Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2017, 13:30   #541
J.Ravi

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Perfect for me.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! With the pure J Compass out of my radar, I seriously consider the poser, the would-be facelifted XUV 500 W10 AWD with a more powerful engine as the successor to my XUV 500 W8 FWD in 2018.
  (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:42   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure!
Wrong analogy, you are not an SUV customer. If your needs are perfectly satisfied by XUV, which is a 7-seater mini van, then that's what you should buy. No point coming into a Jeep thread and trash it for not being a minivan. I don't go into i20 thread trash it for not having 4WD.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th June 2017 at 14:10.
Samurai is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:51   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wrong analogy, you are not an SUV customer. If your needs are perfectly satisfied by XUV, which is a 7-seater station wagon, then that's what you should buy. No point coming into a Jeep thread and trash it for not being a station wagon. I don't go into i20 thread trash it for not having 4WD.
The Jeep is also a station wagon by that analogy. Its a CUV with a monocoque design so its strictly not meant for hardcore off roading. On top of that, the basic design is lifted from a Fiat 500x though the jeep has different 4WD hardware. This is nothing but a hatchback on stilts.

This is coupled with less than stellar reliability ratings means it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Lack of an automatic doesn't help its case either.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 18th June 2017 at 13:56.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 13:53   #544
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure! With the pure J Compass out of my radar, I seriously consider the poser, the would-be facelifted XUV 500 W10 AWD with a more powerful engine as the successor to my XUV 500 W8 FWD in 2018.

As a family man, you have made a good choice as per your lights with the XUV AWD.

But yes it is a large Van with some capabilities to take on rough terrain in comfort and of course it is feature loaded. Plus it is a Mahindra and 'Indian' and therefore relatively easy to look after at a relatively inexpensive price.

It wouldnt do as well as it has if it werent a good value proposition. Its just that the XUV is not for everyone here.

Just the same way, the Jeep top spec will find its own few takers because they will buy it for what it is or for the snob value attached to the Top Spec.
It will definitely be an attractive vehicle for many people here, no doubt about it, irrespective of the 'perceptions and demands' on its pricing.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:01   #545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's very true. I wouldn't go near the xuv5oo personally. More than gizmos, priority for me is is quality, fit finish and refinement. I can't stand one thing out of place in a car that doesn't work the way it should.

Even the creta is better built and more refined than the xuv.

The compass I feel offers the perfect balance with all 3.

Can't wait for the automatic to replace Corolla and ecosport.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th June 2017 at 14:03.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:09   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The Jeep is also a station wagon by that analogy.
Oops, I meant Minivan. My bad.

Quote:
Its a CUV with a monocoque design so its strictly not meant for hardcore off roading.
This is a very outdated belief. Jeep Cherokee has been using monocoque for 3 decades and has proven it's ability in rough terrain. I have been driving a monocoque SUV for almost 10 years now, so I personally know how much punishment it can take without falling apart.

Quote:
This is coupled with less than stellar reliability ratings means it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Lack of an automatic doesn't help its case either.
Let it hit the market and we will find out what it can do.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:14   #547
BHPian

Quote:
I use all these features always. Having used to these comforts, I don't want to downgrade by paying more. Some of these features are must for me in my next upgrade, if not all. Of course, priority and compromise vary from person to person.

I agree. Even though my current car doesn't have them, they are a factor in my next purchase. It's just more convenience. Why would you not want a more hassle free driving experience? If I want to feel 'closer' to the car I will take a long drive and turn these features off. But that's not always. Most of the time these features will save time and be convenient.
pickdj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 14:35   #548
J.Ravi

Kindly lookup the etiquette rules of Team-BHP, specifically #7. Don't be rude and sarcastic when somebody differs with your opinion. - Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Its just that the XUV is not for everyone here.
Yes, just like J Compass is not meant for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even the creta is better built and more refined than the xuv.
Even H Creta was on my radar until recently, but I don't want to downgrade to a less powerful car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
I agree..Most of the time these features will save time and be convenient.
Thanks a lot, pickdj.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th June 2017 at 01:32.
  (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 16:43   #549
BHPian

Autocar India has come out with a second review of Jeep Compass which also covers the offroad capabilities of Compass (In reality a off road event organized by Jeep and Autocar calls it a second review ).
Nevertheless it brings out and important point.
The ground clearance of Jeep Compass is 208 mm and the 153 mm advertised figure is due to change in norms, which requires a load of 400 kg. (Who comes up with such novel ideas? )
Renuka also mentions that if demand is there a sunroof equipped version can be made available shortly. She seems to be thoroughly impressed to the extent that she says she would like to buy this car!!

Last edited by PraNeel : 18th June 2017 at 16:44.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 18:59   #550
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
The Jeep is also a station wagon by that analogy. Its a CUV with a monocoque design so its strictly not meant for hardcore off roading. On top of that, the basic design is lifted from a Fiat 500x though the jeep has different 4WD hardware. This is nothing but a hatchback on stilts.

Very hard statements considering that none of us have even seen this in the flesh yet.
I think you need to keep an open mind till the vehicle launches.

And then if you dont like it you can always vote with your wallet in favour of something else.

I have just been told by a Senior Auto Journo friend who was part of the Goa Jeep Test Drive that the wading depth capability of the Jeep Compass is 482mm. Fully loaded the GC goes to 155mm. Effective GC is about 180mm. He says it feels rugged.

I guess a truly capable vehicle like this may well be worth that 30 lacs on road Bangalore.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 20:30   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a CUV with a monocoque design so its strictly not meant for hardcore off roading.
Agree, so is say a stock GV. But define hardcore off roading?

Quote:
On top of that, the basic design is lifted from a Fiat 500x though the jeep has different 4WD hardware. This is nothing but a hatchback on stilts.
Partly correct, but then they have incorporated basic stuff that will give it a huge edge while off the road (right at design stage), unlike a hatch back and very much like a GV. GV gets low ratio, Compass compensates with electronic aids.

Mind you it is quiet capable car off road (ground clearance permitting), though I really missed the hill decent control. It would be quiet interesting to see how things would be with a taller AT tire on this car

Quote:
Now this is a fact, and hopefully this model would change the ratings; and yes automatic is badly missed. That 6 speed with MJD is not something that one would enjoy in Bangalore city traffic.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 20:52   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Agree, so is say a stock GV. But define hardcore off roading?
Somewhere you have a real chance of getting stuck if you are not in a capable off roader. These CUVs will never do what say for example a Pajero/LC Prado would be able to do primarily for two things - Lack of ground clearance compared to body on frame SUVs and second due to the lack of a low range box. I believe the Compass isn't terrible as many poser SUVs though as it at least has a diff lock.

Compass is like what Evoque is to a proper Range Rover. It probably can do some things but not all.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 18th June 2017 at 20:53.
Old 18th June 2017, 21:01   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These CUVs will never do what say for example a Pajero/LC Prado
How much does a Prado cost? So it is quiet unfair comparison for something that would cost almost half of nearest full blown SUV.

Quote:
Lack of ground clearance compared to body on frame SUVs and second due to the lack of a low range box. I believe the Compass isn't terrible as many poser SUVs though as it at least has a diff lock.
Like I said the electronics do take care of much of the needs for moderate Offroad.

Quote:
Compass is like what Evoque is to a proper Range Rover. It probably can do some things but not all.
I guess this makes more sense. EDIT and now imagine Evoque at 30-35 Lakhs ex showroom price?

This is a C segment small SUV? This is where Compass is to be compared.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th June 2017 at 21:12.
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 21:02   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Somewhere you have a real chance of getting stuck if you are not in a capable off roader. These CUVs will never do what say for example a Pajero/LC Prado would be able to do primarily for two things
Both Jaggu and I have many years of offroading experience. But I don't think we have come across a single vehicle that didn't get stuck. I have seen Pajero/Prado/Rover get stuck where stock Jeeps have passed by easily.

That said, nobody should expect SUVs to be hard core offroaders. SUVs take you through bad terrain in full comfort. Ride comfort, ruggedness, reliability and decent offroad ability is what can be expected.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 21:12   #555
BHPian

Today saw the JEEP Compass on display in a local mall. Looks very classy from both inside and outside. It looks so much like the JEEP Cherokee (only smaller). We had rented a JEEP Cherokee last year in the US and were very impressed. The exterior look is very nice and everything is designed with so much thought (to make it look like the JEEP Cherokee), that it is hard not to like it. The interiors of the JEEP Compass are also very nice and color of the upholstery was of a very nice grey shade. Really liked the color combination of the interior. The color & quality of the plastics (also a nice grey & black combination) looked very nice.

However, the display model in the Mall was a lower variant and did not have cruise control etc. on the steering wheel. There were dummy switches instead. When asked the sales person, was told that the higher variant has cruise control etc. They also informed me that petrol AT variant was due sometime in October 2017 but had no idea on launch of diesel AT.

The gear combination reminded me of Fiat Palio. e.g. for reverse gear, one has to lift the 'sleeve' under the gear knob and move it all the way to the left and then forward.

Spent only a few minutes looking at the JEEP Compass but, in summary, I am really impressed by the looks & general quality of the new Jeep Compass. The silver color display model & chrome on it along with the LED headlights & tail lights, really made it look classy.
geotracks is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks