kwid. Priced in the range of an Alto K10/WagonR, the Tiago has racked up 6,000+ sales in the past 2 months. Another feather added to it's cap.

I am of the firm opinion that Tata is simply not manufacturing enough Tiagos yet. If they had Maruti-Suzuki like production lines and the same "catering to the customer demand" attitude, the Tiago is one Tata car which would be doing at least double of it's present monthly sales numbers, if not more.

As things stand, the Tiago has single-handedly put it's parent company back on track, after the derailed sales numbers and the confused, jumbled-up "where-do-we-go-from-here" mess regarding PVs & sales strategies they had gotten themselves into, before the little Tata came about. I am very impressed with the 4 recent Tata offerings - for once, the company has taken a step in the right direction regarding it's passenger cars, and now they deserve some success.

All the best to the Tiago for it's future, as well as to the "coming-soon" crop from the Tata stable.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 7th December 2016 at 20:26. Reason: added a point
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 20:32   #56
BHPian

For me it was between the Tiago and Endeavour.

Voted for the Tiago. Both these cars have the same things going for them, great packaging, maintaining good quality materials and desirability, Good looks with VFM pricing. Both put competing products under pressure in terms of pricing. Handsome looks that will age well.

Where the tiago takes the cake for me is the fact that it is one of the few cars under 5L that offer ABS and dual airbags. The others being Celerio, Wagon R/Stingray, 1 Lower petrol variant each of KUV100 K2 Plus and Swift LXi-O just sneak in under 5L. Making it the only car (In my opinion) where a person looking to buy a car in this range does not have to compromise on safety, or features (compared to swift, KUV 100), or perceived quality (Celerio & Wagon R have a built to a budget feel).

Thankfully for TATA this is a COTY and most people will not include ASS into the equation. If that were the case the Endeavour would gallop past the finish line, while the tiago was just trying to figure out why the oil is not in the motor but spilled on the seats (seems to be a common and irritating problem at TATA ASS).
budgam.boonyi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 20:33   #57
BHPian

Voted for Endeavour for its all round package and for the features which are first in segment. Overall, its VFM product.
pkothak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 20:44   #58
BHPian

Voted for Tiago for its VFM quotient. It is doing a Kejrival right now as far as the votes are concerned
Old 7th December 2016, 20:51   #59
Senior - BHPian

So if the Tiago wasn't around it would be the Endeavor for me.
Felt Tata Motors deserves to win this year. Tiago with its fresh styling, good build quality, quality interiors at a fantastic price wins it for me.
Old 7th December 2016, 21:01   #60
BHPian

Last year, the choice was clear to me - the Renault Kwid redefined the segment at that price-point. This year, the cars are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. One could argue that the Isuzu V-Cross redefines the segment but all said and done it is not a mass-market product. I chose the Tiago because it did revive the fortunes of a once popular car-maker.

I am surprised to notice the Skoda Rapid missing from the list - was that by design or was it an oversight?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks