Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 09:25   #286
anb
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

I was confused between Endeavour and Tiago. Finally voted for Tiago as it is easily set new standards in its segment with respect to cabin quality and build. I am quite surprised to see the high percentage of vote share for such an ordinary product like Brezza. It's not even the best car in its segment.
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:41   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I am quite surprised to see the high percentage of vote share for such an ordinary product like Brezza.
When companies like Chevrolet with so many below-average products (like Spark, Beat, Aveo, UVA, Tavera, Enjoy) which none is interested about, and Fiat with pathetic A.S.S. are gulping for last breath in India, those companies, their customers and fans can just cry about how Maruti is able to achieve those sales figures. It's the combination of product and A.S.S. As simple as that.
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:49   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
When companies like Chevrolet with so many below-average products (like Spark, Beat, Aveo, UVA, Tavera, Enjoy) which none is interested about, and Fiat with pathetic A.S.S. are gulping for last breath in India, those companies, their customers and fans can just cry about how Maruti is able to achieve those sales figures. It's the combination of product and A.S.S. As simple as that.
I would say, it is a combination of Distribution network, brand image and ASS, not so much of product. Otherwise, the best products from MS stable so far (Grand Vitara, Kizashi and more recently, the S-cross) would not be their least sellers/failures, while the most pathetic cars from their stable (celerio for example) would not be selling so much.

And I partly agree to one point raised earlier. Brezza is a good car, no doubt about that. But can't be voted for COTY since it is not even the best car in its segment (ecosport is, which was launched years earlier).

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 23rd December 2016 at 10:52.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:04   #289
BHPian

Maruti Vitara Brezza Just won the much coveted the Indian Car of the Year Award (ICOTY)!!

https://www.carwale.com/news/maruti-...ent=BrezzaWins
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:20   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I would say, it is a combination of Distribution network, brand image and ASS, not so much of product. Otherwise, the best products from MS stable so far (Grand Vitara, Kizashi and more recently, the S-cross) would not be their least sellers/failures, while the most pathetic cars from their stable (celerio for example) would not be selling so much.
With your logic, all products from Maruti should sell well including Grand Vitara and Kizashi, because they also enjoy the same Distribution network, brand image and ASS. But that didn't happen.

A combination of product, price, mileage, reliability and support can win Indian customers - that is where I arrive now.
Old 23rd December 2016, 14:55   #291
BHPian

Quote:
The Brezza is a great all-round car. It has a lot of gadgets and features. It handles all mechanical matters acceptably. It has a lot of space. And as I found out first-hand, it has really great mileage. It makes a very good case for itself overall.

I disagree to the earlier statement that it is an ordinary product. It is not. It is extraordinary. It is pure genius.

The Brezza is the accepted doctoral thesis of Suzuki's deep understanding of the Indian populous. Because, if you remove all the superficial gadgetry from a Brezza, the contrived panache of 'playing glamorous' and the so-called SUV appeal, it really does not soar in any single 'car' department.

And I say 'car' because some of its competitors really, really feel alive (EcoSport) when you drive them or have at least the 'soak up bumps like a pro' cred (Duster, Avventura) that 'SUVs' should possess. Sure, they don't have as much gadgetry or a feather-lite mass (Try putting a Brezza through a severe crosswind), but they do excel in most other 'car' things that at least half-enthusiasts like. And having enthusiasts who know what they are talking about adds to good motoring culture.

Now, when it comes to calling FIAT out for it's sub-par A.S.S., let me assure you that it is quite good. Significantly better than VW at least, since I've had enough experience with both recently.

Yes, they are gasping for breath. But they remain their imperfect, quirky, underachieving, loud Italian selves unabashedly; who a small but extremely devoted crowd of enthusiasts love vehemently. And though they may have been terrible ASSes in the past, calling them out like this now, rather distastefully, is punching below the waist.

Your quote says 'refined aggression', like the late-great Ford Mondeo's tagline. It was one of the best driving cars out there. It could have set the executive segment on fire much ahead of its time. However, like the Kizashi, it did not get the popular vote and died out. This directly portended to the near future, where a small group of real car-feelers were encircled and clubbed to death by being unpopular. And we will go out completely soon, suffocated by the trite hyacinths in the market today.

So instead of channeling your evidently 'refined' anger on small-time manufacturers backed up by a minority of enthusiasts and mechanics, focus on the things that make the Brezza a great candidate for 'car' of the year. You will find it wanting.
nehaagg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 09:16   #292
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Tiago, Endevour or even the X1 is the best vehicle in its category. You cannot say the same about Brezza. Ecosport has better engine, suspension and build quality. Both Brezza and Ecosport are well equipped. Ecosport is clearly the better car compared to Brezza. The A.S.S of Ford has been improved very much over years. Ford service is now really good and service is cheap. So how did Brezza, clearly not the best product in its category won this many votes!!
anb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 10:29   #293
Senior - BHPian

Chill, guys. This is about personal preferences and prejudices. In the end, the most preferred car for COTY wins. Let's keep it simple.

I voted for the Tiago. A comeback for the homegrown manufacturer, after people and most in the industry had written them off. But that apart, what makes the car a COTY, is mass market appeal, in getting the common man aspire to have things in his reach at a reasonable price.

The Endeavour would take second place, for two reasons. It's not all new and it's not mass market. Purely my view alone.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 13:20   #294
BHPian

One thing I realized is that as compared to past 3 years, there are far more entries and title contenders this year. So whichever car wins "Team-BHP of the Year 2016" award, they will be much more satisfied and lot to rejoice about than ever before.

Also this year, we seem to have a new car launched in almost every segment.

Looking at the results thus far, it is pretty clear that "Tata Tiago" will run away with the most coveted award. I am hoping Team BHP also gives SUV of the year award to Ford Endeavour. Ford has come up with a brilliant product and I believe they deserve a consolation prize for a category which is booming in India and getting crowded very quickly.
Attached Images

damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 13:30   #295
BHPian

Nehaagg: Can't agree with you much.

If Ecosport was so confident about its standard, there was no occasion for Ford to hit the panic button and substantially reduce prices immediately after launch of Brezza.

Brezza is a brilliant mix of everything and trust me it won't disappoint you on any front. I am driving it for past 5 months or so and am proud of my decision to choose it against other options available in the market. ASS, reliability, mileage, price, features, looks, etc, all play an important role. It continues to convince the major chunk of auto enthusiasts which shows in the number of units being sold each month. Therefore, ICOTY: No surprises.
Old 24th December 2016, 15:51   #296
BHPian

Had voted a long time back, but with the current trend in this discussion, thought of chipping in with my 2c.

We are talking about "Car of the Year". Not manufacturer or After Sales Service etc. If I had to BUY a car I would consider all parameters.

However for the sake of this poll, I only looked at the product. Could be a myopic view though.

Simple, would the Vittara Brezza (on it's own) create an impact, without leveraging on the goodwill earned by it's siblings or its manufacturer?

Would the Crysta sell so well, if not for the incredible popularity and reputation (for reliability and resale value) of its predecessor?

Perhaps not.

But would the Tiago or the Endeavor, as products on their own, create an impact on the consumer. Perhaps yes. They perhaps would have created a larger impact if they were offered by their rivals instead.

So, purely in my view these as CARs stand out - higher and taller than the rest. The poll too echos similar thoughts.

Between these, eventually voted for the Tiago. At the price points of the two contenders, there very little wriggle space at the bottom end, with so much cut throat competition. And Tiago, given the initial response, seems to have climbed a taller mountain than the SUV.

Hence it gets my vote.

BTW, i did not believe in lowering the bar for Tata Motors saying this is the best car they have manufactured till date. But, rather would think they have raised the bar for what is available at this price point in the market.
sachinayak is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2016, 16:56   #297
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

Finally after my sixth attempt,i'm able to post here and i want to thank the moderators for approving my membership.
My Birthday is approaching and i was thinking in this week that if i got my membership approved that would be the best birthday gift ever and i think sometimes telepathy works.

My vote goes to TATA Tiago, TATA now rewrites the rules of Indian Automobile industry with their each product. TIAGO should be termed as a Benchmark of Quality and a many segment first in its category.

Besides that i think there should be other categories too for instance like SUV of the year which should be Ford Endeavour according to me and Lifestyle vehicle of the year which should be ISUZU D-max V-Cross.
Old 24th December 2016, 17:45   #298
BANNED

Hey,

This tallying has to be done a bit carefully. Maths was my favourite subject in school. I took 9 attempts to clear the basic paper. So the essence of math is in my bones.

Anyway, while adding fractions, we ought to consider the maximum number of digits after the decimal. If there are say, 4 digits after the decimal point, then please do all your calculations with 4 digits after.

The final figure can be rounded off. You may round off to just one point or two points after the decimal. That, at that point, makes no difference.

If you round off to only 2 digits after the decimal in a few calculations or inconsistently, then errors creep in (being invertebrates, after all).

You may speak to your accountant or someone good with numbers.

This happens. I know that much. The CA can explain better.

PS: How come the Force Motors Trax category is not shown? 100% of rural Maharashtra uses that vehicle. I do not think Mr. Firodia (I'm not related nor am I a dealer) will be happy.

Last edited by hangover : 24th December 2016 at 17:53.
Old 24th December 2016, 18:00   #299
BHPian

I voted for the KUV because I thought it was a novel concept among these cars. Cheap and practical.

Hope this is useful!
Old 24th December 2016, 22:43   #300
BHPian

It's got to be Tiago! It screams "Value-For-Money" from every angle. Tata has captured the imagination of the Indian car buyer with the launch of Tiago. This product has indeed shaken the crowded/competitive/cut-throat B segment in India. This just seems to be the beginning of the new Tata Motors attitude towards new car design and feature list. Way to go !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks