Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:02   #676
Team-BHP Support

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
I would even say, let us collectively bring it down by one segment.

We should use the power that wrests in our hands!

Why not 12.5 lakhs starting price going up to 20 lakhs?
Sub 4m - WRV costs 9.99L for the higher spec.
Creta 1.6 starts at 12.5
S- Cross 1.6 is priced at 12L.
Tucson starts at 18.99L.

And we expect Compass at 12.5? Hopefully, not the diesel, but still!

Let's be realistic!

Most people who have seen it have commented in earlier posts that the quality has not been compromised. Safety has also not been compromised as the basic variant has dual airbags, ABS, EBD, ESC and traction control. Engine has also not been comprised as the base variant gets the 2.0 Multijet instead of 1.6L or 1.3L. Even the petrol is VVT + turbocharged. I don't expect it to be a lot cheaper than the diesel.

The spectated price of 15L - 16L starting echoed by most people is due to the fact that this is a Tucson/ Tiguan competitor, but promising to be priced more aggressively with lesser features and 60% localization.

PS - There was a long discussion on XUV a few pages back and I don't wish to restart it again, the way it ended.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd June 2017 at 16:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:53   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Creta 1.6 starts at 12.5
Tucson starts at 18.99L.

And we expect Compass at 12.5? Hopefully, not the diesel, but still! .............
You are forgetting one basic premise - Creta itself is an overpriced car of a brand which has been well established in the market. If it was Hyundai's first car in the market, it would have been atleast a lac or 2 cheaper.

S cross 1.6 at 12L is the top model, not base.

Tucson is an overpriced dud which has dismal numbers. Any benchmarking to Tucson is a sure shot step towards doomsday.

I am not saying Compass should be priced around 12.5 lacs, but I feel it should be closer to Creta rather than Tucson in pricing if it wants to achieve the numbers Jeep is targeting.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd June 2017 at 11:08. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
reddevilgautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:07   #678
Senior - BHPian

The compass will be put on Display on 24th of June in Orion West mall in Bangalore. I heard this on Radio, which is a clear indication that Jeep is trying its best to grab your attention.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:24   #679
BHPian

I have been following this thread silently. However, I don't find much discussion around off-roading capabilities of Compass compared to Creta, Tucson, Tiquan etc. Instead the comparison is mostly around comfort features vis-a-vis vs price. I think no comparison can be complete without taking into account the off-roading capabilities of each vehicle where the Compass could be leading by big margin.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:54   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Creta 1.6 starts at 12.5
Tucson starts at 18.99L.

And we expect Compass at 12.5? Hopefully, not the diesel, but still!

Let's be realistic!
I second that Man, that's exactly my thoughts. People are ready to pay for Over Priced Creta/Fortuner/Innova Crysta/Honda City and some of them consists of endless niggles or quality issues. But still what I see as an expectation is Compass should be priced from 15 lakh onwards if JEEP wants to rule the road. They want everything inside to be of Top Notch Quality and not even a single feature should be compromised(Say Cruise Control), otherwise they will bash the product like that feature is the only deal breaker in their decision. People are ready to buy Suzuki Dzire which is on Road more than 10 lakhs (Top Variant) but they are not ready to pay when it comes to good quality and engineered products.
I for one is extremely happy that they are coming with this product in India. Currently I'm not in a position to own one anytime soon but I aspire to get one some day.
Highh5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:57   #681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
I am not saying Compass should be priced around 12.5 lacs, but I feel it should be closer to Creta rather than Tucson in pricing if it wants to achieve the numbers Jeep is targeting.
Small correction in the numbers I qouted above. Creta 1.6 base is 12.5L and Tucson Diesel is 21.6L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
Off-roading capabilities of Compass compared to Creta, Tucson, Tiquan etc.
Creta and Tucson are only available in 2WD.

Tiguan gets AWD hardware, but the laden GC is 153mm against 178mm of the Compass.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:06   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Actually that leaves no room for Renegade which i believe is also being considered? They will have to price the Renegade on par with the Ecosport if Compass starts at 12.5lacs. Seems very very optimistic that Compass will be anywhere below 15lacs ex. for base petrol.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 22nd June 2017 at 18:07.
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:26   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

One aspect which most people are missing when debating price of the Compass is all the safety features and build quality of the Compass. The weight of the Compass is around 1700kg unladen compared to the 1250 of the Creta so you can imagine how much difference there would be in body thickness and engine construction. I am not saying heavier is necessarily better, but you can feel the heavy build quality when you feel and touch the car. The body is very well put together and it looks very sturdy.
Even though size wise it is the same as Creta, the brand premium and the additional safety factors would justify a premium of 4-5 lacs over the Creta.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:55   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One aspect which most people are missing when debating price of the Compass is all the safety features and build quality of the Compass. The weight of the Compass is around 1700kg unladen compared to the 1250 of the Creta so you can imagine how much difference there would be in body thickness and engine construction. I am not saying heavier is necessarily better, but you can feel the heavy build quality when you feel and touch the car. The body is very well put together and it looks very sturdy.
Even though size wise it is the same as Creta, the brand premium and the additional safety factors would justify a premium of 4-5 lacs over the Creta.
Having owned a Linea TJet over the last few years and a Siena 1.6 in the past, I definitely appreciate the sturdy build quality of Fiat cars. At the same time, Fiat/Jeep got to price it alongside Creta to create a long term impact in the Indian market. If Compass becomes a blockbuster success, they can always increase the prices gradually. While there are a couple of additional safety features in Compass compared to Creta, we need to remember that Hyundai's reputation and resale value gives it a big advantage over Compass.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:22   #685
BHPian

Right. It means that Compass should not be compared with these cars OR in the least the price expectation should be realistic keeping in mind off-roading capabilities of this car. It's not just the additional equipment cost for making a SUV 4X4. A lot of money is spent on R&D which is factored in the final cost of the car. If somebody is never ever going to use it for off-roading then what's the point of buying this car.
Though I am not in the market for new car, I am happy that Jeep is providing us an option for a true 4X4 at relatively reasonable price. Other than Jeep there is no other SUV at this price point which can act like a family car and a capable off-roader too.

Quote:
Small correction in the numbers I qouted above. Creta 1.6 base is 12.5L and Tucson Diesel is 21.6L.

Creta and Tucson are only available in 2WD.

Tiguan gets AWD hardware, but the laden GC is 153mm against 178mm of the Compass.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:43   #686
BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Yes I did, and they do have the Compass on display. I liked it and it looks great to me. The test drives will only be available only after July 4th when they announce the prices.

Thanks. I did visit the Gurgaon showroom today and saw the Compass in flesh. I was very impressed with the build quality more than anything else. I found it to be considerably bigger than Brezza and Creta (though actual dimensions may show negligible difference). Road presence should be good in view of its imposing looks. I am really keen on a test drive to feel the power of the 175 bhp multi jet diesel. The sales personnel told me that it is likely to be priced in between 14 L to 20 L.

Last edited by jbpanda : 22nd June 2017 at 20:45.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:17   #687
BHPian

Given that they are launching only the Diesel variants now not sure if they will announce the price of petrol variants now. Any word on this?
Old 22nd June 2017, 21:25   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I have been following this thread silently. However, I don't find much discussion around off-roading capabilities of Compass compared to Creta, Tucson, Tiquan etc. Instead the comparison is mostly around comfort features vis-a-vis vs price. I think no comparison can be complete without taking into account the off-roading capabilities of each vehicle where the Compass could be leading by big margin.
People will show concern or talk about features that they will use. Most of the Compass buyers will only be using it on roads. Very few will use it for hardcore off-roading and those who care about off roading will look at other options which might be better.
As it has been pointed in the discussion before, even the Compass is not a pure blood off roader. It has electronic aids that mimics the features.
Most of these cars right from Creta, Compass, X1, X3 to even the X5 are just soft-roaders even if they have 4x4 capabilities.
Hence the comparison being regarding comfort and other features which one is going to use everyday.
Old 22nd June 2017, 23:57   #689
BHPian

I am surprised people are saying Compass is similar in size to Creta. By that logic, so is Tuscon. So, why is it priced so many lakhs more than Creta.
prakash_ajp is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:52   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I am surprised people are saying Compass is similar in size to Creta. By that logic, so is Tuscon. So, why is it priced so many lakhs more than Creta.

Absolutely. It's unfair to compare considering the fact that the Jeep is a class apart and Creta is no match. You may at best compare it for the sake of getting an idea of the dimensions of the car and pricing. If Jeep offers a competitive price around 15 L to 20 L, it would be a great opportunity to penetrate the market. Potential customers of a segment lower may be happy to extend their budget and go for this. Atleast I personally will considering the overall package and the sheer road presence.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks