Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 20:26   #481
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
Exactly the point I have been trying to make. The base version is too barebones. No fog light, no projector lamps. steel wheels, 5 in touchscreen etc in a 20lakh vehicle (OTR) may not be acceptable to general public. The absence of these may take away the premium look from the vehicle.

Absence of auto headlamp, rain sensing wiper, electrically adjustable seats may still be fine with general public IMHO.
The Innova G sells for a higher price and with far less features. No ICE for example.
It is not that people will not pony up the money for a good vehicle in India.

Jeep has to inspire confidence among its clientele that it is not Fiat and this should sell.

Between Creta and Innova, that is a 15,000/month market that the Jeep is targeting. It will be a huge success if it gets 10% of that.
Old 16th June 2017, 20:26   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
I am unaware of any other (non-Indian) car manufacturer who have chosen our country as a key export base.
Hyundai, for many years now. The i10 was always made only in India, for the world. I am not sure, but I remember so was the i20 when it started - and I don't know the story today.

That is why both cars had interiors/features that were much better than any competitor at the time. Perhaps that is the case even today.

India made Compass to also serve UK markets ought to mean quality interiors and build quality.

IMO, the big concern is after sales. Fiat has a long history of the wrong kind on that front in India - which is the source of the concern.

Last edited by Sawyer : 16th June 2017 at 20:27.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 20:56   #483
BHPian

Autoportal reviews the Compass!

GKR9900 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 21:36   #484
BHPian

If there is no Rain sensing wipers provided in the vehicle, then whats the use of such a heavy & big base for IRVM?
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep.jpg  

Old 16th June 2017, 21:58   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Autoportal reviews the Compass!
Thanks for the link! I like Autoportal reviews by Ashish Masih.

That seemed to be a slightly guarded review. Safe to assume, that he wasn't exactly blown away by the car, like most of us in this thread are?

Last edited by ampere : 17th June 2017 at 00:43. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
Raghav_K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 22:08   #486
BHPian

For 30Lakh INR here, the feature list is pretty sad.
And no Automatic Diesel variant.What was Jeep Alias Fiat thinking?!
My bet is on this doing single digit sales in the domestic market.
Old 17th June 2017, 00:28   #487
BHPian

Sneak preview available to a select few.

Got this from a friend - this is at the dealer's home 😊

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1497639486.489855.jpg
samyakmodi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 01:19   #488
Senior - BHPian

What has amused me in this thread is the way pricing has been thrown around in this thread. From a starting price of 15 lakhs to a top end of 30 lakhs! That's a pretty wide spread!

Another thing is how unanimously all forums are singing praise for the car!! Sounds almost too good to be true!!
Old 17th June 2017, 01:30   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
What has amused me in this thread is the way pricing has been thrown around in this thread. From a starting price of 15 lakhs to a top end of 30 lakhs! That's a pretty wide spread!

Another thing is how unanimously all forums are singing praise for the car!! Sounds almost too good to be true!!
I find the hype and speculations and the reviews very similar to the situation with the Ford Ecosport except that the real hype started once Fiat unveiled the car in india. That time all our predictions were pretty much incorrect and Ford got us a heavily localized product at a cheaper price than expected. What followed was a fiasco with year long waiting, feature deletions and price revisions. The speculation was as much as it is this time. Let's hope Fiat does something similar although due to a very thin dealer network it can't be a smash hit like the Fortuner, XUV and Ecosport were at launch still I expect a long waiting period for the model once it is launched just because of the way it looks. I might say this is the BEST looking car this side of 25L in my opinion although comments reserved unless seen in flesh.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 06:50   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
I respect your point of view, however I consider myself the general public and would definitely expect at least some of these features; if not all. Especially when I am going to spend about 20L. Personally I want to buy a car that's future proof.
Definitely! I would love it if Jeep had gone all out in the feature list. Look at Tiguan for example, it's overpriced for sure but well loaded even in the comfortline trim. Just that the engine specs appear to be a bit low on paper, though it doesn't seem that bad according to reviews. If one is willing to pay that much for a Tiguan, there's not much that he/she is going to miss. I agree that buyers of a Limited(O) Jeep 4WD MT would feel a bit short-changed because they would be missing on some equipment even after going for the top variant. Now most of the reviews state that the Compass is a brilliant car to drive. It's rare to get such cars for a reasonable price in our country. I'm guessing (more like praying) that the missing features means Jeep is going for a killer price. They've invested in local production, so they need this to sell, unlike Tucson or Tiguan which were just brand promotion exercises. If the customers accept it, they can slowly add features and raise prices to increase profit margins.

Like how vb-san says here :
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
On the other hand, a car with solid mechanicals and reasonable pricing (and SUV looks) can lighten up the market, even if it’s from an unknown entity – Renault was quite an unknown entity before the Duster happened. The Compass has that kind of potential in a segment above, that too with a much better package overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Thanks for the link! I like Autoportal reviews by Ashish Masih.

That seemed to be a slightly guarded review. Safe to assume, that he wasn't exactly blown away by the car, like most of us in this thread are?
You're welcome mate! I thought the same and that too when all other reviews were singing high praises. What worries me is that he constantly keeps equating the expected price levels to Tucson/Tiguan territory
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 07:51   #491
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

With all this speculation here, I wonder how many people on this Forum will actually plonk their cash down and buy this Jeep Compass.

I definitely aspire to own one just because I love Jeep as a brand and I ve enjoyed those Jeeps that I have driven both in India and overseas.

However, I am not going to plonk my cash on this Jeep Compass right now, since I am really not in the market for a new car at this moment and I would rather wait and watch developments on this front. Especially the after sales service, which will be one of the main defining factors of the success of this vehicle.

Pricing? Yes, with today's inflation levels and the fact that time has marched on, Im still saying 30 Lacs on road Bangalore, for the absolute top spec version 4x4 Trailhawk or whatever with the AT gear box, will be the price one must pay, even considering all this localisation and so on.

Will I pay that price?

Well it looks right now, that there is no vehicle priced at anything less than the above, which appears to meet my needs in some measure.

One has to wait for the Karoq and Kodiaq and see them in the flesh before making a comparo. And of course, if Jeep brings in the Renegade in its Top Avatar, then that's a nice tough beast worth considering - and it will be cheaper too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 10:35   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

"Compass, I am your father!"

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dccjkdhuqaet5lp.jpg
(Cyrus Behram Dhabhar @ Twitter)

The ancestry does find it's way into the Compass.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompasseastereggswillysgrille_720x540.jpg
(Zigwheels)

Quote:
Open the rear hatch of the Jeep Compass and there's a small Willy's face stamped on the left side of the latch.
If you look up, you may notice the hard-to-miss bigger version of this on the panel below the rear windshield.
A very easy to miss Willys face imprint is on the gearstick sock button.
If you ever sit on the left rear passenger seat and reach down to the bottle holder on the door pad, you may also notice a small Willys face imprint there.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 11:16   #493
Senior - BHPian

So assuming that the Limited version is priced similar to the Tucson GLS automatic. Which SUV would be a better buy ? Considering that most owners will probably never use the 4*4 feature.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:00   #494
BHPian

There are many today who don't want to compromise on auto box, and many don't feel the need of 4x4.
If Jeep has no auto box on launch for the top end, it's a big drawback. I believe the petrol top end will come with a auto box at launch.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:28   #495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So assuming that the Limited version is priced similar to the Tucson GLS automatic. Which SUV would be a better buy ? Considering that most owners will probably never use the 4*4 feature.
I believe Jeep will offer both 2WD and 4*4 versions of the top end Limited trim. 4*4 manual v/s 2WD automatic will be apples to oranges and a never ending debate.

Against the 2WD Compass manual v/s Tiguan automatic, I feel there should be an on-road difference of atleast 2.5L for the Compass to justify its lack of features (Like automatic transmission and cruise control) and the probable gamble with the brand. Else, Tucson is the better "car".
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks