Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2006, 01:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In western countries, a cop usually travels alone or maybe one partner.

In india, there is ususlly a driver, an inspector riding shotgun and 4-5 hefty havaldars in the back.

I can't imagine the plight of the poor Accent with its soft rear suspension.

And I also hope it dosent bocome a personal car for some superindent to ferry his kids to school and take his wife to the market.
Now, please dont go that far,bro.
India will take its time to get police cruisers like the US with all the guns&gadgets. Its just a step.
Old 25th October 2006, 01:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

hey guys think positive about the act.im not saying that its not promotional ,but still why dint any others be as promotional as the hyundai.any one spending 50 - 70 lakh would promote the act isnt it ,i feel so
ram
Old 25th October 2006, 06:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Just saw this ad in the Hindu (24/10/2006). Hyundai is gifting 100 Accents to the Chennai City Police. Take a look.
comments, guys.
I have seen one on the road yesterday (Oct 24, 2006). I feel that Accent does not go well for cops. Probably, it is because, we have been seeing them always on a jeep or the like. When I saw the Accent with sirens on top, I first thought that it could be some VIP vehicle, and later assumed that it could be a vehicle made up for a movie shooting.
Old 25th October 2006, 09:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

My observations:

1. I feel the cars would look smart. Totally personal.
2. It is a step in the right direction by Hyundai, self promotion or not. Our police guys require a better deal - if they can travel in comfort then so be it.
3. Apart from a cosmetic makeover, how does this move help? Are they (the police) going to solve crimes faster, become less corrupt? Points to ponder.
Old 25th October 2006, 09:04   #20
BHPian

Now its time for Pete's to put an ad.. Pete's Tuning Donates 100 Pete's tuning box for Chennai Police Accent CRDi. hahah
Old 25th October 2006, 09:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

>>in realistic terms the zen could have been a good cop car for the cities!!

When roads are taken into consideration .. probably. But otherwise they are harmless...police cruisers need to be big, sturdy, and reinforced to protect them from the bumps and scratches that day-to-day police use can bring them. Zen doesn't have any more space for reinforcing the body..adding addtional bars into its frame ..does it ?

Additionaly...the front needs enough space for a portable computer,scanning, communication devices when a 'National ID scheme' is launched in India by our politicians. (They are very wary of launching a National ID scheme because it will bust their ..."SHIFT populations and issue ration cards" schemes to tilt the area vote banks").

If they want to stop an escaping car by bumping its rear and throwing it off balance..the police cruiser needs to be a big strong boy to achieve that feat.

C-Segment cars in India like Accent won't be a good choice in the long run because policemen spend upto 15 hours in their cars and they need to be comfortable too inorder to be fit and stay alert for such a long time. If their car is cramped they are bound to be irritated and abrasive.

We spend $9 Billion on importing fighter jets from other countries. Can't we spend 1/3rd of that on good police cruisers for our major metropolises initially ???
Old 25th October 2006, 09:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Then there is also a question of image...with India a growing country...our policemen too deserve cars that are comparable to cruisers in other developed countries so that they too have a high morale and self-esteem and they can look anyone in the eye. We live in a globalized world ya know.

No joe from another country should jump in and make fun of us saying...'hey look these Indian cops drive in these friggin accents' !
Old 25th October 2006, 09:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

ok people get ready to see a lot of Crashed Hyundai Accents on road...i doubt the cops will be able to handle all that power even though they go for traning.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Now the cops will see how difficult it is for Car Drivers to negotiate with the busy roads and traffic snarls.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb
The cops have a budget. They take out a tender whenever they need more vehicles for their fleet. All companies bid (Mahindra,Suzuki, Toyota..etc) for the contract.
Quote:
After the arrival of Qualis (diesel, more space, power, FE)...Suzuki (Gypsy) lost bids in many states...that is why you see so many Qualis PCR vans on our roads

When our MPs/MLAs get an esteem/ambassador/ikon at the maximum what makes you think they will allow poor old constables to ride on Superbs?? in this case the accents were gifted to them...otherwise they wouldn't have even dreamt of getting one. Lets pray...other companies follow suit!! like you even i would like to see cop cars like in the west...but we are far from that dream.

if you ask me..in realistic terms the zen could have been a good cop car for the cities!! compact cars can roam in more freely in the bylanes than a proper big car!! remove the rear seats..add in all your cop gizmos...the trademark red and blue lights on top..it could be a good alternative for... say a qualis in congested cities like delhi/b'lore!! and now with the zen being discontinued the cops can get the zens at a bargain basement price!! what say?? shall we call the commissioner??
thats not the way it is done, ashutosh. there is a dept called DGS&D (Directorate General of Supplies & Disposals). any mfr. could get his product regd. with this dept.(from a safety pin to a Truck) for a fixed price agreed by both the govt. as well as the seller. say, a qualis that we buy OTR for 7.5L will be fixed at 6.5L at DGS&D. Initially only Ambassador, 118NE & Maruti Gypsy & Omni were available through DGS&D. Now toyota has put in qualis as well. maybe the innova is next or it is already there.

any govt. dept. which wants to make a purchase, say an AC or a Car or a Comp. can check with the dealer for DGS&D prices. if available they can directly procure it without any bids/tender. if it is not available, then they go for bids/tender.

If zen were to be used instead of a qualis, where will you load the criminals that they pick up from the street. certainly cant keep them in your lap. lol so i think that call can wait. cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th October 2006 at 10:47.
Old 25th October 2006, 10:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
ok people get ready to see a lot of Crashed Hyundai Accents on road...i doubt the cops will be able to handle all that power even though they go for traning.
you make it sound as if they were driving bullock-carts before ..ehh ?
Old 25th October 2006, 10:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

>>When our MPs/MLAs get an esteem/ambassador/ikon at the maximum what makes you think they will allow poor old constables to ride on Superbs??

MP's and MLA's do not get anything. What the MP's get is the MP Bus that ferries them from Parliament back into the MP hostel...if they are lodged there.

There are still some modest Members of Parliament who use the services of the MP bus. Especially some old-school communist and Gandhian types and some out of station ones from the North-East and other far off places.

Then there are some crooked ones who drive in with Bentleys and X5's etc.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
OT: More funnier than that, expect our movies with cop heroes now using Accents to fly over flyovers and trees
Old 25th October 2006, 11:14   #29
BHPian

Hey, I really dont know how much benefit the citizens of the country will get. The other day there was an article in the paper on how an SP's wife and mother-in-law were killed in a road accident when returning from their home town. While I felt sad for his loss and the fact that road accidents continue to occur and affect so many people on a daily basis, i also recall reading that they were travelling in a police vehicle - it looked like they had made a personal trip in an official vehicle.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but I think this should indicate to us that we ordinary citizens will not be the ones to benefit from this generous gift by Hyundai, but instead we may have children of police folks travelling to school and college in style and their families visiting their hometowns in comfort instead.
Old 25th October 2006, 11:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej
Hey, I really dont know how much benefit the citizens of the country will get. The other day there was an article in the paper on how an SP's wife and mother-in-law were killed in a road accident when returning from their home town. While I felt sad for his loss and the fact that road accidents continue to occur and affect so many people on a daily basis, i also recall reading that they were travelling in a police vehicle - it looked like they had made a personal trip in an official vehicle.

I would love to be wrong on this one, but I think this should indicate to us that we ordinary citizens will not be the ones to benefit from this generous gift by Hyundai, but instead we may have children of police folks travelling to school and college in style and their families visiting their hometowns in comfort instead.
i dont think that could happen in a white car with POLICE written on all sides & flashing lights on the top. In a Jeep or van, yes, but not in a cop accent.(I hope so)
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks