Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 19:52   #421
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post

The difference in performance between an AWD and a 4WD can be clearly seen in their off-roading abilities.
What is the exact technical difference between a AWD and a 4x4/4WD? I mean what exact components in the drivetrain differenciates a 4WD from a AWD?
Or these are just marketing terminologies?
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 19:56   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I had missed out on this pic by CrAzY dRiVeR before. This is the manual version and there is no 4WD low button. Hope this clarifies.
Quote:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are not.
Maybe i shouldn't get into this being only a chair offroader but this seems not said enough.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-off1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-off2.jpg

Now going by the drive mode controls shown here by CrazyDriver of the supposedly Indian version, the 4-Low is missing.
So the Indian Compass range has an AWD.

In the Trailhawk version abroad, 4-Low is present even if it's a CVT related setting. So the International Compass range has a 4WD.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-comb.jpg
SandyX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 19:56   #423
Senior - BHPian

Going by this:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...ed-106633.html
it would appear that Compass is AWD. Not the 4WD of a kind that is most potent when the central differential, if present, is locked - equivalent of a Gypsy in 4WD mode - but that cannot be used on tarmac without driveline damage. Again, just like the Gypsy which keeps things simple and cheap by not having a centre diff at all.

As explained on the site there are the classic Jeeps still sold that are 4WD of the kind meant for extreme off roading - the Wrangler - but Compass is not one of these. And that there are enough Jeep drive systems to confuse the hell out of everybody.

And based on the Jeep US site, Compass has two kind of AWD - with and without low range. The latter is meant for slow rock climbing, but is still AWD. Perhaps more potent that other AWDs, because AWD means a range of things. Audi Quattro sedans and sports cars as one example, are also AWDs, but for better roadholding and cornering. Nothing to do with off roading.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th June 2017 at 20:03.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:40   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are not.

While VW Tiguan is an AWD, Jeep Compass is a 4x4 or a 4WD.
I can't argue any longer and it does not matter what you have mentioned in earlier posts. If calling the Jeep Compass drivetrain a 4WD makes one happy, so be it. To me and to the old school people, it is an AWD. No further discussion on this from my side.
BlackPearl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:41   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post

In the Trailhawk version abroad, 4-Low is present even if it's a CVT related setting. So the International Compass range has a 4WD.

Attachment 1648339
Its a FWD vehicle by default on normal terrain (when Terrain Traction Management System is set to 'AUTO') and with 4WD lock, it can run like full time 4x4 / AWD

See the very first page on this thread

"The Compass features the company's four-wheel drive technology (known as Jeep Active Drive), which is equipped with Selec-Terrain Traction Management System. This system allows the driver to choose a drive mode based on the terrain the vehicle is being driven on including snow, sand and mud. The system also has an auto mode, which automatically switches between front-wheel drive and four-wheel drive based on the conditions and driving style. The system disconnects the drive going to the rear wheels through 'Driveline Disconnect Technology (DDT)"

Last edited by LionX : 14th June 2017 at 20:48.
LionX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:53   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
To me and to the old school people, it is an AWD.
I agree, with the caveat that other things like clearance, approach/departure/break over angles, engine mapping and the like also matter to the off road capability of a car with AWD - which in itself can mean many things.

And ironically, if the cost of the AWD/4WD Compass is over 20 lakhs, no owner will take it where true off road capability gets tested anyway, so this discussion is academic and not worth pursuing.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 22:00   #427
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I agree, with the caveat that other things like clearance, approach/departure/break over angles, engine mapping and the like also matter

And ironically, if the cost of the AWD/4WD Compass is over 20 lakhs, no owner will take it where true off road capability gets tested anyway, so this discussion is academic and not worth pursuing.

I agree.
Thats why while I already have an AWD (quite an expensive one by my standards), which is highly capable on and off road as per all the reviews and videos and posts, I also went and bought that Old Gypsy to play with in the mud and muck.
The modern AWD vehicles are mostly used in countries where snow and ice are regular features.
I really wouldnt take my AWD deep into water or the jungle or onto rocks.
I would however take my beater Gypsy anywhere and everywhere....
The Jeep Compass will be no different in terms of most people's treatment of it. All that the AWD will give one, is the psychological comfort of go anywhere, because 95% of the time that vehicle will only be commuting from home to office and back with the occasional road trip thrown in.
Old 14th June 2017, 22:07   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I hope for this car's namesake they add a compass in the MID. Will be sacrilege that a car named compass doesn't get a compass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
There is one in the 7" screen.
Here's a screenshot from the Autocar review.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-vlcsnap2017061421h57m49s690.png

As someone who's eagerly considering the Compass as my next upgrade, here's what I could deduce. Certain missing niceties (diesel AT, sunroof, auto headlamps/wipers, LED headlamps, front parking sensors, smaller infotainment screen, cruise control, sophisticated MID, 3 zone climate control) hint that Jeep is targeting an aggressive price. But this being India, we have seen manufacturers getting away with insane pricing. Every review is overwhelmingly positive and it seems Jeep has got a well-engineered, robustly built car that can satisfy an enthusiast both on and off-road. The agonising wait continues

Last edited by GKR9900 : 14th June 2017 at 22:09.
GKR9900 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 22:10   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Walkaround video covering exteriors and interiors by
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 22:22   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Compass is a competitor to Tuscon. 15 Lakh, even for a base petrol sounds too optimistic. Unless they offer a completely stripped down version, anything below 22 lacs on road, I would be super surprised.

You missed the basic differentiating factor - local parts sourcing and manufacturing!!

The Tucson doesn't get that advantage.

So 15 lacs for the base model diesel wouldn't be very surprising after all.
Old 15th June 2017, 01:24   #431
BHPian

Jeep Compass Review by CarWale https://www.carwale.com/jeep-cars/co...-reviews-29527
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 06:04   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
95% of the time that vehicle will only be commuting from home to office and back with the occasional road trip thrown in.
And as they say in the US, you never know when the AWD may be useful to mount the kerb, for parking
As to Indian cars with insane pricing, there is a consequence to that - low volumes. I don't know of any car with that kind of pricing that does the kind of numbers needed to justify localisation. Fortuner/Innova used to be the exception, and perhaps still are, that deliver volumes in spite of insane price levels.
Car maker price managers aren't irrational people, much as one would like to think them so because one does not like the price point and the pricing will also depend on volume expectations. Of course this car may deliver adequate volumes independently of the Indian market because India will also suppy the UK market, I understand. With probably some more countries, and if that is the case, the price in India may not be at the levels needed to generate volumes just in India.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:17   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Interiors pic from above carwale review:

Are my eyes mis-judging or is the interior space really so narrow? Interior width space looks to me like that in a C segment car.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 08:24   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Are my eyes mis-judging or is the interior space really so narrow? Interior width space looks to me like that in a C segment car.
Caranddriver, among other sites, have this way of presenting interior dimensions which I have compiled together. Although numbers don't tell the full story, we can have some idea about the expected interior space.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-ctq1.jpg

Compass is marginally ahead of the Tucson in leg room. Compass lags behind in terms of rear seat width as is evident from the second hip room. Some of the reviews that were posted above had also noted the same. I've thrown in the Audi Q3 just for the sake of comparison. Jeep, don't get any wrong ideas!!

Posting this pic which explains how hip and shoulder rooms differ from each other
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-id.jpg

Last edited by GKR9900 : 15th June 2017 at 08:40.
GKR9900 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 08:28   #435
BANNED

While the top trim looks very desirable with a good feature set, the lowest one is quite barebones and even the Longitude isn't much better. Though good to see ESP present in the car.
But the thing is even if they price the base model at 15 lacs, it is so barebones that it lacks alloys and a touchscreen and comes with only 2 airbags whereas the creta comes with all that and more. And from what it looks like, the interior space is only a little better if not the same. The difference then, would be in the drivetrains and I don't know if the 2.0L engine and it's power and lower FE could convince buyers.

The top trims still more make sense IMO, the base could be made cheaper with a 1.6 engine maybe (if it gets localised) or at least offered with a 4x4 so that it has a proper USP
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks