Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 11:04   #4471
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roovee View Post
The gear box is obsessed with D2 (second gear). It shifts up from D1 almost as soon as the car moves and does not shift to D1 even at speeds as low as 5 kmph. Only full stop braking seems to make it shift down to D1.
This is pretty much how the VW DSGs also behave. Must be to get better FE at the cost of stressing the gearbox.
Old 20th December 2019, 11:48   #4472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
The lads at Perfamana have done an incredible job making an already good looking car look better.

The list of modifications include:

• 19” TSW Rims
• Chrome Delete
• Custom Leather Interiors
• Front Grille & Roof Rails painted in High Gloss Black.
How much did you pay for the 19" TSW rims? Looks great.
Old 20th December 2019, 16:05   #4473

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
The lads at
====
• Front Grille & Roof Rails painted in High Gloss Black.
Looks Good. Can you share the overall costing? And how much for the tire exchange?
Old 20th December 2019, 20:56   #4474

I gave my Seltos for its first servicing a couple of days back. Since then there is no UVO connectivity. Dealer says you need to speak to customer care. I did call and spoke to 4 different people at different times. Each one has a different answer. But not a solution.

One says its dealer issue, other says we dont have technical knowledge, next said send an email. The other asked me to reset the System itself. None solved the issue.

Service center manager said, its happening after the new update. And Kia hasnt been able to sort it out.

The new vehicles being delivered since past few days haven’t been able to activate UVO yet it seems.

Kia needs to take its customers seriously. Just because sales are good doesnt means you can take customers for granted.
docahmer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 21:41   #4475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docahmer View Post
One says its dealer issue, other says we dont have technical knowledge, next said send an email. The other asked me to reset the System itself.
Hyundai-Kia made a huge mistake for selecting Vodafone as the network provider.

Give the dealer and service technicians an earful. They will give a thousand excuses to avoid the issue. Don't let these guys fool around with you. I faced an issue with the air purifier in my Seltos, and after a nonchalant response from the dealer, my father went and gave the SA and the manager of the dealership a class on after sales-etiquette. Needless to say, they got a replacement part in no time, and the air purifier is working well.
Old 20th December 2019, 22:14   #4476
Distinguished - BHPian

DCT Heating Issues !

I was at the Kia service centre (Shreenath Kia, Thane) & was having a discussion with some technical personnel about the DCT heating issues & what Kia India is doing about the same. I got informed that Kia has already issued a solution to the service centres to apply to the affected (Heating Issue Reported).

The solution is updating the software of these 3;

1) ECU
2) TCU
3) Transmission Temperature Monitor Tolerance Limit

Thought id share on the main thread for everyone's reference

Also got to know (which i had a doubt previously) that the Transmission Temperature Monitor / Gauge is only in the DCT Models & not in other Automatics (CVT, TC)

Last edited by karan561 : 20th December 2019 at 22:16.
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 23:47   #4477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roovee View Post
The gear box is obsessed with D2 (second gear). It shifts up from D1 almost as soon as the car moves and does not shift to D1 even at speeds as low as 5 kmph. Only full stop braking seems to make it shift down to D1.
That's actually a huge blessing, compared to say, the car grunting and jiggling like a hippo on 1st, till 10/20. The dumb torque converters all operate like that.

In anycase, affordable automatic transmissions are a failed experiment, not one decent one out there that seamlessly shifts (with zero noise/shake), the torque converter is hugely reliable but dumb as a rock, CVT is a rubber band slowcoach.. revs revving up the moon but speed not even comparable, and DSGs quick, intelligent and predictive but an overheating diva.

A.I, my rear end.. nothing matches the man's ability and finesse, nothing. Bet the 1.5 petrol manual will be a lot of fun.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 05:13   #4478
BHPian

DCT trouble?

I had a dct issue last night. I was travelling at moderate speeds when I had to brake at a turn due to an oncoming bike. The gear dropped to 2 and then failed to shift upward. I was in normal mode. The engine revved up to 6k rpm but no upshift happened. I shifted to trip tonic/manual and tried to move the gear lever to 3 but it failed to change. I had to pull over to the side of the road, stopped the car and then restarted. There were no further issues after that.

What could ve happened? I m a bit concerned. I have a few long trips coming up next week. Any way taking the car to the service station.

Need advice from technical experts in the forum.
Old 21st December 2019, 05:43   #4479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
That's actually a huge blessing, compared to say, the car grunting and jiggling like a hippo on 1st, till 10/20. The dumb torque converters all operate like that.

In anycase, affordable automatic transmissions are a failed experiment, not one decent one out there that seamlessly shifts (with zero noise/shake), the torque converter is hugely reliable but dumb as a rock, CVT is a rubber band slowcoach.. revs revving up the moon but speed not even comparable, and DSGs quick, intelligent and predictive but an overheating diva.

A.I, my rear end.. nothing matches the man's ability and finesse, nothing. Bet the 1.5 petrol manual will be a lot of fun.
I for one always prefer first gear to take the car above jogging speeds. Given the torque curves of modern turbo cars, it is a lot easier on the mechanicals if the 1st to 2nd gearshift happens at 15-20kmph and not at, say 5kmph. First gear is not there just for show after all, I don't know why so many people tend to be afraid of letting the engine rev even a little bit in first. It is anyday more desirable than lugging the engine in second at low rpm.

Agree, most ATs under 20L are rather unintelligent. I suppose that has more to do with the good people who developed the shifting logic not having much experience with Indian traffic. Add to that, not everyone provides a proper 'Sports' mode or paddle shifts to quicken things up when needed. DSGs to me remain a risky bet for long term ownership, especially as someone who uses his cars for a decade and likes to go touring with family. I'd rather stick to my torque converters. And all doubters of TCs need to experience the brilliance that is the PPG sourced 6 speed on the Hexa. It is in my book the most intelligent and best executed automatic transmission on this side of the legendary ZF 8 speed.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 11:30   #4480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I for one always prefer first gear to take the car above jogging speeds. Given the torque curves of modern turbo cars, it is a lot easier on the mechanicals if the 1st to 2nd gearshift happens at 15-20kmph and not at, say 5kmph. First gear is not there just for show after all, I don't know why so many people tend to be afraid of letting the engine rev even a little bit in first. It is anyday more desirable than lugging the engine in second at low rpm.
When I drove manual, I used to be in 5th by 50, easily and 1-2 at 5 kph, of course it was 100% city traffic but even at the ton mark (very rare) I used to keep it at around 2k revs. I hate the feeling of an elephant sitting on the car at 1st gear or while even pushing the car at higher revs at lower speed, my sole aim is to keep the revs under 2k at all times. This is why I cringe when people say high revving engine, can push to 7k RPM, etc.. when someone starts praising VTEC I run from them SO fast. In automatics, the clutch desigm itself has to be changed, else that first gear is an enemy. I'd program a gyroscope software into the DSG, where 1 kicks in only when the car has a substantial incline to face, else it should be 2 from speed 0.

Quote:
Agree, most ATs under 20L are rather unintelligent. I suppose that has more to do with the good people who developed the shifting logic not having much experience with Indian traffic. Add to that, not everyone provides a proper 'Sports' mode or paddle shifts to quicken things up when needed. DSGs to me remain a risky bet for long term ownership, especially as someone who uses his cars for a decade and likes to go touring with family. I'd rather stick to my torque converters. And all doubters of TCs need to experience the brilliance that is the PPG sourced 6 speed on the Hexa.
All I need from any automatic transmission is torque, billions of neuton meters of it. Not that I intend to race or drive sportily, but I want power on tap, no grunting, no jiggling and no panting.. the Audi had it (DCT), the Hyundais have it (worst torque converters ever), VW TSI engines have it.. I hated every automatic I've driven till date including many cars that have been praised endlessly here. Nothing comes a mile close to what my right and left foot can do.

The Kona is the car for my needs, it delivered oodles of torque till 80 and from the get go (that's all I need). Unfortunately that car has other problems.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 12:02   #4481
Senior - BHPian

Re: DCT trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I had a dct issue last night. I was travelling at moderate speeds when I had to brake at a turn due to an oncoming bike. The gear dropped to 2 and then failed to shift upward.
I had read about this type of problem in DSGs where the gearbox would give false neutrals meaning it won't move ahead even though it shows to be in gear. Was your car stuck in D2 and moving forward as the revs built and only failing to upshift? What happened when you stopped the car? Did it go back to D1? Were you able to shift it to N? This seems to be like a case of false neutral to me. For DSGs the fix back then was changing the gear box temperature control sensor. Hopefully Kia has a solution for you, but in no way should you take it lightly. If they ask you to reproduce the event and it doesn't happen in one go, don't try to strain the machine further. Something on the electronics side if at all can fix this issue, why put mechanical strain on components? Would suggest taking up the issue to Kia officials on email. Every such sporadic fault should log an error report in the memory. When they scan, make sure they don't erase error codes without showing them to you first.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 14:44   #4482
BHPian

Quote:
I'd program a gyroscope software into the DSG, where 1 kicks in only when the car has a substantial incline to face, else it should be 2 from speed 0.
dark.knight has a very valid point there. First gear is very rarely needed. In fact when I used to drive my good old Ambassador in the 70s and 80s I never used the 1st gear unless I was on a steep incline. On level ground, I used to start from 2nd gear and move up to 3rd as the speed crossed about 20 KMPH.
Shivaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 15:22   #4483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is why I cringe when people say high revving engine, can push to 7k RPM, etc.. when someone starts praising VTEC I run from them SO fast.

All I need from any automatic transmission is torque, billions of neuton meters of it. Not that I intend to race or drive sportily, but I want power on tap, no grunting, no jiggling and no panting.
This made me laugh

Well said , What you are referring to is Effortless acceleration, it needs power at lower engine speeds, no doubt. I find iVtec to be very difficult in the city, keeps my left foot busy, I'm sure there are fans for that sort of thing too.

While I find Hexa's auto transmission to be very smooth for a relaxed drive, VW DSG makes their diesel engines feel more diesely , Honda's CVT converts the car into a blender, all in the name of convenience. Nothing can beat the smoothness a good engine + manual gearbox can deliver, power when you need it , super smooth if you know how.

What Hyundai/ KIA is doing here is to fix a problem in the only way they can given current circumstances. They sure cannot make the engine bigger, so make a transmission that makes up for it. DCT is perhaps their best bet on this front.

Meanwhile, you can have a small engine, hardly any power on paper, heavy vehicle and still have a good second gear = Bolero Power+
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 16:34   #4484
BHPian

Re: DCT trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Was your car stuck in D2 and moving forward as the revs built and only failing to upshift? What happened when you stopped the car? Did it go back to D1? Were you able to shift it to N? This seems to be like a case of false neutral.
It shifted to D2 and held that gear. It did not upshift but revved as I pressed the throttle. Tried triptonic but gears did not upshift or downshift. Could put it in neutral and then subsequently to park. Restarted the engine and the gears were in order. No issues now. Have to take the car to service centre.
Old 21st December 2019, 17:08   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docahmer View Post
I gave my Seltos for its first servicing a couple of days back. Since then there is no UVO connectivity. Dealer says you need to speak to customer care. I did call and spoke to 4 different people at different times. Each one has a different answer. But not a solution.
Mine stopped working too on December 18. Took it to the service center today; they said there is an update. Post the update and factory re-set it is working. They mentioned that if it stops working it is likely there is an update to be installed.

Quite an inconvenient method of updating!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks