Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2017, 14:32   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

My BIL checked it out in Bangalore. Some of his points were:

1) Pretty good music system but touchscreen isnt great.
2) Space inside is good but not as good as Jetta (which is compared with)
3) Plastics were fine and has a premium feel inside the cabin
4) Rear space was a bit less
5) White leather didnt look that bad
6) Well built and solid feel

Other points:
1) Showroom has taken 95 bookings so far
2) Prices to be revealed on July 4th and test drive vehicles after that.
3) 20-28L on road (Bangalore)

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170620wa0009.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170620wa0010.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170620wa0011.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img20170620wa0012.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 15:30   #617
BHPian

Have done a small comparison of the Trailhawk and Limited versions of the Compass in US. A lot of people are in question about the Off-Road capabilities of the Compass, this comparison should solve the doubts.

From what I compared it concluded 2 things:
1) Trailhawk is for hardcore Off-Roaders.
2) Limited is a good Off-Road vehicle but not a hardcore one.

One thing Jeep does is maintaining the true off-road DNA in their all vehicles which are offered with 4wd. This is what Jeep does its best. We should stop thinking Compass wont be able to do this.

Items which are present in both Trailhawk and Limited have not been added in the comparison.
Name:  jeep Compass.png
Views: 4409
Size:  36.3 KB
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 15:35   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Official website is now live :- http://knowyourcompass.co.in/

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-1.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-2.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-4.jpg

Features & Specifications :- http://knowyourcompass.co.in/jeep-co...fications.aspx

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-5.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-6.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-7.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-8.jpg

E-brochure can be downloaded from here (need to fill up the form first) :- http://knowyourcompass.co.in/jeep-compass-brochure.aspx

E-bookings for the Compass can be done here :- http://knowyourcompass.co.in/jeep-co...mer-login.aspx

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image1.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 20th June 2017 at 15:43.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 16:37   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Prices to be revealed on July 4th and test drive vehicles after that.
FCA overdoing it with the unwanted anticipation.

--> Unveiling on day one. Then keep quiet(officially)
--> Launch after few weeks. (Why can't these both be together?)
--> During launch you tell that Price to be Revealed another 15 days later
--> But still start accept booking.that too without test drive.They need to be reminded they are not MSIL or Hyundai to be this arrogant and get away!

Are they going to do one more launch on 4th July and reveal prices? Then what was the need for today. Maybe the guy who is building this hype is an ex Xiaomi guy whose only job is to keep people on tenterhooks. Only thing pending was to ensure there was an invite system or limited booking.

Some might argue they are that overconfident about pricing. But its the same FCA which has time and again proved us otherwise.

God help them if they don't price it sensibly.
RaghuVis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 16:41   #620
BANNED

After reading about the ZF 9 speed automatic transmission and FPT 7 speed DDCT, there seems to be way too many complaints about these. Is that the reason for the delay in launching auto trannys? While ZF goes into neutral randomly, DDCT gets overheated in city traffic conditions. Not good news for those looking for an automatic option, do watch out if you are one of them.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 16:53   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
1) Trailhawk is for hardcore Off-Roaders.
2) Limited is a good Off-Road vehicle but not a hardcore one.
Trailhawk offers more capability in every model in the range, but the hard core off roading Jeep is the Wrangler.

What is of interest that I haven't seen addressed is the 4WD locked mode. What exactly does that mean/do? Will there be transmission damage if the car is used in that mode on tarmac? For instance, cars like Pajero and Fortuner will be damaged if their 4WD locked mode is used on tarmac. But the same mode allows better off road capability on poor surfaces - it is the other side of the coin.

Answers to this question will give better insight into the nature of the 4x4 mode of the car.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:01   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
FCA overdoing it with the unwanted anticipation.

--> Unveiling on day one. Then keep quiet(officially)
--> Launch after few weeks. (Why can't these both be together?)
--> During launch you tell that Price to be Revealed another 15 days later
--> But still start accept booking.that too without test drive.They need to be reminded they are not MSIL or Hyundai to be this arrogant and get away!

Are they going to do one more launch on 4th July and reveal prices? Then what was the need for today. Maybe the guy who is building this hype is an ex Xiaomi guy whose only job is to keep people on tenterhooks. Only thing pending was to ensure there was an invite system or limited booking.

Some might argue they are that overconfident about pricing. But its the same FCA which has time and again proved us otherwise.

God help them if they don't price it sensibly.
True, I too feel they really have pro longed the build up a bit too much, It would have really put me off as a potential customer.

But on the other hand, they have certainly generated a good buzz around the Compass as I have heard it come up for discussion among friends as well as colleagues at work numerous times.

I too was intrigued - but since its dimensions are smaller than what I was looking for, I've booked a Highline Tiguan for delivery in July post the GST prices, for now I'm just waiting to get my hands on it.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:17   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
I too was intrigued - but since its dimensions are smaller than what I was looking for, I've booked a Highline Tiguan
Congratulations.

However, just putting the numbers for a clearer perspective to other users -

Jeep Compass v/s Volkswagen Tiguan
Length 4420 mm 4486 mm
Width 1820 mm 1839 mm
Height 1650 mm 1646 mm
Wheelbase 2640 mm 2681 mm

Source -
https://www.google.co.in/amp/www.car...en-tiguan/amp/
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:21   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What is of interest that I haven't seen addressed is the 4WD locked mode. What exactly does that mean/do? Will there be transmission damage if the car is used in that mode on tarmac? For instance, cars like Pajero and Fortuner will be damaged if their 4WD locked mode is used on tarmac. But the same mode allows better off road capability on poor surfaces - it is the other side of the coin.
Its probably similar to Duster AWD where 4WD lock has a speed limit. The lock is automatically released above the limit. And yes, not recommended on tarmac.
Old 20th June 2017, 17:22   #625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
[*] in all, felt like a compact SUV[/list]
It IS one ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Other points:
1) Showroom has taken 95 bookings so far
2) Prices to be revealed on July 4th and test drive vehicles after that.
3) 20-28L on road (Bangalore)
1- Might account for whole KA or there is some major sweetening of the number quoted

3- I know someone who has booked top end 4x4 and was quoted same 28L OTR price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

Items which are present in both Trailhawk and Limited have not been added in the comparison.
Attachment 1649809
Thanks this is really helpful, look at the various approach angles, that is where the major difference is. Obviously suspension configuration is different that way, plus the protection kit underneath would be a major plus for off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What is of interest that I haven't seen addressed is the 4WD locked mode. What exactly does that mean/do? Will there be transmission damage if the car is used in that mode on tarmac?
Electronically controlling the wheels to replicate differential lock, since its electronically controlled there are enough and more checks to avoid any damage in case of misuse. The other cars that you have mentioned are mechanical locking, so not as fool proof, though newer models have warning systems to save the mechanicals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
True, I too feel they really have pro longed the build up a bit too much, It would have really put me off as a potential customer.
========
I too was intrigued - but since its dimensions are smaller than what I was looking for, I've booked a Highline Tiguan for delivery in July post the GST prices, for now I'm just waiting to get my hands on it.
I think there is multiple reasons, the production and fine tune getting ready, GST also would be other reasons. Main thing i have a feeling Jeep is keenly gathering feedbacks before announcing the final pricing and such staggered exposure helps in getting a decent read of the market.

Congratulations on Tiguan! it is a good car. Only wish they had priced it little lesser. Which model you booked? See if you can get the 17" wheels instead of 18" if you have opted for the top end. That suspension and 18" wheels are a bad idea for indian roads... don't ask me how i know lol
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:30   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Duster AWD where 4WD lock has a speed limit. The lock is automatically released above the limit. And yes, not recommended on tarmac.
Understood, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The other cars that you have mentioned are mechanical locking, so not as fool proof
Yes, but the advantage of mechanical locking is that there is no computer to misread and be fooled by the terrain. And it provides certainty to the driver by being able to know exactly what the car will/will not do with 4WD and therefore the centre diff, locked.
All academic I know; no Compass owner will ever go where this information matters. For going to the farmhouse in the monsoons, it ought to be adequate.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:31   #627
BHPian

So the American brand is planning to reveal the prices on American Independence day. Let's hope that they price it in a manner in which the company can celebrate the day . Can we expect the Team-BHP review on the 4th of July?
Old 20th June 2017, 17:43   #628
Team-BHP Support

The final price of Compass depends on whether FCA is looking to get market share or maximize profit.

If their intention is to grab market share, then they will price it low, and sell in high volumes. This volume is also limited by the capacity of Ranjangaon plant, unless they have plans of expansion. But if they don't have the production capacity to grab market share, they might as well settle for profit maximization, which means the price will be high.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 17:53   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Looked at the JEEP website and searched for dealers in Hyderabad. Says, "Coming Soon". With so much advertising and hype by JEEP in all modes of media, hope they are planning for wider dealer network across. Then comes efficient & capable service centers with trained staff. All this could take time.
Pride is coming up with the Jeep showroom on Road No36. This is adjacent to beyond coffee. Work is going on in the showroom and hence might be the "coming soon" part in the website. Also, my cousin was saying that the vehicle is in display in Inorbit mall. He went there on Saturday and he came across the vehicle
Old 20th June 2017, 18:01   #630
BHPian

Provided the pricing is right, this offering is bound to eat away sales of Fortuner, Endeavour, 5oo, Creta. Pajero and V-Cross dont seem to sell much anyway to see a dent.

Strange that Hyderabad still doesn't have a dealer for Jeep per FCA website- dealer map page.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks