Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 19:08   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Wow, let us all hope that this true. 1.9 MJD should be a stonker,hopefully.
Btw, any info on the petrol engine?
I didn't ask him much about the Petrol Sridhar, since if it's the Linea only the diesel would interest me, but he did mention that they plan the petrol and the 1.4 diesel and the 1.9 diesel too. I asked him whether it will be staged launches (one engine option at first and the others later) and he replied that all 3 engines would be launched at the same time.
If he's correct, it looks to be promising. He also mentioned that since I'm in Pune deliveries shouldn't be a problem and it should definitely be possible to get a delivery in the first week of December if booked when the vehicle is launched in November.
Considering that the ANHC deliveries are expected in Dec. itself at this time, I'd now prefer to wait and see the Linea. I only hope they launch early and keep my fingers crossed.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:25   #392
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Fiat is thinking about the 1.9 Diesel coz the top end Linea will compete with the Octavia and the Optra Magnum Diesel and they cannot do it with a 1.3. Its pyschological.
Old 29th September 2008, 20:19   #393
BHPian

I just searched on the WW FIAT Linea website (fiatlinea.com) and I didn't see a 1.9 MJD engine option, was the sales person misleading ?
Old 29th September 2008, 20:32   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I just searched on the WW FIAT Linea website (fiatlinea.com) and I didn't see a 1.9 MJD engine option, was the sales person misleading ?
The website does not mention the engine options in Brazil as well. So, the website is not the last thing. I'm also pretty frustrated, but to be on a positive side, we can live with a hope that Fiat did not expect tougher competition from ANHC and they did not also read the trend of Indian car buyers in this segment which clearly goes towards power and performance. By the time they came to know of it, it was too late and but still trying to give better options for us and thus the delay

So, go back to day dreaming mode again and wait till they launch it finally. If they disappoint me, I'm definitely going to ditch it. When I would be happy with 90bhp MJD if they had launched by September, now I wouldn't be happy with it as they are delaying further and I know there is a better car below 10 lakh.
Old 29th September 2008, 20:47   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasu View Post
This seems to be ok news but not more than mid november i am really frustrated.And also my dad is continously saying to book ANHC.The only +point oh fiat is the gem diesel engine they have.
The gem diesel engine may not be the only plus point. Until the cars are launched here and until the experts drive both versions here back to back, we will not be able to conclude anything on which one has what advantage. Even from the looks, there will be people who will tend to choose either way. Feature-wise, we don't know if Fiat will fully load the Linea in India. If they are wise thinkers, they would, because they know their position. Linea's Blue&Me is much superior to ANHC's plain audio controls on steering wheels. It can interface with voice, address book, read SMS including commonly used abbreviations, can be configured to work with around four (don't remember the exact number) bluetooth mobile phones at the same time. Features like HillHolder and a bunch of traction control features will be very useful. I would prefer dualogic gear box to ANHC gear since I have read reviews about dualogic. Linea has wheel base of 2600mm.

But yes, I would prefer ANHC since it is much shorter (almost 300mm I guess) without compromising much on the spaces. It would be much easier to slot in a parking in India.

If Fiat launches the 1.4 T-jet 120bhp with 194Nm at 1750rpm, even the petrol-headed maniacs may jump onto Linea.

Ok. I would rather stop here with a point that we cannot conclude anything right now.
Old 29th September 2008, 20:54   #396
BHPian

RE: linea's launch

this car's taken its while. i waited, and waited, saw it face to face at the Delhi auto expo, and waited some more. then finally ought a Cedia.
Old 29th September 2008, 22:46   #397
Senior - BHPian

I think Linea should come with 1.3 MJD 90 bhp ( surprised that even Indigo is getting the same) . So Fiat should launch their 1.6 MJD. I think the dealer must be referring to the 1.4 Turbopetrol instead of 1.3 MJD. Linea should launch 1.3 & 1.6 MJD first improve its sales & A** and then launch the 1.9 MJD. Its not easy for them to launch 1.9 MJD which would surely breach City s price range so Fiat needs to get the homework done before launching the 1.9 MJD. My bet launch the more competitive pricing engines ,establish your sales then go Bang with other variants.

I personally feel its hightime a Fiat official gives info on Linea launch to atleast make sure buyers dont jump into buying New city.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:58   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Vista top end you are talking about is without any ABS and airbags. Linea even if priced at 6.5L should have ABS and airbags at the minimum if it should give any value addition to what ANHC gives. So, Vista, Punto, Linea with ABS and Airbags will all be too close and different variants will surely overlap.
Yes i would also want that linea should be equipped with abs and airbags but i doubt they will offer it in there base models if they price it at 6.5 lacs. but definitely i expect it in top models.
Regarding Vista , Punto (both with ABS and airbags) being too close in pricing i doubt that. Overlapping is going to be there between top end model vista with saftey features and base model of punto as in case of other car manufacturers like hyundai. but i believe there will be substantial difference in terms of pricing between top end vista and top end punto.
Old 30th September 2008, 11:48   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
but i believe there will be substantial difference in terms of pricing between top end vista and top end punto.
Looking @ the Linea delay, i wont surprised if Fiat is MADE to launch Punto only after Vista gets ABS/Airbags and yes punto will definitely be atleast 50K+ over Vista
Old 30th September 2008, 12:00   #400
BHPian

[quote=karanraheja;996492]I think Linea should come with 1.3 MJD 90 bhp ( surprised that even Indigo is getting the same) .

i doubt indigo will get 90 bhp....it will be 1.3 MJD with 75 Bhp same as that of vista and will be competing against dzire whose top model is close to 7 lacs.
Linea will definitely come up with 1.3 Mjd with 90 Bhp and will be placed a class above for sure.
Old 30th September 2008, 14:41   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
I doubt indigo will get 90 bhp....it will be 1.3 MJD with 75 Bhp same as that of vista and will be competing against dzire whose top model is close to 7 lacs.
Linea will definitely come up with 1.3 Mjd with 90 Bhp and will be placed a class above for sure.

Please read ACI October. Its clearly mentioned Indigo will get the 1.3 MJD 90 BHP. Not that we gotta believe ACI 100% . But thats the info i got.

Last edited by karanraheja : 30th September 2008 at 14:49.
Old 30th September 2008, 16:57   #402
BHPian

As per the October’2008 issue of Autocar India (Page 27), Toyota is considering launching a diesel version of the Corolla Altis by mid-2009. The article states that the Indian version might sport a Yaris derived 1.4 litre turbo-diesel engine boosted up to deliver 90-100 bHp. Sure the Altis diesel (if launched) would be more expensive than the Linea Diesel but then the Altis would be far better equipped as well and will come with Toyota’s endearing quality and commitment to its customers – an area where FIAT India still have to prove themselves.

Seems like more and more competition is coming the Linea’s way…

At times, come to think of it, I can’t help but compare the Diesel Linea to the Diesel Dzire. Now don’t get me wrong, the Linea definitely looks a million times better, offers more space, gives the image of a car a segment higher and if all the internationally available Linea options are offered perhaps better equipped as opposed to Dzire’s cramped rear seat, awkward rear styling and contrived looks. But the Dzire ZDi isn’t all that terribly behind. It shares the same engine (about 15 bHp less), which is half the battle, has climate control, Air Bags, EBD, ABS, integrated audio system, steering mounted controls, 464 litre trunk volume (Linea is 500), one of the best front seats in the business and costs Rs.7.85 lacs on-road, Mumbai. Add to that Maruti’s unflagging after sales service. If the Diesel Linea were to cost Rs.11.50 lacs on-road Mumbai, makes one wonder whether the Linea is that much better to justify the Rs.3.50+ lacs difference. Then we also have the Diesel Aveo slated for release with the same engine.

And the proven fact is that with the Linea’s size the 1.3MJD engine with 90bhp does indeed run of breath.

If the Linea Diesel is offered with a higher capacity engine, FIAT could move it a segment higher. Similarly, if the Linea Petrol is offered without the 1.4 16V T-Jet 120bHp petrol variant then the Linea is off my list for sure. At least the new Honda City with 116bHp will allow me a better drive.

A little off-topic from the Linea – As per Page 25 of the 27/Sep/08 edition of the Times of India, Mumbai - Honda plans to pre-pone the launch of their Jazz model. This would mean serious competition for the Grande Punto. And we all know that unlike FIAT India, Honda India means business. Honda launched the new City earlier this month in Thailand (often considered the mother country for the City) and within a fortnight it is on Indian roads unlike the Linea that has been running in at least ten countries for over a year now. Also, let’s not forget the release of the bigger and better Hyundai i20.

Slowly but surely, FIAT India is loosing the first mover initiative and advantage. They goofed and the City is out before the Linea. Similarly the i20 will launch before the Grande Punto and the Jazz will be here soon thereafter. Their incessant delays could cost them quite a few Lineas to the New Honda City amongst others and a few Grande Puntos to the i20 and the Honda Jazz.

Its (high) TIME FIAT India got their act together and launched the Linea instead of coming out with weird reasons for their postponement. Besides with the financial markets being in the current turmoil that they are in and the ever increasing interest rates on car loans, quite a few prospective buyers could shy away from the Linea (initial purchase or upgrade) if priced too high.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:20   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
I checked on Wiki. Wiki mentions that Linea has only 3 engines, 1.3 MJD, 1.4 and the 1.4 T-jet. Given that the Fiat India website mentions that the Bravo will have the 1.9 MJD, then may be Linea will only get the 1.3 MJD.
Btw, I think this thread( and others on GP and Linea) is the most speculative one going around. Prices, Dates, engines, features..from one extreme to another..and rumours, you name it.
Also perhaps is also reflective of the way Fiat runs it's operations in India.

Last edited by sridharps : 30th September 2008 at 17:30.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:22   #404
Senior - BHPian

freddie, i must appreciate your long post here as its a good one in this context. yes everyone is almost fed up of waiting for the linea and now the only question is its pricing which will tell if it can even be considered buyable (towards a success model) or not!

and no one else is sleeping. GM, Tata, Toyota, Honda, whatever whoever.
Old 30th September 2008, 17:27   #405
BHPian

I agree with you freddie. I would have also ditched the Linea if not for the combination of a refined diesel engine with a nice car. There are other good diesel cars but not so refined engine. There are cars with this MJD engine, but not great cars (in equipment, look, space, ride, etc) in the segments I can reach. I was even willing to go for Hyundai diesel engines, which is also proven for good fuel efficiency and performance, but then even Hyundai gave up on the launch of Avante, the limit I could stretch my budget.

But the way Fiat is handling the whole episode of Linea launch in India, I'm already half converted to petrol, thanks to a well speced and priced all new Honda City. I will keep my fingers crossed on the engine specs of i20. As the boot space is not a high priority for me and since i20 is expected to have good cabin space, good ride and handling, I'm going to consider it (Hyundai, please give a nice CRDI engine for i20, preferably i-blue).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks