Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2017, 11:53   #856
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
With all due respect , you are comparing sub 4 meter cars with a size larger car, so don't really get the connect regarding Vitara Brezza. As per me it looks wider , taller and longer than a Creta.

Plus this one has sizable road presence compared to the baby SUV's we have in the segment right now.

Surely, Compass is not sub 4 meter but perceived width (especially in cabin), height are comparable. Also, the comparison was purely from size perspective and not from the Quality and Specifications perspective. As i have already mentioned before, for the product Compass is in it's top spec right now, i am ready to shell out upto 20L on road (almost 1.7-1.8 times that of brezza). For trailhawk version with diesel AT and sunroof, etc. 23-24 L On Road is acceptable. Creta being already overpriced for what it offers, there is not any point in comparing prices.

On the other hand, i don't understand what is taking FCA so long to finalize prices. I think they have a very desirable and competent product at hand and they should use this opportunity to establish strongly in this market. They need to first establish brand Jeep here and stabilize the FCA after-sales service network also to be able to command a premium pricing in the future. So, they should really play safe, avoid being greedy here and price the Compass on 'Manufacturing Cost+ Nominal Profits' basis rather than trying to achieve 'Maximum Possible/ Premium Pricing' at this point of time. Get the volumes first, which will give stability to aftersales service and dealer network, which will help revive brand Fiat also which they have been trying since decades.

Having bought two Fiats (1.6 and Punto MJD) in past decade, i am a big fan of FCA products and really want them to succeed; but, this can only happen with strong dealer and after sales service network. So, Playing safe and not goofing up on pricing is the key here

Last edited by tsk1979 : 30th June 2017 at 05:31.
Old 29th June 2017, 16:26   #857
BHPian

http://carsalesbase.com/us-sales-201...t-suv-segment/

check this out. Jeep Compass sales are down 58% YOY. It is not having a very good year looks like in US
Old 29th June 2017, 16:49   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_gaur69 View Post
http://carsalesbase.com/us-sales-201...t-suv-segment/

check this out. Jeep Compass sales are down 58% YOY. It is not having a very good year looks like in US
The new model deliveries are yet to begin with full force while the older model sales are winding down.

Happens to every manufacturer and there is no reason to raise alarm or panic .
Ragavsr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 18:19   #859
BHPian

I just came across this: http://www.consumerreports.org/2017-...in-last-place/

Consumer reports seems to have quite a poor opinion of the Jeep compass. It's obviously not the same car that sold in India, nevertheless, this is worth considering.
Old 29th June 2017, 18:29   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I just came across this: http://www.consumerreports.org/2017-...in-last-place/

Consumer reports seems to have quite a poor opinion of the Jeep compass. It's obviously not the same car that sold in India, nevertheless, this is worth considering.
If the reviews are not of the same car/model that is sold in India how are the reviews relevant. The old platform is junked and a new one is created. Probably we need to wait for the issues reported on the new platform before writing it off or have preconceived notion on the vehicle. Shouldn't this logic apply to all brands?
nkrishnap is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 18:34   #861
BHPian

Everyone is excited about this product as it promises to provide better quality, driving dynamics etc. in a segment which is largely considered to be consisting of overpriced and ordinary crossovers like Creta and Duster. 1000 bookings in 3 days without information on prices, no test drives, known poor after sales network is also strange. But I guess people are excited because something really different is launching and the promise is immense. Whether it lives up to the promise only time will tell. Pricing will be the first decider, then comes the actual review which we all are waiting for. Though there are innumerable reviews already available online, the TeamBHP review is what will ultimately help a lot of people here decide.
Old 29th June 2017, 18:34   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If the reviews are not of the same car/model that is sold in India how are the reviews relevant. The old platform is junked and a new one is created. Probably we need to wait for the issues reported on the new platform before writing it off or have preconceived notion on the vehicle. Shouldn't this logic apply to all brands?
You misunderstand or you have not read the article. Only the choice of engines and transmissions are different from what would be available in India. The car is indeed the 2017 model that will be sold here.

The US is Jeep's home market so I am surprised that they have not managed to make it higher up the rankings.
Old 29th June 2017, 19:03   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car is indeed the 2017 model that will be sold here.
True. Here's what I take from it -

1. The first issue they've noted is the price.

It is priced higher than the competition in the US Market with prices ranging from $20,995 till $28.995/- for the Trailhawk model tested, whereas Tucson and CRV generally has the best models around the $24k - $26k range.

Relevant to India? No. Forget pricing above Tucson. People are expecting it to be priced closer to Creta instead.

2. Second issue is with the engine and transmission.

Relevant to India? No. We get the FIAT derived 1.4 Multiair instead of the Chrysler derived 2.4 they get. Plus the highlight here is the 2.0 Multijet diesel.

3. Steering is slow and reluctant. Relevant to India? Need to wait for the Team Bhp review, but most reviews till now suggest the steering is very well tuned for our market. Some even suggest that it is in the league of the Fiesta!

4. Ride is bumpy. Relevant to India? This point was mentioned in the UAE review someone posted last day as well. Could be due to the optional 19inch rims on the Trailhawk. We get 17 inch wheels here.

5. Seat comfort - It's a narrow cabin for five, but space in the seats for four doesn't seem to an issue. Relevant to India? Again, US perception of size differs a lot from us Indians. There is no denying that it is a more suited for four people than five.

6. Safety features are not standard. Relevant to India? I don't see any other vehicle in and around it's class with a better list of standard safety features. So I would say no again.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 19:30   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True. Here's what I take from it -
You are considering the parts in isolation instead of the whole. For the compass to be ranked last in its home market where there is plenty of choice says a lot about the company and its mindset. Jeep is no land rover - other than the classic Jeep Wrangler no other model is really renowned for their off-road prowess. They aren't known for much else either other than being generally good cars. However, their sales figures have seen a steady improvement over the last few years, so they must be doing something right.

In India, the parent company FCA doesn't have a stellar reputation with car buyers. They haven't launched a new car in years and their sales are negligible. By making India the export base for rhd compasses, they are finally making use of the investment they have sunk into their Ranjangaon plant. They have turned out to be another Nissan or Ford, with exports higher than local sales.

My point with all this is to ask whether FCA is really committed to India and Indian car buyers.

If the Jeep compass is competing with the Hyundai creta, I think that Hyundai has nothing to worry about. The creta may itself have some faults but the overall experience must be good enough that customers are paying a premium price.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th June 2017 at 20:11. Reason: Please avoid quoting the entire post that you intend to reply to, as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks:)
Old 29th June 2017, 20:08   #865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are considering the parts in isolation instead of the whole.
My bad. I thought you were looking at an objective analysis.

Quote:
For the compass to be ranked last in its home market where there is plenty of choice says a lot about the company and its mindset.
Agreed.

However, since we are not in the US, I'd look at a similar price bracket and see whether the other options available would do better? Which of these options do you think should get a favourable review in the US?

Creta / XUV 5OO / Hexa / Duster? Even the Tucson and Tiguan are considered budget players there.

It's a totally different market. Remember even the Civic is not getting CR recommendations from past two generations. We have more to worry with our market itself.

Quote:
My point with all this is to ask whether FCA is really committed to India and Indian car buyers.
People have been asking this question for years now. You have to stand in queue to get answers.

Quote:
They have turned out to be another Nissan or Ford, with exports higher than local sales.
Thankfully not GM.

Quote:
I think that Hyundai has nothing to worry about.
Defenitely not. Hyundai has established itself over the years and they won't stand to loose fighting FCA, specially since Compass will anyways be priced higher. Creta is a well rounded product IMO and the car + brand presents a good case for itself.

However, Compass does give an option to the market, a quality one at that, from the looks of it. People who value a better car more than a closer relationship with the service advisor will have one option to choose from.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th June 2017 at 20:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 23:48   #866
BHPian

Quote:
The US is Jeep's home market so I am surprised that they have not managed to make it higher up the rankings.
The CR car reviews are horrendously biased towards Toyotas and Hondas . They simply thrash all American cars . They have no iota of credibility left when it comes to cars.

They seam to give too many points to reliability and creative features .
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.t...orts-autopilot

You can't give a car top score just because it has good reliability and gimmicky features.

Their reviews are very objective and they review cars just like washing machines and fridges. Fortunately , there are finer things to a car like ride , handling , steering feel etc.

No enthusiast ever considers CR's review to be Frank, and ranking last in their ignorant way of ranking and reviewing cars simply won't stop me from buying a Jeep whatsoever.
Ragavsr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 04:47   #867
BHPian

Quote:

For the compass to be ranked last in its home market where there is plenty of choice says a lot about the company and its mindset.

However, their sales figures have seen a steady improvement over the last few years, so they must be doing something right.
Below are some numbers

Quote:
Jeep is a comparative volume play. Last year FCA US LLC delivered 926,376 Jeeps. Walter P. Chrysler and the Dodge Brothers must be spinning at high velocity in their graves, because the U.S. total for Chrysler brand was 231,972, and Dodge was 506,858. The sum of the two - 738,830 - is well shy of Jeep's sales.

On a global basis, Jeep sold some 1.4 million units in 2016. It is looking to increase that number to about 2 million by 2020.
source - http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/03/a...esla-its-jeep/

9.26 Lakh Jeeps sold in 2016 in the US !!

Appear to be a appreciable number for any manufacturer I suppose
PS - I do not know how many numbers the other companies sell in the same category.

They must be doing something right!
And this with the decade old - extremely vilified (justly) platform

The new 2017 Jeep Compass - shares only its Name Plate with the earlier iteration.

The 2017 Model - All New - Compass might be able to add significantly to the total # of Jeeps sold in 2017.

Last edited by PM - B : 30th June 2017 at 04:49.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 08:45   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

What's wrong with rating reliable cars highly? Team BHP and members here regularly bash Tata for reliability, whether its deserved or not. Many people will shy away from products if they are perceived to be unreliable, objectivity be damned. It seems the average American drives the equivalent of almost 20,000 km every year. With such a high dependency on their cars, reliability is probably one of the more important things that is considered when buying a car.

Quote:

You can't give a car top score just because it has good reliability and gimmicky features.
The report is very clear that consumer reports subtracted points because a feature that Tesla said would be there, wasn't. They did restore the points after Tesla upgraded the software to add the feature. The feature in question is automatic emergency braking. It's a safety feature that I think is very important in the US where speeds are high and car accidents are high.

Quote:
Their reviews are very objective and they review cars just like washing machines and fridges. Fortunately , there are finer things to a car like ride , handling , steering feel etc.
Their objectivity is what gives them credibility. Ride, handling and steering feel are objective qualities. What's subjective is whether you like what's on offer. At the end of the day, the consumer makes his or her own choice.

Quote:
No enthusiast ever considers CR's review to be Frank, and ranking last in their ignorant way of ranking and reviewing cars simply won't stop me from buying a Jeep whatsoever.
I have never been to America nor done any research on American car buying habits. So I don't know if your statement has any merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM - B View Post
Below are some numbers
They must be doing something right!
And this with the decade old - extremely vilified (justly) platform

The new 2017 Jeep Compass - shares only its Name Plate with the earlier iteration.

The 2017 Model - All New - Compass might be able to add significantly to the total # of Jeeps sold in 2017.
This site has good information on sales figures for the US: http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/p/sales...gment.html?m=1

Most car reviewers usually gush about how nice a new foreign car is. I hope that the Jeep compass is a credible offering in our market with a committed manufacturer. This is one of the ingredients that makes for a long term relationship with car buyers.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 10:26   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
The CR car reviews are horrendously biased towards Toyotas and Hondas . They simply thrash all American cars . They have no iota of credibility left when it comes to cars.

Er.. no. They definitely can give a car top score because of it's reliability. Consumer Reports is just that, it focuses on the consumer. Not the enthusiast. Hence they rank safety, reliability and comfort features higher. Other magazines may rate handling, feel and fancy motor jargon over this. Let's not fault CR for staying true to their roots.

All consumers are not enthusiasts. All enthusiasts are consumers. But who is the real customer? Hmm... Time for venn diagrams?
Mad Max is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 14:14   #870
BHPian

I think it is high time Jeep makes their next move in the next few hours to reverse the waning interest levels and catalyze some excitement. All the forums out there have debated Compass to a point of ad nauseam.

And it might be helpful to restrict discussions to Jeep Compass alone. At least the resulting inactivity in such forums will wake up FCA to expedite matters a bit.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks