Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 23:48   #106
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Yes, this is not a 20L car in the US as well. See the Jeep Compass prices start USD 19,940 in the US and that is less than 13,00,000 INR. Certainly cannot be 20L INR for the base model.
http://www.palmenmotors.com/clp-2017...7-jeep-compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
As others have said, it does look like a budget car and nowhere near a 20L one.
If the shocker is the US pricing, it should be 13L INR ex-showroom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
The Compass is going to be launched in July with a shocker of a price. What I've been told, and I'm taking this with a pinch of salt, albeit small, is that the range will start from around 16L (!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I also checked with my guys there and they are now talking about June end launch. Pricing info is still the same though (17-20.5 lacs ex-showroom) with Automatic being launched in Oct.
Well, Compass could beat the Yeti on price to feature if they match the US pricing here
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Consider this Jeep Compass which is a Size bigger than the Yeti - it can be compared roughly to the Q5 segment. If it is sitting around at 34L on road, then from this point of view and in today's pricing climate, it can be considered as a good price, keeping in mind that the new Yeti itself is priced around 30L on road.
The shocker in the Jeep Compass could be the mileage. Around 23-30 mpg means this is a gas guzzler. What we save on the vehicle, we lose at the fuel station
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompass2017.jpg  

bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 00:15   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Yes, this is not a 20L car in the US as well. See the Jeep Compass prices start USD 19,940 in the US and that is less than 13,00,000 INR. Certainly cannot be 20L INR for the base model.
We can't really estimate the Indian Price based on US MSRP. There are various elements to Indian pricing including taxes.

To make it simple, the Toyota Camry in USA starts at $23,000 (Equates to 15L INR). While the Camry in India is priced at Rs. 30.7L Ex-showroom Delhi.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 23rd May 2017 at 00:19.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 07:30   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
We can't really estimate the Indian Price based on US MSRP. There are various elements to Indian pricing including taxes.

To make it simple, the Toyota Camry in USA starts at $23,000 (Equates to 15L INR). While the Camry in India is priced at Rs. 30.7L Ex-showroom Delhi.
The Camry is a CBU import with 135% duty levied hence it lands up very expensive in India. For CKD assembly cars, the India price should not be more than 25%-30% higher than the US prices. Actually Assembly, labor and materials like steel are cheaper in India but finished components still attract duties, which drives up prices. India is a good cost effective hub for manufacturing cars for Asia and Africa and that is why many manufacturers manufacture in India and export cars.
Old 23rd May 2017, 08:29   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
======
The shocker in the Jeep Compass could be the mileage. Around 23-30 mpg means this is a gas guzzler. What we save on the vehicle, we lose at the fuel station
Another reason the price and mileage cannot be compared - The US version is less advanced with an old and weezy 2.4 Litre engine from the Chrysler days. Also the US petrol version does not get the dual clutch transmission but gets a traditional torque converter instead. The Indian petrol version gets the advanced turbocharged 1.4 Litre multi air engine, which should get much better mileage. US mass market still thinks in "no replacement for displacement" theme and does not understand fully the benefits of turbocharging.

The drive experience of the Indian model should also be superior with the dual clutch transmission. For once, India will get a superior product than the US, but we will have to pay more as well.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd May 2017 at 22:45. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts for replies. Thanks.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Camry is a CBU import with 135% duty levied hence it lands up very expensive in India. .
Camry is not a CBU import. its a CKD. Its import from thailand or japan and TKM fits it together in India and sells it. Due to CKD it gets 70000/- rebate.

Accord Hybrid is CBU so it doesnt get a rebate.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 08:23   #111

Spotted a single Jeep Compass Test mule in Bangalore at the entrance to Electronics city, Phase 1

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompass.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 24th May 2017 at 08:52.
kuriancjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 14:54   #112
Senior - BHPian

With Tiguan (launched today), MU-X and Tucson prices, i am about to give up on expecting anything good from Compass

Looks like would have to buy XUV again.
Old 25th May 2017, 00:18   #113
Senior - BHPian

SPOTTED: JEEP Longitude on test

Spotted a convoy of JEEP Longitudes on test today.

The photographed car was one, out of a convoy of five. The size of the car in question was comparable to say, a Vitara Breeza. Or perhaps, just about a wee bit bigger.

Well, here are the pics:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_001.jpg

The rear:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_004.jpg

The JEEP Monogram, concealed:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_005.jpg

Disc brakes on all four wheels. Note the American made Firestone tyres. And also note the five lug nuts. Well engineered, I must admit.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_006.jpg

The interior. The transmission was a six speed manual, although when the car will be sold, an automatic transmission will also be offered as well.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_007.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-wp_20170524_008.jpg
FINTAIL is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 10:31   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
With Tiguan (launched today), MU-X and Tucson prices, i am about to give up on expecting anything good from Compass
Exactly my observation.

Hyundai made this segment premium by pricing the Tucson the way they did & VW followed suit. This will obviously make FCA price the Compass in the same ballpark and they cant be blamed.

I am pretty sure the Compass will start a lac or so above the Tucson if not more. A l-o-t of hopes dashed
Old 25th May 2017, 14:32   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I am pretty sure the Compass will start a lac or so above the Tucson if not more. A l-o-t of hopes dashed
I think Compass price will also depend on how many cars they want to sell in India and how many to export, which could be again be dependent on their total planned capacity
Old 25th May 2017, 15:44   #116
BHPian

At one point of time, selling 5000 units (month after month) of a vehicle priced 15 lakh or above, was almost unheard of. Especially by an Indian manufacturer. XUV came and changed the rules of the game.

With the growing aspirations of middle class and increasing number of people earning big moolah, similar opportunity exists now in 25 lakh bracket.

If a manufacturer could launch a premium SUV with all bells & whistles, with top end costing 25 lakhs OTR, they might just crack this market and hit 3-5k units a month.
Lets see who could set a cat among pigeons and spoil this over priced vehicle party.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: SPOTTED: JEEP Longitude on test

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Spotted a convoy of JEEP Longitudes on test today.
Were you the one wearing a bicycle helmet? I saw a guy taking photos with his Bicycle aside.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 15:59   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
At one point of time, selling 5000 units (month after month) of a vehicle priced 15 lakh or above, was almost unheard of. Especially by an Indian manufacturer. XUV came and changed the rules of the game.

With the growing aspirations of middle class and increasing number of people earning big moolah, similar opportunity exists now in 25 lakh bracket.

If a manufacturer could launch a premium SUV with all bells & whistles, with top end costing 25 lakhs OTR, they might just crack this market and hit 3-5k units a month.
Lets see who could set a cat among pigeons and spoil this over priced vehicle party.

14 years ago, those who bought a CRV were considered the Creme de la Creme.
Now for some people, buying a 50-60 lac car is considered passe!

Yes, I agree, for the regular Joe, at the 25 lacs OTR range, some of these aspirational vehicles will be quite achievable.

What is most irritating is that vehicles like the Fortuner and Innova as so ridiculously over priced here in India.

And the thing is, if the same vehicle costs so much less abroad, then why would one want to buy it here at these exorbitant prices?

Thats the one thing that I just can't come to terms with.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:00   #119
BANNED

Autocar India has driven the India Made compass in India in its Diesel 4x4 MT form in the june issue.

A few initial impressions they tell in the issue-

-The seating position is high, closer to climbing in than simply walk in
-the cruising ability is great and the insulation from the outside is great given the triple seals
-Misses key features like a Sunroof, auto headlamps/wipers and auto dimming IRVM
- The touchscreen even in the top end would be a smaller 7 inch one with big bezels(they offer a 9 inch one in US)
-Plastic quality is average but the build is solid and appears to be lasting
-Specially made for India rear seat bench with longer seat squab
- Nicely capable off road thanks to lockable 4wd and good ground clearance
-Multijet has some lag, but picks up pace well after 1800rpm
-ABS, ESP and all the jargon as standard
-To be shod with AT Firestone tyres(the brand was just launched in India, I wondered why )
- Expected price to be 18-25 lacs

Sorry, can't post photos since its a copyright material. Do check out the magazine if you're interested (I just used JioMags ) or just wait for them to put up the review on the website in a day or two
agambhandari is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 16:23   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Exactly my observation.

Hyundai made this segment premium by pricing the Tucson the way they did & VW followed suit. This will obviously make FCA price the Compass in the same ballpark and they cant be blamed.

Well then Tiguan and Compass will also follow Tucson in sales. I have not seen a single Tucson on road yet. I think most people stop at Creta. Anyone looking at Tucson/Santa Fe finds Fortuner/Endeavour better value for money. Same thing may happen to Compass/Tiguan. Novelty factor plus Jeep brand may pull in a few customers in initial months though.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks