Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 08:42   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Though I'm remotely not a SUV guy, the styling is good in the Jeep Compass be it interior or exterior. The sales will be dependent on more than just the brand, the car or its performance, all of which will be good given that it is a Jeep. Since this is a completely new brand for the country the following factors come into play :

1) Short-term reliability : Should be known in the first year of ownership.

2) Service support : Service locations, efficiency of service, trouble shooting ability, warranty terms etc.

3) Long-term reliability : The short term reliability would be a hint but things will be known only after 3+ years or 50,000 kms of ownership/driving.

4) Resale : It will be lower than the similarly positioned models of more locally-established brands but if the car can tackle the above 3 points successfully then resale should be no problem.
dark.knight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 09:46   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Interiors pic from above carwale review:

Are my eyes mis-judging or is the interior space really so narrow? Interior width space looks to me like that in a C segment car.
The Compass is pretty much a compact SUV, so your eyes aren't playing tricks with you. With this iteration, it looks a lot bigger than it is, or atleast gives that impression as it borrows its face from its older sibling the Grand Cherokee, so we tend to associate that with a much bigger vehicle.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 10:10   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
As I mentioned in my earlier post, they are not.

While VW Tiguan is an AWD, Jeep Compass is a 4x4 or a 4WD.
I would beg to differ on your statement above.

Both the Tiguan and the Compass have transversely mounted engines delivering primary power to the front wheels, with a rear driveshaft delivering power to the rear wheels on demand, varying the torque delivery to the rear wheels as decided by a computer (the TCM). This is unlike the Compass' elder brother, the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Driven: 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland)'s longitudinal engine layout, delivering primary drive to the rear wheels, as well as to the front wheels through a transfer case and centre differential (similar to the Fortuner's Full Time 4wd setup).

On-demand 4wd systems usually use the AWD nomenclature, but in certain instances, manufacturers also use the term 4WD (such as in the Honda CR-V) to describe their on-demand 4wd systems. So, in a sense, calling the Compass a 4WD or 4x4 is not entirely wrong, but the Tiguan can also be called the same.

Further details about different types of 4wd systems can be studied & discussed at this thread.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th June 2017 at 10:13.
SS-Traveller is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 13:32   #439
Senior - BHPian

Any confirmation on compass being displayed in showroom from today?
Old 15th June 2017, 13:33   #440
BHPian

There is an article in ibnlive (claiming exclusive news) that compass will be priced from 18L ex showroom. Given the feature set of base model, I think price is steep if it is indeed right.
Old 15th June 2017, 13:43   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
There is an article in ibnlive (claiming exclusive news) that compass will be priced from 18L ex showroom. Given the feature set of base model, I think price is steep if it is indeed right.
Sharing the link for the same.
Pricing looks steep, but let the full features get listed, it might show a different picture. But this price has definitely put off my hope of booking a jeep.
Jeep Compass price starts at 18 lakh

Last edited by appu.bhandari : 15th June 2017 at 13:45.
Old 15th June 2017, 14:16   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
Pricing looks steep, but let the full features get listed, it might show a different picture. But this price has definitely put off my hope of booking a jeep.
Jeep Compass price starts at 18 lakh
Their source is a dealer, and dealers are quoting various launch prices. For example - Landmark Jeep Motinagar is quoting a launch price of INR 15 lacs and same dealer's another showroom at Mathura Road is quoting INR 18 lacs. From what I have gathered from various media reports and Jeep's own statements, they are going to price it very aggressively. And INR 1 lac lower than the overpriced Tucson with a product which has lesser features than the Tucson is not aggressive at all. It just does not add up.

For the volumes Jeep is targeting (which I assume would be greater than 1000 units a month after investing INR 1800 cr in the Ranjangao plant), they will have to be in the 15-20 lacs bracket. And 80% localization with a lower specced product and an inhouse engine should enable that.
reddevilgautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 14:48   #443
BHPian

Jeep Compass first drive by Motown India

GKR9900 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:29   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Is is marginally ahead of the Tucson in leg room. Compass lags behind in terms of rear seat width as is evident from the second hip room. Some of the reviews that were posted above had also noted the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Are my eyes mis-judging or is the interior space really so narrow? Interior width space looks to me like that in a C segment car.
It is quiet good for the segment that it is targeting, infact the footwell space is really good. Rear bench width is iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
While the top trim looks very desirable with a good feature set, the lowest one is quite barebones and even the Longitude isn't much better.
If they price it barebones, then it has potential to kill the market. The way it drives and rides, current competition has a tough time ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
2) Service support : Service locations, efficiency of service, trouble shooting ability, warranty terms etc.
Confirmed MOPAR is coming into India, and they are having some ambitious investments plans. Going to support this car too

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The Compass is pretty much a compact SUV, so your eyes aren't playing tricks with you.
Spot on for the size of the car, it is quite spacious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Any confirmation on compass being displayed in showroom from today?
Don't expect anything before August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Might be even lower, point is they have taken feedbacks from almost all and if they are smart expect a killer price, maybe an "introductory one" but nevertheless.

Quote:
Pray pray and pray for Jeep to surprise all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Their source is a dealer, and dealers are quoting various launch prices.
====
And 80% localization with a lower specced product and an inhouse engine should enable that.
Currently localisation is at 6x% only, but they are very serious about a competitive pricing. We have to wait and watch.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th June 2017 at 07:10. Reason: Typo. :)
Jaggu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:41   #445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It is quiet good for the segment that it is targeting, infact the footwell space is really good. Rear bench width is iffy.
So can this be taken as the confirmation that Team-Bhp was part of the event and the review is in progress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Jeep Compass first drive by Motown India
Instead of hiding these volume control and mute buttons behind the steering wheel, Jeep could have used the dummy buttons wisely.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-screenshot_2017061515341572.png

Quote:
If they price it barebones, then it has potential to kill the market. The way it drives and rides, current competition has a tough time ahead.
Not the first time this company is bringing out products that drives and rides well. Success will need a lot more than pricing. A good product may get them going, but killing the market solely depends on how fast they can get up on their feet with MOPAR.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th June 2017 at 15:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:55   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Instead of hiding these volume control and mute buttons behind the steering wheel, Jeep could have used the dummy buttons wisely.

Not the first time this company is bringing out products that drives and rides well. Success will need a lot more than pricing. A good product may get them going, but killing the market solely depends on how fast they can get up on their feet with MOPAR.
+100 to the comment on the dummy buttons. They could have placed these at the vacant slot to remove the eye sore empty slots.

This company knows to make products but doesn't know how to keep its customers happy, thanks to their lousy dealer personnel.
Old 15th June 2017, 16:22   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Pray pray and pray for Jeep to surprise all of us
Hoping against hope for that and hence the wait for almost 5 months to book a car. Else Hexa or Creta would be in our garage by now.
Old 15th June 2017, 17:03   #448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hoping against hope for that and hence the wait for almost 5 months to book a car. Else Hexa or Creta would be in our garage by now.
I had an eye on the upcoming S-Cross 1.6 Facelift. But if Jeep prices Compass well, even the base variant Compass looks mechanically better all of a sudden. Sure, it might miss few features, but the basics are all better.

2.0 Multijet v/s 1.6 Multijet.
173bhp v/s 118hp
350Nm v/s 320Nm

Much better looks.
Plus safety includes Stability Control and Traction Control. Covers all wheel discs and dual airbags that SCross has.

If they can get the base variant at a reasonable premium above the SCross 1.6 - a new budget torque king will be born. Funny - with all the focus on Creta, even I didnt see it could be a driver's choice, specially the base budget variants. I'll be happier to get a base Compass over the top end SCross 1.6 for a premium of about 2-3L.

PS - Assumptions based on reviews that it will ride/handle as good or better than SCross 1.6. But need to wait for Team-bhp review.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th June 2017 at 17:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 17:21   #449
BHPian

Checked with LandMark Mathura Road, the display vehicles have not arrived. The display vehicles will not arrive for next 5 days, 20th June is when it will be displayed. Not a good start, I hope they dont go Fiat Uno way, create enough traction, get booking and then all downhill.
Old 15th June 2017, 17:35   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I had an eye on the upcoming S-Cross 1.6 Facelift. But if Jeep prices Compass well, even the base variant Compass looks mechanically better all of a sudden. Sure, it might miss few features, but the basics are all better.

2.0 Multijet v/s 1.6 Multijet.
173bhp v/s 118hp
350Nm v/s 320Nm

Much better looks.
Plus safety includes Stability Control and Traction Control. Covers all wheel discs and dual airbags that SCross has.

If they can get the base variant at a reasonable premium above the SCross 1.6 - a new budget torque king will be born. Funny - with all the focus on Creta, even I didnt see it could be a driver's choice, specially the base budget variants. I'll be happier to get a base Compass over the top end SCross 1.6 for a premium of about 2-3L.

PS - Assumptions based on reviews that it will ride/handle as good or better than SCross 1.6. But need to wait for Team-bhp review.

I'm not sure if Maruti is going to give a second push to the 1.6 S-Cross. Supply of 1.6 has stopped quite sometime ago and since Fiat ain't manufacturing the 1.6 locally anytime soon, I don't see the face lifted s-cross coming with this at all. Although there were some reports that Fiat has agreed to supply 1.6 and 2.0 engine to Tata and Fiat, I don't think it's this year for sure.

Secondly, having driven a S-Cross, I felt that the vehicle just didn't feel special in any way. It's no Creta in terms of interiors nor presence and neither can it match the build and quality of say a Vento or a Rapid, even though similarly priced.

The quality levels that are being spoke of in the Jeep Compass seem better than what is being offered by VW in the Vento, so essentially the Compass at least on paper, seems a far better vehicle than the s-cross.

Sure, other variables like servicing, spares are a different topic, but in terms of fundamentals, the Compass should be at least 1 level higher than the S-Cross.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks