Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2017, 22:30   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The 2L Multijet is going to be a gas guzzler. Not the same reputation as 1.6 Multijet
See link below:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/compa...6&submodel_id=
  • 2016 Jeep Compass Latitude 2.0L L4 GAS Automatic 6 Speed Sport Utility
    Added Jun 2016 • 10 Fuel-ups
If the mpg is similar in India, it might not be very popular

One more link of the 2 L engine.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Compass.shtml

If I am looking at the wrong engine, please correct
All of the engine variants mentioned in this link are petrol/gasoline engines. You can safely assume a mileage of around 16-18kmpl on highways for the 2L mjd diesel variant.
Old 5th June 2017, 23:19   #227
BANNED

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
The 2L Multijet is going to be a gas guzzler. Not the same reputation as 1.6 Multijet
See link below:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/compa...6&submodel_id=
  • 2016 Jeep Compass Latitude 2.0L L4 GAS Automatic 6 Speed Sport Utility
    Added Jun 2016 • 10 Fuel-ups
If the mpg is similar in India, it might not be very popular

One more link of the 2 L engine.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Compass.shtml

If I am looking at the wrong engine, please correct
This is the older compass and USA only gets Petrol options. And the cars in US are not tuned for fuel efficiency that well, especially jeeps which have a tuning to prevent anybody from thinking it is sluggish compared to their V8s and all.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 23:39   #228
Senior - BHPian

For those who missed the Compass review on ET Now. Its now available on YouTube.

rameshnanda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 23:59   #229
BANNED

The wheels look a little small for the vehicle height and size from some angles. Looks killer with the 18 inchers in the US models, would be interesting to see if the Ride quality is affected too much.

And in terms of sales number. If FCA is being ambitious, I think they should aim above 1000 units given that creta is selling at nearly 15-16 lacs ex showroom for its most popular models. It is doable if they can price it about 17 onwards.
Old 6th June 2017, 05:00   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The wheels look a little small for the vehicle height and size from some angles. Looks killer with the 18 inchers in the US models, would be interesting to see if the Ride quality is affected too much.

And in terms of sales number. If FCA is being ambitious, I think they should aim above 1000 units given that creta is selling at nearly 15-16 lacs ex showroom for its most popular models. It is doable if they can price it about 17 onwards.

You are spot on with your analysis. Considering the fortuner sells 2000+ units at 35L each Innova managing 6000+ at 20L and Creta almost 10000 at 16L each there's no reason why jeep should not target at least 1000 units. If all the humongous praise that autocar has bestowed it with (though the review seems to be too good to be true) I feel there would be huge waiting periods for the model. I wont be surprised if we see 6-9 months waiting periods like for the Ecosport and the First gen Fortuner.

Only limiting factor is the Jeep aftersales which is a completely unknown territory since all fiat dealers I knew in Meerut and east delhi have shut down in the past couple of years giving very little confidence for plonking 25L on a new car from a new manufacturer in India. If the waiting period is too much that might also act as a detterant for many buyers. FCA should produce alreast 1000+ units a month in the initial months because if there are cars on the road word of mouth publicity can do wonders for the product in the long run.
Old 6th June 2017, 05:41   #231
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Folks,
Just out of curiosity though, I have followed many threads before launch of the actual vehicle and many of these threads had reviews from one or the other car shows or magazines. I have not come across the statements " too good to be true" in abundance like what we have here, is it our mindset which is not allowing us to accept ?

There are videos available over the internet which shows the manufacturing process and many first in Industry techniques applied when building this car.
Also unlike most manufacturers this brand is offering the same quality what they export (minus some goodies) to us here in India. The car is not "India specific". Don't we deserve better cars ?

Why jump the gun and create a block in our minds without at least waiting till the actual car is launched and we see a review on this forum.
Slightly off topic but maybe this very own mindset of ours is slowly turning out to be a curse and seriously looks like down the line we all will be left to choose between 2/3 brands where most of us " blindly believe in".
Giving anybody a fair chance is necessary and the forum would anyways be open after the official review and the test drives we take to pump in feedback, till then let's have an open mindset and try to embrace things better without hard boundaries built in the mind.

Cheers,
Pradeep.

Last edited by pdma : 6th June 2017 at 05:50.
pdma is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 08:29   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys, got a call from Jeep today from some 020 number. They were saying the company is launching the Jeep Compass in June 15. I had shown interest in purchase and they said people from my local Fiat will be calling me in a day with the options and pricing.
Anyone got news on this.
I received a similar message, however it did not speak about launch or pricing but only mentioned that the COMPASS will be at "display" at Jeep Dealership [Landmark Jeep] in Moti Nagar, Delhi

I feel this stunt is similar to what Ford conducted with the Ecosport [except that the display is at Showrooms and not in public places like malls ]
Old 6th June 2017, 08:39   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
Giving anybody a fair chance is necessary and the forum would anyways be open after the official review and the test drives we take to pump in feedback, till then let's have an open mindset and try to embrace things better without hard boundaries built in the mind.

Yes and no. Everyone deserves a fair chance especially if FCA were to turn a leaf over in India. No machine is perfect. There is always something that is tuned differently at least mechanically. So each reviewer always has a bunch of good things to say and a bunch of negatives. Except for the touch screen everything in the Jeep seems to be spot on. I said in my previous post( #183) either Jeep nailed it or reviewer just got it wrong.

If you go back to Consumer Reports in the US , Fiat and Jeep took out the last 2 places for reliability for 16-17. No reviewer wants to mention this. I have had a Fiat for 5 years now and still can't get mudflaps for the car on a single visit. Have always ordered from Amazon.

As a part of this forum I now have matured greatly to understand and look beyond what a few magazines and reviewers have to say and would treat such articles videos as probably a well
worked out business preposition,the entire review of the Compass was like one way traffic.

Let's wait for the team bhp review and we will know what I mean.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 09:13   #234
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post

Only limiting factor is the Jeep aftersales which is a completely unknown territory since all fiat dealers I knew in Meerut and east delhi have shut down in the past couple of years giving very little confidence for plonking 25L on a new car from a new manufacturer in India. If the waiting period is too much that might also act as a detterant for many buyers. FCA should produce alreast 1000+ units a month in the initial months because if there are cars on the road word of mouth publicity can do wonders for the product in the long run.
I guess that was just because of the the small number and the overall small margin on the cheaper Fiat products. Jeep would definitely offer more value both to the customers and dealers, and I've seen some dealers in Ludhiana sticking to Fiat since it started operations in India. Even when the company's​ future was uncertain.

So I think it would vary from dealer to dealer, but yes FCA needs to bring in something that can bring in the numbers and cash for it's dealers.
Old 6th June 2017, 11:43   #235
Team-BHP Support

Most of the posts seem to have comparisons with Creta. So just putting the numbers into perspective so people can form their own reality of the expected prices.

I for one wouldn't be comparing it against Creta, but expecting Compass to undercut the Tucson by a fair margin.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-compass.jpg

*Information may not be accurate as they are based on pre-launch reports by magazines.
* The width of the Compass doesn't sound right, but is taken from the US website.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th June 2017 at 11:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 12:15   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey Guys, got a call from Jeep today from some 020 number. They were saying the company is launching the Jeep Compass in June 15.
I too received a call from Jeep India about an hour back. The lady informed me that the Compass will be available for display at Jeep Kochi from June 20 onwards. When asked about the price, she said they can't disclose it yet, but it will surely be below 20 lakhs (most probably ex showroom). I asked her specifically whether this is for the top end diesel MT, which she was unsure of. I'm wondering what to make out of it. Fingers crossed!
Old 6th June 2017, 13:54   #237
BANNED

Just called up Jeep showroom and they were accepting bookings for Compass at ₹1 lakh and were expecting it to be priced between ₹20 lakh and ₹30 lakh on road! With that kind of pricing Jeep Compass won't see four figure sales figures every month. The Creta which tops around ₹18 lakh on road for the top end version has around 10,000 customers each month, but those who go for the top end would be around 20-30%. So the kind of prospective customers for a 5 seater SUV at ₹18 lakh and above will be around 2000-3000.

With a expected price that starts from ₹20 lakh, there would be less than 1000 possible customers. A sensible option would be Base petrol at ₹18 lakh and the top end at ₹ 23 lakh and Base diesel at ₹20 lakh and top end at ₹26 lakh ( on road prices ). Anything more would be a disaster for FCA, if they are planning to succeed in India.

There is no point bringing in Innova and Fortuner as both have different set of customers and with the strong brand loyalty Toyota has built over a decade , not withstanding the niggles with the latest Innova. There is a very thin line of margin for error for FCA and it's not very often some manufacturer recovered after getting too ambitious in India. Hope they have looked into history books and spare us the ignominy of witnessing the same fate of their predecessors.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 14:14   #238
BHPian

Autocar India has come up with the first drive of Jeep Compass.

Positives:
  • Styling. There is a proper SUV appeal.
  • Interiors feel top class.
  • Noise Insulations measures have worked well.
  • Ride and Handling are as per their DNA - Very Good / Excellent.
  • The second gen multijet engine is more refined, though not best in class.
  • Good Safety kit on offer.
  • Jeep pedigree.

Negatives
  • The touch screen is not good. Requires double taps most of the times.
  • Certain features omitted like Auto wipers, Auto lights, Sunroof, Auto dimming IRVM.
  • No 4L option.

They also say that the final tune and power delivery of multijet engine has not been finalized yet. They expect the vehicle to be launched in the price range of 20-25 lacs. If launched at this price it could be the new king of the value luxury SUV segment.

Last edited by PraNeel : 6th June 2017 at 14:36.
Old 6th June 2017, 15:02   #239
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Just called up Jeep showroom and they were accepting bookings for Compass at ₹1 lakh and were expecting it to be priced between ₹20 lakh and ₹30 lakh on road! With that kind of pricing Jeep Compass won't see four figure sales figures every month. The Creta which tops around ₹18 lakh on road for the top end version has around 10,000 customers each month, but those who go for the top end would be around 20-30%. So the kind of prospective customers for a 5 seater SUV at ₹18 lakh and above will be around 2000-3000.

With a expected price that starts from ₹20 lakh, there would be less than 1000 possible customers. A sensible option would be Base petrol at ₹18 lakh and the top end at ₹ 23 lakh and Base diesel at ₹20 lakh and top end at ₹26 lakh ( on road prices ). Anything more would be a disaster for FCA, if they are planning to succeed in India.
Even though there is a lot of comparisons with the Creta, I believe the Compass should be more in the company of a Tucson. It will be a decent start for the brand if they can undercut the Tucson pricing, and sell close to 1000-1500 units per month.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 15:32   #240
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even though there is a lot of comparisons with the Creta, I believe the Compass should be more in the company of a Tucson. It will be a decent start for the brand if they can undercut the Tucson pricing, and sell close to 1000-1500 units per month.
The Tucson starts at ₹23 lakh and ends at ₹31 lakh and sells around 100-200 every month. If Compass ventures near those prices, the results won't be different. FCA has to price it very well below Tucson, even with all the might of Hyundai, Tucson is a failure. FCA is no Huyndai, they are trying to gain a toe hold in India.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks