Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 08:28   #331
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Funny, how people who don't own a Tata (or at least a newer generation) crib about reliabity. Also crib about how Tata owns JLR but are not using the same tech for their smaller cars.
Firstly I've not driven the Tiago and have based my opinion purely by reading the official review, because that's how much I trust it.

And my point was since Tata owns such great companies and has great financial muscle, they could've taken their time and improved the engine,NVH and their after sales. But guess what? They know the Indian mentality.

Some of us Indians apparently care about better features in the car than a better car.

There's a reason why Maruti cars are such a hit. They have less features but their engines are always peppy and after sales are the best in business.

Anyway I think we are overanalysing this too much. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If it's the most popular car out here, then it must be good. Just hope it translates to good sales as well.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 27th December 2016 at 08:29.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 08:32   #332
BHPian

I believe Tata Tiago truly deserves to be the car of the year. Considering the price factor, performance and features, the Tiago makes a compelling case for itself. Though, concerns over long term reliability and particularly shabby workshop support seem to be the major concern of the majority.

I recently picked up a Grand i10 diesel over a Tiago diesel and the only thing which drifted me towards Hyundai is their excellent workshop support (atleast in Pune). I severly miss the Harman system of the Tiago though.

However, Tiago has its own merits and it truly deserves to be the car of the year for being the most bang for the buck car. Kudos Tata!
tp_dominator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 08:38   #333
BHPian

IMHO Tata Tiago hands down. The way Tata Motors have come out of the rumbles of Bolt and others, is surely commendable. I have folks of mine who are proud owners of Tiago and are mighty satisfied with it. Icing on the cake is it's ICE powered by Harman, I guess the best in its segment and across as well.
I have voted for Tiago and I am mulling on buying one for my dear wifey.
MDED is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 08:38   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
There's a reason why Maruti cars are such a hit. They have less features but their engines are always peppy and after sales are the best in business.
Their engines are peppy and their vehicles are tinny. Check the spec sheet and the performance figures of the Celerio and the Tiago. Please make a comparison among equals.

I don't own any of the new Gen Tatas either but have owned almost every car of theirs in the last two decades. So let's give them their due on reliability having used them for over six lakh kilometres.

The COTY is about the car. Not sales, not A.S.S.

I rest my case.
discoverwild is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 08:54   #335
BANNED

A well deserved win for the the Tiago. Car Of The Year title us not about A.S.S. or number of outlets. This title us all about the vehicle in itself.
Any product which has twisted the rules of the game, deserves this award. This baby Tata has simply redefined the sub 6 lac cars.
Endeavour and Superb are indeed equally deserving if we look at the cars themselves, but the price of those cars makes them far from the reach of over 99% of Indian population. So, a car that is reliable, feature loaded, decent in dynamics, safety and FE; all available at a well affordable price tag - Tiago, deserves this honour to be the T-BHP car of the year.
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 09:16   #336
BHPian

Quote:
The COTY is about the car. Not sales, not A.S.S.
Buddy, A.S.S. is one of the very important factors while buying a car. Ask Fiat. It's surviving in India by selling engines, not cars. Despite making the best driver cars and safe build quality.

Oh and IIRC, Fiat India is a jv with Tata, right?
Old 27th December 2016, 09:51   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, A.S.S. is one of the very important factors while buying a car. Ask Fiat. It's surviving in India by selling engines, not cars. Despite making the best driver cars and safe build quality.

Not to deny that after sales is an important aspect when buying a car, but not to be confused with the product itself.

The fact that Tiago came out as the winner does indicate that in general people correctly understood the meaning of the poll.
prakash_ajp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 10:12   #338
BHPian

Congrats to Tata and Tiago. Wishes to Endeavor as well, what a Car! Big, Butch and handsome.

Tbhp COTY always show appreciation for good products, honest intentions and serious efforts put in place together. These cars may not be chart-busters but are a darling of the hearts. It is like humans, in a way. People with High IQ for example, are bad in relationships. They end up either lonely or terribly heartbroken. Even though they are liked and respected by all, people hesitate to share their life with them, as it is too much of personal investment.

For Brezza and Innove crysta - Good cars, chart-busters, first choice to get into relationship. Like a successful investment banker one seeks for his/her daughter's marriage. Good, stable family (A.S.S), reliable company (Fiat engines, for example), fat salary (Mileage, perhaps?) and neutral looks.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 10:55   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm so a car which has :
- Mediocre engines
- Bad NVH
- Low Reliability
- Poor A.S.S.
is the most popular car on Team BHP!
How do you know this? There are no reports of serious niggles in the Tiago in our forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The worth of the product is making a bunch of bhp'ians compare this to higher segment products I believe. The moment someone compares Tiago with a higher segment car, it's a win for the company!

Quote:
Funny, how people who don't own a Tata (or at least a newer generation) crib about reliabity.
So true!!! similar to how people who haven't owned Fiat cars curse Fiat

Quote:
The Tiago is what it is. A winner on its own merits. It may not have won all hearts, but certainly it did many and by a large margin. Other auto magazines do not hold an opinion poll to choose the COTY. If they did, then they wouldn't have to give out 'the best gearknob' award. They need ads to run their magazine. Team-BHP doesn't.

Quote:
Celerio weighs 810 Kgs as against Tiago's 930 Kgs (more than the Baleno which stands 2 segments higher) and 880 Kgs Vs 1030 Kgs for the diesel. TATAs have made heavier cars with better ride quality than most others, but this point isn't discussed in their favour.

Quote:
Buddy, A.S.S. is one of the very important factors while buying a car.
This is the Car of the Year award and not the Company of the Year award. For COTY, its the product that counts

Quote:
Nope, severed long back
Karthik Chandra is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:03   #340
BHPian

Well deserved , for their effort to improve .

For the price, Tiago is a very good car and some more. It got looks, features & quality

I hope 2016-2017 will be remembered as comeback year for Tata. They are improving day by day as we can observe from recent launches starting from Zest/Bolt. (Unlike Mahindra who is in a downfall in terms of innovation/designs etc after XUV500 )

People complain about rattles and unreliability of tata cars, but I beg to differ here

True that their quality was below par once, but I have seen many Tata indicas/vistas/manzas with more than 2Lakh Kms in their odo and still running fine .

Excluding some, It all depends on the driver (well most of the time). As per me, most of the indica cabs are driven by drivers who care very less about the car, an it shows. I have seen similar Innovas/Etios (for eg only, since toyota has the highest reliability factor in our mindset), driven by similar folks and are in very bad condition with lesser Odo reading
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:48   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IIRC, this poll is about the car. That's why it's called COTY. If it was about A.S.S, it would be called ASSOTY. Also the JV is no more in existence.

Have a wonderful New Year!
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 12:53   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Tata Tiago!!

Well deserved victory!

Let us face the fact. Most BHPians voted for Tiago. Give it one more month, the poll will have the same results. And calling Tiago unreliable is being extremely biased.

When was the last time we heard Storme/Zest/Bolt owners left stranded on the highway because of their "unreliable" Tata? Tatas are as reliable as Marutis in the current generation, only with a better build quality and better features.

Someone said "Endeavour is the real COTY as it got votes from connoisseurs". Really? Connoisseurs dont rate a product by its price tag. My guess is the % of connoisseurs who voted for the tiago is greater than that who voted for the Ford.

Peace! A Wonderful New Year 2017!

Cant wait to see Tiago newspaper ads boasting TBHP COTY award.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th December 2016 at 12:59.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 13:32   #343
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC, this poll is about the car. That's why it's called COTY. If it was about A.S.S, it would be called ASSOTY. Also the JV is no more in existence.

Have a wonderful New Year!
What's the ultimate aim of branding a car as COTY? To benefit the customer. A COTY has to be very best in the core parameters:Engine, transmission, NVH, ride,interior quality and after sales. Features are secondary if the car is solid. If a car is great and the parts are not easily available, what use is that car?

If a person buys a car based on it's music system and other features then I honestly don't have any words.

Like I said, I've not driven the car and based my opinions on the review. If you all say that it's reliable as a USER, then I take back my words.

Also, from what I see on Bangalore roads, I rarely spot Indicas or other Tata cars as a taxi. Most of them have been replaced by Swift Dzire and Etios.

And from what I know, JV still exists. It was abandoned only at the dealership level. Manufacturing is still shared.

I also have to admit that Tata as a brand has grown tremendously in the last few years. Quality and design has gone up by many notches. I'd recommend a Tata car to many a friends. Infact, Safari is still one of my all time favourites. And seeing the recent launches like the Tiago, they are going in the right direction as well. They have the potential and backing to become the very best in the world. I hope they do their R&D well.

End of discussion from my side. Happy New Year in advance to all of you.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 27th December 2016 at 13:54.
Old 27th December 2016, 13:54   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the ultimate aim of branding a car as COTY? To benefit the customer. A COTY has to be very best in the core parameters:Engine, transmission, NVH, ride and after sales. Features are secondary if the car is solid. If a car is great and the parts are not easily available, what use is that car?

If a person buys a car based on it's music system and other features then I honestly don't have any words.

Like I said, I've not driven the car and based my opinions on the review. If you all say that it's reliable as a USER, then I take back my words.

Also, from what I see on Bangalore roads, I rarely spot Indicas or other Tata cars as a taxi. Most of them have been replaced by Swift Dzire and Etios.

And from what I know, JV still exists. It was abandoned only at the dealership level. Manufacturing is still shared.

I also have to admit that Tata as a brand has grown tremendously in the last few years. Quality and design has gone up by many notches. I'd recommend a Tata car to many a friends. Infact, Safari is still one of my all time favourites. And seeing the recent launches like the Tiago, they are going in the right direction as well. They have the potential and backing to become the very best in the world. I hope they do their R&D well.

End of discussion from my side. Happy New Year in advance to all of you.
A.S.S comes into play only when you are talking about the company. While it may not be great, it's not the worst either. If the Tiago had its fair share of niggles, rest assured, we would have heard of it here in dollops. Suffice to say, we haven't. One of the members whose car has done 4000 kms has good things to say with respect to NVH and engine harshness.

Most of us who voted here, probably voted with sane minds. I have voted with years of my experience with cars from most manufacturers and based on the experiences of Tiago owners here. It has managed to pull in sales around the 6k mark for the last two months and hopefully will continue to keep going strong. When the sedan, the Hexa and the Nexon are launched and delivered, it will bring back more people into showrooms and I expect the Tiago to sell even more.

I have always found Tata to be the best VFM among the rest, save for the Aria which was overpriced for the market then. The Tiago simply won because it was a honest effort.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 13:56   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the ultimate aim of branding a car as COTY? To benefit the customer. A COTY has to be very best in the core parameters:Engine, transmission, NVH, ride and after sales. Features are secondary if the car is solid. If a car is great and the parts are not easily available, what use is that car?
Actually no. A family car is supposed to be an all rounder that does everything good and nothing bad per se. Now if it was a stripped track focused car like a Porsche GT3 RS, I would agree that engine and gearbox is everything but not a family car. Besides even in all the core areas, Tiago remains pretty competitive and given the heft of the car and power, pretty fuel efficient too.

Quote:
No if someone in his right mind wants to buy a music system, trust me he will buy the music system. This is a very obtuse generalisation. Having a good music system in a car might be a factor in someone's purchase than academic performance figures and I dont blame them. I don't blame if you were interested purely in engine performance. Different strokes for different folks and I do not see why you have to deride someone just because his choice of a car does not matches yours.

Quote:
Playing good cop bad cop are you?
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks